Start by marking “Buttons and Foes (Mandy Dyer, #6)” as Want to Read:
Buttons and Foes (Mandy Dyer, #6)

Buttons and Foes (Mandy Dyer #6)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Valued customer and old friend Thelma Chatwick is dead, and intrepid Denver dry cleaner Mandy Dyer is called upon to brush up her sleuthing skills and tidy up the investigation's loose ends. Why did Thelma insist on saving seemingly worthless garments-could her motives have something to do with the unusual buttons Thelma collected?

When Mandy decides to hire a private dete
Published August 3rd 2002 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Buttons and Foes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Buttons and Foes

Sarah Adamson
This was a really enjoyable cozy with a collectible theme. There were some nice twists and fun encounters although the journalist still annoys me. I was so glad when an interesting new love interest arrived in this book - he has potential!
Pat
Feb 15, 2014 Pat rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Story revolves around Mandy Dyer, a dry cleaner.
A woman/friend who either fell or was pushed down her stairs.
She collected buttons.
Interesting.
Ann
Poorly developed characters, I did not like anyone in the book. I did find the history of buttons interesting but that was it. An easy read.
Sara
Mandy was the type of character who could, at points of the story, annoy me to no end, but in the end she was always right when it came to her suspicions even if none of the men (and yes, the majority seemed to be men...) around her supported her in her endeavors to learn the identity of her loyal customer's murder. The story was predictable but was well put together and ok. This opinion might be a bit off considering I realized just now that I started with the 6th book in the series....fail on ...more
Judy
Mandy Dyer runs a dry cleaners in Denver and she is horrified when one of her oldest customers is found dead in her home. She is also surprised to find out that Thelma left her a bag of old clothes covered in unusual buttons. What's going on here? This book was okay, but very predictable. However, discovering the world of button collecting was a much better find. I need to pull out my grandmother's button jar and give the contents a closer look.
Vicky
Another cozy series. I enjoyed this series … the characters are fun, and funny…. the plot has a lot of twists… I really read this series and devoured it a few years ago… have to get back to see if there are new books…. I definitely recommend Mandy for fun - and excitement.. and hopefully many new books.
C-shaw
I finished this one Saturday and enjoyed reading about the button collectors. I did look up some websites about button collecting. Who knew there were so many clubs and sites devoted to the hobby?! This was a good book, a fast and easy read, which is the only type I am able to read with my busy schedule.

I shall leave Ayn Rand and her ilk to Marcy!
Gwen
Now that I think about it, I read this book. Not sure if it is my age or the contents, but I don't remember much about it. I collect vintage clothing buttons so the subject caught my interest and was brought to my attention at a button meeting. I guess I would say it is a quick, fun read.
Jun 01, 2008 Laura rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Laura by: Grandma
Shelves: mystery
This started out as an average, typical mystery but as I got into the book I started enjoying it more. There could have been more interest in the buttons but other than that I liked the story. It was a little predictable but a fun, quick book to read.
Judie
I got a laugh or two out of this book and I liked that. It doesn't meet the no profanity requirement, but there isn't a lot of it. It was still enjoyable.
Emma
its kind of like a detective story if anyone likes that stuff then they would like this boook. the detectives are investigating a murder.
Mary Newcomb
A legacy of old dresses leads Mandy to a mystery and maybe a new romance.

Fanficfan44
best of the series I read so far
Diane
Fun to read and kept my interest.
I really liked it!
Jenn M
Jenn M marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Elaine Embree
Elaine Embree marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Dolores Johnson is a journalist who has worked on newspapers in Oregon, California, Wyoming and Colorado, but she always wanted to write and sell a murder mystery. She tried writing books about an investigative reporter and a newspaper editor, but it wasn't until she wrote a book about a dry cleaner, using her background as a free-lance writer and field reporter for American Drycleaner, that she m ...more
More about Dolores Johnson...

Mandy Dyer (8 books)
  • Taken to the Cleaners (Mandy Dyer, #1)
  • Hung Up to Die (Mandy Dyer, #2)
  • A Dress to Die For (Mandy Dyer, #3)
  • Wash, Fold, and Die (Mandy Dyer, #4)
  • Homicide and Old Lace (Mandy Dyer, #5)
  • Taking the Wrap (Mandy Dyer, #7)
  • Pressed to Kill (Mandy Dyer, #8)
A Dress to Die For (Mandy Dyer, #3) Taken to the Cleaners (Mandy Dyer, #1) Taking the Wrap (Mandy Dyer, #7) Hung Up to Die (Mandy Dyer, #2) Pressed to Kill (Mandy Dyer, #8)