Start by marking “The Naked Man: A Study of the Male Body” as Want to Read:
The Naked Man: A Study of the Male Body

The Naked Man: A Study of the Male Body (Studies of the Human Body #2)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  200 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
No life form has had a greater impact upon this planet than the human male. What is it that has made his legacy so utterly distinct from that of all other life forms, including even the human female? Following on from the international success of The Naked Woman, Desmond Morris investigates this intriguing evolutionary success story. The Naked Man is a study of the masculi ...more
Published January 3rd 2008 by Jonathan Cape

To ask other readers questions about The Naked Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Naked Man

The Systems View of Life by Fritjof CapraThe Human Zoo by Desmond MorrisThe Naked Ape by Desmond MorrisThe Third Chimpanzee by Jared DiamondIntimate Behavior by Desmond Morris
The Human Animal
7th out of 49 books — 12 voters
The Boxcar Children by Gertrude Chandler WarnerOne Thousand White Women by Jim FergusOf Mice and Men by John SteinbeckMiss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom RiggsThe Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman
Every Man, Woman and Child
151st out of 242 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Addicted to Books
2.5 Stars !

I was excited about this book and my excitement died down somewhere 80 pages into the book. That unbalanced and un researched take on male homosexuality at the end reduced the rating by one star . More on that later.

First of all, I just want to say a few things before I proceed to the review.

- I am a hot red blooded female who loves men and I am very interested and fascinated in the male species and I have done quite a bit of research about the points I bring up in my review.

- I am
Nathan
Nov 17, 2012 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The male body, its structure, appearance, function and uses, is described in descending order from the top of the head to the soles of the feet.

Morris has always been one to take the less-travelled path when it comes to his work, and this one is no different. He relies on a few select researchers who tend to back up his prefered position and is certainly happy to make all sorts of suppositions and suggestions when there is nothing to back anything up.

Basic rule of thumb: if the body part in ques
Sehar  Moughal
Jun 29, 2014 Sehar Moughal rated it really liked it
A day or so ago, I finished reading the "The Naked Woman" and couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. I wanted to know would there be stark differences between the male and female gender, specifically the perception of ideal bodies? Pretty soon I found the answer to my question; there were no photos in the book at all. NIL. I do not blame Desmond for that; I blame our societies and their distorted perception of female as nothing but a sexual body. For example, undue pressure is put on a fema ...more
Makomai
come scoprii che le mie figlie non sono figlie di mia moglie

Ho sempre amato Desmond Morris. Trovo i suoi libri intelligenti e ben scritti. Ma ho anche sempre avuto una remora: il suo evoluzionismo mi e’ sempre sembrato troppo speculativo e poco attento alle meccaniche genetiche. Sospettavo fosse dovuto alla sua formazione, ma… come si puo’ conciliare il mio amore per Morris con lo spettacolare errore a pag 52, che dimostra che non ha capito i meccanismi base dell’ereditarieta’? Parlando dell’ore
Seda Baykal
Mar 24, 2016 Seda Baykal rated it liked it
Türkçe baskısı NTV yayınlarında "Çıplak Adam" ismi ile mevcut. Erkek cinsiyetini biyolojik fizyolojik ve sosyolojik açıdan inceleyen kolay okunur bilimsel içerik. (Aynı yazarın The naked woman: The study of the woman body adlı kitabı da mevcut fakat okumadım.)
Deborah Vespo
Apr 11, 2014 Deborah Vespo rated it it was ok
Took home from work when I read a few interesting passages. Not as scientific as I thought it would be.
Selena Stan
Mar 12, 2016 Selena Stan rated it it was ok
The idea behind the book is interesting but the style is somehow boring. Unclear sources of information which cast a question mark on the validity of various parts of the book. Got bored after the first 4-5 chapters and gave up on reading...
Ram Kishor Poddar
Oct 05, 2013 Ram Kishor Poddar rated it it was amazing
Read this book along with another book in the same line " The naked Women" to get a wholesome picture. "The Naked Women" was written before this book and referances have been revised. As i stated in the review of "The Naked women" this too is an absolute masterpiece and a must read.
Edith Wasco
Es un libro interesante, con mucha información y datos curiosos, pero es altamente especulativo y comparado con otros libros de Morris (El zoo humano y El Mono Desnudo) no es muy bueno. A pesar de todo, cosas buenas aquí y allá sí las tiene.
Rory
Apr 28, 2011 Rory rated it it was ok
Highly speculative. Largely consists of the author's own pseudo-scientific musings.

Good idea for coffee-table book, but lacking substance for anyone interested in a serious approach to why a male body is the way it is.
Shannon Vyff
Mar 14, 2008 Shannon Vyff rated it it was amazing
This is Desmond Morris's latest book, published 08--he is prescient as always and it gives so much more meaning and breadth to his monumental work now, having read The Naked Ape, as a teen.
Elizabeth Moffat
Excellent book for anyone who is interested in the human body and how it works. Complete guide from hair to buttocks to feet! Brilliant ancedotes and useless information also. Worth a read!
Florence
Desmond Morris always has an amusing analysis and he doesn't disappoint in this book. I learned the insulting, obscene hand gestures from many different countries.
Barbara
Feb 18, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
An entertaining and interesting mix of facts, urban legends presented as fact, and speculation about the human male body, each chapter covering a different body part.
Ala'a Al jazaeri
Apr 20, 2014 Ala'a Al jazaeri rated it it was amazing
Gives you a perspective of the reproduction power and it's effect on how our body functions
Jenny
Dec 04, 2011 Jenny rated it it was ok
Un libro interesante al que le gusta saber cosas curiosas del cuerpo humano.
A.soorianarayanan
A.soorianarayanan marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Zeferino Ramirez
Zeferino Ramirez marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Joel Legg
Joel Legg marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
K
K rated it really liked it
Arun
Arun is currently reading it
Nilesh
Nilesh marked it as to-read
Mohammed Mortada
Mohammed Mortada marked it as to-read
Nahelli
Nahelli marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
O V
O V marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Tubism
Tubism marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • Aloha Betrayed: Native Hawaiian Resistance to American Colonialism
  • 'Isms & 'Ologies: All the Movements, Ideologies and Doctrines That Have Shaped Our World
  • Race, Monogamy, and Other Lies They Told You: Busting Myths about Human Nature
  • The Aquatic Ape Hypothesis (Condor Independent Voices)
  • Sleep Thieves: an Eye-Opening Exploration into the Science and Mysteries of Sleep
  • The Xenophobe's Guide to the Germans
  • The Case of the Female Orgasm: Bias in the Science of Evolution
  • Dawn of the Deed: The Prehistoric Origins of Sex
  • The Multi-Orgasmic Couple: Sexual Secrets Every Couple Should Know
  • The Science of Love and Betrayal
  • Expletive Deleted: A Good Look at Bad Language
  • The Complete Costume History / Vollstandige Kostumgeschichte / Le Costume Historique
  • Masters of Deception: Escher, Dali, and the Artists of Optical Illusion
  • Tantric Orgasm for Women
  • Sex and Temperament in Three Primitive Societies
  • Your Call Is Important to Us: The Truth About Bullshit
  • A Natural History of Human Thinking
Desmond John Morris is most famous for his work as a zoologist and ethologist, but is also known as a surrealist artist and author.

More about Desmond Morris...

Studies of the Human Body (2 books)
  • The Naked Woman: A Study of the Female Body