Start by marking “Tower Stories: An Oral History of 9/11” as Want to Read:
Tower Stories: An Oral History of 9/11

Tower Stories: An Oral History of 9/11

4.25  ·  Rating Details  ·  194 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Damon DiMarco's Tower Stories: An Oral History of 9/11 eternally preserves a monumental tragedy in American history through the voices of the people who were in Lower Manhattan and elsewhere in New York City on that fateful day.

The stories DiMarco has collected come from a diverse group of human beings: individuals who managed to escape from the Towers; the bereaved of 9/1
Published August 1st 2007 by Santa Monica Press (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tower Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tower Stories

Into Thin Air by Jon KrakauerIsaac's Storm by Erik LarsonIn the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel PhilbrickA Night to Remember by Walter LordAlive by Piers Paul Read
Non-fiction Disaster Books
42nd out of 103 books — 152 voters
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer102 Minutes by Jim DwyerJust a Drop of Water by Kerry O'Malley CerraFirehouse by David HalberstamFalling Man by Don DeLillo
9/11 Related
62nd out of 126 books — 157 voters

More lists with this book...

Donald
Jul 06, 2008 Donald rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I could not put this book down. Very compelling oral history of 9/11, from survivors, rescue workers and volunteers, and family and friends of the victims. The editor, Damon DiMarco, wisely divided this 524-page book into five sections: At the Towers; Outside the Towers; Ground Zero and the Volunteers; The Aftermath; and Viewpoints. So it covers a wide spectrum—from the attacks and the fight for survival, to the rescue effort, to the clean up and rebuilding of communication networks, to the effe ...more
Nancy Kennedy
Nov 15, 2013 Nancy Kennedy rated it really liked it
Damon DiMarco talked with people immediately after the 9/11 attacks, literally walking the streets and stopping passersby. The accounts he records have the ring of authenticity and immediacy. The author is channeling his inner Studs Terkel here! The stories read exactly as people talk, although I'm sure a great deal of editing was required. Mr. DiMarco is a fine writer who has made a valuable contribution to 9/11 literature.

Although difficult to read, the book is one I am glad to have read. Towa
Shannon
Aug 02, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic
For the most part this was an excellent book. Most of the stories are interesting and really do show a slice of history that needs to be preserved. I like that there are occasional updates about some of the storytellers.

What I didn't like is that there are 2 sections of the book I could have done without. The one about how 9/11 effected the..."average", maybe, New Yorker. The guy who's shop across the street from WTC isn't getting business and the guy who wandered around and saw flyers and an i
Leigh
Oct 13, 2011 Leigh rated it liked it
This book was a four star book for me until the very last chapter. True accounts from people in and around events from 9-11, specifically the Twin Towers. Amazing stories of self sacrifice, bravery, heroism, survival, and most of all the special and unique American spirit. I loved how the author provided all kinds of different stories from people in the building, people on airplanes, people who worked nearby, people who helped set up food and shelter for workers, people who helped get the phone ...more
Lauren
Sep 21, 2010 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
We all remember what we were doing. Many people call it a Kennedy moment. I was doing homework. I was 6 or 7 at the time, so I don't recall much about what happened. But I remember my mom crying, I remember watching footage on the news, the Towers falling, the airplanes grounded, EVERYONE calling everyone they knew. And I was scared it would ruin my Birthday(Sept. 15).

Tower Stories is divided into 5 different parts: At the Towers; Outside the Towers; Ground Zero and the Volunteers; The Aftermath
Peggy Walker
Feb 04, 2013 Peggy Walker rated it it was amazing
I wanted to read something looking back on the events of 9/11 at this time of the 10th anniversary. This was the update from 2007. There is another one that is more recent from 2009. I very sincerely recommend this book for a series of snapshots of that day and the aftermath. These were oral histories taken within days or at most about a month after 9/11. It is divided into sections roughly equivalent to the distance from Ground Zero. The first section was taken from people in the Towers who sur ...more
Denise
Oct 22, 2011 Denise rated it it was amazing
Incredible, emotional anthology of the stories of the victims and volunteers of 9/11. Their memories and recounts of that day and the days and weeks immediately following the attack take you closer than you would ever care to be to the terror, chaos and loss experienced at Ground Zero. At the same time, it's important to read and understand it, to never forget.

