A Change Is Gonna Come: Music, Race & the Soul of America

A Change Is Gonna Come: Music, Race & the Soul of America

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  9 reviews
". . . extraordinarily far-reaching. . . . highly accessible."
-Notes

"No one has written this way about music in a long, long time. Lucid, insightful, with real spiritual, political, intellectual, and emotional grasp of the whole picture. A book about why music matters, and how, and to whom."
-Dave Marsh, author of Louie, Louie and Born to Run: The Bruce Springsteen Story

"Th...more
Published January 9th 2006 by University of Michigan Press (first published April 1st 1999)

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel CohnHigh Fidelity by Nick HornbyThe Phantom of the Opera by Gaston LerouxNo One Here Gets Out Alive by Danny SugarmanAin't No Grave by Macel Ely II
Best Music Books
8th out of 208 books — 74 voters
Please Kill Me by Legs McNeilChronicles, Vol. 1 by Bob DylanLove is a Mix Tape by Rob SheffieldOur Band Could Be Your Life by Michael AzerradPsychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung by Lester Bangs
Best Non Fiction About Music
117th out of 746 books — 571 voters

More lists with this book...

Joanna
I will admit right up front to being dear friends with the author. In fact, he's probably reading this review. I am not sure this would affect my impressions of the book; I took forever to read this book because I took the time to actually read it: no skimming, no skipping. Underlining and notes. Often, if I had my iPod with me, I'd listen to snippets of the songs being discussed.

Gospel impulse, blues impulse, jazz impulse. Masking. Hidden meanings. Getting over. It's easy for a beginner like m...more
Leslie
Aug 15, 2007 Leslie rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: soul music lovers
Shelves: music
Today, I was reminded that I love this man, Craig Werner. I read _A Change Is Gonna Come_ a little while back, but never picked up the revised and updated version ('til two days ago). I am seeking all good discussions or beginnings of discussions of gospel and this text helps me think about it (and its impulse). The last four chapters of Werner's book are new (on newer soul/r&b/gospel/etc), so I looked at them. Like my fave Sam Cooke track to play in the car, the whole thing is "wonderful."
Darren Blades
An excellent book as the author Craig Werner takes the reader on a musical journey of a blend of musical genres, juxtaposed against the sociopolitical moving landscape of America from the 1920's to the 21st Century. Craig Werner also highlights the importance of black music during the civil rights movement, as an important moment in the history of America.
Ashley Shear
Feb 22, 2009 Ashley Shear marked it as to-read
I took this course in college (taught by the author). I took it a Summer that the book was not available from the publisher so we never had to read it. I have always wanted to though.
Joe Rasmussen
One of my favorites of all time. Changed both the way I listen to music and the way I view history.
David
See my review at LivinginStereo.com:

Jessie
Immensely readable and I learned a ton about American music.
This is one of the best books I ever read in college.
John
Mar 19, 2009 John marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
non fiction
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Dacia
Dacia marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Michael Castro
Michael Castro marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Paul Jones
Paul Jones marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Matt Parks
Matt Parks marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Nascha
Nascha marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Maura Badji
Maura Badji marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Ginny
Ginny marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Katie Allcorn
Katie Allcorn marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Narasimha
Narasimha marked it as to-read
Spencer
Spencer marked it as to-read
Heidi Gruber
Heidi Gruber marked it as to-read
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Unlearn
Unlearn marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Mo
Mo marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Cheryll
Cheryll marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Stretto
Stretto marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
  • Black Noise: Rap Music and Black Culture in Contemporary America (Music & Culture)
  • Sweet Soul Music: Rhythm and Blues and the Southern Dream of Freedom
  • Blues People: Negro Music in White America
  • Escaping the Delta: Robert Johnson and the Invention of the Blues
  • Deep Blues: A Musical and Cultural History of the Mississippi Delta
  • Divided Soul: The Life Of Marvin Gaye
  • Blues Legacies and Black Feminism: Gertrude "Ma" Rainey, Bessie Smith, and Billie Holiday
  • The Chitlin' Circuit: And the Road to Rock 'n' Roll
  • Perfecting Sound Forever: An Aural History of Recorded Music
  • Japrocksampler: How the Post-War Japanese Blew Their Minds on Rock 'n' Roll
  • Can't Stop Won't Stop: A History of the Hip-Hop Generation
  • Sweet Land of Liberty: The Forgotten Struggle for Civil Rights in the North
Higher Ground: Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Curtis Mayfield, and the Rise and Fall of American Soul For the Record 7: Up around the Bend: The Oral History Of Creedence Clearwater Revival Playing the Changes: FROM AFRO-MODERNISM TO THE JAZZ IMPULSE Dubliners: A Pluralistic World Adrienne Rich: The Poet and Her Critics (The Poet & His Critics)