Start by marking “King of the Middle March (Arthur Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
King of the Middle March (Arthur Trilogy, #3)

King of the Middle March (Arthur Trilogy #3)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  1,470 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Kevin Crossley-Holland's award-winning Arthur trilogy comes to its triumphant and moving close -- now in paperback!

Arthur de Caldicot waits eagerly in Venice for the start of the Fourth Crusade. But it's now, when Arthur's future should be clearest, that he feels the most doubt. Jealousies and greed threaten the Crusade, leading him to question its true mission. Back in En
Published March 1st 2006 by Scholastic Inc. (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about King of the Middle March, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King of the Middle March

Gary
This is the last of the trilogy that is Kevin Crossley-Holland’s version of the Arthur story, and a fine version it is too. Ostensibly a children’s book, it would also qualify as part of the Young Adult genre, though I hate categorising books so restrictively. I would also categorise it under fantasy, social commentary and classics, as I am sure it will become one. I also believe that the authorities could do worse than make this part of the curriculum, dealing with it does not only with Medieva ...more
Nikki
Meh. I feel very tricked by the lack of real connection between Manor Arthur and King Arthur. As I said of the first two books, the detail and research is good, and the voice of the narrator works well.

But it just feels so slight and all the more so for the truth about the connection between the two Arthurs. It's braver that way, in a way, I know: the story where someone starts to act out the life of a historical/mythological character in their own life and turns out to be a descendant/reincarna
Mariana
Tyas
Aug 27, 2008 Tyas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arthurian, fantasy
Now Arthur de Gornatore has joined the English troops sent to wage a crusade against 'the Saracens' to recapture Jerusalem.
Or at least, they were meant to head for Jerusalem.

The crusaders are stuck in Venice, being unable to pay for the ships they have ordered to the Venetian Doge. The Doge said that he would reconsider their debts if the crusaders would help the Venetians recapture Zara, a Christian city across the Adriatic. Arthur begins to doubt the real intention of people who say that they
Lozwin24
Feb 12, 2013 Lozwin24 rated it liked it
I thought this book was ok it was not, in my option, nearly as good as the others books in the trilogy. There is a lot of violence, it is also much sadder than the other books. I think the author Kevin Crossley-Holland males his characters very believable and real. I did only rate this 3 stars and I do have 3 good reasons why I did...

1. It wasn't a very good read to finish off the trilogy
2. It was quite sad and confusing sometimes
3. The story line was about the crusade and the story line kinda
Nilsson
I'm going to try and find a stone like that to watch, because sometimes I've got nothing to do on a hot day when my twin brother is playing his gameboy.
Lisa
Mar 22, 2017 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found book three to be more engaging than book two. While it is a slower paced read, it is still good.
Krista
Jun 12, 2010 Krista rated it liked it
Author Cornelia Funke writes in a blurb on the back cover of this book, "The Arthur of this trilogy moves softly into one's heart." And that's just what this set of books did to me; tiptoed into my esteem.

Perhaps the last one is the best one. Perhaps, by the last one, the reader realizes that the connection between the Arthurs is no more than it appears to be; one of legend and observer. Perhaps it was because this book took Arthur off the March and into the world of the crusades.

But for whatev
Anne Hamilton
Arthur is in Venice, having joined a crusade along with his foster-father, Lord Stephen. He's waiting to be knighted when his worst nightmare occurs - his father arrives. Selfish and brutal, Sir William of Gortamore is nevertheless astute when it comes to political machinations: and he recognises trouble (and what, in a later age would be called 'Machiavellian' intent) in the Doge's policies.

The crusaders have ordered Venetian ships for thirty thousand men. But only ten thousand have arrived. A
Patricia Ash-Vildosola
Feb 16, 2017 Patricia Ash-Vildosola rated it it was amazing
Id the author a historical re-enactor? The descriptions are so solid and vivid that you feel like you're on crusade with Arthur. Well done!
Brigid Keely
Feb 04, 2013 Brigid Keely rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, fiction, history, 2013
"King of the Middle March," by Kevin Crossley-Holland, is the third (and final) book in Crossley-Holland's middle school series about a young man named Arthur. Set in the early 13th century in the UK, Arthur comes of age and works toward his goal of becoming a knight and fighting in the Crusades, then finding who his mother is. Along the way, he experiences the adventures of famed King Arthur by watching them television-like in the magical Seeing Stone that Merlin gave him.