The way the citizens of New York, as well as others across the country, rallied to assist in the recovery efforts is nothing short of ex
Roxanne
Dec 18, 2015 Roxanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the towers fell I had woken up late due to working late and my parents had this event on tv. I felt horrified and sick to my stomach. This story tells everything from what happened, to the survivors, the first responders etc. It took me months of nightmares to get over this and one of my friends died there.
Cindy
Aug 19, 2015 Cindy rated it it was amazing
This was a great book about 9/11 from different angles and views. Everyone should read this as we should not forget this day and all that dies that tragic day.
Joe
Oct 25, 2014 Joe rated it liked it
The most up to date account of the Events of September 11th
detailing not only the attacks on the WTC but also the history of the Twin Towers
Kim Davern
Sep 07, 2011 Kim Davern rated it it was amazing
This book had so many stories of loss, courage, dedication, love, bravery and kindness. I couldn't put it down and still can't stop thinking about it. I can't imagine what it was like to have been in the towers on Sept. 11 and to have escaped. And to think about the horrible experience of those who didn't. Some stories were dedications of people who died that day in the towers, on the planes or in the pentagon. Some stories were about the volunteers who helped so much afterward. The stories of l ...more
Suzette Kunz
Sep 19, 2014 Suzette Kunz rated it really liked it
First person accounts, unedited. Very interesting.
Danielle
Great for narrative nonfiction.
Jamie
Aug 22, 2011 Jamie rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure if I could emotionally handle this book, but I am so glad I gave it a chance. As sad as it was, overall, I was glad I got the chance to learn about some of the lives of the people lost. In addition, the stories of heroism and volunteerism were welcome perspectives and while they do not take away from the tragedy that was/is 9/11, they certainly help one realize that those are two ways we can triumph over terrorism and move forward to continue picking up the pieces.
Ris
Aug 03, 2012 Ris rated it liked it
Can't read too much in one sitting...rather read a chapter here and there. These stories are from very different and interesting points of view and this book really shows how we banded together as Americans to help each other after this horrible tragedy. I started losing interest about 65% through. I also did not care for the "viewpoints" section at the end at all. Politics give me tired head. (over all, I preferred the book 102 minutes)
Oct 26, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
This was a difficult book to read because it felt so immediate. These stories were told to the author within days and weeks of the events of 9/11 (with short follow-ups later on) and were just as raw and real and emotional as you would expect. If you want to read any book on this topic, I would recommend this one.
Linda
Oct 26, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing
This was a very good book about September 11th. The book is a compilation of interviews given by many people about their experience on 9-11 (in the towers, outside the towers, the rescue workers, etc.)

It is difficult to read for obvious reasons, but tells the story very well.
Nina
Sep 25, 2010 Nina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sad, brutally honest, real. This book was recommended to me by my friend Kerfe. It is important to read what the witnesses of this pivotal event had to say about this day. Hard to read, but necessary to all Americans to know what really happened.
Matt Lukens
Jan 09, 2013 Matt Lukens rated it really liked it
This book was amazing. It showed many gripping stories about people trying to survive inside the world trade center. It was very interesting and kept my attention the whole time. Great book.
Jan
Sep 21, 2011 Jan rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! Really let you know what people went through, whether they were in the towers that day, lost a loved one, volunteered, or just lived in NYC. Compelling and real.
Kim
Aug 05, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Reading the accounts of the people in the towers made me feel like I was there. It was terrifying yet at the same time I felt like I was honoring them by reading their story.
Nancy
Dec 27, 2010 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Wow...this book really takes you back to 9/11. Interviews with victims---people from all walks of life--brought back the emotions I felt on that day.
Pia
Feb 27, 2010 Pia marked it as to-read
I still remember that day pretty clearly, but I was only three. Nine years later, I'd like to know what actually happened that fateful day in 2001.
Joe Houde
Sep 03, 2012 Joe Houde rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Powerful stories. I can't read it for more than a couple of days at a time.
Angela Christman
Angela Christman marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Akoenig
Akoenig marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Sue
Sue rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Janet
Janet added it
Feb 01, 2016
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
9/11 - Ten Years After - How far have we come? 1 5 Jun 07, 2011 10:05AM
  • Report from Ground Zero
  • American Ground: Unbuilding the World Trade Center
  • Touching History: The Untold Story of the Drama that Unfolded in the Skies Over America on 9/11
  • The Eleventh Day: The Full Story of 9/11 and Osama bin Laden
  • Firehouse
  • The Bermuda Triangle Mystery Solved
  • 9/11: The Big Lie
  • 102 Minutes: The Untold Story of the Fight to Survive Inside the Twin Towers
  • Sultana: Surviving the Civil War, Prison, and the Worst Maritime Disaster in American History
  • On Top of the World: Cantor Fitzgerald, Howard Lutnick, and 9/11: A Story of Loss and Renewal
  • The Library of Congress Illustrated Timeline of the Civil War
  • Inherently Unequal: The Betrayal of Equal Rights by the Supreme Court, 1865-1903
  • Воспоминания о войне
  • What We Saw: The Events of September 11, 2001--In Words, Pictures, and Video
  • Arguing about Slavery: The Great Battle in the United States Congress
  • Martin Luther King and The Montgomery Story
  • Southern Horrors: Lynch Law in All Its Phases (Dodo Press)
  • A Widow's Walk: A Memoir of 9/11
Damon DiMarco was born in Princeton, New Jersey and currently lives in New York City. He holds a Masters degree in Fine Arts from Rutgers University.

Damon has been a guest on national television and radio, including FOX, CNN, The National Geographic Channel, and the Premiere Radio Network. He has been a guest speaker at colleges, universities, and community groups across the country.

A professional
More about Damon DiMarco...