Start by marking “Golden Section (Wooden Books Gift Book)” as Want to Read:
Golden Section (Wooden Books Gift Book)

Golden Section (Wooden Books Gift Book)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The Golden Section—otherwise known as phi, the golden mean, or the golden ratio—is one of the most elegant and beautiful rations in the universe.

Defined as a line segment divided into two unequal parts, such that the ratio of the shorter portion to the longer portion is the same as the ratio of the longer portion to the whole, it pops up throughout nature—in water, DNA, th
Published September 22nd 2006 by Wooden Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Golden Section, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Golden Section

Jenette
If you want a book that stimulates and stretches the brain and imagination, this is one I recommend. You'll delve into what Plato and Da Vinci and others knew about the structure of nature, art, and the universe. This explains the workings of Phi in fibinacci, Lucas, pathagorean, and the indefinite dyad number patterns. The patterns of symmetry and asymmetry are discussed in everything from DNA, leaf structure, planetary orbits, insects, our body, water, music, art, architecture, and more. Howev ...more
jeremy
a slim work in the wooden books series, the golden section offers a very cursory introduction into the golden ratio, (aka the golden mean or φ, phi) - considering the fibonacci sequence on the way, as well. scott olsen traces the history of the golden ratio, as well as its preponderance throughout nature, science, art, architecture, aesthetics, music, and mathematics.

as with other books in the series, while beautifully illustrated, it is light on actual substance. jacket copy describes the gol
Sally
just requested ILL --> library bought it!

"Wow, let's do that again!" - Donkey from Shrek

Sometimes a book is much better than you thought it could be, and what a wonderful surprise. Only a math geek (like me) would call this rollicking good fun, but even the math-haters would find this lovely, beautiful and eye-opening. You see, math is simply the language of the Universe, and we're all a part of its beauty.
Sondra
Brilliant introduction to The Golden Mean, its application in architecture and discoveries in nature. A mathematician I'm not so the numbers were off-putting at first, but once I did a crude sketch or two myself I was up and running with the program. Truly an amazing phenomenon and I'm fascinated. It gave me a grasp of how minute we are in this vast universe and in the words of Monty Python, "How amazingly unlikely was our birth." Some of the illustration's corresponding reference numbers and le ...more
Devora
Scott spoke at the south central retreat of the Theosophical Society in May. Fascinating speaker. First guy who every explained Fibonacci numbers and sacred geometry in a way that made sense.
Laurie
I believe this is a great book, but I gave it three stars, because I did not understand a lot of it. As much as I love the *concept* of (sacred) geometry, I am confused with the philosophy of the geometry and arithmetic it is based on. I did, however, finally grasp the Fibonacci Sequence....finally! And for that, the read was worth it. The book is highly illustrated with classical and contemporary images of art; they are beautiful to look at, even if the reader cannot fully appreciate the sequen ...more
Liz
I discovered these books at our local science museum's gift shop, and fell in love with them. Each takes a particular mathematical idea and shows how it works, shares the story of its origins, and details the meaning it has had for various cultures through history. The illustrations (all sepia/black and white) are intricate and sufficiently well-designed to draw even a math-fearing reader in, purely for the visual enjoyment factor. I don't have copies of these... yet.
Someday.
Keli
Loved it! I love math, I love geometry, and I love nature so this book was perfect. It quickly and easily explained the golden mean's appearance in nature,the galaxy and in us.
I did have to do a little bit of research on wiki to fully understand how to compute phi before I could go on with the book, but after that it was a great read.

It totally reinforced the quote, "Mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe." by Galileo Galilei.
Andy
A small book that made me want to know more about math and its applications. I think it is designed to whet the appetite of the curious; by itself the book does not really tell you much. Each two facing pages give an overview about the golden section and its many manifestations, and I thought that was pretty damn cool.

This is a keeper, but now to find some real math books.
Adrian Magill
A short read, but a very enlightening one. This book combines mysticism and science while quoting people like Plato and Leonardo Da Vinci. It takes a little time to wrap your mind around some of the concepts sometimes, especially if, like me, math troubles you, however the information this book offers is well worth the effort.
Rebekah
The information on the Fibonacci numbers and the Golden Section was fascinating, and the Olsen's presentation was well done. I personally wish he had referenced a few more outside authors than he did, and the New Age nonsense at the end was beyond strange for a fact-book, but overall it was a decent book to look up on the subject.
Scott
The Golden Section: Nature's Greatest Secret is a nice but short book that teaches about the mystery of the Phi ratio, means, and proportion. It covers Phi in the human body and human culture and provides Phi equations, Fibonacci and Lucas formulae and many breath-taking illustrations.
Elentarri
Lovely, illustrated little book that provides a to-the-point introduction to such topics as Phi, Fibonacci Sequence, Phyllotaxis Patters, Lucas Numbers, Spirals, Harmony etc. This book is not difficult to understand despite the mathematical contents.
Steven Walker
This small book is a fascinating look at the number phi and its influence on mathematics and art. Personally I've always found the notion of a magical number intriguing, and this is about as magical as they get right up there with pi.
J.R.
It's a pretty book and starts out with simple explanations of the math. Then it goes on to find the golden ration everywhere. Even where it's not.
Jess
this 'wooden books' series is really great. big ideas, small books. i learned why Pi is one of the most elegant ratios in the universe.
Lorraine
Very interesting and well-designed little book on this topic. Great overview of other "rules" of design.
John
nonfiction,mathematics,scientific pantheism
Michael Pretzl
Michael Pretzl marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
John Van der vuurst
John Van der vuurst marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Letbish
Letbish marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
  • Sacred Geometry
  • Islamic Design: A Genius for Geometry
  • Quadrivium: The Four Classical Liberal Arts of Number, Geometry, Music, & Cosmology
  • Quadrivium: Number Geometry Music Heaven
  • Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe: The Mathematical Archetypes of Nature, Art, and Science
  • Sciencia: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Astronomy for All
  • Gamma: Exploring Euler's Constant
  • Mathematics: Its Content, Methods and Meaning
  • The Mathematical Universe: An Alphabetical Journey Through the Great Proofs, Problems, and Personalities
  • The Colossal Book of Mathematics
  • Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy
  • Divine Proportion: Phi In Art, Nature, and Science
  • The Math Book: From Pythagoras to the 57th Dimension, 250 Milestones in the History of Mathematics
  • Mathematics for the Nonmathematician (Books Explaining Science)
  • Group Theory in the Bedroom, and Other Mathematical Diversions
  • Taming the Infinite: The Story of Mathematics from the First Numbers to Chaos Theory
  • Dr Euler's Fabulous Formula: Cures Many Mathematical Ills
Professor of Philosophy & Comparative Religion at Central Florida Community College, Scott first received international acclaim by decoding the geometric mysteries of Plato. His recent book, The Golden Section: Nature's Greatest Secret has received rave reviews, and in 2007 was awarded 1st place for design by the Bookbinders' Guild of New York. A life-long student of the Ancient Wisdom, Scott ...more
More about Scott Olsen...
Wooden Books Collection #2 The Story of Pepper