Start by marking “The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder” as Want to Read:

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,031 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
The revised and updated edition of a groundbreaking special-needs activity guide

This revised edition of the companion volume to The Out-of-Sync Child includes new activities that parents of kids with Sensory Processing Disorder can do at home with their child, along with updated information on which activities are most appropriate for children with coexisting conditions
Paperback, Revised Edition, 352 pages
Published August 1st 2006 by TarcherPerigee (first published January 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun

Marilu
Jul 13, 2012 Marilu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting
I read this right after reading The Out of Sync Child. There are a lot of great ideas in this book. I love that the activities are great for all children, but it also helps you figure out which activities would be best for children that crave certain types of input, as well as activities to help an " avoider" with some of their triggers. I HIGHLY recommend this one!
Elizabeth Allen
Aug 13, 2012 Elizabeth Allen rated it it was amazing
We are new to understanding Witt's Sensory Processing Disorder. The activities in this book are excellent therapy and they are really fun. Glad to have this in time for summer - it will keep us busy.
Lesli
Jun 22, 2015 Lesli rated it really liked it
This book was referred to me when it became painfully clear yet another one of my children has sensory processing disorder. I read the first book, and this is a good follow up. It is easier to read and scan. I don't always agree with Kranowitz opinions, but the book does have a lot of ideas. Some seemed painfully obvious to me, but then again I think my kids are a little more free play in the backyard then a lot of modern kids.
It was organized in a clear way, and had good some good suggestions.
Leslie
Oct 25, 2009 Leslie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Autistism spectrum, Asperger, sensory impaired
This one was infinitely more useful than the first book, The OUt of Sync Child. This one is a collection of games, activities and exercises to address sensory processing challenges. I keep checking it out from the library, better just buy myself one so I can highlight and dogear away. This is a very useful book. I wish I had it when I was still doing pediatric home health. (Retired young) The exercises are almost all possible with stuff you have at home but are not silly or ineffective just 'cos ...more
Missy Rose
Feb 16, 2015 Missy Rose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full of practical activities that would be fun for any child, not just one with sensory processing issues.
I've already incorporated a couple of the activities into our daily routine, just as I was reading the book.
Heather
Apr 04, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing
Great resource book. I have found that kids of all sorts seek out so many sensory activities naturally. Most of the activities in this book are things my children seek out & do naturally. I like the format of this book in that it is simple & laid out in an easy checklist format and explains what is necessary to know & doesn't have too much extra fluff & stories you don't want to sort through. I also like how different sensory needs are listed out for sensory seekers vs. avoiders, ...more
Wonderishmama
Mar 05, 2015 Wonderishmama rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sensory, parenting
This is the book that I've been looking for since my son was diagnosed with SPD. There are a ton of practical games and activities that can easily be done at home with minimal expenditure. The activities are broken down by sensory area so you can tailor them to the needs of your kid on any given day. I strongly recommend this book to any kid with sensory issues or any high energy kid.
Rachel Conley-Pratt
Jan 10, 2015 Rachel Conley-Pratt rated it really liked it
This book was very helpful when my son first started OT. The ideas are simple, fun, and most involve things you already have at home.
Fishface
Feb 01, 2016 Fishface rated it really liked it
Shelves: mental-health, how-to
This was OK, but not as good as EARLY INTERVENTION GAMES. SA lot of the equipment you need is kind of complicated to organize and there is not a lot of clarity on what you are addressing behaviorally with each game. Still, it will be useful for many people.
Lisa Burke-palmer
Nov 29, 2014 Lisa Burke-palmer rated it it was amazing
Jillinda
Mar 30, 2009 Jillinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most people wouldn’t have any reason to read this book. Although this book is directed to those that have children with sensory issues it has some fun, cheap ideas at keeping your children entertained. One of my favorite was making a plastic bag kite. Use crepe paper and staple it to the bottom of the plastic grocery sack, then use a string to tie the handles together. Make the string long enough that the child can use it to hold their kite with as they run and the wind does the rest. It is so w ...more
Patty
Aug 19, 2008 Patty rated it it was amazing
When my son was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder, I found the lack of information overwhelming, especially on topics such as ways to help my son to better cope with day-to-day activities that were stressful to him. This book gave me hundreds of activities that I could incorporate into my son's daily activities, providing better ways of coping... activities that were a great way to counteract the effects of SPD. Some of the most beneficial and helpful information on helping my son to be ...more
Sunil
Sep 07, 2015 Sunil added it
csacvcxv cv vdcfdscdsb dvdsvfdvbf
Kelly
Apr 18, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
This book is well organized by sensory deficits, and related activities. The checklists are very helpful, as they are in the first book. This gives me a lot of ideas for our home program. I gave it four stars because I found the music and word play ideas outdated and intimidating. It also includes many activities with peanuts, which I find dangerous especially since many children with SPD, autism, and ADHD have food allergies.
Carrie
May 27, 2012 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: counseling, parenting
My boss lent me this book to help with one of the kids I was working with. I found the book to be helpful. It makes sense that in a world of video games and virtual reality, children do not have comfort/control with their own bodies. However, it seemed like every activity needed more and different stuff that I did not have. I even looked in the appendix and could not figure out where I was supposed to get some of the items.
