Start by marking “Gone (Gone, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gone (Gone, #1)

Gone (Gone #1)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  140,406 Ratings  ·  8,706 Reviews
In the blink of an eye, everyone disappears. Gone. Except for the young.

There are teens, but not one single adult. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing n
Published June 24th 2008 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Gone, please sign up.

Kia I LOVE the Gone series. I would read the entire series over and over again, but the first time already brought me through an emotional roller coaster.
Liv This series is like the Maze Runner series in some ways, like the kids are all alone and need to survive with weird creatures lurking about and all…moreThis series is like the Maze Runner series in some ways, like the kids are all alone and need to survive with weird creatures lurking about and all that jazz, but I've read almost all the books and found them slow paced, but you should give the first book a try. Hope I helped! (less)
City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
25th out of 23,801 books — 60,529 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsThe Maze Runner by James Dashner
YA Dystopia Novels
19th out of 1,063 books — 9,927 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I read this book out of curiosity, with no preconceived notions. Merely because I was curious what kids would do in a world with no adults. I admit I was blown away.

Mr. Grant told me a story that I couldn't put down. From the beginning, my mind was full of questions about how this happened, how the kids would survive, what could prevent the same thing from happening again....So many questions.

Sam is the kind of boy you want to have around when the world goes crazy. He's definitely the reluctant
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
Well, I'm trying to write reviews more often. But I don't have anything to review today, so this will be one of my days where I revisit one of my old reviews and try to like ... write it in proper English. Since, a few years ago, I wasn't very good at doing that.

So, obviously, I didn't care for this book. I remember seeing it around in book stores a lot, and thinking it looked kinda cool and mysterious. And it sounded like an interesting premise––the adults just disappearing and whatnot. You kno
Kat Kennedy
I suppose I should provide some kind of explanation as to why I didn't finish reading this book.

It's not because the concept was stupid - actually the concept was quite interesting and would make for a fantastic philosophical discussion.
It's not because it was poorly written - actually it was written quite well with a great plot and interesting world building and action packed scenes.
It's not because the characters were horrible or annoying - Actually, Sam is really likable if not frustrating, A
Emily May
Mar 31, 2011 Emily May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi, 2011
This was a very good book about adventure, mutants, superheroes and just the plain old story of surviving high school... only this time there are no adults to keep a check on things.

This novel tells the story of how one day in a small Californian town everyone 15 and over mysteriously disappears. But that's not all. The town becomes surrounded by a strange spherical barrier, no one gets in or out. And stranger still, the children and teenagers left behind are discovering that some of them have w
Janina
I put this book aside about two weeks ago, saying I would definitely go back and finish it as I only had about 100 pages left. But it doesn’t look like it now. I’m simply not in the mood to pick it up again. And as I’m not planning on spending money on the next instalments of the series, I will probably never read them anyway, so why continue here?

I really don’t know why Gone wasn’t able to intrigue me. It is a clever and absolutely thought-provoking story that definitely got me thinking. How wo
K.D. Absolutely
Jul 26, 2012 K.D. Absolutely rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Ace
Highly enjoyable. Hooks you at the very start. I drive through the traffic everyday: about an hour in the morning and definitely more than an hour at nighttime. So, while reading the first few pages of the book, I said, wow this should happen here in Manila. Imagine all adults to disappear altogether without a trace at one time and all adolescents will follow once they turn fifteen. Obviously, this is okay as long as I and my loved ones are exempted hehe.

This is a YA book and so the characters a
Lara
Jul 18, 2008 Lara rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone, really.
I hereby predict that, sometime in the next year or so, the next big Young Adult obsession will be with the book Gone, by Michael Grant, and with the subsequent books that I hope he writes quickly because I might die if I don't know the what and the why and the how and the...well, EVERYTHING. (This is apparently the first in a series of six books.)

I also predict that it will take off like the Harry Potter and the Twilight Series, with almost as many adults reading the series as kids.

