Start by marking “Dan Eldon: The Art of Life” as Want to Read:
Dan Eldon: The Art of Life

Dan Eldon: The Art of Life

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Only 22 when he lost his life on assignment in Somalia, photojournalist Dan Eldon left behind much more than the journals that became the basis for Chronicle's best-seller The Journey Is the Destination. He left a lifetime of adventures that continue to inspire. Raised in Kenya, he took numerous expeditions across Africa that helped him to understand and love the continent ...more
Published August 1st 2001 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Dan Eldon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dan Eldon

Ciara
Dec 01, 2008 Ciara rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: photographers, collage artists, photo-journalists, people interested in afrcia's civil wars
dan eldon is a kid who grew up in africa (mostly kenya, i believe) with his family, who was in kenya because they worked for the government in some capacity. i don't totally remember. there is a book published under dan's name called the journey is the destination--it's a collection of his journals & photographs. he got really into photography & journaling at a young age--like big huge collage-style art journals that are pretty much the polar opposite of the journals i keep, but which fa ...more
Danielle
What an inspiration to any philanthropist, journalist, or artist... I really haven't been able to stop thinking about Dan Eldon's philosophy or this book since I've read it... SUCH a good impact!
Obviously it's a biography, so there are many tales shared with beautiful writing about Dan Eldon's life growing up in Kenya while also traveling the world on a whim. The knowledge he gained at such a young age is outstanding - I feel like every kid should grow up like this in the end: just curious about
Michelle
I was challenged to read this book by a friend. I was nervous, but once I started I was hooked. Dan lead a very interesting life....he saw so much. He died so tragically. His Journaling is inspiring. His photographs are moving. I think is a pleasant read.
Amber
I am so very glad that this book was written. Dan Eldon was an exceptional young man who lived a life of art and safari. I have re-read this book many times, and the part that I can't quite get over is how thoroughly I was able to feel the spirit of Africa as I've always imagined it, and how thoroughly it was embodied in Eldon. His journals add such a rich insight into how he felt about his world during the experiences being told about, and that offers a unique opportunity to view the world from ...more
Tim C
I first read this book when it originally came out and I've just finished re-reading it. I'm a similar age to Dan, and, although I never met him, his life and art have been an inspiration to me. He packed more into his short life of 22 years than most of us will manage in twice that length of time! This is a touching and inspiring biography about art and adventure coming together in the life of one remarkable individual. I've written more about Dan's life and work here on my blog.
massi
Uno dei miei fotografi preferiti. Un artista caotico e rigoroso insieme. Il libro è curato mirabilmente e le riproduzioni sono eccellenti. I testi (pochi in questo volume) raccontano la breve vita di un ragazzo pieno di talento che ha provato a raccontare difficili angoli di mondo con un entusiasmo infinito.
Nancy
I've given this book to my two sons when they were teens, hoping to inspire them to keep journals and be loose and creative with them. I don't think either of them ever did, but I still think Eldon's journaling was wonderful and worth checking out. To be honest, I didn't read this so much as enjoy his creative visual approach.
Marla
Even though this wonderful biography is geared toward teen readers, I think it is fascinating for any age who might have an interest in art, photography, Africa, global action, local action...Dan Eldon, only 22 when he was killed left a legacy through his incredible journals and personal actions that should be admired by all.
Cara
This book was incredibly inspiring, despite the rather sad circumstances of its subject, aspiring photojournalist and artist Dan Eldon. Any book that can make you feel moved and impressed by the beauty of things despite tragedy and suffering is a winner for me.
Anamaria
my favorite book of 2006....the coloful collage...so much fun to read...a total adventure in a book...and what an inspiring life story! yay for Chronicle Books! best publisher ever.
Katsumi
A biography of one of the first photojournalists to document the famine and anarchy in Somalia in the early 1990s. The art that comes with the book is great.
Brent
Got this book before I went to school for Photojournalism. Africa, wartime journalism, collages and great photos, not to mention Safari!!! Always Safari.
Ashley
Dan Eldon was a wonderful individual and his story captivated me when I first heard about it in a journalism class in college.
Victor Fez
one of the greatest books ever written. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. what an amazing story!
Carrie Latovic
This as well is a must read! You will fall in love with the spirit of Dan Eldon!
Lainie
3.5 interesting- will read other books about his life & journals.
Greg Bischoff
I loved this a lot. a life worth living even if
Sharon
Very good.
Shikarro
Changed my life.
Ragnar
Ragnar marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Rhiannon Elliott
Rhiannon Elliott marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
  • Snowflakes in Photographs
  • One Special Summer
  • Searching for Hassan: A Journey to the Heart of Iran
  • Talk of the Devil: Encounters with Seven Dictators
  • The Cook and the Gardener: A Year of Recipes and Notes from the French Countryside
  • The Bandit Queen of India: An Indian Woman's Amazing Journey from Peasant to International Legend
  • Bento Box in the Heartland: My Japanese Girlhood in Whitebread America