Jodi Vedra
May 19, 2014 Jodi Vedra rated it it was amazing
This book is full of wonderful, practical ideas to do with your child! I would recommend it to any parent of a child diagnosed with sensory processing disorder. Actually, all children would enjoy and benefit from many of these activities.
Jenny
So far LOVING this book and I know it will be a great resource for us. I think it would be a fabulous resource for people just wanting variety in their family activities. It so far reminds me a lot of "The Toddler Busy Book" as far as accessibility with activities. I'm already aching to try a few of them with Lucy because I know she will love them. I feel like I'm getting glasses for a child who couldn't see.
Heather
Apr 13, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this book to be much more useful than the other Out of Sync Child book. This book lists activities to try with children. I was amazed at how most of these activities are activities my children naturally seek out anyways. There were a lot more additional ideas than I have seen in a lot of online lists, etc. I like the simplicity of the list nature of this book and how things are broken down.
Jun 19, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Hallelujah! Some ideas for something I can actually DO to help my child cope. I am looking forward to reading "The Out of Sync Child" as well. I think I will have to buy this one. It has great activities in it that anyone can do with kids from both ends of the spectrum and includes info on Sensory Integration as well. A helpful first read on SI for me in my fact finding mission.
Page
Sep 23, 2008 Page rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pages-books
I checked this out of the library, but will be buying a copy for myself. This book has so much great information and so many wonderful ideas that I know I will get a lot of use out of it. With winter coming up, I plan to do many of the indoor activities with my sons. Even though one of them does not have sensory processing disorder, I know he will benefit just as much as his brother.
Heidi
Mar 08, 2009 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Wonderful for helping me better understand my kids with sensory issues and to see how all of us have different areas that we may be more sensitive in... this is the "workbook" to give you great ideas for sensory activities that you can do at home, we use it for our OT therapy. It's fun for all kids, though!
Amber
May 11, 2012 Amber rated it it was amazing
If I could give this book 100 stars, I would! Although activities are designed by occupational therapists for kids with sensory processing disorder (delightfully interesting for me, as I hope work in that field one day), this book has wonderful activity ideas for anyone who has kids or who works with kids.
Kelly
Jun 29, 2008 Kelly rated it liked it
Separated into chapter by Sensory type. Includes a great chart that allows you to find activities based on a sensory need. Lots of common sense games that we already play - but also lots of new ideas. It was handy for me to be able to search on my son's sensory needs and find a list of quick thing to do.
Debbie
Oct 22, 2007 Debbie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone who has a child, typical or not!
Shelves: parenting
This is not just for parents of kids with special needs. You won't believe how many great, homemade activities you'll learn about in this book. You could give this book a new title geared toward neurologically typical kids with the same exact content and parents would buy it up like hotcakes...I swear!
Gayle
May 30, 2011 Gayle rated it it was amazing
This awesome books gives lots of good activities for helping your child. It's broken down into categories of SPD (sensory processing disorder). I am forever grateful and thankful to Carol Stock Kranowitz for her work, her research and her book. THANK YOU!!!
Cynthia K
May 20, 2012 Cynthia K rated it liked it
Lots of great sensory ideas. A mixture of activities that take quite a bit of prep to ones that can be quickly done with things many people already have in the house. Each activity can be varied or adjusted depending on the needs of each child.
Jeanie
Jun 16, 2011 Jeanie rated it really liked it
An excellent resource for parents who are searching for activities for their children with sensory challenges. My son is autistic, but he also has SPD, so I found many of the ideas in this book to be very helpful.
Laurie
May 31, 2010 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
great resource book for all parents/educators/anyone working with kids; even if your child is typically progressing, this book has tons of fun, easy to set up activities. I wish I'd had this when my kids were young.
Rachael
Jul 18, 2008 Rachael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: special-needs
this is great for everyone! Lots of hands on activities for kids of all ages and developmental levels. It really makes the "how-to" of raising a child with sensory processing disorder so much easier.
Ellenjsmellen
Jan 19, 2008 Ellenjsmellen rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
I read this one to see if it applied to someone I knew and luckily it didn't. Written pretty clearly for people looking to identify if their child suffers from this. Much more useful updated version.
  • Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with SensoryIntegration Issues
  • Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Overcoming Autism: Finding the Answers, Strategies, and Hope That Can Transform a Child's Life
  • Ten Things Every Child with Autism Wishes You Knew
  • Too Loud, Too Bright, Too Fast, Too Tight: What to Do If You Are Sensory Defensive in an Overstimulating World
  • I Love You Rituals
  • Engaging Autism: Helping Children Relate, Communicate and Think with the DIR Floortime Approach (A Merloyd Lawrence Book)
  • 101 Games and Activities for Children with Autism, Asperger's and Sensory Processing Disorders
  • Positive Discipline for Preschoolers: For Their Early Years - Raising Children Who Are Responsible, Respectful, and Resourceful (Revised 2nd Ed)
  • The Elephant in the Playroom: Ordinary Parents Write Intimately and Honestly About the Extraordinary Highs and Heartbreaking Lows of Raising Kids with Special Needs
  • A Parent's Guide to Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism, First Edition: How to Meet the Challenges and Help Your Child Thrive
  • Asperger's Syndrome: A Guide for Parents and Professionals
  • Freaks, Geeks and Asperger Syndrome: A User Guide to Adolescence
  • The Sensory-Sensitive Child: Practical Solutions for Out-of-Bounds Behavior
  • The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children
  • Sensory Integration and the Child: 25th Anniversary Edition