Second Sight (Arcane Society, #1)

Second Sight (The Arcane Society #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  7,398 ratings  ·  362 reviews
In financial straits and on a sure path to spinsterhood, Venetia Milton thought her stay at the remote, ramshackle Arcane House, far from society's prying eyes, would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to engineer her own ravishment. She was there to photograph the relics and artifacts collected by a highly secretive organization, founded two centuries earlier by an eccen...more
Audio CD, MP3 Library Edition Unabridged
Published May 9th 2006 by Brilliance Audio (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Second Sight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Sight

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
This was an entertaining book, but I think it could have been more enthralling. I felt a connection between Venetia and Gabriel, but I felt that it should have been more intense physically. The love scenes were way too abbreviated considering that Gabriel was a man of strong passions, although he was trying to keep those under control. I think too much focus was placed on the mystery and not enough on the romance. Had this been marketed as a mystery novel, I would have no complaints. But since i...more
Jasmin
I positively adore Amanda Quick and I absolutely love her historical romances. Except this one.

This book disappointed me. I was expecting something hilarious and something that would cause my heart to flutter in my chest. But it definitely wasn't this.

Apparently, Amanda Quick wants to try writing paranormal romance since the genre sells like hotcakes, but this attempt is utter failure. She doesn't use any vampires in the book, but she might as well thrown in a little vampire action in the mix, s...more
Lisa Kay
Really 3 ½ stars. Well narrated by Anne Flosnik. I could swear I’ve read this book b/f, but I know that is not possible. I think AQ just recycled some of her plotlines on this one. The romance happened too fast and the reasoning for her taking his name was kind of “Huh?” (IMHO). I said this again over his reasons for returning from the dead. Not one of my favorites by this author. Still, it was good enough that I'll continue with the series.
Jacob Proffitt
I know that I started this book once before, but I can't for the life of me remember when or why I didn’t finish. I suspect it was a Kindle sample and being that it's published by Penguin, the price was simply too outrageous to pony up the money. I mean, when the Kindle version costs more than the paperback, you know that somebody has a flawed view of consumer value.

Anyway, I picked up some Jayne Ann Krentz books recently, including the second in the Arcane Society series (Amanda Quick is a pseu...more
Linda
Closer to 2.5 Stars

Years ago I gave Jayne Krentz aka Amanda Quick a couple of tries with some books of hers. I remembered I just wasn't interested and dropped what I had started. But I know she has devoted fans. When I ran across her name at the library recently, I decided to give her another go.

SECOND SIGHT is the first book in the 'Arcane Society' series and takes place during Victorian times. A.S. is a parapsychological organization made up of individuals who have extra-sensory abilities. Gab...more
This book was just as enjoyable as the others in this series I've read. If you're a fan of Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick, then you should definitely enjoy this book as well.

I've been reading the Arcane Society books out of order (so far #2, #3, #6 and #1), but they all work well as stand alones, though I can definitely see where reading them in order would be beneficial.

I love Ms. Krentz's writing style, her books were some of the first I read when making the transition in to more adult reading....more
Amelia-Irene
Veneta Milton is doing something unusual in Victorian society, she's working as a photographer. As she's over the typical age of women looking for a husband. She's also responsible for her younger siblings and for her aunt. Any man that she might want to marry would also have the responsibility for them as well. As she doesn't see a husband in her future, she's decided that she doesn't want to die a virgin, she will take a night where she might know the "sins of the flesh". Veneta gives herself...more
Jessie Mihalik
I've heard the term wallpaper historical before, and now I'm going to invent a new term just for this book: wallpaper paranormal.

This book had the potential to be really interesting: a historical romance with paranormal elements. Yay! Instead, the world building was so feather-light as to almost be nonexistent, both on the historical romance side and the paranormal side. The romance felt rushed and the mystery was resolved with almost no help from the main characters.

