Start by marking “Guess What I Found in Dragon Wood” as Want to Read:
Guess What I Found in Dragon Wood

Guess What I Found in Dragon Wood

Here's a wonderful twist on the familiar theme of "boy meets dragon." This time, it's not the boy who finds a dragon-it's the dragon who's found the boy. "It's called a Benjamin," the dragon drolly explains to his family. The Benjamin is a true novelty (no wings, no tail, no fire-breath!), and all of the dragons gather round to examine the strange creature, right down to h ...more
Published December 26th 2007 by Bloomsbury USA Children's Books (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Guess What I Found in Dragon Wood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guess What I Found in Dragon Wood

Manybooks
Apr 03, 2012 Manybooks rated it liked it
Recommends it for: young children interested in sweet and humorous tales of dragons
A cute inversion of the "human meets dragon" type of tale, in Guess What I Found in Dragon Wood (written by Timothy Knapman, with illustrations by Gwen Millward), it is not a little boy who finds a dragon, but a dragon who finds a little lost boy (a Benjamin) in the Dragon Wood and takes him (or it, at first) home to meet his family, friends and acquaintances (all of which are dragons, of course).

This lively and engaging story is not only sweet, with many humorous little touches (like how the d
Kathryn
Apr 26, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it
Cute story with a "twist" Looking at the cover, you probably think the little boy found a dragon, right? I certainly thought that, especially since the illustrator did the illustrations for a book about little girls finding a magical creature (the fabulous The Bog Baby) but, no, it's a little dragon who finds "a Benjamin" in the woods and brings him home to play. When the Benjamin gets homesick, though, what will little dragon do? This is a fun little story but the novelty wasn't quite there sin ...more
Lisa Vegan
Apr 10, 2012 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it
Oh, I just loved this. the dragon was so cute I wanted to squeeze hug it. Benjamin too. All the dragons. Adorable!

So, there is a twist to this book that reminded me of (view spoiler) but while in that book there is a surprise twist ending, here the twist is revealed right at the beginning of the story. I did know the twist before reading, as several of my Goodreads’ friends have already read and reviewed this book. Well, and it’s also mentioned i
David
Guess What I Found in Dragon Wood by Timothy Knapman illustrated by Gwen Millward, is about a little dragon who finds "a Benjamin" in the woods and brings him home to play. When the Benjamin gets homesick, though, what will little dragon do?

Millward's colorful illustrations were created with watercolor and pencil. My favorite images include Benjamin found, strange things about Benjamin's, soccer, funny way of saying Hello, and last illustration.

Writing this story with from the point of view of a
Crystal Marcos
Apr 05, 2012 Crystal Marcos rated it really liked it
Guess What I Found in Dragon Wood is a clever story. It took me a moment as I was distracted by my toddler while reading and laughed when I realized it wasn't the dragon that was found in the woods but rather a boy named Benjamin. It was a fun read out loud book. We enjoyed the illustrations and it kept my little ones attention. It was amusing to see the view of the dragon and his conclusions of the little boy. Children will relate as the dragons do many things that children do like going to sch ...more
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Apr 18, 2012 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A young dragon finds something unusual…a Benjamin. He takes it home to his parents and even brings him to school the next day. All the dragons are amazed at how different this Benjamin is. He does not have scales, sharp claws, wings, or breathe fire but he does know how to play soccer and he teaches all the dragons how to play too. After a fun day, the dragon learns that the Benjamin leaks water from its eyes when he is homesick. The dragon makes the journey to Benjamin’s world, where he is gree ...more
Tasha
May 29, 2008 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Told from the point of view of the dragon, this is the story of finding a boy in the woods and trying to figure out what to do with him. It doesn't seem to be hungry for fish and worms. They aren't sure if he can sleep in a bed. And instead of breathing fire, he leaks water out of his eyes! When the boy begins to describe his own magical land, the dragon is amazed. The boy teaches the dragons soccer and then finally is returned home where the dragon is met with less than a warm welcome.

The text
Dolly
Apr 06, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a funny story about a dragon who finds a boy and brings him home. It's a humorous juxtaposition of a child being treated like a stray animal, alien or pet. The narrative is humorous and the illustrations are colorful and cartoonish. We really enjoyed reading this story together and we have read it a couple of times.

