Start by marking “Jacques Derrida” as Want to Read:
Jacques Derrida

Jacques Derrida

This extraordinary book offers a clear and compelling biography of Jacques Derrida along with one of Derrida's strangest and most unexpected texts. Geoffrey Bennington's account of Derrida leads the reader through the philosopher's familiar yet widely misunderstood work on language and writing to the less familiar themes of signature, sexual difference, law, and affirmatio ...more
Published June 15th 1999 by University Of Chicago Press (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Jacques Derrida, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jacques Derrida

William Durden
The Bennington discussion is certainly worthwhile, more in depth than other 'intro' pieces, but what makes this text essential in the Derrida canon is his own shockingly personal discussion of his relationship to his mother and to religion. Inspired Caputo's Prayers and Tears of Jacques Derrida, and has a profound impact on the way I read Derrida in general.
John Dizon
Feb 16, 2014 John Dizon rated it liked it
Why ask why? Well, for one thing, some guys never know when to give up, and I'd have to say that Geoffrey Bennington and I have that in common. He probably got halfway through Derrida's work, just as I got midway through his, and most likely said the same thing I did: 'What the hell am I doing this for?'. I'm sure he gave himself the same answer I did: you started that damn thing, so you might as well finish it. And so it goes.

What it's mostly about when you wander down this particular corridor
Andrew
Apr 18, 2011 Andrew rated it it was amazing
I have only read some if Bennington's systematizing of Derrida, so I can't speak for that, but Derrida's Circumfession was an enthralling, emotional, and philosophically tortuous but exciting read. Derrida confesses his own struggles with his (non)-identity (whether it be a brief homosexual experience, or his Judaism or Atheism, or his circumcision), and relates this to his larger philosophical approach in general, in a way that is subtle way. This requires the reader, like all Derrida texts, to ...more
David
Mar 05, 2007 David rated it really liked it
In my opinion, this is my favorite of the various Derrida introductions I've read. (I like reading various introductions to various philosophers for fun.) It's certainly more convincing and interesting than the others that focus primarily on the uses of his theories for literary purposes. Instead, the reader is taken through the ideas from their often neglected (well, for literary theory) roots in phenomenology. It can be challenging, but it's really very good.
William West
Bennigton's text is the most movingly intimate explication of Derrida's thought I've come across. Indeed, Jacques seemed to think so as well. Derrida added a book length "foot note" that is the closest thing he ever wrote to an autobiography. A must read even for those with an expert knowledge of Derrida's oevre.
Kate
Feb 27, 2008 Kate rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kate by: Jody Greene
Shelves: favorites
Totally nutty in the way that only Derrida can do.

Bennington's narrative is especially helpful in understanding Derrida; Derrida's "response" is especially helpful in totally fucking up the possibility of understanding him.

Super fun! The layout (2/3 page of Bennington, 1/3 page Derrida at the bottom) really resists the idea of a linear narrative or singular knowledge production.
Saara Raappana
I am only reading the bottom part of this book, the part written by Derrida. I don't give a good goddamn about Mr. Bennington. But since I just read the bottom 1/4 of each page, it probably wouldn't be fair of me to rate it.
Jonathan
Nov 21, 2009 Jonathan added it
Shelves: philosophy
None
André
André rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2011
Ryan Dobran
Ryan Dobran rated it liked it
May 11, 2008
Phillip
Phillip rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2012
Charles Hawkins
Charles Hawkins rated it it was ok
Apr 29, 2008
Egor Sofronov
Egor Sofronov rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2014
Efad
Efad rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Charles Hawkins
Charles Hawkins rated it did not like it
Apr 29, 2008
JanPŁ
JanPŁ rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2011
Raphae
Raphae rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2013
Alex Covic
Alex Covic rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2009
Matt Knife
Matt Knife rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2008
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2009
Joel B.
Joel B. rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2013
Marcela Gómez
Marcela Gómez rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2013
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
May 04, 2017
Dave
Dave rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2008
Chimaera
Chimaera rated it liked it
Nov 24, 2016
Katrinka
Katrinka rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2007
Nymphe Acasia
Nymphe Acasia rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2012
Daniel Cardoso
Daniel Cardoso rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2015
Arc Zhang
Arc Zhang rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2014