Start by marking “Tartuffe” as Want to Read:
Tartuffe

Tartuffe

3.66  ·  Rating Details ·  24,428 Ratings  ·  553 Reviews
Tartuffe, or the Imposter is a comedy in five acts and in verse by Molière, and one of his most famous plays. It was condemned and banned from the stage for five years by the outcry of the « dévots », who were very influential at the kings court in Molière’s day. Tartuffe is a satire on religious hypocrisy. The religious fraud Tartuffe, a penniless scoundrel, worms his way ...more
Paperback, Norton Critical Editions, 229 pages
Published October 1st 2008 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1664)

To ask other readers questions about Tartuffe, please sign up.

Olivia-jade Tribert In this play, Molière is sort of pointing the fingers at frauds who uses extremely pious behaviour in order to climb up the set social classes.…moreIn this play, Molière is sort of pointing the fingers at frauds who uses extremely pious behaviour in order to climb up the set social classes. Tartuffe is sort of a bum, but his religious ways fool everyone into thinking he's someone admirable that should be helped and cared for, since he acts in such ways. However, Tartuffe simply wants to get his ways into Oregon's wealth. Tartuffe is a synonym of "fraud" in French. (less)

Ahmad Sharabiani
Le Tartuffe, ou L’Imposteur=Tartuffe, or The Impostor, or The Hypocrite, Molière
عنوان: تارتوف؛ اثر: مولیر؛ مترجم: مهشید نونهالی؛ تهران، نشر قطره، 1391؛ در 152 ص؛ شابک: 9786001195334؛ موضوع: نمایشنامه های نویسندگان فرانسول قرن 17 م
تارتوف یا شیاد، فریبکار، ریائی، غاصب، منافق؛ از مشهورترین کمدیهای مولیر است؛ روانشاد محمدعلی فروغی نیز با عنوان «میرزا کمال الدین» به روش اقتباس همین اثر را ترجمه کرده است. در این کمدی، مولیر از یکی از آسیبها و مشکلات موجود در فرانسه ی قرن 17 سخن میگوید؛ و انسانهایی را
Riku Sayuj
Mocking the Heavens

As I read this I was reminded most often of the god-men of India: of their scandals, of their dedicated followers who are so willingly duped, and of the politicians who pretend to be devoted for their own purposes.

I can only imagine what parallel suggestion would have been easily engendered in the French minds as they sat through this devastating play.

It is no surprise that there was such outage. It is no surprise that it was banned for so long. The device Moliere employs is t
James
Book Review
4 out of 5 stars to Tartuffe a play written in 1664 by Molière. I read this play as part of a course on Theatre and Drama several years ago. I also acted in a staged version of this story. I really enjoyed it, especially learning more about the characters and story through the director's eyes and opinions. The story is about a con artist who worms his way into a family's affections by claiming to be a religious man. The father essentially offers his daughters hand in marriage to t
Debbie Zapata
Jan 02, 2016 Debbie Zapata rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gutenberg
While reading the Chekhov play Ivanoff recently, I became curious about why one character told another not to be a Tartuffe. I Googled and discovered that in French and English, calling anyone a Tartuffe means that they are a hypocrite, especially one who pretends to be overly pious. And I learned that the term comes from the play of the same name by Moliere. So here we are with my first Stray Cat book of 2016; one of those books that curl purring around your ankles until you simply have to read ...more
Manny
Jan 14, 2009 Manny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I read this play for the first time, I had a strange feeling that I'd seen it somewhere before. Cretinous Orgon can't understand what's obvious to the audience and everyone else in the play, namely that the slimy cleric Tartuffe is not only trying to ruin him, but also to get into his wife's pants. He seems to have neatly engineered his own downfall when - hey presto! - a deus ex machina saves the day. It's very funny.

After a little thought, I realized that this is the basic structure of se
Anna *no longer in use*

What! Will you find no difference between
Hypocrisy and genuine devoutness?
And will you treat them both alike, and pay
The self-same honour both to masks and faces
Set artifice beside sincerity,
Confuse the semblance with reality,
Esteem a phantom like a living person,
And counterfeit as good as honest coin?

Reread for school. Surprisingly, I liked it even more the second time around.

Also Dorine is amazing, all right?

Dorine

Then what’s your plan about this other match?

Mariane

To kill myself, if it
Kassia
Jun 04, 2011 Kassia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-2011
As a Christian myself, I read Tartuffe with close precision. Taking apart each verse, I tried to figure out if the play was really an attack on Christianity and my faith. However, after close examination of the play, I found that the play doesn’t really try to attack the Christian faith. Rather, it tries extremely hard to avoid such an attack, and instead simply targets the hypocrites in the Church at the time.

