Start by marking “The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder” as Want to Read:

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  940 ratings  ·  62 reviews
The revised and updated edition of a groundbreaking special-needs activity guide

This revised edition of the companion volume to The Out-of-Sync Child includes new activities that parents of kids with Sensory Processing Disorder can do at home with their child, along with updated information on which activities are most appropriate for children with coexisting conditions
Paperback, Revised Edition, 352 pages
Published August 1st 2006 by Perigee Books (first published January 7th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun

Marilu
I read this right after reading The Out of Sync Child. There are a lot of great ideas in this book. I love that the activities are great for all children, but it also helps you figure out which activities would be best for children that crave certain types of input, as well as activities to help an " avoider" with some of their triggers. I HIGHLY recommend this one!
Elizabeth Allen
We are new to understanding Witt's Sensory Processing Disorder. The activities in this book are excellent therapy and they are really fun. Glad to have this in time for summer - it will keep us busy.
Lesli
This book was referred to me when it became painfully clear yet another one of my children has sensory processing disorder. I read the first book, and this is a good follow up. It is easier to read and scan. I don't always agree with Kranowitz opinions, but the book does have a lot of ideas. Some seemed painfully obvious to me, but then again I think my kids are a little more free play in the backyard then a lot of modern kids.
It was organized in a clear way, and had good some good suggestions.
Leslie
Oct 25, 2009 Leslie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Autistism spectrum, Asperger, sensory impaired
This one was infinitely more useful than the first book, The OUt of Sync Child. This one is a collection of games, activities and exercises to address sensory processing challenges. I keep checking it out from the library, better just buy myself one so I can highlight and dogear away. This is a very useful book. I wish I had it when I was still doing pediatric home health. (Retired young) The exercises are almost all possible with stuff you have at home but are not silly or ineffective just 'cos ...more
Missy Rose
Full of practical activities that would be fun for any child, not just one with sensory processing issues.
I've already incorporated a couple of the activities into our daily routine, just as I was reading the book.
Heather
Great resource book. I have found that kids of all sorts seek out so many sensory activities naturally. Most of the activities in this book are things my children seek out & do naturally. I like the format of this book in that it is simple & laid out in an easy checklist format and explains what is necessary to know & doesn't have too much extra fluff & stories you don't want to sort through. I also like how different sensory needs are listed out for sensory seekers vs. avoiders, ...more
Wonderishmama
This is the book that I've been looking for since my son was diagnosed with SPD. There are a ton of practical games and activities that can easily be done at home with minimal expenditure. The activities are broken down by sensory area so you can tailor them to the needs of your kid on any given day. I strongly recommend this book to any kid with sensory issues or any high energy kid.
Rachel Conley-Pratt
This book was very helpful when my son first started OT. The ideas are simple, fun, and most involve things you already have at home.
Lisa Burke-palmer
Jillinda
Most people wouldn’t have any reason to read this book. Although this book is directed to those that have children with sensory issues it has some fun, cheap ideas at keeping your children entertained. One of my favorite was making a plastic bag kite. Use crepe paper and staple it to the bottom of the plastic grocery sack, then use a string to tie the handles together. Make the string long enough that the child can use it to hold their kite with as they run and the wind does the rest. It is so w ...more
Patty
When my son was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder, I found the lack of information overwhelming, especially on topics such as ways to help my son to better cope with day-to-day activities that were stressful to him. This book gave me hundreds of activities that I could incorporate into my son's daily activities, providing better ways of coping... activities that were a great way to counteract the effects of SPD. Some of the most beneficial and helpful information on helping my son to be ...more
Kelly
This book is well organized by sensory deficits, and related activities. The checklists are very helpful, as they are in the first book. This gives me a lot of ideas for our home program. I gave it four stars because I found the music and word play ideas outdated and intimidating. It also includes many activities with peanuts, which I find dangerous especially since many children with SPD, autism, and ADHD have food allergies.
Carrie
My boss lent me this book to help with one of the kids I was working with. I found the book to be helpful. It makes sense that in a world of video games and virtual reality, children do not have comfort/control with their own bodies. However, it seemed like every activity needed more and different stuff that I did not have. I even looked in the appendix and could not figure out where I was supposed to get some of the items.
Jodi Vedra
This book is full of wonderful, practical ideas to do with your child! I would recommend it to any parent of a child diagnosed with sensory processing disorder. Actually, all children would enjoy and benefit from many of these activities.
Jenny
So far LOVING this book and I know it will be a great resource for us. I think it would be a fabulous resource for people just wanting variety in their family activities. It so far reminds me a lot of "The Toddler Busy Book" as far as accessibility with activities. I'm already aching to try a few of them with Lucy because I know she will love them. I feel like I'm getting glasses for a child who couldn't see.
