Start by marking “Invisible Gardens” as Want to Read:
Invisible Gardens

Invisible Gardens

2.8 of 5 stars 2.80  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  4 reviews
In this long-awaited follow-up to her acclaimed debut novel, A Bridge Between Us, Julie Shigekuni offers a beautiful and disturbing look at the intimacy and isolation, desire and despair that haunt a young woman’s life.

Invisible Gardens is the story of Lily Soto, a thirty-five-year-old Japanese-American woman, who, despite two young children, a stable marriage, and a teach
Published June 13th 2003 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Invisible Gardens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible Gardens

Maya
Hard to read something like this when you know the author . . .
Connie
This story is about Lily Soto, a Japanese-American university professor living in New Mexico. She is married to a doctor and has two young children. Memories from her childhood and her mother seem to color the way she looks upon her stable life when she starts caring for her father who has dementia. She and another professor become involved in an affair, and Lily has to make choices about her relationships.

Although the author's writing was beautiful and lyrical, it was very difficult to figure o
Mark
Someone on Amazon compared Julie to Amy Tan, but she is no Amy Tan. Amy has a sense of humor.
Yes Julie is a fine writer, she can sling words together with the best of them. So what?
I want to be moved I guess. Inspired. Taken to another world. Like Murakami does when I read a book by him. At least let me feel just a touch of humanity. I'm sorry I just don't.
I want to read Unending Nora but I can't find it to borrow anywhere.
I am hoping to read something that is not egotistical, selfish and humorl
Saya Hashimoto
The disintegration of a perfect life into one that is messy and painful.
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Keana
Keana marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Jervon
Jervon marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2012
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2012
J
J marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2009
Tracy
Tracy added it
Feb 01, 2009
Evangeline
Evangeline marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2009
Melon109
Melon109 marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2008
Anita
Anita marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2007
Mara
Mara is currently reading it
Apr 17, 2010
Julie Shigekuni is the author of three novels: A Bridge Between Us (Anchor/Doubleday 1995), Invisible Gardens (St. Martin’s Press 2003), and Unending Nora (forthcoming from Red Hen Press, Fall 2008). Her fiction has been translated into German, Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian.

Shigekuni was a finalist for the Barnes and Noble Discover Great New Writers Award and the recipient of the PEN Oakland Jos
More about Julie Shigekuni...
A Bridge Between Us Unending Nora Blue Mesa Review, Number 14 Blue Mesa Review, Number 13 Barn af det blå hus