Start by marking “MaryJane's Outpost: Unleashing Your Inner Wild” as Want to Read:
MaryJane's Outpost: Unleashing Your Inner Wild

MaryJane's Outpost: Unleashing Your Inner Wild

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Get out! No matter what your age, MaryJane Butters walks you to the door and OUT you go. Wilderness ranger turned Idaho organic farmer, MaryJane is a woman OUTSIDE . . . the norm. Drawing from her own diverse background, she’ll show you exactly HOW to get outdoors—and what to do once you’re there.

Think and get inspired in her OUTTHINKING chapter. Head to your porch, yard,
Published June 24th 2008 by Clarkson Potter Publishers

To ask other readers questions about MaryJane's Outpost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MaryJane's Outpost

Lisha Sterling
This book is a wonderful exploration of life outdoors, of women's strength found in adventure, and of simple self-sufficiency. It's not a book about being self-sufficient 24/7 or living off the land all the time, though. Instead, it's a book about refueling and refreshing yourself with bits of the outside in any season. It's a book about finding courage in simple acts of venturing out beyond the house. It's also about finding out more about the land around you, what foods are hidden in plain sig ...more
Stephanie
MaryJane Butters' cheerfully feminist book, MaryJane's Outpost was just the thing to read this gray May month. It stoked my desire to take my two little girls camping this summer and made me realize that even in my own little city backyard, we can pitch a tent and sleep outside and have our own little mini camping trip. Now I just need some warm weather.
Didi Delighted
The layout and pictures in this book are very pleasing, and it has a cheerful tone. I liked the how-to projects in this book better than the ones in her "idea/lifebook" book. There is a nice "how-to" on making an end table from willow branches that I think is lovely, and certainly wish to try on my own. The author jumps around a lot with different ideas, but I like the overall outdoorsy spirit of this book. It is nice that she includes info (with pics) about common wild edibles and how to prepar ...more
Kim
There is a kindred spirit of mine out there. I thought when I picked this up from the library it was a home decorating book using things recycled/antique/outdoorsy from the cover. It wasn't until I got home and read it that I found out it was about all things Kim loves...outdoor activities, foraging for food (dandelion wine anyone?), raising chickens, backyard BBQs with friends, grass whistling, animal shadows, camping. I want this woman's life!
Candy
A fun read. I liked the antique ironing boards, the "fantasy" of sleeping outside, and the survival skills section. I am adding "large plastic garbage bag" to my Circleville Pumpkin Show backpack list. I never thought of wearing a trash bag and stuffing it with leaves or grass for insulation. There has been many a cold and windy show where I would have been glad to have the wind-cutting power of a plastic bag over my clothes.
Relyn
May 17, 2010 Relyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women who still feel like girls inside
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Maryjane Butters
I got this from the library and was so intrigued. However, I didn't finish it before I began to pile up late fees. So, I return it today and plan to check it out again as soon as possible.

OK, I don't know how much later it is, but I have finished this book now. I love it! The ideas are terrific, the inspiration is abundant, and the eye candy on every page is delicious. This is one I must buy.
Kathryn
Okay, so I am not a camping, hiking kinda girl, but this book is still fun to read and appreciate. Who doesn't want to unleash their inner wild?
Sara
I've been enjoying her magainzes, and this was fun to flip through. Some good recipes and cute ideas.
Susan Jones
Loved this book! What a fantasy getaway for a few hours to read this book on the front porch swing!
Melissa Baggett
A cute book...reminds me of some of why I wanted to move to MT in the first place.
Annie Feuerborn
How to keep on being a "country-girl"..Fun and interesting.
C.
C. added it
Jul 26, 2015
Pamela Priest
Pamela Priest marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Michelle Morizio
Michelle Morizio marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Alexandria
Alexandria marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Arlene Adams-gertsch
Arlene Adams-gertsch marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Rachael
Rachael marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Peprmntpurple
Peprmntpurple marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
MaryJane's Ideabook, Cookbook, Lifebook: For the Farmgirl in All of Us Glamping with MaryJane: Glamour + Camping MaryJane's Stitching Room Milk Cow Kitchen: Making the World a Better Place One Backyard at a Time MaryJane's Farmgirl Wisdom: Magnetic Quotes and Inspiration (Magnetic Wisdom)