Start by marking “The Pregnancy Bible: Your Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Early Parenthood” as Want to Read:
The Pregnancy Bible: Your Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Early Parenthood

The Pregnancy Bible: Your Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Early Parenthood

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  58 reviews
"An authoritative and up-to-date reference."

The Pregnancy Bible combines the knowledge and experience of medical specialists and family doctors -- all under the direction of practicing and widely published obstetricians.

It follows the complete sequence of fetal development "in utero" week by week. Each step is illustrated with full color photography -- many of which are li
Published September 6th 2003 by Firefly Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Pregnancy Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pregnancy Bible

rachel
My feelings about this book are mixed. On one hand, it includes amazing ultrasound photos of fetuses and images of naked pregnant women (always good to see that my body is no more distorted than any other knocked up lady's). On the other hand, I found the information to be very, very basic. I don't think I learned anything from reading it.
Jennifer Rook
This book is awesome collection of information from beginning to end. My cousin gave it to me when I was pregnant with my daughter & I absolutely loved it.
Nicole Lovejoy
I loved this book while i was pregnant. It has tons of pictures and explains really well what is going on week by week.
Amanda Port
I like this much better than "What to Expect..." and "Your Pregnancy Week by Week"

Ronnie
I thought this book was extremely informative, helpful, and user-friendly. My main complaint with "What to Expect When You're Expecting" is that it is organized according to months, with not much progression or additional information from week to week, or month to month. I felt like "What to Expect" is organized on a "need to know" basis, which turns me off. "The Pregnancy Bible," on the other hand, is organized according to pregnancy subject; for example, an overviews of each week to week chang ...more
Christina
With Isobel, I read Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy. It was adequate, I suppose, but The Pregnancy Bible is much better.
There's just more information here, including a beautiful photo of the baby in utero for every week of pregnancy. Even though I've experienced it all before, I liked that there was more lifestyle info in this book, and it still also had at least as much medical information as Mayo Clinic. My only complaint is the counter-intuitive way the book is organized. Here I am,
Chris
Three-sentence review:

Akin to the myriad of other pregnancy and newborn care books, The Pregnancy Bible takes a step-by-step look at pregnancy, birth, and infant care from a view of not only informing the reader, but educating them in practical matters. Plus, there are plenty of pictures to go along with, both cartoons, and several cringe-inducing (at least, for a guy) photographs of actual, uh, "events." I have read quite a few of these preganancy books as a soon-to-be-dad, and I found this one
Esther May
This is by far one of the best pregnancy books that I have ever read. It is written in a real, straight forward style that I can appreciate. It even has little excerpts in it that refer to twins, which is helpful to me.
Kathryn
I really liked the week by week info about my baby's development and my pregnancy. The rest of the book was fine, but nothing I referenced again and again.
Rachel McCready-Flora
The Pregnancy Bible is a nice supplement to The Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy. The two books have a lot of overlapping information, while The Pregnancy Bible isn't nearly as thorough, it isn't nearly as dry and is overall a more interesting read. It has lots of great pictures, including weekly pictures (actual pictures!) of a developing baby, and tasteful pictures of a nude woman as she progresses through her pregnancy. This book has lots of good extras too - sections on dealing with ...more
Leena Ganesh
I love this book. It's graphical and colorful and has just the right amount of information to get you thru your pregnancy. I only bought 2 books for my pregnancy reading and this was one of it. If I'm interested in certain topic I'll just Google about it and I'll get more in depth info. It's the book to get if you're looking for something that covers everything that you should know about getting pregnant, being pregnant and becoming a parent. The book doesn't cover in depth info on all topics. Y ...more
Talia
An excellent resource for the parent-to-be, full of practical advice, detailed information on all stages of pregnancy from conception to birth, and even tips on how to wash and care for baby in the early weeks of life.
I have gone to it constantly throughout my pregnancy so far and have always been able to find the info I need.
I have especially enjoyed the week-by-week updates on both what is happening to your body as well as what is going on with baby.

I would recommend this for anyone who is try
Suzi
This is my all time favorite book so far on being pregnant, and what to expect. The book is filled with colored pages and lots of pictures. I love the break down week by week that shows how the baby is developing and what the mother's body is going through. It covers MANY topics!! It even has a section for fathers so they know how to get involved and how to help during labor. I give this book an A+++!! A 'should read' for other expectant mothers!
Susiane
This is another book that I inherited from my sister in law. She liked this book better than what to expect when youre expecting. Its definitely a wealth of info. Like reading an encyclopedia really, but a really interesting encyclopedia. We look at this book every week and check to see how big our baby is growing. We both love all the facts and information. Its a heavy book and we keep on our dresser next to our bed. Its a good one!
Tabetha
A friend passed this book onto me when she found out I was pregnant. I really enjoyed the week by week development of the baby, as well as week by week development of the mother.

