Start by marking “Short Stories in Italian: New Penguin Parallel Text” as Want to Read:
Short Stories in Italian: New Penguin Parallel Text

Short Stories in Italian: New Penguin Parallel Text

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This collection includes stories by established Italian literary figures such as Italo Calvino and Primo Levi as well as a new generation of writers. Aspects of Sicilian and Italian life are explored by Leonardo Sciascia and Goffredo Parise, while Antonio Tabucchi looks at the natures of reality.
Published January 1st 2001 by Penguin Books (first published September 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Short Stories in Italian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short Stories in Italian

Danny
I tried this initially as a electronic book on the iPad, which was useless as you completely lose the parallel text, so this is one of my few recent reads that has been in a physical format.

The collection of stories is excellent with real variety and reading interest in both languages.

As a novice at Italian having this variety of registers and literary styles was tremendously useful to assist in developing a breadth of understanding of the written language outside of newspapers and websites.

Havi
Séamas
A good collection of stories, almost all extremely readable. I would single out the long final story by Antonio Tabucchi as especially good. To my taste the weakest one was the surreal 'The Island of Komodo'. I have recently read the Spanish language short-story collection in this series, and the Italian one wouldn't be as comprehensive as regards notes on the text. Also I think that a vocabulary-list at the end of these books would be of help too.
Francesca
Most of these stories were quite interesting, however nearly every single one of them ended without really explaining anything or having a real conclusion. I felt let down by the few that I enjoyed and frustrated with the rest. I know that a few of them are parts of bigger stories or linked to something else, but it was very disappointing that they were so brief and inconclusive.

My favourite short story in this collection was I pomeriggi del sabato because I felt really involved in the story and
Irena
Not all the stories were equally interesting, in my opinion, but they presented a curious variety of Italian short story. The books was worth reading if only for Italo Clavino's, Primo Levi's and Antonio Tabuchhi's stories. But the other stories were not a waste of time either. Parallel translation, even though not always perfect, was a helpful tool in studying Italian and improving the reading fluency.
Christine
Overall, a great assortment of short stories. I loved all of them, from the kafka-esque "L'isola di Komodo" to the heart-breaking "I pommeriggi del sabato". Having the English and Italian versions side by side was really helpful although tedious- I've never crawled through reading anything so slowly in my life, but it was worth it.
Reed
Lovely stories that stick with you. I read it for the English translations as well as the original Italian, so everyone can read it. All the stories put together remind me so strongly of Italy, they create such an atmosphere.
Benny
Overall, very good. Particularly "I pomeriggi del sabatao", "L'ultimo canale", and "Italia." Some deserve a reread.
Rodrigo d'Orey
Funny first story. :)
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Ieva
Ieva marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Eugenia
Eugenia marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Gabriella
Gabriella marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Gonul
Gonul marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Ellie Steele
Ellie Steele marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Jmrj21gmail.com
Jmrj21gmail.com marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Jim Verce
Jim Verce marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Emily
Emily added it
Aug 05, 2014
Jack Danaher
Jack Danaher marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Kalie Mcguire
Kalie Mcguire marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Robert
Robert added it
Jun 08, 2014
Sarah is currently reading it
Jun 06, 2014
Lisa
Lisa is currently reading it
May 21, 2014
Lee
Lee marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Raeana Connell
Raeana Connell is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2014
Pen Wonfor
Pen Wonfor marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Music Mastery - How To Succeed And Be Awesome In The Music Industry Nintendo 64 Power Pocket Guide: Unauthorized The Official Guide To Authorware 4 My Ninjas: Choosing A Martial Arts School Music Mastery Class Pack