Start by marking “Leadership from the Inside Out” as Want to Read:
Leadership from the Inside Out

Leadership from the Inside Out

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Takes on a whole-person approach to leadership that is multidimensional and interdisciplinary.
Published October 1st 1999 by Executive Excellence Publishing (first published September 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Leadership from the Inside Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leadership from the Inside Out

James
I often bemoan the vapidity of leadership literature which treats 'leadership' as a silver bullet which cures whatever ails any organization. Nevertheless the genre of business leadership has two sorts of books which have some important things to say:

1. Books which address managerial systems, administration, systemic approaches
2. leadership as personal development.

This book is very much the second sort of book, which is a sort of Self-help for the Corporate soul approach. Cashman proposes that t
Stuart Haden
This book really sums up my approach to leadership and personal development. So much so it was actually quite an average read because I agreed with and practice much of Cashman's words. I like his overall approach - Leadership is authentic influence that creates value.

The books stays pretty much on the surface level of authenticity, as such it is a great introduction. For me I wanted it to dive deeper. One viewpoint that got me thinking was though was - while we are authentic to our current sta
Mark Wilkerson
Leadership from the Inside Out is a book I was expected to read for a Graduate-level class on Educational Leadership. After the first few pages, I was turned off by the "meta-talk;" I am naturally weary of self-help gurus who name drop celebrities who they have helped to transform the lives of, and I was quick to dismiss Cashman as "one of those people."

However, a few chapters in, about the point where Cashman speaks of "leading authentically," I knew that there was something in this book origi
Tom Jenckes
I searched for a book to use in my Business leadership class at Argosy University. This book met my every need. The dean was very impressed with my find. The students in my class were really turned on by this book. I recommend it highly!
Janice
This isn't a quick read, but it's a valuable read. This is one of those leadership manuals/workbooks that would be really great to do in a small group or with a mentor to guide you along the way and to talk about all the parts. I didn't do the lists, writing everything down, but read for concepts/ideas. I did however, copy (shhhh) some of the pages as I would like to write through them, ponder them, and discuss with friends as I learn and grow. This book is a definite must read for those either ...more
Rozana
Enjoyed reading the first couple of chapters & then I found it to be like a text book. I guess the style of reading is not page to page, but more like a reference, especially for leader training programs / workshops.
A great resource though.
JoAnn
Every time I leaf through this book I find more gems. Great for taking stock of oneself and deciding on new avenues for personal and professional growth. Cashman presents seven “pathways” that offer leadership development for individuals. They include Personal Mastery, Purpose Mastery, Change Mastery, Interpersonal Mastery, Being Mastery, Balance Mastery and Action Mastery.

Rather than relying on “action-able checklists” and to-do’s, Cashman believes that only by knowing ourselves through honest
Nancy
Don't appreciate a book of quotes from others. Still a couple of chapters were thought provoking.
Kristin Kinman
There is a lot in this book to be applied and I think that I could get new ideas each time I read it.
Arun Mahendrakar
I'm not sure if this book is only for the CEO's and other top-level management people. This book is for anyone how is looking at leadership skills at any level. Also, pretty much anyone who wants to develop his personality should read this book.

I have now started to look at my 'shadow beliefs' to improve myself.

"Try not to become a man of success. Try to become a man of value." - from the book.
Lila
I think this book is quite incredible. I read it once but reading it again illuminates the topic of leadership so much more the second time around. I appreciate how the author draws from some of the best sources out there to culminate the masteries. A must-read for leaders!
I didn't like the book because it was very New Age Self-Help jargon. I did like the common-sense advice given in parts of the book, and I liked the introspective questions throughout. That said, I won't be recommending this book to others.
Dirk Fecho
Really a great listen for the car. Empowering, inspiring and just some straight talk about being a leader from the inside out.
Debra Kocher
Excellent and thoughtful. Great for anyone who is interested in understanding themselves, their world, and their relationships - ALL their relationships.
Mary
EXCELLENT book! Can refer to it over and over again even after finishing it. Talking about leading with SOUL...
Daun
Good book, on the esoteric side. Thought provoking especially in regards to the dealing with one's shadow side.
Hui Zhu
Well, I am still doing the exercises. They look promising!
David Shechtman
Filled with incredible and useful nuggets of learning.
Monica Tanza
Couldn't finish this book. Too religious.
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Phindi Moloi
Phindi Moloi marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Lalo
Lalo marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Topkid English
Topkid English marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
  • Leading in a Culture of Change
  • Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within
  • Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • The Leader's Companion: Insights on Leadership Through the Ages
  • Leading with Questions: How Leaders Find the Right Solutions by Knowing What to Ask
  • Immunity to Change: How to Overcome It and Unlock the Potential in Yourself and Your Organization
  • Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others
  • Leadership Without Easy Answers
  • Energy Leadership: Transforming Your Workplace and Your Life from the Core
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Transitions: Making Sense of Life's Changes
  • The Call of Service
  • Synchronicity: The Inner Path of Leadership
  • From Values to Action: The Four Principles of Values-Based Leadership
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • On Becoming a Leader
The Pause Principle: Step Back to Lead Forward Games at Work: How to Recognize & Reduce Office Politics Awakening the Leader Within: A Story of Transformation Job Hunter's Guide to Career Fulfillment/Book, Video, Cassette, Worksheets, PC Software (Job Hunter's Guide to Career Fulfillment) Games at Work