Start by marking “Madman on a Drum (Mac McKenzie, #5)” as Want to Read:
Madman on a Drum (Mac McKenzie, #5)

Madman on a Drum (Mac McKenzie #5)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Homicide cop Bobby Dunston's daughter has been kidnapped, taken in broad daylight on a city street in the middle of September. The kidnappers demand a million dollars andforceDunston to get the ransom from his friend McKenzie. It soon becomes apparent to the two of them that one of the kidnappers is childhood pal Scottie, a once aspiring drummer now gone astray, and that t...more
Published May 13th 2008 by Minotaur Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Madman on a Drum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Madman on a Drum

LJ
MADMAN ON A DRUM (Unlic. Invest-McKenzie-St, Paul, Minnesota-Cont) Ex
Housewright, David – 5th in series
St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2008, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780312370817

First Sentence: They kidnapped Bobby Dunston’s daughter in the middle of a bright September afternoon off a city street that I had traveled safely maybe a thousand times when I was a kid.

Former St. Paul cop Rushmore McKenzie returned from the force in order to receive a $1M finders fee on embezzled funds. His friend, and investment...more
Ryan Madland
Its probably been about six months since I received this book and I am wondering why I waited to so long to read it. Its the 5th book of the Mac McKenzie series.

The book revolves around Mac's best friend's daughter getting kidnapped. The kidnappers only want to deal with Mac, due to his vast wealth, but there seems to be a personal reason behind it.

Mac goes on his own to find out who is responsible with the promise to his friend that they will get his daughter back, alive and unharmed.

The book...more
Maria
Sexist descriptions of women really turned me off. I used to love David Housewright. He's still a fun author to read. But really, do we have to hear about his relative attraction to every woman he runs across? I wished for as even-handed descriptions of the men, but it was sorely lacking. John Sandford does this better. Also, the main villain being the one person with a differing view on the penal system than McKenzie didn't sit well with me. Oh, she disagrees with you? Of COURSE she's evil. Not...more
james
This is another book in the excellent series by this author. It features Rush McKenzie, a former police detective in Minneapolis who broke a case and received a multimillion dollar reward from an insurance company. Rush then resigned from the police force and carries out informal investigations into various wrongdoings. In addition to plenty of action, it's also a study about revenge and its effects.

I have already placed the next book in the series on my list of books to read.
Robin
Jul 19, 2008 Robin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
I LOVED this book and in particular I am crazy about Rushmore McKenzie. Went to the library and checked out the first two books in the series so that I could get up to date. I believe that this is the 5th book. I can't say enough about the plotline and the main character. It is just fantastic and I am looking forward to getting caught up in the series.
Catherine Woodman
i have read some of these McKenzie books before. This one focuses on the nature of revenge and how to go about getting it or getting over it (mostly getting it--McKenzie is a gritty guy). I think there are some psychological truths here, but they are buried a bit in the stir of fighting and bravado.
Sori
It got a little better once the focus was taken off of the perfect family and how perfect they are, but this one is not as strong as the other books in the series. I would love this series 100% if the Dunstons didn't show up at all.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Rushmore McKenzie; McKenzie's cop friend's daughter is kidnapped; after paying off her ransom and returning her safely, he goes after the perpetrators
Clare
Not his best, but lets this msp native vicariously visit the seedy side of saint Paul while providing great excitement.
Dawn
Another great book by a Minnesota Author! I like the character of McKenzie, even though he gets himself beat up a lot.
Al Stoess
Dec 24, 2012 Al Stoess rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Housewright fans. Mystery fans.
Good. Housewright does good work. Could be less "famiy" oriented. Could be shorter.
Sue Cebelinski
Great suspense story.
Carl Brookins
David's usual workman-like, smoothly written, thoughtful crime novel.
Debbie
This is my favorite book he has written.
Annie Michelle
love the series, love the author!
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Duffy Pearce
Duffy Pearce marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
A reformed newspaper reporter and ad man, Housewright's book "Penance" (Foul Play Press) earned the 1996 Edgar Award for Best First Novel from the Mystery Writers of America and was nominated for a Shamus in the same category by the Private Eye Writers of America.

"Practice to Deceive" won the 1998 Minnesota Book Award (it is currently being developed as a feature film) and "Jelly's Gold" won the s...more
More about David Housewright...
A Hard Ticket Home (Mac McKenzie, #1) Tin City (Mac McKenzie, #2) Pretty Girl Gone (Mac McKenzie, #3) Jelly's Gold (Mac McKenzie, #6) Curse of the Jade Lily (Mac McKenzie, #9)