Start by marking “Second Sight (Arcane Society, #1)” as Want to Read:
Second Sight (Arcane Society, #1)

Second Sight (The Arcane Society #1)

3.84  ·  Rating Details ·  10,822 Ratings  ·  510 Reviews
In financial straits and on a sure path to spinsterhood, Venetia Milton thought her stay at the remote, ramshackle Arcane House, far from society's prying eyes, would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to engineer her own ravishment. She was there to photograph the relics and artifacts collected by a highly secretive organization, founded two centuries earlier by an eccen ...more
Audio CD, MP3 Library Edition Unabridged
Published May 9th 2006 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Second Sight, please sign up.

SRH i would definitely recommend to read it in order. you will enjoy it much more-the layers of the story unravel in every book, and you find out more and…morei would definitely recommend to read it in order. you will enjoy it much more-the layers of the story unravel in every book, and you find out more and more.(less)

Alex is The Romance Fox
I am not exactly an historical romance lover and you probably thinking…if so, why did I even pick this book up and what made me like it so much………….. ?

Having read and liked 5 of the books in Jayne Ann Krentz’s Arcane Society Series, I have wanted to read the rest of the series and discovered that Second Sight was Book 1 and it would give me the back-story on the series and how the secretive Arcane Society was started and what it represents. Men and women with paranormal abilities!!!!

The book blu
Robin (Bridge Four)
3.5 Stars

Historical Fiction + Paranormal Elements + Sexy Times. Well, well, well this is right up my alley.

I like the idea of adding Paranormal aspects in a Victorian setting. The romance/sexy times isn’t as much in the forefront of the story as I would have liked for a book like this but the Murder Mystery was fun and made up for it.

In this setting some individuals have evolved to have certain Arcane powers of some sort. Venitia can see auras and sense energies on artifacts. She is the eldest
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
This was an entertaining book, but I think it could have been more enthralling. I felt a connection between Venetia and Gabriel, but I felt that it should have been more intense physically. The love scenes were way too abbreviated considering that Gabriel was a man of strong passions, although he was trying to keep those under control. I think too much focus was placed on the mystery and not enough on the romance. Had this been marketed as a mystery novel, I would have no complaints. But since i ...more
Stupid, stupid, & more stupid, capped by a healthy dollop of lame.

Yes, world-building can be tedious, but sometimes it's necessary...because THIS dreck is what happens when the author dumps a bunch of paranormal shit in our laps without bothering to lay the groundwork. Frequent & hammy insertions of terms like 'psychical' or 'aura' or 'metaphysical energy' or 'arcane' is NOT a substitute for world-building, regardless of whether your book is supposed to be set in Victorian England.

As f
Sombra
No sabía muy bien como calificarle, y no porque no me haya gustado, sino porque el final ha sido tan súbito, que me ha descolocado.
Desde el primer momento la autora nos presenta un libro de misterio y toques paranormales, que hacen que una historia que bien podría haber sido muy típica, acabe enganchando más debido a ese secretismo y actitudes de los protagonistas.

Gabriel es un caballero que pertenece a la Sociedad Arcana, una especie de "Logia", vamos a llamarla, llena de eruditos y con poderes
Lizzy
I took me a long while to start reading the Arcane Society series. It seems that I suffered from a misapprehension that I would not enjoy a historical novel with paranormal twists ( Jayne Anne Krentz/ Amanda Quick begins the series on the Victorian time, only later I realized it went back and forth between historical and contemporary settings, to later go foward to the future). So I was wrong, and although it wasn’t an exceptional beginning, I enjoyed Second Sight.

Photographer Venetia Milton i
Jasmin
I positively adore Amanda Quick and I absolutely love her historical romances. Except this one.

This book disappointed me. I was expecting something hilarious and something that would cause my heart to flutter in my chest. But it definitely wasn't this.

Apparently, Amanda Quick wants to try writing paranormal romance since the genre sells like hotcakes, but this attempt is utter failure. She doesn't use any vampires in the book, but she might as well thrown in a little vampire action in the mix, s
Daniella
Jul 02, 2015 Daniella rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It pains me to give this such a bad rating, especially since I absolutely love Amanda Quick, but Second Sight has too many flaws to ignore--one of which, the characterisation issue, prevented me from enjoying the novel to the fullest.

