Start by marking “Op-Center (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #1)” as Want to Read:
Op-Center (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #1)

Op-Center (Tom Clancy's Op-Center #1)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  6,597 ratings  ·  103 reviews
Tom Clancy's Op-Center is the beating heart of America's defense, intelligence and crisis management technology. It is run by a crack team of operatives both within its own walls and out in the field. When a job is too dirty--or too dangerous--it's the only place our government can turn. But nothing can prepare Director Paul Hood and his Op-Center crisis management team fo ...more
Published April 10th 1995 by Harpercollins Publishers (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Op-Center, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Op-Center

Jeff Cheney
It's a decent book with plenty of action and thrill...I just don't like Tom Clancy's style. He spends a lot of time telling you stuff that's really irrelevant; going on about what gauge and model the shotgun is and what type/brand of ammunition it holds and how many per clip, etc. I don't care about any of that information. It doesn't help the story progress and it certainly isn't fun to read unless you are a firearms aficionado...which I'm not. I respect the research that goes in to something l ...more
Decided I wanted to re-read the Op-Center series. Previously enjoyed the balance of intrigue, espionage, and high-tech complexity.

This time, the first volume in the series struck me as really dated. Dated in terms of the technologies, of course. But even more so in the stilted roles for women. One of the female associated characters (wife of Hood) is conveyed as family-absorbed and unable to grasp the robustness of her husband's life and responsibilities. The other female secondary character see
I got burned out on Tom Clancy while in college, so this has sat on my shelf unread for the past almost 20 years. Now I know why. While Clancy still designed and executed a timely plot for when it was published (1995), the rest of the book bears little resemblence to Clancy's Jack Ryan series or Red Storm Rising. The book starts with some action, but it takes almost until the end for the plot to divide into multiple plotlines that are more typical of Clancy novels. Nor is the action the breathle ...more
The story was good, but I found things confusing for a large portion of the book. It's hard enough to start a new series where you have to introduce all of your main characters, but to have the main conflict occur in Korea, where the problem is between the north and south countries, was very confusing. It was hard to remember the acronyms for North and South Korea, plus all the names sounded the same and I had a hard time remembering who was from where.

I liked the underlying story line of the fa
For me is the first book I try in the famous Tom Clancy series, so I'm looking forward to see what is all about.

- interesting geopolitical plot unfolding with some twists and turns
- action packed scenes with snapshots from mainly US and south-east Asia and sometimes Japan locations
- pre-war building tensions and how some key leaders will act and react to those events

- quite descriptive and technical at times, maybe a bit to much as far as action goes, for the less interested in stats and
M. J.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Je n'ai jamais beaucoup apprécié les romans de Tom Clancy et celui-ci n'a pas fait exception à la règle...
Sep 27, 2015 Noah added it
To say that you feel like you've know a character for years is incorrect, when they struggle to stop a all out war consuming entire nations, you panic as cadets run from overwhelming odds, and you get wet eyes when some favorite character dies. When soldiers struggle against saving one man, practical brothers or saving a country, you feel relief if they do what you want, and frustration if they don't. It has that quick, intense action that makes you speed through each page, and a little bit of ...more
I decided to read this after meeting the original person after whom Gregory Donald was modeled, former ambassador Donald Gregory. He is a charming person, and I look forward to reading his memoir.
I found it tedious. There is a nice concept for the overall plot but no real character development, too many characters, and too much uninteresting technical details. It was clear the bad guys would get caught eventually but little else to be unraveled or to hold my interest. I read about 55% of the boo
Brendan Powell
Meh...I'll give this 3 of was a Tom Clancy-esq novel...and the author (Jeff Rovin) has more room to critique writing than I do...but...this guy clearly hasn't deal with the military at all...he hasn't seen, touched, or rode in any of the vehicles he mentions...

"10 Special operators jumping on a waiting jet-ranger to be carried to the base..."?! What? 206 is still a 4-seater last I checked...

Unscrewing lightbulbs that are swinging on wires inside a C-141...what?

