Start by marking “Paul, Mein Großer Bruder” as Want to Read:
Paul, Mein Großer Bruder

Paul, Mein Großer Bruder

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  35 reviews
"My Brother and His Brother" is a novel about two brothers. The story is told by one of them, Jonas, an 18-year old boy. Throughout his teenage years he has been trying to get an image of Paul, the brother he never met, a brother who died at the age of 16, the year before Jonas himself was born. The story is told like a crime story, with loose ends, clues and cliff hangers ...more
Published 2007 by Gmünder (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Paul, Mein Großer Bruder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paul, Mein Großer Bruder

Macartney
A simple and beautiful Swedish story, originally written in 1993 and only recently translated. A love letter to brothers of all kinds—biological, romantic, missing, imagined, desired. A ghost story that is equally mysterious and heartbreaking, without being trite. A study in the desire to connect. A quick read if you open up to it. I sobbed for like the last 40 pages.
Guille Osorio
Linda, valiente, fácil de leer, simple pero intensa, triste pero a la vez llena de amor. Hace rato que no leía un libro tan lindo. Es interesante ver como las preguntas, intuiciones y dudas del protagonista van cambiando según la edad y eso que empieza cerca de los 13 y el libro termina cuando tenía 16 o por ahí. Debo reconocer que tiene varios factores que hacen que un libro no me guste (pero no afectó nada porque lo amé) Me cargó Daniel, demasiado. Tiene cosas que no se resuelven y el final es ...more
Gerry Burnie
Gerry B's Book Reviews - http://gerrycan.wordpress.com

I was first drawn to My Brother and His Brother [Bruno Gmunder Verlag Gmbh, 2011]by the intriguing title, as well as the strikingly handsome, Nordic lad portrayed on the front cover by photographer Howard Roffman. Now, I’ll admit that this is not the best way to choose a novel—“you can’t judge a book by its cover,” etc.—but fortunately Håkan Lindquist came through with an intriguing story as well.

Written in Swedish in 1993, but not translated
Jon O
The first few pages were good enough to make you want to read the whole book in one sitting. It was interestingly written that would draw curiosity. It was haunting. At times, I thought I would be seeing the ghost of his brother coming back for a visit. Personally, it was that chilly. And I like the way the author chose to end the book, without attempting to reveal the confrontation of the gay issue with the parents. Somehow, it felt like the mother knew. This is a good book. Definitely recommen ...more
Anwen Hayward
I was interested in this book as I'd had a similar idea for a story myself a few years back (about a child investigating the life of a sibling they'd never known) and I thought I would see how this author kept the narrative going. For the plot of this book, I'd give 3 stars - it's quite a gripping idea, but the characters are so thinly drawn that I just stopped caring after a while. As for the style; well, I can imagine the draw behind translating your own work and having control of it in as man ...more
Simon Stanford
This is a compelling and simply told tale about a boy trying to find out about his brother who died before he was born. It works best the less you know about it. Reading the blurb on the back took away some of the mystery but it was still very enjoyable. There are some lovely ambiguous scenes, things left unsaid and the reader is left to draw their own conclusions.

The author translated it himself and I'm afraid is does sometimes show that is has been translated by someone who is not a native spe
Kernos
It is a Holmesian style mystery about a teen trying to discover his Gay brother who died before the detective was born. It was translated from Swedish by the author and is written in a simple, but elegant prose style. Unlike most mysteries, it's solution is elusive and left up to the reader. The unexpected is not obvious. It's a quick read and recommended.
Benjamin
At fifteen years, Jonas begins to take an interest in his older brother, Paul, who was killed in 1968 in an accident at the age of fifteen just seventeen months before Jonas himself was born. This interest will consume Jonas for the next three years, until at the age of eighteen his investigations really take off and when he is eventually able to solve many answered questions.

Jonas pursues his investigation with rather like a young Sherlock Holmes, and he soon discovers that his brother had an i
Josh
Extra points for translation. Not a romance novel.
Kris
I was really hoping I would love this book. The concept behind it really sounded like something I would enjoy, and the added angles of the gay relationship and it taking place in Sweden also made me want to read it. It's not a bad book, but there were a few things that kept me from really getting into it and from rating it higher. The book was originally written in Swedish; the English version, translated by the author, does not read as smoothly as I'd like. The dialogue among the characters, re ...more
Grady
'Sorrow has its own life...'

Håkan Lindquist wrote this sterling, poignant, profound little novel in his native Swedish in 2002. Now, courtesy of Bruno Gmünder Verlag embarking on a very welcome avenue of adding literature to their repertoire of fine quality art books, the author's English translation is available in the United States. MY BROTHER AND HIS BROTHER has been published in Denmark, France, Norway, Belgium, Hungary, Iceland, Germany, and Italy: the impact on audiences is obvious. This i
Chris
Swedish author Hakan Lindquist’s short novel, My Brother and His Brother, is a jumbled and relatively slow-paced yet intriguing account of a young man’s quest to learn more about his deceased brother and the events leading up to his death.

Eighteen-year-old Jonas discovers a letter in the pocket of the jacket that belonged to his brother, Paul, who was run over by a train almost two years before Jonas was born. The letter is written to someone named "Princi," and Jonas learns from his mother’s lo
Kergan Edwards-Stout
The following review comes from a post of mine on recent Swedish efforts, including the tv series "The Killing" and the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" Millenium series. For the entire post, please go to: http://kerganedwards-stout.com/swedis...

This section on the novel comes mid-post:

“My Brother and His Brother”, a terrific new book I recently discovered by Swedish author Håkan Lindquist, shares this complex balancing act, leaving the reader thoroughly entranced in the process. Acclaimed in both
Thomas
What is it about Swedish authors and mysteries? No I don't mean those "Girl With ..." books. I haven't read any of those. I mean books that fall outside of the mystery genre and yet employ the elements of a mystery to drive the plot. "Sophie's World" comes to mind, besides this book, which also features a mystery and a juvenile who slowly solves it.