For one thi

Sh3lly ✨ Bring on the Weird ✨
"Exciting, high-tension stories. I love these books." - Stephen King

Welp, I guess this is going to be another one that I just don't get the hype over. I really wanted to like this, and it's not bad. It's just not that good either.

It doesn't seem like much of anything happened. It's like Under the Dome meets Lord of the Flies, only way suckier. There's nothing wrong with the writing, but I sure must have missed all the "exciting, high-tension" sections S.K. was talking about.

558 pages, seriously
V
Oct 17, 2012 V rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed, fiction
Gone by Michael Grant has to be one of the most frustrating novels I've read recently. Taking place in a dystopia where all the adults have disappeared, à la Lord of the Flies mixed in with some kids mysteriously getting superpowers sounds really good on paper. Too bad it didn't work when given 560 pieces of paper to work with.

The basic plot of Gone is about anybody above the age of 15 disappearing into thin air. Naturally, this leaves quite a few problems for the surviving children: there are b
Yasmin (Book Unicorn)
Nov 28, 2015 Yasmin (Book Unicorn) rated it did not like it
Shelves: overhyped, 1-stars
Rating: 1/5

One of my best friends read Gone, and loved the series, so she recommended it to me. The premises sounded interesting, so I decided to buy it, thinking I would really enjoy it, but boy was I wrong.

First off, (minor spoiler) (view spoiler)
description
Honestly, get over yourselves.

And then, the chapters about Lana. I remember the first couple times the perspective switched to her, it was like...
"She sat in the meadow whi
April
Jan 25, 2016 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites, 2015
*4.5 stars*
Kristi
Oct 26, 2008 Kristi rated it really liked it
This is my first exposure to Michael Grant's writing, and he totally blew me away. Maybe it was because I am partial to the sci-fi/fantasy genre, but truthfully I don’t think it had anything to do with it. This story was just.... WOW!

Imagine sitting in class one day, maybe you are paying attention to your teacher, maybe you are daydreaming about surfing, then all of a sudden your teacher disappears. What would you do?

It just so happens that this very scenario happens to Sam Temple in his histor
Alecia
Apr 23, 2011 Alecia rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2011
I tried and tried to love this book, but I just couldn't connect with it. The concept was a brilliant one. It was the reason I decided to buy the book in the first place, but once I started reading it, I couldn't establish a connection with any of the characters.

I just felt as if I was an outsider and not able to grasp any of the emotions of the characters. I didn't feel as if I was part of the story. At times, I thought there was too much telling as opposed to showing. There were also many pass
Morgan F
This book is one of the most thrilling and addictive books I've ever read! The incredibly paced plot and the abundant twists and turns made it nearly impossible to put down. Don't be intimidated by the length, it reads very quickly, and you'll be wishing for more by the end. I do have a couple complaints though, that I'm willing to ignore in order to give this book 5 stars. The characters are all very young, so don't expect the most challenging dialogue, and don't expect closure at all from the ...more
Angelc
Jan 06, 2010 Angelc rated it liked it
The kids of Perdido Beach suddenly-very suddenly-find themselves alone. Everyone over age 14 has disappeared without a trace. It's up to the kids to make their own society to keep themselves alive. Most of the kids want Sam to lead them, but he's not sure he's comfortable in the role. His new friends, Astrid and Edilio, and his best friend, Quinn, have to help convince him to take his place as the leader of their newfound society, as well as struggle to stay alive amidst chaos, bullies, and the ...more
Donalyn
May 03, 2009 Donalyn rated it it was amazing
I read a lot of books, but you knew that didn't you? While I enjoy most of the books I read, few stand out to me as amazing or memorable (this is why I give out so few five star reviews).

Gone is simply the best YA book I have read since Laurie Halse Anderson's Wintergirls, and stands right beside The Hunger Games and the Knife of Never Letting Go as some of the best dystopian sci-fi around...

