Start by marking “Somewhat Saved” as Want to Read:
Somewhat Saved

Somewhat Saved

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In G'Orge-Walker's most soulful and sidesplitting send-up of church life yet, the hilarious cast of parishioners battle their worst vices along with the funny and serious sides of aging.
Published April 1st 2008 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about Somewhat Saved, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somewhat Saved

Lilo
Nov 27, 2015 Lilo rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: friends of the author
Oh my, this is the worst book I ever read. I hate to say this because the author is likable, as a matter of fact, VERY likable. Yet she just simply can't write. Makes about every mistake one can possibly make writing fiction. Just to name one: The characters in this book are utterly unreal. There are five protagonists. One is a young woman, another is a young man. Both are oozing with nobleness and, of course, find a happy end. Three are woman in their mid sixties. The author could obviously not ...more
Msladydeborah
Jul 05, 2009 Msladydeborah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who enjoy reading a story about Black church folks.
Recommended to Msladydeborah by: no one
This is the first book that I have read by Pat G'Orge-Walker. I did not realize that it was part of a series. I believe that the first book is titled Sister Betty:God is Calling You. (I haven't read this one yet)

I found Somewhat Saved to be a pleasant surprise. If you know about how funny Black church members can be-this is a book that you might want to read. Their flaws and attitudes will have you cracking up.

There is also a really nice relationship story that I found to be refreshing. While th
Bruh
Nov 26, 2008 Bruh rated it it was ok
A semi humorous look at the machinations of some
of the Mothers (in every sense that word/term
can take) of a particular church. Past secrets
that affect the characters currently, and how
the characters behave, trying to bring about
the future they hope to have. I only gave it
2 stars, but I'm not disappointed that I bought
and read it. I was "somewhat" entertained...
Tiffany
Oct 05, 2010 Tiffany rated it it was ok
Ehe, it's ok. Nothing special. I had never read anything by this author but picked it up at the library. It's supposed to be laugh out loud funny, but I think I've chuckled twice.
Stacy
Jan 20, 2016 Stacy rated it liked it
This was a cute story and it was certainly entertaining. I loved Zipporah and Chandler but the antics of Sister Betty, Mother Sasha and Mother Bea were a little much sometimes. There were some big problems with the writing (mostly grammar and flow of the story) and it seemed like there was too much packed into a fairly short book.
Sonja Deloach
Mar 19, 2012 Sonja Deloach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent book. I found myself trying to read anytime that I could once I was able to really get into it. I'm supposed to be working or doing homework wanting to pull the book out. It was so real. At times it was humurous as well as serious. It showed how some elder women act outside of the church and how they found that they needed to lean on god at all times. I thought she would've been able to truly meet her dad and talk to him but in the end they really had a connection that she ...more
Collette
Mar 17, 2013 Collette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was really good. I enjoyed the mother's acting crazy and getting a conference cancelled well after it started.....they were off the chain. It had a lot of tangled stuff going on and it kept your eyes glued to the screen. Good reading.
Brenda
Sep 28, 2015 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Too funny. This was the first book I read by Pat G'Orge Walker and i loved it. I highly recommend this book.
The story-line sucks you in from the first chapter.
Terry Dreuitt
Oct 18, 2008 Terry Dreuitt is currently reading it
i learned splitting up ur life as a church goer and a crazy home life, sometimes goes hand, and hand..
Prue
Jul 30, 2009 Prue rated it it was amazing
Really funny, well written and a real hoot as to how she characterizes and names her characters.
Shira Temple
Jul 30, 2008 Shira Temple rated it it was amazing
So far a very funny book. I laugh all the time while reading this one
Chandra
Jun 11, 2012 Chandra rated it it was amazing
So funny that I can't look at a York Peppermint Patty the same way!
K. Warren
Sep 04, 2009 K. Warren rated it it was amazing
Belly buster and as usual the Biblical principals.
Lynn
These old ladies in this book were tooo funny.
Elizabeth
Funny!! Churh ladies loose in Vegas!
Betty Wright
This was not a good read.
SocialButterfly
Jul 31, 2013 SocialButterfly rated it really liked it
hillarious!!!
Lisha Hill
Lisha Hill marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Natashia Humphrey
Natashia Humphrey rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Linda Strickland
Linda Strickland marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Dacia
Dacia marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Raine
Raine marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Theressa
Theressa marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Heaven Forbid (Hallelujah Love #6)
  • The Pastor's Wife
  • Holy Ghost Corner
  • Lady Jasmine
  • Samson
  • If Memory Serves (The Blessed Trinity Series, #3)
  • Abundant Rain