Many parts of the play show the respect that Moliere had for religion. An example o
Gorgona Grim
Za potpuno razumevanje "Tartifa" neophodno je pomenuti kontekst u kojem ovo delo nastaje. U Francuskoj tog doba (1660ih) su svi koji su na bilo koji način delovali i govorili protiv vere i crkve bili surovo kažnjavani, bez obzira na Nantski edikt koji je garantovao versku slobodu protestantima. Ovakve okolnosti uticale su na međuljudske odnose, uzrokujući strah i zaziranje od špijuniranja i špijuna u vidu rođaka ili komšije koji bi mogli da ih prokažu organima vlasti zbog krivoverja i blasfemije ...more
miaaa
Nov 18, 2009 miaaa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to miaaa by: ninus
I'm asking myself, and keep looking at the introduction, 'was this book really published in 17th century?' I'm practically astounded and enjoy every bits of it.

Pathetic people always amuse me. I'd rather have a personal conversation with my God than showing off to other people that I go to church on regular basis. Dude I know some people who go to church to find a hubby/wife/bf/gf!

***

Hanya bisa bilang, Tartuffe hebat! Setiap orang harusnya tidak setengah-setengah dalam melakukan apapun. Jika kau
Andreea Deea
Dec 16, 2016 Andreea Deea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I swear, no matter how tired, sad or angry I am...somehow, Moliere always manages to put a smile on my face! I like to read his books , listen to the audiobooks.....I can't get tired to read/listen his masterpieces! Because, he was a genius and his work is brilliant!!
In my opinion he is one of the greatest masters of comedy in western literature! Hands down!!
Now, let's talk about 'Tartuffe'!!
This was good, not as good as 'The Learned Ladies', 'The Imaginary Invalid' or 'The Impostures of Scap
Nicholas Armstrong
I thought this was rather good. I think my issue, as it is with most plays, is that it wasn't meant to be read. The reactions, the slapstick antics of Dorine and Orgon, these were all meant to be performed and witnessed to highten their humor. As it is, the dialogue is amusing, and much of the humor can still seep through, but I know that where I was smirking with the text I would probably be laughing at the play.

Outside of that, I think if it was a play I was watching I would love it. To commit
Jason
Feb 22, 2013 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2013, drama
Tartuffe was banned from public performance for several years because of the Catholic church--the Archbishop of Paris declared that anyone who saw, performed in, or even read the play would be excommunicated. Apparently he was upset about the false piety of the title character. For me though, the work is more of a scathing critique of a family patriarch who leads his family to misery and disaster because of his blind allegiance to such a figure (an even bigger dig at the church?). But the real s ...more
Jaksen
Jan 07, 2016 Jaksen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first read I was so confused, then I remembered I AM READING A PLAY.

A play, by necessity, is all dialogue and some action. Therefore, the fact I had no idea who anyone was, well wth was I thinking? I made a copy of the actors and who they were on notepad, and referred to his as I read until I figured out who everyone is. No info-dumps for sure. You need to read - or watch the play - and PAY ATTENTION to know who is who.

I have just told any play-goer or play-reader what he or she already know
Imogen Kathleen
I wasn't planning on reading this just yet, but a two hour drive home from school (which is usually a twenty minute drive) persuaded me. Tartuffe is a satirical play by the acclaimed French play-write Molière, dealing with a family taken in by a manipulative and hypocritical religious man.

The Good

- Dorine. Though apparently a stock character of Molière (I haven't read any of his other works), I really enjoyed her character and was most amused by her humour than any other.
- Religious satire. I
From BBC Radio 3 - Drama on 3:
A Liverpool Playhouse production of Roger McGough's version of Moliere's comedy Tartuffe.

The wealthy merchant Orgon has taken in an apparently indigent religious man, Tartuffe. He is a beacon of piety and soon has his feet firmly under the table. But all is not as it seems and as Orgon becomes more enraptured with his new companion the whole city is chattering. Is he a friend, a fraud, a miracle or a hypocrite?

Елена
Пуф, в началото докато оправя роднинските връзки и разбера, кой на кого е слуга... трудна работа. Обаче пиесата си беше смешна и определено края си беше подобаващ.
❀Eryn❀
Oct 25, 2016 ❀Eryn❀ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-no, 2-stars, own
2 stars

Had to read this for my Theatre class, and it was OK. I've read better plays though, and I have to say that the rhyming was annoying at first, but then grew on me because I realized the writer had to rhyme EVERYTHING in the play. Which made me realize had to have taken tremendous talent! I mean, that's over 100 pages of constant rhyming!

Overall, it wasn't anything special but it wasn't horrible.
BookCupid
Nov 27, 2014 BookCupid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, own
Ah, Tartuffe! Proof that adoration towards a human being is wrong.