First, the writing lacked smoothness and clarity. The story did not flow fluidly from chapter to chapter. In fact, it was more like a collection of disorganised and disjointed pieces than a coherent whole.

I'm acquainted with Ms. Quick's writing well enough to know
Lakshmi C
3.5

RTC

Cheri
Feb 13, 2017 Cheri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this one as well as the other Arcane Society books. It was okay, but just so slow paced.
Jacob Proffitt
I know that I started this book once before, but I can't for the life of me remember when or why I didn’t finish. I suspect it was a Kindle sample and being that it's published by Penguin, the price was simply too outrageous to pony up the money. I mean, when the Kindle version costs more than the paperback, you know that somebody has a flawed view of consumer value.

Anyway, I picked up some Jayne Ann Krentz books recently, including the second in the Arcane Society series (Amanda Quick is a pseu
Freda Malone
I decided to read this historical paranormal fiction because I was looking for a new series of books. I like psychics who are humble with their gifts. This is the first book in the series but it does not seem that the characters will be continued on to the next book(s). Upon reading the blurbs, I have stumbled on a series of an Arcane Society, which its focal point is just that, a Society of ancient history, generations of ancestors passing on their gifts to their children, grandchildren and so ...more
Lisa Kay
Really 3 stars. Well narrated by Anne Flosnik. I could swear I’ve read this book b/f, but I know that is not possible. I think AQ just recycled some of her plotlines on this one. The romance happened too fast and the reasoning for her taking his name was kind of “Huh?” (IMHO). I said this again over his reasons for returning from the dead. Not one of my favorites by this author. Still, it was good enough that I'll continue with the series. ...more
Amelia-Irene
Feb 28, 2011 Amelia-Irene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Veneta Milton is doing something unusual in Victorian society, she's working as a photographer. As she's over the typical age of women looking for a husband. She's also responsible for her younger siblings and for her aunt. Any man that she might want to marry would also have the responsibility for them as well. As she doesn't see a husband in her future, she's decided that she doesn't want to die a virgin, she will take a night where she might know the "sins of the flesh". Veneta gives herself ...more
Jessie
Jan 06, 2013 Jessie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-hardcover
I've heard the term wallpaper historical before, and now I'm going to invent a new term just for this book: wallpaper paranormal.

This book had the potential to be really interesting: a historical romance with paranormal elements. Yay! Instead, the world building was so feather-light as to almost be nonexistent, both on the historical romance side and the paranormal side. The romance felt rushed and the mystery was resolved with almost no help from the main characters.

I did like Venetia quite a l
Linda
Closer to 2.5 Stars

Years ago I gave Jayne Krentz aka Amanda Quick a couple of tries with some books of hers. I remembered I just wasn't interested and dropped what I had started. But I know she has devoted fans. When I ran across her name at the library recently, I decided to give her another go.

SECOND SIGHT is the first book in the 'Arcane Society' series and takes place during Victorian times. A.S. is a parapsychological organization made up of individuals who have extra-sensory abilities. Gab
This book was just as enjoyable as the others in this series I've read. If you're a fan of Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick, then you should definitely enjoy this book as well.

I've been reading the Arcane Society books out of order (so far #2, #3, #6 and #1), but they all work well as stand alones, though I can definitely see where reading them in order would be beneficial.

I love Ms. Krentz's writing style, her books were some of the first I read when making the transition in to more adult reading.
Majo
Empecé esta saga por el libro dos, El Tercer Círculo y me encantó. La verdad es que me tomo por sorpresa porque yo esperaba un romance histórico y me encontré inmersa en un mundo metafísico con secretismo y sociedades secretas. Ese libro me gusto tanto que decidí leer los siguientes de la saga, pero empezar por el primero esta vez.

Vaya decepción.

El libro esta bueno, sí, pero comparándolo con El tercer círculo, no le llega ni a los talones...

Para empezar, Venetia no terminaba de caerme del todo
Juliana Philippa
Apr 28, 2011 Juliana Philippa marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I'm normally a huge Amanda Quick fan, so am used to - and enjoy - her style and characters. For some reason, I couldn't get into this book. We start 5 days into the hero and heroine's meeting and at that point they've both somewhat fallen for one another and want to have an "illicit affair." We're not privy to how any of that went down though, because we skipped it all!

