Start by marking “Dan Eldon: The Art of Life” as Want to Read:
Dan Eldon: The Art of Life

Dan Eldon: The Art of Life

4.42  ·  Rating Details  ·  267 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Only 22 when he lost his life on assignment in Somalia, photojournalist Dan Eldon left behind much more than the journals that became the basis for Chronicle's best-seller The Journey Is the Destination. He left a lifetime of adventures that continue to inspire. Raised in Kenya, he took numerous expeditions across Africa that helped him to understand and love the continent ...more
Published August 1st 2001 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Dan Eldon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dan Eldon

Ciara
Dec 01, 2008 Ciara rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: photographers, collage artists, photo-journalists, people interested in afrcia's civil wars
dan eldon is a kid who grew up in africa (mostly kenya, i believe) with his family, who was in kenya because they worked for the government in some capacity. i don't totally remember. there is a book published under dan's name called the journey is the destination--it's a collection of his journals & photographs. he got really into photography & journaling at a young age--like big huge collage-style art journals that are pretty much the polar opposite of the journals i keep, but which fa ...more
Danielle
Jun 29, 2011 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
What an inspiration to any philanthropist, journalist, or artist... I really haven't been able to stop thinking about Dan Eldon's philosophy or this book since I've read it... SUCH a good impact!
Obviously it's a biography, so there are many tales shared with beautiful writing about Dan Eldon's life growing up in Kenya while also traveling the world on a whim. The knowledge he gained at such a young age is outstanding - I feel like every kid should grow up like this in the end: just curious about
Michelle (Champ)
Sep 15, 2014 Michelle (Champ) rated it really liked it
I was challenged to read this book by a friend. I was nervous, but once I started I was hooked. Dan lead a very interesting life....he saw so much. He died so tragically. His Journaling is inspiring. His photographs are moving. I think is a pleasant read.
Amber
Feb 09, 2011 Amber rated it it was amazing
I am so very glad that this book was written. Dan Eldon was an exceptional young man who lived a life of art and safari. I have re-read this book many times, and the part that I can't quite get over is how thoroughly I was able to feel the spirit of Africa as I've always imagined it, and how thoroughly it was embodied in Eldon. His journals add such a rich insight into how he felt about his world during the experiences being told about, and that offers a unique opportunity to view the world from ...more
Tim C
Aug 01, 2013 Tim C rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
I first read this book when it originally came out and I've just finished re-reading it. I'm a similar age to Dan, and, although I never met him, his life and art have been an inspiration to me. He packed more into his short life of 22 years than most of us will manage in twice that length of time! This is a touching and inspiring biography about art and adventure coming together in the life of one remarkable individual. I've written more about Dan's life and work here on my blog.
Gayle
Feb 13, 2015 Gayle rated it really liked it
Though I don't love this as much as the first book, I was glad to find out more about this extraordinary young man.
massi
May 15, 2016 massi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
Uno dei miei fotografi preferiti. Un artista caotico e rigoroso insieme. Il libro è curato mirabilmente e le riproduzioni sono eccellenti. I testi (pochi in questo volume) raccontano la breve vita di un ragazzo pieno di talento che ha provato a raccontare difficili angoli di mondo con un entusiasmo infinito.
Nancy
Jun 07, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
I've given this book to my two sons when they were teens, hoping to inspire them to keep journals and be loose and creative with them. I don't think either of them ever did, but I still think Eldon's journaling was wonderful and worth checking out. To be honest, I didn't read this so much as enjoy his creative visual approach.
Marla
May 08, 2012 Marla rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, good-reads
Even though this wonderful biography is geared toward teen readers, I think it is fascinating for any age who might have an interest in art, photography, Africa, global action, local action...Dan Eldon, only 22 when he was killed left a legacy through his incredible journals and personal actions that should be admired by all.
Cara
Jan 26, 2010 Cara rated it it was amazing
This book was incredibly inspiring, despite the rather sad circumstances of its subject, aspiring photojournalist and artist Dan Eldon. Any book that can make you feel moved and impressed by the beauty of things despite tragedy and suffering is a winner for me.
Anamaria
Oct 02, 2007 Anamaria rated it it was amazing
my favorite book of 2006....the coloful collage...so much fun to read...a total adventure in a book...and what an inspiring life story! yay for Chronicle Books! best publisher ever.
Katsumi
Oct 14, 2009 Katsumi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs
A biography of one of the first photojournalists to document the famine and anarchy in Somalia in the early 1990s. The art that comes with the book is great.
Brent
Apr 21, 2009 Brent rated it it was amazing
Got this book before I went to school for Photojournalism. Africa, wartime journalism, collages and great photos, not to mention Safari!!! Always Safari.
Ashley
Dan Eldon was a wonderful individual and his story captivated me when I first heard about it in a journalism class in college.
Victor Fez
Nov 05, 2013 Victor Fez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books
one of the greatest books ever written. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. what an amazing story!
Carrie Latovic
Sep 13, 2012 Carrie Latovic rated it it was amazing
This as well is a must read! You will fall in love with the spirit of Dan Eldon!
Lainie
Feb 07, 2013 Lainie rated it liked it
3.5 interesting- will read other books about his life & journals.
Greg Bischoff
Aug 26, 2011 Greg Bischoff rated it it was amazing
I loved this a lot. a life worth living even if
Sharon
Apr 15, 2008 Shikarro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: more-than-once
Changed my life.
Rebecca Webb
Rebecca Webb rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2016
Vaiva
Vaiva rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Luke Otterbech
Luke Otterbech marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
meg
meg rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Tara
Tara rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Vickie
Vickie rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Deb
Deb rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016
Melanie Kay
Melanie Kay rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
  • Snowflakes in Photographs
  • 1000 Journals Project
  • Brave on the Rocks: If You Don't Go, You Don't See
  • Searching for Hassan: A Journey to the Heart of Iran
  • The Cook and the Gardener: A Year of Recipes and Notes from the French Countryside
  • Red Dirt: Growing Up Okie
  • Ward 81
  • Bento Box in the Heartland: My Japanese Girlhood in Whitebread America
  • A Choice of Weapons
  • Talk of the Devil: Encounters with Seven Dictators
  • The Bandit Queen of India: An Indian Woman's Amazing Journey from Peasant to International Legend
  • To Paint Is To Love Again