I did like Venetia quite a l...more
Teagan
I've long been a fan of anything by Amanda Quick/J.A.Krentz/Jayne Castle, but I am fairly new to the Society books that she's been doing. I don't know of many authors who can balance out the intrigue, romance and the psychical storylines as well as she does. Her chapters are richly textured and nothing is put to waste. You read her books and find yourself totally engrossed in the story. For a fellow writer, sometimes the ability to lose yourself in any book is a hard thing to do. Venetia's abili...more
Susan
This was just an OK story for me. Nothing wrong with it but I found it slow-going. Some was really interesting, other parts just 'meh'. I was hoping for something different and didn't get it so I'm afraid that I probably won't continue on with this series.
Majo
Empecé esta saga por el libro dos, El Tercer Círculo y me encantó. La verdad es que me tomo por sorpresa porque yo esperaba un romance histórico y me encontré inmersa en un mundo metafísico con secretismo y sociedades secretas. Ese libro me gusto tanto que decidí leer los siguientes de la saga, pero empezar por el primero esta vez.
Vaya decepción.
El libro esta bueno, sí, pero comparándolo con El tercer círculo, no le llega ni a los talones...
Para empezar, Venetia no terminaba de caerme del todo...more
Metaspinster
I'm giving this one four stars even though it's maybe not the very best of this series, but it was the first one I read and it hooked me. [And indeed, certain elements that can become a trifle repetitive in later books are fresh and new in this one.] Also, there's early photography! And a plucky, resourceful heroine who's doing just fine with her assorted eccentric relatives and friends and doesn't NEED the hero, but.

Plus, it's always a relief to find a historical romance which is not all about...more
Rosina
I enjoyed this book. I love stories set in Victorian times. I like being transported to those times and imagining what it would be like to live in those times.

Venetia Milton is a woman in her late twenties, over proper marrying age. She has already accepted the fact that she will never have a husband but does not see why she can't enjoy a little passion in her life.
She is sent to photograph certain artifacts for a very secret society, the Arcane Society, when she meets Gabriel Jones.

Gabriel s...more
Dianne
Set in the Victorian era, Amanda Quick, (aka: Jayne Krentz)opens her new series with a story about photographer Venetia Milton, her family's sole support and the handsome and mysterious Gabriel Jones, a client who has hired her to take photographs of valuable relics.

Venetia has decided to lose her 'innocence' to Gabriel, because as things stand, she will die a spinster! Unfortunately, immediately after, Gabriel is thought to have been killed in a fire that consumed his home. Not one to miss out...more
Christine
I got confused by the fact that this author writes under both Amanda Quick and Jayne Ann Krentz, so even though this is the first book in the Arcane Society series, I read it 2nd. For those who are unaware, Amanda Quick is the pseudonym for her historical romance novels, including those novels in the Arcane Society series that take place in 19th century England. Jayne Ann Krentz is the pseudonym she uses for modern novels, including the Arcane Society novels that take place in modern-day America...more
Stacie  M. Ritchie
This is the first book in the Arcane Society series by Amanda Quick/Jayne Ann Krentz. Venetia Milton is a photographer. She has been supporting and running her family since the death of her parents. Family secrets came out and she was forced to support her younger siblings and aunt. She is commissioned to photograph the Arcane Society’s collection of artifacts. She knows this the only time that she doesn’t have to think about her reputation. Gabriel Jones is a hunter with all the senses that com...more
Juliana
May 10, 2011 Juliana marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I'm normally a huge Amanda Quick fan, so am used to - and enjoy - her style and characters. For some reason, I couldn't get into this book. We start 5 days into the hero and heroine's meeting and at that point they've both somewhat fallen for one another and want to have an "illicit affair." We're not privy to how any of that went down though, because we skipped it all!

They start their affair, Venetia has be rushed away because thieves are breaking in, a week later she reads in the paper that Ga...more
This book is a fine example of Quick's historical fiction, but I really want to comment on the whole Arcane Society series. Amanda Quick is one of Jane Ann Krentz's pseudonymns - the others being Jane Ann Krentz (contemporaries) and Jayne Castle (paranormals). Her Arcane Society novels cross her historical and contemporary geners giving readers an instant affinity for and recongnition of the 'world' she's built. Some characters appear in more than one book and/or are referenced by other characte...more
CaroB
I picked this book up for my bookshelf Bingo challenge. This was a great excuse for me to finally start the Arcane Society series from this author that I've been putting off. I must admit that while I liked this story, I didn't love it.
The plot and surrounding mystery was very well set up, with twists and turns and snakes - oh my! The suspects were presented to keep the reader guessing and their motives very plausible. My disappointment stems from the vagueness in the romance. While I liked Ven...more
Diane ~Firefly~
Venetia is commissioned to photograph the artifacts of the Arcane Society. While there, she falls for Gabriel Jones but is rushed off when it looks like someone is robbing the place. Later she reads that Gabe was found dead. With the money from the commission, she takes her aunt, sister and brother and sets up a photography studio in London claiming to be the Widow Jones. Imagine her surprise when Gabriel shows up and claims to be her undeceased husband.

All the standard JAK elements are here, bu...more
Tina Hayes
It didn't take me long to read this historic romantic suspense novel. Amanda Quick has a way with prose that draws the reader into each chapter alongside the characters.