In Perdido Beach, life is normal (mostly) until a sudden disruption results in the disappearance of ever
Joost
Dit boek hè, moet je even heel snel gaan lezen want het is zo'n gaaf boek en een geweldig begin van een superspannende en epische serie! Nog niet overtuigd? Lees dan mijn recensie:
Sara
Oct 01, 2008 Sara rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
The premise of this book sounded so interesting - everyone over the age of 15 simply disappears one day and the remaining kids are left trying to figure out what happened... plus they discover that some of them are somehow developing supernatural powers. I was excited to read this and expected writing along the lines of Scott Westerfeld, based on the plot and such. But alas, the novel did not deliver for me and I put it down after 100 pages or so, when I found myself skimming pages and caring le ...more
Elisa
Mar 15, 2014 Elisa rated it it was amazing
Joyzi
Apr 18, 2011 Joyzi rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Freaks and those who are not afraid of thick books
Recommended to Joyzi by: Goodreads and Youtube
Gone is like a mix of Lord of the Flies, Under the Dome, Animal Farm, Lost, Kid Nation, Heroes, X-Men and that Simpsons Movie...

Simpsons Movie Pictures, Images and Photos

This book I think is popular and also has quite number of fans but I haven't read it immediately because the book was very thick and I just find that I'm too lazy to follow a series like this. However I changed my mind and finally decided to read the first book.

At first my opinion about this book is, it is a very easy read. The sentences and the dialogues are kept simp
Tatiana
Jul 19, 2010 Tatiana rated it liked it
This book was a pleasant surprise. The plot is quite wild actually: one day, all people over the age of 15 disappear, and young kids are left to fend for themselves in a world, where "normal" rules no longer exist. In this new world, the FAYZ - Fallout Alley Youth Zone, the unimaginable happens - animals rapidly mutate, some kids acquire special X-men-like abilities, coyotes led by the mysterious Darkness try to overtake humans.

Undoubtedly, this sounds like a lot of craziness, and yet it all so
Thomas
In the blink of an eye. Everyone dissapears. GONE. Those three lines pretty much sum up the plot of the book, and was cleverly placed on the front jacket cover. Michael Grant phenomonaly captured so many different plot elements and combined them into a dystopic apocolypse that resembled Lord of the Flies, yet also added an element that gave characters unique abilities (like one of my favorite TV shows, Heroes).

Every character in this book has dymanic, none of them fall flat at all. There are opp
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
It's a normal November morning at Perdido Beach, a small town of about 3,000 on the California coast jokingly called Fallout Alley by the locals because of the nuclear power plant not far away. Normal, that is, until, at eighteen past ten, everyone fifteen and older disappears in the blink of an eye.

Babies to fourteen year olds are the only ones left - bewildered, lost, afraid, alone. Grade nine students Sam, his best friend Quinn, and Astrid the Genius are quick to realise what's happened, but
Diba
Jul 21, 2015 Diba rated it really liked it
Character development: 4/5
Writing:4/5
Plot:5/5 very clever
Overall: 4.3/5 enjoyed the series loads but I feel like it starts dragging on in the 5th book.
Morgan
4.5 Stars!
This book was fun, funny and very fast paced!I really like all of the weirdness in this book. I also liked a lot of the characters! I think what I loved the most was the well roundness of the characters. We have a super dude, a Mexican, we have a challenged little kid and we have the teens from an academy their parents sent them because they were trouble. I recommend this book a lot. Can't wait to get to the sequel!
Rachael
Apr 29, 2008 Rachael rated it it was amazing
Welcome to the FAYZ, short for Fallout Alley Youth Zone. There’s no one who’s over the age of fourteen; they’ve all “poofed,” they’re just gone. But the strangeness only starts there. There’s a circular wall, or maybe dome, surrounding the land within a ten-mile radius from the nuclear plant. The wall is impenetrable and burns you if you touch it. There are strange mutations in the animals, such as seagulls with talons, winged snakes, and talking coyotes. Some kids have also developed strange po ...more
Annalisa
Jul 27, 2010 Annalisa rated it really liked it
Recommended to Annalisa by: Tatiana
The big question in my head most of this book, was "who is the target audience?" Nobody in the book is over 15 (despite the 18-year-olds on the awful cover), so you'd think 13 or 14 year-olds, but at close to 600 pages, I can't see most of them reading this. And if you get too old, stories about abandoned children--babies--dying of neglect might bother you, or maybe even stories where you'd have disappeared because you've hit your 15th birthday. But despite all that, it's a great premise with a ...more
Mikaela • Night Triumphant •
You know those books you read that aren't anything like you expected after reading the summary, but were still awesome anyway?

