Start by marking “King of the Middle March (Arthur Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
King of the Middle March (Arthur Trilogy, #3)

King of the Middle March (Arthur Trilogy #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,038 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Kevin Crossley-Holland's award-winning Arthur trilogy comes to its triumphant and moving close -- now in paperback!

Arthur de Caldicot waits eagerly in Venice for the start of the Fourth Crusade. But it's now, when Arthur's future should be clearest, that he feels the most doubt. Jealousies and greed threaten the Crusade, leading him to question its true mission. Back in En...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about King of the Middle March, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King of the Middle March

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteMary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy by Mary StewartLe Morte d'Arthur by Thomas MalorySir Gawain and the Green Knight by Unknown
The Arthurian Legend Retold
101st out of 356 books — 596 voters
The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteMary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy by Mary StewartLe Morte d'Arthur by Thomas MaloryThe Winter King by Bernard Cornwell
Best Arthurian Fiction
161st out of 327 books — 1,137 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikki
Meh. I feel very tricked by the lack of real connection between Manor Arthur and King Arthur. As I said of the first two books, the detail and research is good, and the voice of the narrator works well.

But it just feels so slight and all the more so for the truth about the connection between the two Arthurs. It's braver that way, in a way, I know: the story where someone starts to act out the life of a historical/mythological character in their own life and turns out to be a descendant/reincarna...more
Lozwin24
I thought this book was ok it was not, in my option, nearly as good as the others books in the trilogy. There is a lot of violence, it is also much sadder than the other books. I think the author Kevin Crossley-Holland males his characters very believable and real. I did only rate this 3 stars and I do have 3 good reasons why I did...

1. It wasn't a very good read to finish off the trilogy
2. It was quite sad and confusing sometimes
3. The story line was about the crusade and the story line kinda...more
Chad
Jan 15, 2009 Chad rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Arthurian legend fans; fans of medieval times; mature teens and up
Shelves: fantasy
This whole series is a good read. Blending 13th century life of Arthur de Caldicot with the life of King Arthur and his Knights was quite nice. Great perspective of the misguided beliefs leading to the Crusades and also how that same desire for war and wealth lead to infighting among Christians. The ending was not what I wanted but I wasnt surprised. There wasnt really any climax it just told about his days straight through his experience. (It is written in journal style). However, with a little...more
Tyas
Now Arthur de Gornatore has joined the English troops sent to wage a crusade against 'the Saracens' to recapture Jerusalem.
Or at least, they were meant to head for Jerusalem.

The crusaders are stuck in Venice, being unable to pay for the ships they have ordered to the Venetian Doge. The Doge said that he would reconsider their debts if the crusaders would help the Venetians recapture Zara, a Christian city across the Adriatic. Arthur begins to doubt the real intention of people who say that they...more
Brigid Keely
"King of the Middle March," by Kevin Crossley-Holland, is the third (and final) book in Crossley-Holland's middle school series about a young man named Arthur. Set in the early 13th century in the UK, Arthur comes of age and works toward his goal of becoming a knight and fighting in the Crusades, then finding who his mother is. Along the way, he experiences the adventures of famed King Arthur by watching them television-like in the magical Seeing Stone that Merlin gave him.

It's a decent series o...more
Krista
Author Cornelia Funke writes in a blurb on the back cover of this book, "The Arthur of this trilogy moves softly into one's heart." And that's just what this set of books did to me; tiptoed into my esteem.

Perhaps the last one is the best one. Perhaps, by the last one, the reader realizes that the connection between the Arthurs is no more than it appears to be; one of legend and observer. Perhaps it was because this book took Arthur off the March and into the world of the crusades.

But for whatev...more
Nadya
I was worried that this book would let the series down. I loved the first in the trilogy, The Seeing Stone, so much and the second was almost as wonderful. King of the Middle March I found disappointing and fairly unenjoyable until the second half. I think that I had fallen in love with the March & the characters living there in the first two books, and because of the majority of this book is set on a crusade, I was just missing Arthur's home. It really picks up, though, and I adored the sec...more
Nick
This parallel story trilogy held me to the end. Arthur's finish was by the book, in a good way, and the 'real' Arthur closes his tale on a suitably ambiguous-yet-hopeful note. My only complaint was that all-too-modern of plotting diseases, the reluctance to commit to a relationship at the end. We had a good love triangle going -- or rectangle, perhaps -- and it should have been resolved. To leave that to the stars was just wimping out on Crossley-Holland's part. But if you like your medieval tal...more
Lydia
I really enjoyed this series, I loved how the main character and King Arthur's lives paralleled each other in many ways but weren't the same at all. I also liked how Arthur of the book is his own person and learns from the king but doesn't necessarily make the same mistakes. I think the first two books were more enjoyable for me to read, but the third book is really necessary and shows great character growth. I was just disappointed that it didn't spend more time in the Middle March with Arthur...more
Ann Thomas
This is the last book of a trilogy aimed at young adults or older children. I read them because I want to write historical fiction set in the medieval period, so this could be called research. I enjoyed the first book, then the second was not so good, so I was not really looking forward to this one. However I was pleasantly surprised. Arthur goes off on crusade, while he watches the other Arthur, King Arthur in his seeing stone, as his kingdom falls apart.