In "Second Sight", photographer Venetia Milton has a romantic encounter with Gabriel Jones, heir to the Arcane Society, immediately after which she is whisked away to safety while he stays to try and capture intruders before they can steal any valuable artifacts. After reading that Gabriel has supposedly been killed, she moves w...more
Jacqueline
An Arcane Society novel. I liked it but am not as fond of the historical novels in this series as I am the modern ones. They always seem more light and fluffy. The motivations of the characters are fairly flimsy but it all hangs together. We don't spend much time at all in the characters heads learning what they are feeling so we don't invest as much in them as in some other authors.

As is normal for this series, an amusing story without being laugh out loud. Comfortable and easy to spend a coup...more
Sheila Melo
Unique Paranormal Historical

SECOND SIGHT is the first book in the Arcane series about people who possess psychic abilities. The books cross genres and Jayne Ann Krentz had written books in the series under JAK, Amanda Quick and Jayne Castle.

SECOND SIGHT is the story of Venetia Milton who is a photographer who also has the psychic ability of seeing auras. She is hired by the Arcane Society to photograph various relics in a remote house. There she meets Gabriel Jones and decides to seduce him. Aft...more
Riccarla Roman
It's been a while since I've read an Amanda Quick book and I had forgotten how much I loved her work.

Venetia is a photographer in the time of Queen Victoria. She gets the chance of a lifetime when asked to archive some of the items collected by the Arcane Society. Gabriel Jones is the caretaker of these artifacts. Sparks fly between them and later sparks fly when intruders enter that house and set fire to the valuable items. Gabriel gets Venetia and the servants to safety but is reported killed...more
LibraryLass
A great story. I love a bit of the psychic phenomenon in with my plotlines. I picked this one up again because I had just got Sizzle and burn from the library and wanted to refresh my memory so to speak. (I am rather pedantic about reading series). So I read this, it's sequel White lies and Sizzle and burn almost one after the other. Another truly satisfying read by this author. She is one of only a few authors that I have purchased "keepers" of.

Re-read Feb 08, July 09
Jackie
In Second Sight by Amanda Quick, Venetia is hired by the Arcane Society to photograph the Society’s relicts and treasures and she travels to the countryside where she meets Gabriel Jones. When she meets Gabe and sees the isolation of Arcane House, Venetia decides that Gabe is the perfect man to fulfill her long dreamed desires to learn the physical side of love. Their brief relationship is cut short by the arrival of intruders and Venetia is hurried out of the property along with the servants, w...more
Pam
I thoroughly enjoyed this, loved that both Venetia and Gabriel were strong characters and in spite pf social norms, fought off the expected behaviors and treated each other with respect. The sex/romance was relatively tame, but satisfying, none the less. My understanding of this series, with it's unorthodox structure, will have me reading the next one pretty quickly, but just not in a must-read-now kind of fire.
Carrie
3.5*-4*

I picked up this first title of the Arcane Society book at the urging of my daughter. I was overall pleased and entertained. Good characters, interesting mystery, touch of paranormal. I thought Venetia a bit dense at times about her relationship with Gabe, but not so badly it made me dislike her. This is the first Jayne Ann Krentz/ Amanda Quick/ Jayne Castle I've read, and I plan to read more.
Holly McIntyre
Ok, I should have known better. I don't read romance novels. I don't like romance novels. But I do like the occasional paranormal theme (such as Iris Johansson's Eve Duncan novels.) Even as I zipped through this in a couple of hours, I couldn't believe that I was actually reading this. The "paranormal" aspect minimal and the "romance" aspect was like a parody of a Gothic novel. Don't bother.
LiteraryLover
Amanda Quick books are usually a big hit or miss with me and this was weird because it was somewhere in the middle. I thought the premise of this was interesting and I liked the opening chapters. But as I read it I realized that I just wasn't getting sucked into it as much as I'd hoped. I put the book down and just didn't feel compelled to pick it up again.
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Second Sight (2006) Arcane 1 1 4 Sep 27, 2012 10:33AM
  • White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)
  • Midnight Crystal (Harmony #7; Arcane Society #9; Dreamlight Trilogy #3)
Pseudonym of Jayne Ann Krentz

She earned a B.A. in History from the Uni...more
More about Amanda Quick...
Ravished The Paid Companion Dangerous Mistress Deception

“There was nothing like having a dead husband return from the grave to ruin a fine spring morning.” 52 likes
“I am crushed by your poor opinion
But will endeavor to carry on.”
19 likes