Yeah, that was this book in a nutshell.

Also, we can add this baby to the list of "Books With Superpowers That Are Good" list. It's growing, guys. This is a good thing.

The characterization is on point. Love some of the characters or hate them, they will definitely pull you in, especially in the expert way Grant crafts the multiple POVs, which didn't bog down the story wha
lauren kellie
Jun 22, 2016 lauren kellie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: if you're looking for something that's dystopian but not overly dystopian
I had first planned on only giving this book three stars, but then I got to thinking about it, and I realized I couldn't.

This is a very unique book. I thought it was going to be dystopia-blah, but it really isn't dystopian. There is no corrupt society or government. It's just a beach town where all the adults have disappeared and the kids are trapped inside a giant forcefield.
You know, the usual.

I think Michael Grant did a really great job with this concept. He explored every angle of what it mi
Anne
Jul 23, 2012 Anne rated it really liked it
This is kind of embarrassing to admit, but I avoided this series for a while because I thought it was an offshoot of those Left Behind books. I know, I know. I should probably read them before I make any snap judgments, but I have absolutely no desire to read a series about The Rapture.
At all.
Ever.
Anyhoo. Thankfully, this series has nothing to do with that.

*Ok. Stop laughing at me! I only glanced at the blurb a few years ago! You gotta admit that "Blah, blah, blah, a bunch of people disappear.
Last Post Wins! 196 86 Jun 23, 2016 08:07AM
Gone: What would your mutation be? 40 109 Jun 01, 2016 02:01AM
The FAYZ: Favorite Gone book? 6 27 May 31, 2016 04:59AM
Gone Character Elimination Game!! 38 55 May 31, 2016 04:57AM
The Filipino Group: LOOKING FOR GONE SERIES!! 17 265 Mar 22, 2016 06:14PM
2016 Reading Chal...: Gone by Michael Grant 3 21 Mar 22, 2016 03:50PM
  • The Declaration (The Declaration, #1)
  • Monument 14 (Monument 14, #1)
  • Lockdown (Escape from Furnace, #1)
  • The Dead (The Enemy, #2)
  • Epic (Epic #1)
  • Outside In (Insider, #2)
  • The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)
  • Starters (Starters, #1)
  • The Line (The Line, #1)
  • Variant (Variant, #1)
  • Beta (Annex, #1)
  • UnWholly (Unwind, #2)
  • Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
  • Raven's Gate (The Gatekeepers, #1)
  • Ashen Winter (Ashfall, #2)
  • Candor
  • The Adoration of Jenna Fox (Jenna Fox Chronicles, #1)
  • Awaken (Awaken, #1)
Okay, trying this again. Goodreads lost the bio I just spent 30 minutes writing. So now it's just going to be incoherent rambling. Yes, the earlier draft was also incoherent rambling, but way better.

I'm the co-author or author of about 160 books, including the ANIMORPHS series, the GONE series, the BZRK series, the MAGNIFICENT 12 series (Mommy, make him stop saying series!), the MESSENGER OF FEAR
More about Michael Grant...

Gone (7 books)
  • Shade Darby (Gone, #7)

57 trivia questions
20 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Welcome to Perdido beach, where our motto is: Radiation, what radiation?” 600 likes
“We didn't Make this World we're just the Poor Fools who are living in it.” 419 likes