Start by marking “Netherwood” as Want to Read:
Netherwood

Netherwood

3.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  44 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews

A young woman desperate to prove her worth in her family's dynastic company travels to a faraway colony and finds herself joining the Robin Hood-like rebels outside of civilization.

Mass Market Paperback, 303 pages
Published February 26th 2008 by Shomi

To ask other readers questions about Netherwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Netherwood

Tez
Sep 16, 2008 Tez rated it really liked it
Janice (Janicu)
Mar 15, 2009 Janice (Janicu) rated it it was ok
I really liked the premise but the execution did not work. There were too many ideas going on which weren't very well thought out. Everything sort of sounded cool and interesting but were so vague that my suspension of disbelief wouldn't stay suspended.

On top of that - while the hero and heroine were interesting, they began to annoy me. Kovner's zen know-it-all attitude and smiles in spite of bad news was annoying. Talia going from a gung-ho, confident young thing, to realizing she doesn't know
Mathew Walls
Oct 28, 2015 Mathew Walls rated it did not like it
"I strode forward, feeling the glint of the hot cybersunlight on my bare scalp, along my long, muscle-packed thighs... I'm a sheriff, Talia Fortune by name, and tracking down and deactivating lawbreakers is my job ... The Netherwood started out as an ordinary virtual landscape, founded by a gaming guru, Geoff Provocateur ... in the Amphitheatre, illegal and dastardly acts were committed on a regular basis. And crime was my drug. I was sworn to smell it out and obliterate it."

Chapter one is amazi
Martina the Book Fairy
In the future our reality is more plugged into the virtual than the real. Talia is the chosen sucessor to her grandmother - the CEO of FortuneCorp, one of the six worldwide (universe-wide?) conglomerates. Though, her grandmother has "descended" a term used for someone who cheats death by having their consciousness uploaded to the net.

Talia is sent to a FortuneCorp owned planet to discover and detain a saboteur who had cut the planet's access to the internet thereby cutting them off from all int
Jon Thysell
May 31, 2015 Jon Thysell rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Overall plot was compelling, but the writing wad too choppy, and the book felt like a long awaited sequel, where there's an abrupt reminder of the world, with tons of pre-established history/relationships, then the world changes. Would have had more of an impact if there had been a whole first book to establish the world.
Linda
Eh, another SHOMI title that had loads of possibilities but lacked plot cohesiveness. Other reviewers have given you their summary so I won't dwell on the mechanics. Just say that I was put off by the heroine of the story- she was suppose to be a sheriff and smart but she was clueless through most of the book about identifying who were the good guys and who were the bad guys. Also, I didn't think she really deserved the Avenger, aka Kovner. Besides the fact that she enjoyed having sex with him, ...more
Sarai
Feb 21, 2008 Sarai rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sci/Fi lovers and romance lovers
Recommended to Sarai by: Michele Lang
I liked this book. At first I was in way over my head too much technology to comprehend but as the book progressed I began to understand it better and realized what was going on. My only complaint is the heroine she is too pity party for me, doesn't really except things... on that thought I guess she is more like me then I thought maybe that's why I didn't really connect with her.
All and all a good book and had a wonderful romance story woven in.
Michelle McPherson
Jan 03, 2016 Michelle McPherson rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Biggest gripe, always, is poor grammar and/or spelling. These things can change meanings as you read. The story was hard going in the beginning but if you can get through that, the story has interesting concepts and ideas. This book will appeal more to the sci fi readers than the dystopian ones. Thankfully I like both ;) I am going to read the next book and see where it goes, I am hoping for some open story lines to complete!
morbidflight
Jun 08, 2015 morbidflight rated it it was ok
I'm a sucker for cyberpunk and this book had some interesting flashes of commentary on canonical cyberpunk. On the whole, however, it felt like a mashup of cyberpunk cliches and romance novel cliches (and not in a good way). I read it and didn't mind it, but I probably wouldn't recommend it unless you like cyberpunk.
Cameron
Aug 25, 2008 Cameron rated it it was ok
Margaret
Sep 25, 2012 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2012
This book was fairly entertaining once I got into the story - I just didn't like the ending.

It was somewhat outside of any of my usual genres so I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did.
Vicky
Vicky added it
Jun 21, 2016
Faye
Faye rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Rachael A
Rachael A rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2016
Jennav
Jennav added it
Mar 09, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Laranna Knight
Laranna Knight marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Catherine Smith
Catherine Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Meg
Meg added it
Jan 17, 2016
Bobbi
Bobbi added it
Jan 16, 2016
Erika Mclean
Erika Mclean marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Meredith
Meredith rated it it was ok
Oct 03, 2015
Jason Corfman
Jason Corfman marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Sherry
Sherry rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Family
Family marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Bahijah hasan
Bahijah hasan marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Tania
Tania marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Lila
Lila added it
Jun 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Michele Lang writes supernatural stories set in futuristic places: the stories of witches, lawyers, goddesses, cops, bankers, demons, and other magical creatures hidden in plain sight.

Visit Michele on the web: www.michelelang.com"
More about Michele Lang...