Start by marking “The Power of Resilience: Achieving Balance, Confidence, and Personal Strength in Your Life” as Want to Read:

"Continuing their pioneering work on resilience, they now show how and why it is never too late for adults to find strength and safety in life."
--Edward Hallowell, M.D., author of Driven to Distraction

"A uniquely wise guide summarizing a vast amount of research into a practical set of strategies to overcome adversity and live a stress-hardy life."
--Jack Canfield, coauthor
Published October 3rd 2004 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Resilience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Resilience

Paula
Mar 31, 2014 Paula rated it liked it
There is much about this book that is rehashed. If you've read books on Attribution Theory and Reframing, then you've heard it all before. The section in which he defines Attribution Theory was particularly disappointing. There is so much more to the theory than the author credits. The author briefly introduces Learned Helplessness, but then I've always considered that the weakest point of Attribution Theory. The greater part of the theory, such as the effects of Cognitive Dissonance, is not cov ...more
Nancy
Sep 12, 2008 Nancy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who want to make their lives better
Recommended to Nancy by: Robert Brooks
Shelves: psychology
I recently saw Robert Brooks speak at a local school. I enjoyed him there (which is why I bought the book), and I enjoyed what he had to say in this book as well. In his view, resilience pretty much boils down to the ability to be empathic, re-writing negative scripts, and having a positive mindset. Most of what he suggests seems like obvious common sense, but it surprising how often we forget to use it. Nothing earth-shattering here, but a nice simple reminder of how best to treat yourself and ...more
Anna Sinova
Jun 12, 2014 Anna Sinova rated it it was ok
Interesting review of research on differences between people who are more and less resilient. However he does not provide any practical or achievable way to change other than suggesting to act like the more resilient people. I wish the book instead discussed the research on effective strategies that result in people being more resilient. I suspect, just telling people to be so does not work very well.
Christina
Nov 28, 2009 Christina rated it really liked it
A self-help book that is a cut above the rest. This book divides "resilience" into several different qualities that resilient people have and then offers suggestions on how to cultivate these qualities. I found the chapters on handling stress, avoiding perfectionistic thinking, and maintaining self-control particularly helpful. The many anecdotes from the authors' joint therapy practice make the book an engaging read.
Karlene Olesuk
Mar 05, 2012 Karlene Olesuk rated it it was amazing
I'm reading less and less self-help books these days, but I'm about half-way through this book....at least I think it's the title, since there are a few resilience books out there. I like the "resilience score" they make you do for yourself and explaining their method as well as some common sense tips.
Rebekah
Feb 07, 2013 Rebekah rated it liked it
I've been working through this one on and off for almost a year, reading when I didn't feel as strong as I wanted to be. The result? I've decided that through all the events and constant changes in my life, I'm actually more resilient than I thought. I just need little reminders once in a while.
Loretta Estrada
Aug 24, 2009 Loretta Estrada marked it as to-read
I'm anticipating reading this book once I've finished my current reads. It's waiting for me on my nightstand. I heard Robert Brooks speak at a conference spring 2009. He was an accessible, intelligent speaker. His book will hopefully be the same.
Morgan
Apr 06, 2010 Morgan marked it as started-but-not-finished
I went to see Dr. Brooks talk about how to raise resilient children at the Children's Museum (for work). Great speaker! But I've never gotten past the first chapter of a self-help book and this one was no different.
Ashley
Apr 17, 2014 Ashley rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Book club pick March 2014
Martin Goldberg
Just OK. Could have been so much better. "Succeeding When Your Supposed To Fail" by Rom Brafman is a similar book and WAY better.
Pennyb4437
Aug 10, 2016 Pennyb4437 rated it really liked it
Good information about building your own and other's resilience.
Lucretia Cioata
We all must endure setbacks and impasses in our lives!
Rhenz
Jun 23, 2011 Rhenz added it
This book will help me in improving my personality.
Perrin McCormick
May 09, 2012 Ylva marked it as to-read
Shelves: parenting-etc
recommended by lecturer
Anthony Meals
Anthony Meals marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Mason Frierson
Mason Frierson marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Peggy Leung
Peggy Leung marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Nicole Sanchez
Nicole Sanchez marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Munezero Yves
Munezero Yves marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2016
Tst
Tst marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Shanti
Shanti marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Roberto Debski
Roberto Debski marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Diana Nagy
Diana Nagy marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Emotional Sobriety: From Relationship Trauma to Resilience and Balance
  • A Resilient Life: You Can Move Ahead No Matter What
  • The Trauma Myth: The Truth About the Sexual Abuse of Children--and Its Aftermath
  • The Triple Bind: Saving Our Teenage Girls from Today's Pressures
  • The Resilience Factor: 7 Keys to  Finding Your Inner Strength and Overcoming Life's Hurdles
  • The EFT Manual
  • Secrets of a Buccaneer-Scholar: How Self-Education and the Pursuit of Passion Can Lead to a Lifetime of Success
  • When Parents Hurt: Compassionate Strategies When You and Your Grown Child Don't Get Along
  • The Purpose of Boys: Helping Our Sons Find Meaning, Significance, and Direction in Their Lives
  • Best Friends Forever: Surviving a Breakup with Your Best Friend
  • The Mirror Effect: How Celebrity Narcissism Is Seducing America
  • The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
  • The Sedona Method: Your Key to Lasting Happiness, Success, Peace and Emotional Well-being
  • Buried in Treasures: Help for Compulsive Acquiring, Saving, and Hoarding
  • Strange Brains and Genius: The Secret Lives Of Eccentric Scientists And Madmen
  • Made From Scratch: A Memoir
  • Minding the Body, Mending the Mind
  • Toxic Friends: The Antidote for Women Stuck in Complicated Friendships
Librarian Note: There is more than one author named "Robert Brooks" on goodreads.
More about Robert B. Brooks...