The mystery motif energizes this novella greatly, but the solution to the mystery is not nearly satisfying enough to warrant using it as the driving
Neil Warmington
This book follows a young boy who explores the past if his deceased brother. Having never known his brother, our narrator is able to piece together the feelings that his brother explored, particularly with regards to another young Czech boy who captured his heart.

Beautifully written, this short book makes a touching read. I very much enjoyed it.
Alex Pickett
Wow, what a compelling little book. It tells the story of a brother trying to find out more about the brother before him, who he never knew. Along the way he finds out a great deal, and it makes for a sad, but powerful, story, with lots of unexpected and clever turns.
Jerry Delaney
Jonas tries to solve the mystery of his older brother who dies before Jonas was born. It won a number of awards in Europe but I found it pretty light reading and closer toa YA book than one for adults. Perhaps just not my cup of tea.
Zauberlehrling!
Diese Geschichte ist herzerweichend. Es fängt langsam und dickflüssig an und ich hatte die Befürchtung, dass ich es kaum bis zur Mitte schaffen würde ... aber da war ich schon über die Mitte hinweg. Ich konnte es nicht mehr aus der Hand legen und überlegte mit Jonas (dem kleinen Hauptakteur des Buches) was passiert sein könnte. Es ist rührend, dass mir sogar jetzt noch da ich diesen Kommentar schreibe die Gänsehaut den Körper lang hochkriecht, und kommt ohne viel Action oder Konflikten aus. Am E ...more
Francisco
Es un hermosa historia , bien redactada y un final feliz..
Gert
Oct 05, 2009 Gert rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: +14
Shelves: 14plus
Het boek heeft echt een indruk op mij nagelaten. Ik weet welke periode Paul heeft meegemaakt en ik voelde echt mee met het boek. Omdat ik het boek zo goed en levenecht vond heb ik hem zelfs laten lezen door mijn grootmoeder. Zij was ook danig onder de indruk en stelde zelfs vragen aan mij als ze iets niet begreep. Het is echt een aanrader. Niet alleen voor holebi’s, maar ook voor mensen die geen zicht hebben op de holebiwereld of er misschien zelf tegen zijn. Deze boek heeft naast al de boeken d ...more
Stéphanie
L'histoire d'un jeune homme Jonas dans sa quête pour essayer de mieux comprendre qui était son frère, mort avant sa naissance.
Le sujet de la perte d'un proche est traité ici avec beaucoup de pudeur et ne tombe jamais dans le pathos. Quand à l'homosexualité, elle n'est ni stigmatisée, ni caricaturale. Cette histoire parle d'amour tout simplement, et de la perte d'un être cher. Un roman poétique et bouleversant.
Erik Orrantia
Slight spoiler alert. Truly a nice read. The language is so simple yet effective. No words are wasted here.

I almost felt like it was the story of a reincarnation and I was waiting for a bigger hint regarding Jonas' sexuality or even some attraction between him and Petr. Perhaps for my anticipation, I thought the ending was a tad weak. Still, I truly enjoyed it and highly recommend it.
Milan/zzz
I've read this novel in one sitting (which doesn't happen quite often). It was a lovely melancholic story written in simple but quite effective language. One of those quiet, unpretentious books you stumble upon every now and then and after you're done you realize that you just found a true gem. Absolutely recommending to everyone in love in fine literature.
Rebecca
The various European covers for this book are hilarious. I am not sure why this book has been translated into several languages. Perhaps it is something of an international young adult gay classic. It's hokey and written at a middle-grade level. Still, there is something kind of endearing about it.
Alx_zero
Bonita historia sobre un chico que decide investigar quien fue su hermano, un chico al que nunca conoció ya que murió antes de que él naciese. Una historia simple y un poco tópica dentro de este tipo de literatura, pero que se lee rápido y entretiene lo suficiente.
Duane Colwell
I thought it was rather interesting. Well written, but nothing to get excited about. Rather short, and a straight forward story of discovery. We actually discovered almost nothing about the narrator of the story; the straight brother.
Mary  Goodnight
Il n'y a pas un mot de trop dans ce roman suédois court et poignant qui aborde le deuil, la fraternité et l'homosexualité avec subtilité. Une très belle histoire qui continue à hanter le lecteur une fois le livre refermé...
Danny
Kind of a nothing book. And some of the prose was stilted. I don't know if it was because it was a translation, or if maybe Swedish is just a stilted language. Then again, look at the Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.
Suzette
Very good read and easy read. It is a simple story of a brother's quest to learn of his older deceased brother. with mystery and intrigue. Well written easy to read in a few hours.
John
Saw it in a bookstore, skeptical at first. Was hooked early on and affected emotionally by the end. This is rare for me and a pleasant surprise.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Probation
  • Martin and John
  • War Against the Animals
  • The Temple
  • Harlan's Race (Harlan's Story, #2)
  • Dance on My Grave
  • Koolaids: The Art of War
  • Breakfast with Scot
  • Clay's Way
  • Wingmen
  • Comfort and Joy
  • The Year of Ice
  • Avoidance
English version: Håkan Lindquist was born in Sweden. He lives in Stockholm and in Berlin. He has written five novels, many short stories, one opera libretto and several articles mainly on literature and art. He is currently working on a new novel.

German version: Håkan Lindquist wurde in Oskarshamn (Schweden) geboren, wo auch einige seiner Romane spielen. 1993 veröffentlichte er den Roman "Min bro
More about Håkan Lindquist...
Regn och åska Om att samla frimärken On Collecting Stamps Dröm att leva I ett annat land