The book also gave a great amount of unbiased information on everything pregnancy related, which I found extremely useful. This was a solid book that I could count on, then ask my doctor for more information about anything I wanted to.
Jenedypaige
This is a great first time mom book. It walks you through all the things that will be happening to your body and your baby's body, week by week. It's been really fun to track my pregnancy by it and turn to the week I'm on to see what's going on inside me. It has all kinds of great tips and what to expect with labor, delivery, nursing, bathing, changing, and just taking care of your newborn in general. It's been quite handy!
Marti Mattox
A good basic book but it is that - basic. Nice development pictures and good overview. Then you can back it up with the Mao clinic book. I have so many preg books to dig through - and all I want to read is fiction.
Funny all the animals seems to sense something - the cats want to sleep on top of my stomach (even Nicks cat Frankie) and Beatrice has gotten uber protective.
✿ ♥  Heather ♥ ✿
A friend of mine lent me this book and kept asking me if I'd read it yet... I thought it would be like the others... but it wasn't. Very informative, great pictures, very detailed about the smallest of things... like how to wash bub, how to put on a nappy... what will be sore.. what to expect following labour etc...I'll probably re-read parts as I get closer
Amy
I LOVED this book. I don’t think there’s a single topic left uncovered in this one. There are fantastic pictures throughout (minus the gross ones, haha), and the index is easy to follow. The entire book is easy to understand and makes sense. I finished it feeling like I actually know what I’m in for. Definitely the best pregnancy book I’ve ever read.)
Mari
Jul 10, 2010 Mari rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Rhea
This book has week by week information on baby development as well as week by week information as to what is happening with the mothers body. It has a good index and many photos, so it is very user friendly. AND it is the only pregnancy book that has been able to keep future dads attention! He looks forward to reading the weekly updates. :)
Justine
My go-to book whenever I'm pregnant. I loved it more than What to Expect. In-depth, real pictures of the baby, your body, aches, pains, nutrition, even sex with your partner and how to still have a lovelife with a growing baby in your belly. I've lent and bought this book for many friends as a 'mommy-to-be' gift. Highly recommend it.
Melissa
This book is a great alternative to "What to Expect When Your Expecting." It provided me with all I needed to know and served as a great refrence. I really liked the color pictures, time lines and book organization - it allows you to skip parts about what could go wrong that tend to freak out pregnant women.
Charity
My favorite pregnancy book. Great detail in how to cope with the various pregnancy ailments. My favorite part, though, is the week by week pictures and milestones of baby's growth and the expected changes in my body during that time frame also. Not currently pregnant, but it is my go-to book for expectant friends.
Katlet
Pretty decent information. Includes pieces on natural and home as well as hospital and birth with medication. Basic information about pregnancy, birth and early newborn life. Would be good for someone expecting their first. (Included stuff about changing, dressing and bathing the newborn.)
Lena
The first pregnancy book I read. A decent amount of information, and there's a lot of pretty explicit but also pretty neat illustrations. A good one to flip through if you don't actually want to exert much brainpower but want the weekly fix of seeing how your fetus is developing.
Heather
I didn't read this cover to cover by any means, but it was quite helpful getting a feel for the whole process of pregnancy. I highly recommend it because it has color pictures and has a slightly better layout than the more common "what to expect when you're expecting"
Bethany Zimp
Nothing that can't be found in other books, but a nice layout and good pictures/directions for stretches and exercises.
Betsy
This book touches on everything and is very concise, which is great. However, it is not quite as in depth as What to Expect When You're Expecting so if you're going to buy just one book, I would get What to Expect.
Dyah
bagus. lumayan lengkap infonya. gambar dan fotonya sangat informatif, kadang terlalu informatif [misalnya foto posisi 'nganu' saat hamil besar]. sok atuh ibu-ibu hamil silakan dibaca bukunya.
Staci
Very detailed index. I could always find what I needed quickly. My favorite is the photos of the developing fetus and the mother's body.
Gives facts, not author's opinions.
  • Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on Baby Furinture, Equipment, Clothes, Toys, Maternity Wear and Much, Much More!
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • The No-Cry Nap Solution: Guaranteed Gentle Ways to Solve All Your Naptime Problems
  • The Baby Name Wizard: A Magical Method for Finding the Perfect Name for Your Baby
  • Great Expectations: Your All-In-One Resource for Pregnancy & Childbirth
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • Your Pregnancy Week by Week
  • The 90-Minute Baby Sleep Program
  • Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth
  • Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn, Revised and Updated: The Complete Guide
  • Bright From the Start: The Simple, Science-Backed Way to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind from Birth to Age 3
  • The Mother of all Pregnancy Books
  • The Sleepeasy Solution: The Exhausted Parent's Guide to Getting Your Child to Sleep from Birth to Age 5
  • The Complete Book of Pregnancy & Childbirth
  • The Pregnancy Book: A Month-By-Month Guide Tag: Everythg. You Need to Know from America'S..
  • The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance
  • Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers
  • Baby-led Weaning: Helping Your Baby to Love Good Food
Pregnancy for Dummies Pregnancy For Dummies The New Pregnancy Bible: The Experts' Guide to Pregnancy and Early Parenthood My Pregnancy & Baby: Your Guide to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy and the Care of a Baby Up to Three Years of Age Your Second Pregnancy