Start by marking “Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America” as Want to Read:
Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America

Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  181 ratings  ·  28 reviews

Had enough?

Whether you find the government oppressive, the economy spiraling out of control, or if you simply want adventure, you’re not alone. In increasing numbers, the idea is talked about openly: Expatriate.

Over three hundred thousand Americans emigrate each year, and more than a million go to foreign lands for lengthy stays.

But picking up and moving to another country
Published October 1st 2006 by Process Media

To ask other readers questions about Getting Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Out

Jason Lundberg
Getting Out: Your Guide to Leaving America is volume 2 in Process Media’s Self-Reliance series, and aspires to be an all-purpose guide for expatriation from the USA. Written with a pessimistic slant toward the current state of the nation (only natural, since Process’s books tend to lean firmly to the left), the book presents a compelling case for leaving the country, be it for political or economic reasons, or for a chance at adventure.

Ehrman splits up the book into eight parts — Ways to Leave;
Mark
How to leave America. Supposed to be practical, but might be more geared to just daydreaming. I've put up with Bush for this long, why leave now?
Jeff Martin
Should probably be updated to include more countries in a post-Bush world, but nevertheless entertaining.
Janice
Sep 24, 2008 Janice rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: future expatriates
although i marked this as "read," you can only read so far into this appropriately-timed book before it becomes a list of countries and their pluses and minuses re: the expatriate lifestyle. there are very helpful facts, such as the legality/safety of open homosexuality in each country, etc. i enjoyed looking up the few countries i might be interested in spending some time in, and then it was kind of done for me.

the first part, though, is a useful and interesting overview of all of the different
Sunil
Getting Out is written with a near-continuous sneer that just feels immature after a while. It has the "Fuck Bush!" sentiment that most held in high school and that now, in the oh-so-enlightened 2010s, I find sort of cringe-worthy, even if it's still right. I find the pure vitriol has mostly evaporated; we've survived to see an uptick in worldwide regard of the U.S., and besides, we have more to question about Bush's handlers than Bush himself -believe me, I never thought I would be anything rem ...more
Mark
A fairly quick read since I skipped over sections I wasn't interested in. (Places like Latvia or anywhere in the Middle East are not on my prospective list) Good information, although totally slanted to the left. Interestingly, a lot of things the Bush administration is accused of, also applies to the current Obama administration. In my mind, this just attests to how thoroughly dysfunctional the US has become. Recommended, but look for newer editions. Also, plenty of other options in this genre.
Hilary
Nov 21, 2007 Hilary rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who want to leave the U.S.
Shelves: how-to
It's got kind of an annoying style, with contributions from some people I wouldn't want to be friends with at all, but it's interesting information. The main thing I learned is, Canada: Easier than you think. Especially if you don't mind working in the middle of the country, where they need a lot of young workers right now, because of the shale-oil stuff, but who knows how long that will last, and, ew. But ultimately, Canada's a big country with a relatively small population, so they aren't very ...more
Molly Cecile
This book is more like a reference book. I agree with some of the other reviews, it's totally pointed on the left side and very pessimistic. Like America is absolutely horrible. Period. Yet in reality, not all of the people featured in the book have left America just because they hate it. It just wasn't for them.

It is a good book to having though if you travel a lot, for long periods of time and need to have a quick reference to read to up on a country.
Arwen Downs
This is the next step up from poring over various Lonely Planet books on different countries. The snapshots of American expatriate life in other countries never cease to fascinate me, and there are helpful suggestions for every aspect of emigration from the difficulty level of getting a work visa to the world's most and least expensive cities to live in. I am still shocked that Winston-Salem is the 124th cheapest city out of 144. . .
Rori
Excellent primer on how to get out of the United States. LOTS of information on other countries and how easy/difficult it is to move there. My copy got wet and mangled somehow (??) but it still sits on my bookshelf (which is saying something, because I have very little space and A LOT of books) waiting to be used/re- read.

