Start by marking “Short Stories in Italian: New Penguin Parallel Text” as Want to Read:
Short Stories in Italian: New Penguin Parallel Text

Short Stories in Italian: New Penguin Parallel Text

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
This is an all new version of the popular PARALLEL TEXT series, containing eight pieces of contemporary fiction in the original Italian and in English translation. Including stories by Calvino, Benni, Sciascia and Levi, this volume gives a fascinating insight into Italian culture and literature as well as providing an invaluable educational tool.
Published January 1st 2001 by Penguin Books (first published September 30th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Short Stories in Italian, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Short Stories in Italian

Diego Fleitas
Jun 21, 2015 Diego Fleitas rated it it was amazing
Though it took me a decent while as I'm only somewhat proficient in Italian, I loved reading this from beginning to end! It allowed me the opportunity to expand my vocabulary and learn colloquial nuances while engaging with understandable texts. Translations were pretty on point, and the selection of stories themselves seemed rather nice!

As for the actual literary quality of the texts, they all had varied complexities and many differing themes. Love and suffering were common throughout most if n
Danny
Sep 11, 2011 Danny rated it really liked it
I tried this initially as a electronic book on the iPad, which was useless as you completely lose the parallel text, so this is one of my few recent reads that has been in a physical format.

The collection of stories is excellent with real variety and reading interest in both languages.

As a novice at Italian having this variety of registers and literary styles was tremendously useful to assist in developing a breadth of understanding of the written language outside of newspapers and websites.

Havi
Séamas
Jul 03, 2014 Séamas rated it really liked it
A good collection of stories, almost all extremely readable. I would single out the long final story by Antonio Tabucchi as especially good. To my taste the weakest one was the surreal 'The Island of Komodo'. I have recently read the Spanish language short-story collection in this series, and the Italian one wouldn't be as comprehensive as regards notes on the text. Also I think that a vocabulary-list at the end of these books would be of help too.
Francesca
Apr 24, 2012 Francesca rated it really liked it
Most of these stories were quite interesting, however nearly every single one of them ended without really explaining anything or having a real conclusion. I felt let down by the few that I enjoyed and frustrated with the rest. I know that a few of them are parts of bigger stories or linked to something else, but it was very disappointing that they were so brief and inconclusive.

My favourite short story in this collection was I pomeriggi del sabato because I felt really involved in the story and
Tom
Jan 22, 2016 Tom rated it really liked it
Good intermediate Italian reader.
Irena
Feb 04, 2013 Irena rated it it was amazing
Not all the stories were equally interesting, in my opinion, but they presented a curious variety of Italian short story. The books was worth reading if only for Italo Clavino's, Primo Levi's and Antonio Tabuchhi's stories. But the other stories were not a waste of time either. Parallel translation, even though not always perfect, was a helpful tool in studying Italian and improving the reading fluency.
Christine
Aug 17, 2008 Christine rated it liked it
Overall, a great assortment of short stories. I loved all of them, from the kafka-esque "L'isola di Komodo" to the heart-breaking "I pommeriggi del sabato". Having the English and Italian versions side by side was really helpful although tedious- I've never crawled through reading anything so slowly in my life, but it was worth it.
Reed
Mar 05, 2007 Reed rated it it was amazing
Lovely stories that stick with you. I read it for the English translations as well as the original Italian, so everyone can read it. All the stories put together remind me so strongly of Italy, they create such an atmosphere.
Benny
Nov 16, 2013 Benny rated it really liked it
Overall, very good. Particularly "I pomeriggi del sabatao", "L'ultimo canale", and "Italia." Some deserve a reread.
Lisa
Mar 04, 2015 Lisa rated it it was amazing
great tool for intermediate to advanced learners. As a bonus, it is actual italian literature.
Rodrigo d'Orey
Jul 03, 2014 Rodrigo d'Orey rated it it was amazing
Funny first story. :)
Yvette
Yvette marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Rebecca Novelli
Rebecca Novelli rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
Bruno
Bruno added it
Jan 31, 2016
Kari Macknight Dearborn
Kari Macknight Dearborn marked it as to-read
Dustin
Dustin marked it as to-read
Anthony DiFlorio
Anthony DiFlorio rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2016
Andrew Mcloughlin
Andrew Mcloughlin marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Peg
Peg added it
Jan 03, 2016
Patrizia grasso
Patrizia grasso rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
jr trim
jr trim marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Yulya Usova
Yulya Usova marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Books For
Books For marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Stephen Thomas
Stephen Thomas marked it as to-read
James Hartley
James Hartley is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2016
Ahmed Ibrahim
Ahmed Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Emily
Emily is currently reading it
Oct 15, 2015