Orgon invites Tartuffe into his home, promptly giving him all of his time and devotion, as well as his young daughter's hand in marriage. His family thinks Tartuffe is using him. Can Orgon see reason before it's too late?

Even though I was expecting some sort of coup, Molière surprised me with the outcome. Funny with great rhymes and quotes, Tartuffe just became one of my favorite comedies.
✹Ceemo✹
Jun 26, 2016 ✹Ceemo✹ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dorine, sass master since 1664
David Sarkies
Mar 16, 2013 David Sarkies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
Conned by a Charlatan
18 May 2013

Isn't it interesting that there are some sectors of society that get really upset if you poke fun at them, or even criticise them in anyway. Normally this happens because these particular people are well aware that what they are doing is wrong and that they are simply playing on people's stupidity to get away with what is little more than fraud. Much of the offence that is generated is not so much offence at the fun, but rather that what the person are doing is r
Sherry Elmer
Mar 14, 2017 Sherry Elmer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
I am surprised this funny play is not more widely read and recommended. And the rhymed translation by Richard Wilbur is excellent.
Bruce
Aug 21, 2012 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(my translation is by Morris Bishop)

At first glance a relatively easy play to categorize simply as farce, further reflection on Molière’s Tartuffe raises vexing questions. The story is simple. A religious zealot, Tartuffe, is rescued from poverty by Orton and brought to live in his benefactor’s home where his strict moral attitudes raise havoc with the rest of the family. Eventually Tartuffe makes the mistake of wooing Orton’s wife, Elmire, is kicked out of the house (but only after Orton has su
Sep 23, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, Moliere succeeds in creating a funny yet scathing play, this time attacking religious hypocrisy and blind faith towards the King. I have to admit, I haven't actually laughed at many plays- that is reserved for truly good comedies such as the works of Oscar Wilde, Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot, and the works of Moliere. Tartuffe is definitely a play that caused me to chuckle at least a few times; what a smart comedy this is!

My one gripe about Tartuffe is that while Tartuffe himse
Ben
Mar 03, 2014 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Molière tackles in this work religious hypocrisy and does so in a manner that is superior to (but as controversial as) Sinclair Lewis' Elmer Gantry. But as daring as Molière's classic work may have been in the 1660s and as controversial as it may still be today, the playwright's fault (in my eyes) is his glowing admiration for the monarchy. Much like the philosopher Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel, one can't help but wonder how much more radical would have been his writing if not so constrained by ...more
Scarlett
Banned during the reign of Louis XIV. as too scandalous and daring in its open attitudes towards the Church and its trespasses, Tartuffe is a typical product of the most light-hearted of those three Kings of French theatre. (I call him 'The Witty', Corneille is 'The Noble' and Racine 'The Tragedian'.)

I think that the most pronounced trait of Molière's writing is probably his supreme ability to mingle some great truths of life with his poignant, brilliant sense of humour and Tartuffe is no except
Daphne
Mar 20, 2015 Daphne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quest
description

Any book or play that starts with a grandmother reading the hell out of her entire family - well, sign me up.

description

The body of the text? Well, it's twisted, funny, and thoroughly enjoyable. The maid was - well, spicy as f***

Final thoughts?

Tristan
Mar 15, 2013 Tristan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, plays
A hilarious comedy about the early, french Con-Man, holds with such poetics the flaws of man and his blind adoration and faith in religion. Religion, although popular during this time (1660s), is being criticized in that one could not blindly believe in a preacher preaching, so one must tread carefully in lying faith.

Although the ending felt tacked on, it served for two meanings for me. One that faith in the King could be blindly assured; and the irony of allowing yourself to do so in the forme
Bettie☯
Feb 19, 2009 Bettie☯ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bettie☯ by: Susanna
Daria Bejan
Si parca ar semana cu scrierile lui Caragiale.
http://www.hits4slim.com/bellesse-nouvebelle.html 1 2 Nov 08, 2015 03:30AM
  • La guerre de Troie n'aura pas lieu
  • The Marriage of Figaro (Le Nozze Di Figaro): Vocal Score
  • Iphigenia in Aulis
  • Uncle Vanya
  • Knock ou le triomphe de la médecine
  • Le Mariage de Figaro
  • She Stoops to Conquer
  • Ruy Blas
  • Zemsta
  • L'île des esclaves
Jean-Baptiste Poquelin, also known by his stage name, Molière, was a French playwright and actor who is considered one of the greatest masters of comedy in Western literature. Among Molière's best-known dramas are Le Misanthrope, (The Misanthrope), L'Ecole des femmes (The School for Wives), Tartuffe ou l'Imposteur, (Tartuffe or the Hypocrite), L'Avare ou l'École du mensonge (The Miser), Le Malade ...more
More about Molière...