Stuff like that kind of sna
I'm surprised to give three stars to this book, as I've read and intensely disliked most of Clancy's work, but this is not nearly so bad as many of his novels. Part of the explanation for that may be that, even though the cover bears his name, Clancy actually had little to do with the construction of this book. This is one of the many outsourced series that other writers pump out with Clancy's name on the cover. I doubt he even bothers to read them.

This is more or less a straightforward spy thri
Jose Wong
I regret to say that this is one of Tom Clancy's lemons. Yes, the book has nice detail that seems rather probably and most likely rather realistic; but this novel at times can be rather boring. Most action-packed pages are all crammed near the end, and I don't think its worth taking so much time to see this one part. If you can avoid it, go for another Clancy book.
Rose Munevar
I love Tom Clancy's books. They're exciting page turners from the start, and this one was no exception. He definitely has the formula down for writing good suspense!
I couldn't help but think how relevant this book still is some 17 years after it's publication in the N. Korea aspect. The only negative thing I can come up with is I had some trouble with the motive of the S. Korean rogue group that was at the center of the plot. Maybe it's due to my lack of knowledge of Korean history and culture,
I've never read a Tom Clancy novel before. Don't know what I've done with him. It was a great book that I literally couldn't put down. It took me less than a day to devour this book.

The story bounces back and forth between the US and Korea which can sometimes be a little confusing, I thought. The characters are introduced very quickly and it was a little difficult for me to keep them all straight. I had to go back and reference several times before I got it all figured out.

Great story, great pl
Beth Huddleston
Not something I would ordinarily pick up, I originally read this for my contemporary history class. It is filled with action, intrigue, and the potential for world destruction. Fast-paced read!
Conor Macleod
Thought it was a nice easy read. I wasnt exactly a crazy plot. Would have liked a few more twists and turns and excitement but it was alright to read on my travels.
Randy Grossman
Clancy's Op Center was ALOT like the CTU Unit of the TV series 24 (without Jack Bauer)....I love the short chapter usage and it was a fairly fast paced as it moved to set up to the conclusion....THEN the last 100 pages or so were very difficult to put down. Highly recommended.
Andrew Neill
An interesting style thriller that could actually have been written very recently, looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
i have read a Tom Clancy novel before this. so i decided to come back to the beginning of OP Center. i actually had too much expectations but after i toned down my expectations, i enjoyed the book. the death of the guy that lost his wife moved me though. i would have preferred it if he didn't die. and the president making OP Center public at the end was against my expectation. i would have preferred it if it remained an unknown operation. i gave i 4 stars because it was a good description if esp ...more
Dan Towner
Interesting premise, North and South Koreans work together to prevent unification.
Pretty decent political/military thriller. Nothing new or surprising for Clancy fans, which isn't a bad thing. Not sure I'll read the rest of the series.
Sharath Shankar
Absolutely loved it. Going on a frenzy with the rest of the series. :)
Kristine Hickman
A Clancy classic

Great story,smooth transition and excitement throughout the book making it hard to put down. Can't wait to see where the next story leads
(estimated date)

(was probably OK)

Paperback - gave it away.
It is not a very entertaining story, I thought to leave it.
Peter Charleston
Nice story. Dated by the time I read it.
Frank W Prideaux
I have loved all of Clancy's books.
A predictable, but solid, thriller.
Ruru Ghoshal
Thoroughly indifferent.
  • Net Force (Tom Clancy's Net Force, #1)
  • (Tom Clancy's Power Plays, #2)
  • SSN: A Strategy Guide to Submarine Warfare
  • EndWar (Tom Clancy's Endwar, #1)
  • The Deadliest Game (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #2)
  • Checkmate (Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, #3)
  • High Wire (Tom Clancy's Net Force Explorers, #14)

Tom Clancy's Op-Center (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Mirror Image (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #2)
  • Games of State (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #3)
  • Acts of War (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #4)
  • Balance of Power (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #5)
  • State of Siege (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #6)
  • Divide and Conquer (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #7)
  • Line of Control (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #8)
  • Mission of Honor (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #9)
  • Sea of Fire (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #10)
  • Call to Treason (Tom Clancy's Op-Center, #11)