This story was selected as one of the books for the April 2012 - Mystical/Magical Creatures reads at the Picture-Book Club in the Children's Books Group here at Goodreads.
Mari
Feb 01, 2012 Mari rated it really liked it
Silly and fun. Our library does an after-school program for kids in grades 1-6 (though I ususally don't get many 5th or 6th graders), so I'm always on the lookout for picture books to read that the kids won't think are too "baby-ish." This one fit the bill. The kids enjoyed the fact that they didn't know ahead of time that the book was going to be from the dragon's point of view. There were lots of giggles, even from the older kids.
N_patricia Brunner
Oct 16, 2010 N_patricia Brunner rated it really liked it
Heidi-Marie
I love it! I didn't know what this would be about and I thought going in that it would be the boy finding a dragon. So the twist of the POV was fabulous and I loved seeing "the Benjamin" be the curious creature of the book's world. Loved the pictures (especially with all of the labeling). I really enjoyed the ending and the dragon describing the Benjamin's world. It would be fun to try this on a preschool, but I'm not sure how they would take it. Would they get all of the humor? Some yes, but al ...more
Marathon County Public Library MCPL

This children's story poses somewhat of a twist. A dragon finds a pet, a young boy. Benjamin, the boy, is quite the interesting creature, ever so different than a dragon. He can't fly and is such an unusual specimen. But even the best of friends can get homesick and need to go back home. It's a wonderful story for the young at heart.

Pam S. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.
Sarah Souther
Jun 11, 2014 Sarah Souther rated it it was amazing
A young dragon finds a Benjamin in the woods and takes him home. He and his family feed the Benjamin and he takes him to school. They have fun, but the Benjamin doesn't quite seem happy.

Kids will enjoy feeling a bit superior to the dragon since they know what a Benjamin is. Silly without trying too hard, sweet without being cloying.
Angie
Jan 08, 2008 Angie rated it it was amazing
This book is sooo cute!! A young dragon finds a little boy named Benjamin in the forest. He takes him home and the dragons learn all about "Benjamins" The text is full of clever humor and the illustrations are whimsical. I love Benjamin's rain boots! It would be great for early elementary kids.
Sue
A cute book with a plot inversion that will appeal to a child's sense of humor. Plus gives a good reminder of an important rule if you're a dragon learning to play soccer: "You're not supposed to burn down the goalposts."
Kati
Sep 29, 2009 Kati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"You'll never guess what I found the other day ..." turns out the dragon is talking, not the little boy. Yes, the dragon has found a little boy and he spends the book learning about how humans are different from dragons.
Jen
Apr 08, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb, storytime, silly
This would be fun for a storytime. The dragon finds a human and interacts with him by taking him to school and such. cute pictures. Gives kids an introduction to seeing things from a different perspective.
Susan
This was a cute story about a dragon who finds a boy and takes him home as a pet. When the boy becomes sad, the dragon goes back to the boy's world for a visit. There is a lot of misunderstanding about human world that is really humorous. Cute pictures as well that tell a lot of the story.
Kyla
Mar 19, 2012 Kyla rated it liked it
Shelves: t-l-306
I really liked the color and images in this book. It would be a good read for a third grade classroom. It talks about dragons, and how they are not so mean. Some dragons in this book even play soccer!
Jul 26, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: want-to-own
This was a great perspective. I love that the dinosaur was like human and the boy was like pet or dinosaur. I love that the dinosaur felt scared, but knew that seeing the humans world would be memorable.
Jen H.
Jul 13, 2008 Jen H. rated it really liked it
Cute story about a dragon who finds a "Benjamin" in the woods. Funny story that all children would like, especially boys.
Klara
Sep 23, 2008 Klara rated it it was amazing
A study of humans from the curious dragon's perspective. Really cool-looking dragons, by the way. The art is great.

I learned all about the Benjamins.
Elizabeth S
Nov 25, 2010 Elizabeth S rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-picture
Lots of fun. I'm not sure m 3-year-old understood it, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it to her.
Wendy Wayling
Jan 11, 2009 Wendy Wayling rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is an adorable picture book about a boy and a dragon. The book is enjoyable because of the surprising twist in the story!
Ambra
Sep 17, 2012 Ambra rated it really liked it
The kids loved the twist in this one.
Samantha Penrose
a dragon finds a boy and is facsinated by his habits and mannerisms...
Morgan
Aug 04, 2008 Morgan rated it liked it
cute book about a dragon finding a boy. too long for storytime.
C Wharton
Sep 24, 2014 C Wharton rated it it was amazing
All about a dragon who finds a boy in dragon wood. Gorgeous illustrations and it's a really beautiful,gentle and humorous book. Inspired my imagination with very original storyline.
Curtis Jensen
Dec 06, 2011 Curtis Jensen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindergarten
Clever.
Rachel
May 25, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
A cute, unique take on the "can I keep it?" question. Fun illustrations and funny ending. Nice cover design.
« previous 1 3 next »
Timothy Knapman has written many books for children, including Mungo and the Picture Book Pirates, Dinosaurs in the Supermarket and Eleanor's Eyebrows. He also writes plays and co-writes musicals.

Timothy Knapman is available in a range of colours, and is washable.
More about Timothy Knapman...