It's a decent series o
Chad
Jan 03, 2009 Chad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Arthurian legend fans; fans of medieval times; mature teens and up
Shelves: fantasy
This whole series is a good read. Blending 13th century life of Arthur de Caldicot with the life of King Arthur and his Knights was quite nice. Great perspective of the misguided beliefs leading to the Crusades and also how that same desire for war and wealth lead to infighting among Christians. The ending was not what I wanted but I wasnt surprised. There wasnt really any climax it just told about his days straight through his experience. (It is written in journal style). However, with a little ...more
Nadya
Jan 11, 2011 Nadya rated it really liked it
I was worried that this book would let the series down. I loved the first in the trilogy, The Seeing Stone, so much and the second was almost as wonderful. King of the Middle March I found disappointing and fairly unenjoyable until the second half. I think that I had fallen in love with the March & the characters living there in the first two books, and because of the majority of this book is set on a crusade, I was just missing Arthur's home. It really picks up, though, and I adored the sec ...more
Nick
Feb 04, 2012 Nick rated it it was amazing
This parallel story trilogy held me to the end. Arthur's finish was by the book, in a good way, and the 'real' Arthur closes his tale on a suitably ambiguous-yet-hopeful note. My only complaint was that all-too-modern of plotting diseases, the reluctance to commit to a relationship at the end. We had a good love triangle going -- or rectangle, perhaps -- and it should have been resolved. To leave that to the stars was just wimping out on Crossley-Holland's part. But if you like your medieval tal ...more
Lydia
Oct 24, 2010 Lydia rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this series, I loved how the main character and King Arthur's lives paralleled each other in many ways but weren't the same at all. I also liked how Arthur of the book is his own person and learns from the king but doesn't necessarily make the same mistakes. I think the first two books were more enjoyable for me to read, but the third book is really necessary and shows great character growth. I was just disappointed that it didn't spend more time in the Middle March with Arthur ...more
Ann Thomas
Dec 27, 2013 Ann Thomas rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-writing
This is the last book of a trilogy aimed at young adults or older children. I read them because I want to write historical fiction set in the medieval period, so this could be called research. I enjoyed the first book, then the second was not so good, so I was not really looking forward to this one. However I was pleasantly surprised. Arthur goes off on crusade, while he watches the other Arthur, King Arthur in his seeing stone, as his kingdom falls apart.

By the end, everything is wrapped up ver
Stephen
Jun 26, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it
Shelves: literature
The final volume of the trilogy. I quite enjoyed the tale. Arthur is finally out of England, becomes a knight, sickened by the detail of war, and doesn't make it to Jerusalem.

This is a very gentle story that has an interesting parallel story - that of Arthur Pendragon. I liked the way in which these were woven together, although we don't ever really get to know about their point of intersection.

Not that I am overly worried. I took it as a nice story to read just before bed time. It suits that
Cori Reed
Mar 16, 2016 Cori Reed rated it did not like it
Full disclaimer: I skim read a bunch of the latter half of this book. I just couldn't handle it.

The first two books in this trilogy are part Arthurian legend, and it really feels like our protagonist Arthur and King Arthur are somehow linked. In this one you just don't feel that. It's also SUPER preachy (it's set during the crusades, so fair enough, but the first two weren't in the crusades, so you really didn't experience as much of the religious side of things). They way they treat women? Barf
Matilda Rose
Jan 24, 2016 Matilda Rose rated it really liked it
Arthur finally accomplishes his final dream - to go on a crusade. But unfortunately, things don't go to plan. His master, Lord Stephen, falls ill, and Arthur has to return him home. Also, Arthur is horrified at the brutality of battle and war. A tiny eight year old boy is catapulted alive over the city walls and several hundred men and women drown at sea when their ship sinks.

Meanwhile, Winnie has fallen in love with Tom, and Gatty's father has died. And when Arthur finally returns home, Gatty h
Kimberly
Jan 30, 2017 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Wow. This is the third book in the trilogy. I have read the other two but have not reviewed them yet. This trilogy is absolutely beautiful- written so poetically and giving such divine glimpses into medieval England, Venice and the Crusades. The author explores so many concepts in such an accessible way- honor, compassion, faith, what it means to be devout, and is it right to question things. In today's political climate it reads as incredibly timely. I love the concept of Arthur's stone, which ...more
Adela
May 10, 2012 Adela rated it it was ok
This series was not at all what I expected it to be. I don't really see the point of having weaved the legend of King Arthur in with the tale of the young boy Arthur in the story. I guess to make it longer and milk it for three books? I also feel like the series is mis-shelved. It seems to me it belongs with the teen books, what will all the seductions, murders and rapes, particularly in this last volume.
Lillian
And so ends the journalyish King Arthur trilogy! Good stuff. There were some fun and sad moments in this book, but it all made a nice story. Thanks to it, I now have an absolute most favorite chapter EVER to look back on - chapter 39! It made me laugh out loud, because the WHOLE THING looks like a shopping list! It was the best thing I ever read in my life.

