Start by marking “Book of Exodus (Old Testament Library)” as Want to Read:
Book of Exodus (Old Testament Library)

Book of Exodus (Old Testament Library)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  241 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Taking a pioneering approach to commentary writing, Brevard Childs gives an entirely original treatment to the book of Exodus. Apart from the philological notes and translation, this commentary includes a form-critical section, looking at the growth of the tradition in its previous stages; a consideration of the meaning of the text in its present form; and a consideration ...more
Published January 1st 1974 by Westminster John Knox Press (first published 1611)

To ask other readers questions about Book of Exodus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of Exodus

Laura Motta
Proof of two things: That Penguin's repackaging efforts can indeed go too far, and that even God needed an editor.
Perry Whitford
Baby Moses in the basket, the burning bush, the ten plagues, Passover, the parting of the Red Sea, manna from heaven in the wilderness, the Sabbath, the Ten Commandments, the golden calf, the Ark of the Covenant; I don't doubt you know the contents, whether you learnt them at Sunday School or from Cecil B. DeMille and Charlton Heston.

I learnt about the Old Testament at school, but I can't recall that we actually read any of it. Read childishly dramatized versions of it, were told about it, saw f
Zeynep
May 31, 2016 Zeynep rated it really liked it
shoutout to my girl zipporah, her knife and her quick decision-making skills.
Faye
It feels odd for me to rate a book of the Bible only 3 stars, but my rating is in reference to the presentation of this volume of the Penguin Epics series rather than to the work itself. In my opinion, they should have taken the most interesting excerpts from the entire Moses story, right up until his death in Deuteronomy, rather than just slapping a fancy cover on the entire book of Exodus, mind-numbing lists of the tabernacle's measurements and all. It would have been much more "epic" that way ...more
Luiz Fabricio
Very Good, until it turned to an instructions manual (English/português)

While the life of Moses in Egypt and the plagues he delivered to Egypt, helped by Aaron, are very interesting, God hardening the Pharaoh’s heart didn’t help Egypt or the Exodus, per se. What was the purpose of God? I'm not sure. The fact is that the people of Israel were delivered from Egypt after Moses and Aaron have released plagues in Egypt equivalent to all kinds of Magic Level 20 Dungeons & Dragons in Egypt and left

Realini
Jan 31, 2015 Realini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exodus from The Bible
Mesmerizing

- Better late than never
I may find the absolute truth later in life than expected.
When I was a little boy, we had an older woman looking after myself and my sister.
She was very religious, but the fact that she kept talking about the Holy texts had a counter effect on my experience.
I wonder if I can engage on the right path at last, having decided against the derision and arrogance that was my attitude so far.
The number of reference books to read is huge, but I am
Jules
Feb 21, 2015 Jules rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-challenge
Part of my READ THE BIBLE WITHIN A YEAR challenge.

Wish me luck, as I've got a long way to go!

In comparison to Genesis, I found Exodus to be far more focused. The story flowed much better. Genesis included so much information about so many people, that it seemed somewhat fractured in its storytelling.

Exodus tells the story of Moses from birth.

The prominent theme appears to be redemption.

Main Subjects:

Slavery
Baby moses in his basket
Moses & the burning bush
The staff being turned into a snake
Th
Robert D. Cornwall
Jan 08, 2014 Robert D. Cornwall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, bible
Read this book many years ago for my seminary class in the Book of Exodus. An excellent, indepth, exploration of this seminal book of the Hebrew Bible
Wren (WrensReads)
I have always been a Christian. I was brought up in a Christian home, I had Sunday school every Sunday and Wednesday night church every, well, Wednesday. I went to church camps, I was baptized, and I went to Christian school and even had those corny cartoon illustrations of Bible Stores on tape.

So why is it that I have never fully read the Bible?

You would think being the brought-up Christian I am that I would have. I mean I said I had before. I even told people I have read it thirty times! I was
Elias Vasilis Kontaxakis
"God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'I AM has sent me to you.’"

With Jacob’s descendants prospering in Egypt, it was only a matter of time before the Israelites multiplied and became a dominant force in Egyptian life. Worried, the Pharaoh (Ramses II?) conscripted the Hebrews into labor projects that sapped their strength, but when this didn’t work he began killing the newly born males of every family. (Note how it would have wiser to kill each female
Joan Haughton
Apr 12, 2014 Joan Haughton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leviticus, the Second book of the Bible written by Moses as inspired by the Holy Spirit. After Joseph died and the Egyptians forgot what he did for the nation. The children of Israel became numerous and filled the land of Egypt, the King became afraid that they might join their enemies and fight against them. He enslaved the people of God and planned to kill all new born Jewish boys. Moses was put in a basket by his mother and the sister of Pharaoh and brought up has her son.

On growing up Moses
Brian Schiebout
Apr 27, 2013 Brian Schiebout rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exodus is the second book in the bible, it was written by Moses and inspired by God. This book first tells the story of how God rescued his chosen people from Egypt and then explains the nature of worship and the building of a place of worship. The fact that God does many miracles and saves his people is very exciting and many people end their reading of Exodus with chapter twenty when Moses has saved the people and brought down the law. However I think the second half of the book may be more im ...more
Nathan C.
Apr 06, 2012 Nathan C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second of the books of Moses (Torah), and the second book in the Bible, Exodus is the unparalleled story of the most miraculous liberation of slaves in all of history. It also contains the first song recorded in the Bible (the Song of Moses, a song of praise to God for His mighty victory over Pharaoh), and one of the oldest moral and legal codes known--the Sinaitic Law and the 10 Commandments.

