Start by marking “Lewis Carroll And Alice” as Want to Read:
Lewis Carroll And Alice

Lewis Carroll And Alice

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  5 reviews
One golden summer afternoon in 1862, the young Oxford mathematics don Charles Dodgson shared a picnic with three little girls in a boat on the River Thames. One of the sisters, Alice Liddell, asked for a story with plenty of nonsense in it. The adventure he created for her under the pen name Lewis Carroll and the unforgettable characters he invented - the White Rabbit, the ...more
Unknown Binding
Published June 2nd 1997 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Lewis Carroll And Alice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lewis Carroll And Alice

Joyce
This is one of my "thrift store" finds, beautiful paper, illustrations, and photographs with minimal biography but "Documents" pages of excerpts from Carroll's works and detailed index. Offers much insight into Oxford/British society and cultural norms as well as into the life and mind of this most unusual mathematician and author.

This is not great literature, criticism, or biography, but I'd never thought much about Lewis Carroll before and now I'm at least minimally informed. Besides, it's a
Heather
I loved learing about the most wonderful author in the world!
Sistermagpie
This is a really nice, concise overview of Lewis Carroll's life. It's to the point and does a good job at explaining certain details that might be confusing to those of us who aren't Victorian professors at Oxford. There's also good use of detail--not a lot of overexplaining of everything, but certain bits dropped in that give you an idea of what he must have been like. For instance, explaining the rules of a logic game he created.
Jane Baker
I found the relationship he had with children disturbing! (Very MJ) The author doesn't say anything clearly, but leaves it up to the reader. But it's sort of a mystery! The pages cut out of his diary. The photograph of naked children (seen as acceptable in his time). The sudden end of his photography. The relationships with little girls. weird.
Judy
Found this slim volume on my shelf and was attracted by the slick paper and photos. Was Dodgson weird? Yes, but his Alice was charming and way outside the box. Honestly, the 1862 Tenniel illustrations are my favorite part.
Ken Russell
Ken Russell marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Jenny Jones
Jenny Jones marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Karenn Gauthier
Karenn Gauthier marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2015
Randi Rezendes
Randi Rezendes marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Penny Leuchtag
Penny Leuchtag marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Kristy
Kristy added it
May 03, 2014
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Veronika Langová
Veronika Langová marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014