By the end, everything is wrapped up ver...more
RS Fuster
The story was interesting but lacked something. The hardest part was staying awake The narrator put me to sleep.
Dos
Good, fast read
Nil Patel
very mysterious.full of action
Adela
This series was not at all what I expected it to be. I don't really see the point of having weaved the legend of King Arthur in with the tale of the young boy Arthur in the story. I guess to make it longer and milk it for three books? I also feel like the series is mis-shelved. It seems to me it belongs with the teen books, what will all the seductions, murders and rapes, particularly in this last volume.
Poetreehugger
I enjoyed the series, although I am still confused about what the seeing stone actually was. I enjoyed most of the detailed historical fact, but am concerned about the graphic violence in a couple of scenes. For a sensitive young person reading this book, it may be too much.
Like all good young adult fiction, this series does hold the attention and interest of adults also.
Catherine
It's better than book two of the trilogy because it resolves some of my questions of how King Arthur's knights' misadventures applied to the "real" Arthur's life. The writing is good, but I just wasn't inspired by the characters. There's a lot of amorality, and the Catholic church looks pretty bad, as is usual in many books that try to apologize for or explain the Crusades.
Sonya Adams
The luxury of a day off work and I all but inhaled this trilogy. Anne Fine wrote of the first book: "A book that lasts has to create a world so real that you can run your fingertips over its walls, feel its morning frostbite at your throat, and remember the people who lived there for a lifetime. Crossley-Holland has done it...". Amen, sister.
Deirdre S.
Young Sir Arthur must leave the crusade before reaching the Holy Land to escort his injured patron, Lord Stephen back home. Many threads are woven together to a resolution, but some remain to be followed in a sequel to this trilogy, Crossing to Paradise. I'm looking forward to picking it up at the library and concluding this saga.
Jenny
Arthur deCaldicot is on crusade and about to be knighted. He can't stop watching King Arthur's story in the stone, nore can he stop thinking about the morality of his situation. Why are the Saracens evil, why is he fighting Christians, why is his father evil? He must struggle to find his way, or the fate of King Arthur may be his.
Jessica Bingham
I picked this book up not realizing that this was a trilogy and this was the last one. So, I was a little confused to begin with, but I still decided to finish the book. Maybe I would like it more if I read the fist two. I really enjoyed the parts with the seeing stone and King Arthur with his court.
Eric
Nov 20, 2008 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This maybe my all time favorite book along with the others in its series. I feel like the main character is me exactly, or me as I strive to be. It is extremely well written, and gives a n amazing perspective and detalis about medieval life durng the crusades. I recommend this book to everyone.
Patrick Degnan
Apr 21, 2008 Patrick Degnan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This book was awesome, in my opinion the best one in the trilogy. It was a little hard to follow at parts but other than that it was great. And of course at the end it turns out that they all live happily ever after :).(maybe)
Emma Grace
I thought it went really slow. The first book was good, the second was ok, and this one was VERY slow. I could not read it very fast. It took me a grand total of two and a half weeks to read it because it was so slow!
Linda
Just adding this in to show I've read all three. Loved them. But some may find them tedious. Great historical sketch that includes the agonies of growing up, and the paradoxes of the great Crusade.
Mari
I liked this part better than the first two. The story might not be that special, but it was lovely and it quickly got me into it. Also, it was a pretty quick read, and that is always a good thing.
Laurel
A very satisfying conclusion to the series! Everything was wrapped up, but not in that stupid cutesy sort of way. The surprises just kept coming! I absolutely adore the Arthur of these books.
Siri Feeney
I thought Crossley-Holland dealt perfectly with the realities of the Crusade, along with his terrific, almost hypnotic storytelling. His characters are understated and deeply portrayed.
Romaskruse
better than the second book in the trilogy, not as good as the first, trilogy overall was between 'meh' and 'good'. How's that for a review?
Challis
interesting how the ending doesn't really wrap things up in a nice little package. But it is a great ending nonetheless.
Voulpal
It is very good ...
  • The Squire's Quest (The Squire's Tales, #9)
  • The Lantern Bearers
  • Here Lies Arthur
  • I Am Mordred
  • Guinevere (Guinevere, #1)
  • The Cuckoo Tree
  • The Book of Mordred
  • The Child of the Holy Grail (Guenevere, #3)
  • Prince of Dreams: A Tale of Tristan and Esyllte
  • Sword of the Rightful King
  • To Ruin A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #4)
  • Final Call (Autumn Rain, #3)
Kevin Crossley-Holland is a well-known poet and prize-winning author for children. His books include Waterslain Angels, a detective story set in north Norfolk in 1955, and Moored Man: A Cycle of North Norfolk Poems; Gatty's Tale, a medieval pilgrimage novel; and the Arthur trilogy (The Seeing Stone, At the Crossing-Places and King of the Middle March), which combines historical fiction with the re...more
More about Kevin Crossley-Holland...
The Norse Myths (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library) The Seeing Stone (Arthur Trilogy, #1) At the Crossing Places (Arthur Trilogy, #2) The Anglo-Saxon World: An Anthology Crossing to Paradise