It lays down the basis for the 3 feasts of the Israelites, including Pesaj, or the feast of the Pass
Jared
Jan 16, 2016 Jared rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It started off well with a decently written narrative. But the second half bogs down in endless minutia about how precisely to make every item at the sanctuary. It also repeats itself. By saying "Here precisely how to make this box, and this lamp, etc." Then once that's completed, it starts over saying "They made the box precisely this way, this size, with this much gold etc." It's about one of the worst endings you could imagine to a promising first half of the story.
Josh Baker
Sep 21, 2013 Josh Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it's a love story, pure and simple, best seen as a transition from slavery into triumph into tragedy, followed by merciful reconciliation. I looked at the second half as a bride groom (God) setting up the perfect wedding (the Covenant), gathering all the material things that are important to his bride (the Israelites; past, present, and future) in consecration of the eternal bond the ceremony creates between the two lovers. looking at it that way, Israel basically slept with someone else (worshi ...more
Diana
Jan 24, 2015 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this in a Bible study group. Our teacher, Barbara Suhar is also a historian. She taught us to look at the text through our 21st Century eyes and to understand what life was like when Exodus was taking place. Forever changed by this reading.
Theresa
Apr 04, 2016 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2nd book in the Bible. Written by Moses under the inspiration of God.

Starts with the birth of Moses and his life as the son of Pharaoh's daughter. We then see him receiving his call into God's service at the burning bush and his confrontation with Pharaoh and the seven plagues of Egypt.

The majority of the book are the experiences of the Israelites during their wanderings in the Sinai desert; crossing the Red Sea, Manna in the wilderness and Moses receiving the Ten Commandments.

The last part are
Rui Coelho
Surprisingly unexciting for a book about popular liberation.
Vrixton Phillips
Pretty great at the beginning with the story of Moses &c. but once he gets to Sinai... well it depends what you're reading it for. I for one enjoyed reading the various laws, but when it came to building the Tabernacle I zoned out.
Literally goes through everything involved in the Tabernacle three times: once as God describes it to Moses, once as the two men build it, and again the Tabernacle is put together. And then it reviews how much gold, silver, bronze, and cloth it took to build it. A
Glen
Jan 25, 2015 Glen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading as part of "Read the Bible in a Year"
Alisia
Reading as literature, not theology.
Caleb
Dec 31, 2011 Caleb rated it really liked it
Shelves: commentary
Really helpful commentary on several levels. One should be warned that Childs is still somewhat invested in the source critical method here. He reviews the critical scholarship of the 19th and 20th centuries (these sections are dense, but helpful for one seeking an awareness of the critical methods of Exodus research) but then turns ultimately to exegeting the text in its final form while garnering various insights from ancient Jewish and Christian interpretation. Will consult in the future.
Patti
Oct 31, 2015 Patti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learned a lot about obeying the commandments and how much we are loved by the Lord who helps us even when we fall short in doing what we are supposed to.
Corey Sharpe
Dec 21, 2012 Corey Sharpe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are two things that really set Childs’ commentary apart. For each section of text, he discusses 1) the New Testament use of the Old Testament text, 2) the history of its interpretation, and any related theological issues. He takes a critical stance, which I have difficulty with. Still, an excellent commentary for those wanting to dig deeper in the most important book of the Old Testament. Every pastor should have this.
Ellen Lee
i liked the first 3/4 or so but i thought it fell a bit at the end. all they wanted to talk about was how to build a tabernacle
Hassan Chaudhry
This is part of the torah or old testament in the bible. This is the classic tale of Moses and his liberation of the slaves from Egypt. Considering I have went to church for years and I never read it was odd, so I had decided to read it. It is pretty interesting but the language is different from current so it is a bit odd reading it. If you are a Catholic there's a good chance you have already read this.
Noël DeVries
Sep 18, 2013 Noël DeVries rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
20 Feb 2012

And when the cloud was taken up from over the tabernacle, the children of Israel went onward in all their journeys: But if the cloud were not taken up, then they journeyed not till the day that it was taken up. For the cloud of the LORD was upon the tabernacle by day, and fire was on it by night, in the sight of all the house of Israel, throughout all their journeys.
Joan Haughton
Jan 06, 2014 Joan Haughton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Bible book, one filled with signs and wonders, the deliverance of God's people who still murmur at every turn, yet God remained faithful. In Chapter 20 the ten commandments were given. There were also other laws given, it is a great book. Bless the name of Jesus!
Timothy
Dec 24, 2015 Timothy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Appreciated it to continue my "backdrop" I am studying the first five books of the bible to get a better understanding of the New Testament (Greek scriptures).
Janice
Jul 16, 2015 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the stories on how Moses lead all the israelites out of Egypt is super interesting. God is awesome.
  • The Book of Leviticus (New International Commentary on the Old Testament)
  • The Prophecy of Isaiah: An Introduction & Commentary
  • Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament
  • Psalms 73-150
  • Commentary on Romans
  • A Practical Grammar for Classical Hebrew
  • The Epistles to the Colossians, to Philemon, and to the Ephesians (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Book of Proverbs, Chapters 1-15
  • Understanding Genesis
  • The Birth of the Messiah
  • Matthew for Everyone: Part One, Chapters 1-15
  • Matthew for Everyone Part Two Chapters 16-28
  • The Message of Ephesians (Bible Speaks Today NT)
  • The Epistle to the Romans
  • The Gospel of Matthew
  • The Real Jesus: The Misguided Quest for the Historical Jesus & the Truth of the Traditional Gospels
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Gospel of Luke
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...