Heather
Found this book to be much more useful than the other Out of Sync Child book. This book lists activities to try with children. I was amazed at how most of these activities are activities my children naturally seek out anyways. There were a lot more additional ideas than I have seen in a lot of online lists, etc. I like the simplicity of the list nature of this book and how things are broken down.
Hallelujah! Some ideas for something I can actually DO to help my child cope. I am looking forward to reading "The Out of Sync Child" as well. I think I will have to buy this one. It has great activities in it that anyone can do with kids from both ends of the spectrum and includes info on Sensory Integration as well. A helpful first read on SI for me in my fact finding mission.
Page
I checked this out of the library, but will be buying a copy for myself. This book has so much great information and so many wonderful ideas that I know I will get a lot of use out of it. With winter coming up, I plan to do many of the indoor activities with my sons. Even though one of them does not have sensory processing disorder, I know he will benefit just as much as his brother.
Heidi
Wonderful for helping me better understand my kids with sensory issues and to see how all of us have different areas that we may be more sensitive in... this is the "workbook" to give you great ideas for sensory activities that you can do at home, we use it for our OT therapy. It's fun for all kids, though!
Amber
If I could give this book 100 stars, I would! Although activities are designed by occupational therapists for kids with sensory processing disorder (delightfully interesting for me, as I hope work in that field one day), this book has wonderful activity ideas for anyone who has kids or who works with kids.
Kelly
Separated into chapter by Sensory type. Includes a great chart that allows you to find activities based on a sensory need. Lots of common sense games that we already play - but also lots of new ideas. It was handy for me to be able to search on my son's sensory needs and find a list of quick thing to do.
Debbie
Oct 22, 2007 Debbie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone who has a child, typical or not!
Shelves: parenting
This is not just for parents of kids with special needs. You won't believe how many great, homemade activities you'll learn about in this book. You could give this book a new title geared toward neurologically typical kids with the same exact content and parents would buy it up like hotcakes...I swear!
Gayle
This awesome books gives lots of good activities for helping your child. It's broken down into categories of SPD (sensory processing disorder). I am forever grateful and thankful to Carol Stock Kranowitz for her work, her research and her book. THANK YOU!!!
Cynthia K
Lots of great sensory ideas. A mixture of activities that take quite a bit of prep to ones that can be quickly done with things many people already have in the house. Each activity can be varied or adjusted depending on the needs of each child.
Jeanie
An excellent resource for parents who are searching for activities for their children with sensory challenges. My son is autistic, but he also has SPD, so I found many of the ideas in this book to be very helpful.
Laurie
great resource book for all parents/educators/anyone working with kids; even if your child is typically progressing, this book has tons of fun, easy to set up activities. I wish I'd had this when my kids were young.
Rachael
this is great for everyone! Lots of hands on activities for kids of all ages and developmental levels. It really makes the "how-to" of raising a child with sensory processing disorder so much easier.
Ellenjsmellen
I read this one to see if it applied to someone I knew and luckily it didn't. Written pretty clearly for people looking to identify if their child suffers from this. Much more useful updated version.
Lindsay
Great activity book. Not just for kids w/ sensory disorders though. You can use w/ typically developing kids or kids w/ delays or various other special needs- great book and resource.
Lindsay
GREAT for both parents of children with sensory issues as well as teachers. Contains many activities that could be used with any children with great success.
  • Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with SensoryIntegration Issues
  • Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child's Life
  • Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew
  • Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World
  • I Love You Rituals
  • Engaging Autism: Helping Children Relate, Communicate and Think with the DIR Floortime Approach (A Merloyd Lawrence Book)
  • Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals
  • The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children
  • Sensory Integration and the Child: 25th Anniversary Edition
  • The Elephant in the Playroom: Ordinary Parents Write Intimately and Honestly About the Extraordinary Highs and Heartbreaking Lows of Raising Kids with Special Needs
  • The Sensory-Sensitive Child: Practical Solutions for Out-of-Bounds Behavior
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism, First Edition: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • Freaks, Geeks & Asperger Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence
  • The New Social Story Book: Over 150 Social Stories that Teach Everyday Social Skills to Children with Autism or Asperger's Syndrome, and Their Peers
  • What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About(TM) Children's Vaccinations
  • Attaching in Adoption: Practical Tools for Today's Parents
  • Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, and Energetic
The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder 101 Activities for Kids in Tight Spaces: At the Doctor's Office, on Car, Train, and Plane Trips, Home Sick in Bed . . . The Goodenoughs Get in Sync: A Story for Kids about the Tough Day When Filibuster Grabbed Darwin's Rabbit's Foot and the Whole Family Ended Up in the ... Introduction to Sensory Processing Disorder Preschool Sense Forms Packet Preschool Sensory Scan for Educators (Preschool Sense): A Collaborative Tool for Occupational Therapists and Early Childhood Teachers