PG 13 for suggestive themes, violence and language. :P
Jocelin Willshaw
Jan 21, 2017 Jocelin Willshaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic conclusion to a troubled series, Arthur De Caldecott finds the king in himself in the final chapter to a fairly slow book series. Although it follows the same format to the prior two books there is more of a sense of adventure in King of The Middle March and all the enigmas and connections are wrapped up satisfyingly.
Sonya
Jul 31, 2013 Sonya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The luxury of a day off work and I all but inhaled this trilogy. Anne Fine wrote of the first book: "A book that lasts has to create a world so real that you can run your fingertips over its walls, feel its morning frostbite at your throat, and remember the people who lived there for a lifetime. Crossley-Holland has done it...". Amen, sister.
Deirdre S.
Jun 09, 2011 Deirdre S. rated it really liked it
Young Sir Arthur must leave the crusade before reaching the Holy Land to escort his injured patron, Lord Stephen back home. Many threads are woven together to a resolution, but some remain to be followed in a sequel to this trilogy, Crossing to Paradise. I'm looking forward to picking it up at the library and concluding this saga.
Catherine
Jan 29, 2013 Catherine rated it it was ok
It's better than book two of the trilogy because it resolves some of my questions of how King Arthur's knights' misadventures applied to the "real" Arthur's life. The writing is good, but I just wasn't inspired by the characters. There's a lot of amorality, and the Catholic church looks pretty bad, as is usual in many books that try to apologize for or explain the Crusades.
Poetreehugger
Jul 17, 2012 Poetreehugger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the series, although I am still confused about what the seeing stone actually was. I enjoyed most of the detailed historical fact, but am concerned about the graphic violence in a couple of scenes. For a sensitive young person reading this book, it may be too much.
Like all good young adult fiction, this series does hold the attention and interest of adults also.
Jenny
Sep 15, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
Arthur deCaldicot is on crusade and about to be knighted. He can't stop watching King Arthur's story in the stone, nore can he stop thinking about the morality of his situation. Why are the Saracens evil, why is he fighting Christians, why is his father evil? He must struggle to find his way, or the fate of King Arthur may be his.
Jessica Bingham
Nov 15, 2013 Jessica Bingham rated it it was ok
Shelves: jf
I picked this book up not realizing that this was a trilogy and this was the last one. So, I was a little confused to begin with, but I still decided to finish the book. Maybe I would like it more if I read the fist two. I really enjoyed the parts with the seeing stone and King Arthur with his court.
Eric
Nov 20, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This maybe my all time favorite book along with the others in its series. I feel like the main character is me exactly, or me as I strive to be. It is extremely well written, and gives a n amazing perspective and detalis about medieval life durng the crusades. I recommend this book to everyone.
  • The Squire's Quest (The Squire's Tales, #9)
  • The Chessboard Queen (Guinevere, #2)
  • The Lantern Bearers
  • Here Lies Arthur
  • Arthur the King
  • The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles, #6)
  • Gawain and Lady Green (Merlin's Harp, #2)
  • Under Camelot's Banner (The Paths to Camelot, #3)
  • Wise Woman's Telling (Morgan Le Fay, #1)
  • Preacher's Boy
  • Grail Prince
  • The Child of the Holy Grail (Guenevere, #3)
Kevin Crossley-Holland is a well-known poet and prize-winning author for children. His books include Waterslain Angels, a detective story set in north Norfolk in 1955, and Moored Man: A Cycle of North Norfolk Poems; Gatty's Tale, a medieval pilgrimage novel; and the Arthur trilogy (The Seeing Stone, At the Crossing-Places and King of the Middle March), which combines historical fiction with the re ...more
More about Kevin Crossley-Holland...

Arthur Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Seeing Stone (Arthur Trilogy, #1)
  • At the Crossing Places (Arthur Trilogy, #2)