They start their affair, Venetia has be rushed away because thieves are breaking in, a week later she reads in the paper that Ga
Diane ~Firefly~
Venetia is commissioned to photograph the artifacts of the Arcane Society. While there, she falls for Gabriel Jones but is rushed off when it looks like someone is robbing the place. Later she reads that Gabe was found dead. With the money from the commission, she takes her aunt, sister and brother and sets up a photography studio in London claiming to be the Widow Jones. Imagine her surprise when Gabriel shows up and claims to be her undeceased husband.

All the standard JAK elements are here, bu
Teagan
May 20, 2008 Teagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
I've long been a fan of anything by Amanda Quick/J.A.Krentz/Jayne Castle, but I am fairly new to the Society books that she's been doing. I don't know of many authors who can balance out the intrigue, romance and the psychical storylines as well as she does. Her chapters are richly textured and nothing is put to waste. You read her books and find yourself totally engrossed in the story. For a fellow writer, sometimes the ability to lose yourself in any book is a hard thing to do. Venetia's abili ...more
Josen
Feb 19, 2016 Josen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-library
What can I say I'm a sucker for historical romance. :) Gabriel and Venetia are two people who both have "psychical" abilities. She can see auras and he can sense spoors (tracks or traits left by people meaning harm). It's Victorian London, it's romance, it's "psychical".......I'm so there. :) This is an Arcane Society series but each book is a stand alone. Will I continue it? Uhh.....yeah! Lol! But only the historical ones. Amanda Quick is a pseudonym for Jayne Ann Krentz. Part of this series is ...more
Jacqueline
An Arcane Society novel. I liked it but am not as fond of the historical novels in this series as I am the modern ones. They always seem more light and fluffy. The motivations of the characters are fairly flimsy but it all hangs together. We don't spend much time at all in the characters heads learning what they are feeling so we don't invest as much in them as in some other authors.

As is normal for this series, an amusing story without being laugh out loud. Comfortable and easy to spend a coup
Susan
Aug 19, 2009 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2013
This was just an OK story for me. Nothing wrong with it but I found it slow-going. Some was really interesting, other parts just 'meh'. I was hoping for something different and didn't get it so I'm afraid that I probably won't continue on with this series.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Ohh, I like this new series. Gabriel is pretty hot. I enjoy the arcane theme and how this society is starting up. These secret societies which is set up to do good always bring a smile to my face. I kind of wish I was in one of these.
jD
The characters were boring and the story was lacking in every way that counts. I am still amazed by how bad it was. I really did not want to give up that one star.
Anita
Actual Rating: 3.5 Stars

I sat on this review for a few days wondering what to say about Second Sight only to realize that I really could not think of anything else to say about it at all that would be useful in a review.  Because, unlike the other two Amanda Quick books I've already read, this one wasn't really all that memorable.  My only notion is that I enjoyed it while I was reading it and it captured my attention enough for me to breeze through the entire story--conflict, romance, and all.

I
Aarann
Dec 08, 2014 Aarann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meh, own-audio
2.5 stars.

This book was... okay...

Honestly, I really don't have much to say about it. It's been three days since I finished it and I've already forgotten big chunks of it. Basically, Venetia and Gabriel get biz-ay, she discovers a few days later that he is "dead", and when she moves to London to start her own business (something that unmarried women cannot do, so she must create a widowhood), she takes his name as her own to remember the man who took her virginity. Of course Gabriel isn't dead a
Rosina
May 08, 2011 Rosina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I love stories set in Victorian times. I like being transported to those times and imagining what it would be like to live in those times.

Venetia Milton is a woman in her late twenties, over proper marrying age. She has already accepted the fact that she will never have a husband but does not see why she can't enjoy a little passion in her life.
She is sent to photograph certain artifacts for a very secret society, the Arcane Society, when she meets Gabriel Jones.

Gabriel s
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3)
  • Midnight Crystal (Ghost Hunters, #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni
More about Amanda Quick...

The Arcane Society (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3)
  • The Third Circle (Arcane Society, #4)
  • Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5)
  • The Perfect Poison (Arcane Society, #6)
  • Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7; Dreamlight Trilogy, #1)
  • Burning Lamp (Arcane Society, #8; Dreamlight Trilogy, #2)
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
  • Quicksilver (Arcane Society, #11; Looking Glass Trilogy #2)

“There was nothing like having a dead husband return from the grave to ruin a fine spring morning.” 68 likes
“I am crushed by your poor opinion
But will endeavor to carry on.”
25 likes