If you're looking to get out of the US, it's a definite "must" read.
Dayla
I enjoyed reading this book, but mostly the rules have changed since the original book, that I found it so laborious to even go to France for more than 3 months. Has anyone ever tried going to the French Embassy in Los Angeles? Amazing! One can never leave that office not feeling "sucker punched" in some way. Because, ALWAYS, there is one more form to complete.
Carissa
LOVED this book, too much.

This is one of those books that unless you really plan on doing what the title suggests, you shouldn't read it. This goes into the details of how to actually move abroad. And it didn't scare me, it made me want to do it. I put the book away for a week, because it made me way too excited.

Ultimately, a fabulous book.
Jaimie Foster
Dang it. There aren't not as many opportunities as I thought. And England is really cold even in July. The book is well-organized but it doesn't have as much information about each country as I would like. It does let you know the countries which are the most lenient towards marijuana possession, though, in case anyone needs to know.
great book! info on moving overseas. lists detailed info on 50 countries and what to expect for setting up a business, social life, retiring, ease of residency, how far the dollar will go, etc. personal letters from many expats sorted by country or topic.
Sandy
promises to be an interesting book! like it already, with its comprehensive reviews of lots of rely nice altenatives to this wretched country. Looking forward to reading more and mor of it! Richard is too!
Chelle
Covers many of the practical considerations of moving to and working in another country, whether you want to be legal or fly under the radar.
Jaime
This book has plenty of useful information but the editing/proofreading is so poor as to be distracting. Still, it's a decent resource.
Page
SO FAR I'M LEARNING SO MANY THINGS ABOUT VISAs and NITTY GRITTY SNAPSHOT DETAILS OF EX-PAT DESTINATIONS. This book is wicked awesome.
Cristina
Oct 21, 2007 Cristina rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: potential expatriots
it appears to be a lot more difficult to indefinately leave the country than i had initially anticipated. bummer.
Lana Jax
2010 i plan to be an expatriate of America, or die trying. this book is almost as essential as a friggin dictionary.
Aja Marsh
great catch-all resource on moving/living abroad as an American. lots of weblinks and anecdotes.
Grace
If you are planning to become an ex-pat, this book is full of resources and courage.
Robert Lawson
Well, I live in Europe now so I'd say it was pretty good!
Nov 18, 2010 Sarah added it
Very helpful the little bit I got around to reading!
Robert Ingram
An wonderful guide to anyone thinking of expatriating.
John
Sep 27, 2012 John added it
The reasons for this should be fairly obvious.
Margo
Helpful place to start if you want to GTFO
Courtney
Aug 21, 2007 Courtney marked it as to-read
Sweden, here I come!
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
  • Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard
  • Tiny Homes: Simple Shelter
  • Art and Science of Dumpster Diving
  • The Methods of Nonviolent Action
  • Trespass: A History Of Uncommissioned Urban Art
  • The Price of Freedom: Political Philosophy from Thoreau's Journals
  • Standing Up To the Madness: Ordinary Heroes In Extraordinary Times
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • Small Acts of Resistance: How Courage, Tenacity, and Ingenuity Can Change the World
  • The City Homesteader: Self-Sufficiency on Any Square Footage
  • Foxfire 6
  • My 'Dam Life: Three Years in Holland
  • Recipes for Disaster: An Anarchist Cookbook
  • Me and My Sewing Machine
  • Kooks: A Guide to the Outer Limits of Human Belief
  • The Tumbleweed DIY Book of Backyard Sheds and Tiny Houses: Build your own guest cottage, writing studio, home office, craft workshop, or personal retreat
  • The Unconquerable World: Power, Nonviolence, and the Will of the People
  • Modern Homestead: Grow, Raise, Create
Take a Nap! Change Your Life.

“I went to the Protestant cemetery, and it sounds really morbid, but when I came here, I thought that this is where I want to die. I feel spiritually found here.” 0 likes