Start by marking “Taking Care of Your Child: A Parent's Guide to Medical Care” as Want to Read:
Taking Care of Your Child: A Parent's Guide to Medical Care

Taking Care of Your Child: A Parent's Guide to Medical Care

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The authors offer advice on hundreds of common health problems experienced by children from birth through adolescence. Includes more than 100 decision-making charts to help parents decide when to call the doctor.
Published February 1st 1990 by Addison Wesley Publishing Company (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Taking Care of Your Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking Care of Your Child

Maissaa Zahran
OK this book is not the type you read from cover to cover, it is more of a reference book, which is great. It also covers every topic/issue one can think of or come across, which is also great. It only deserved 3 stars because of the level of coverage; it addresses every topic only on a very basic level without going in depth, so if you know a little about something and need more this is not the book to go to. Part IV of the book is a very good and practical tool as it guides a parent through il ...more
Alicia Gallagher
Sep 16, 2015 Alicia Gallagher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very helpful and easy to read. I'm sure I'll pick it up again every time I have a question about my baby's health.
Teresa B
Sep 28, 2009 Teresa B rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERY parent
Recommended to Teresa by: can't remember which baby shower guest 23 years ago, but if I ev
This "mom's medical reference" book is user friendly. Body systems are grouped together and individual symptoms are listed in the index. Flow-chart questions guide a parental ignorance and paranoia in the right direction, with solutions ranging from "apply home treatment" (with instructions) to "make appointment with physician" to "see physician today" to "see physician NOW!"

This remains one of the most-used gifts from my first daughter's baby shower. I STILL consult it from time to time!
Jodi
Dec 25, 2014 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting, reference
A really good reference for identifying childhood illnesses and symptoms, with instructions for home remedies, when to see the doctor and what to expect from him regarding the illness. I've thumbed through this many a time in the wee hours of the night while caring for a sick kid--VERY helpful.
Travis
Jan 24, 2009 Travis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference, medicine
For every patient who comes in bringing their kid with something they could have looked up I wish I had a copy of this book to give them. You can fish for a man and feed him for a day, or you can give him a book on fishing and hope he stops asking you. HEHEHEH
Randy
Jan 15, 2009 Randy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't actually finished it. I have thumbed through it and it looks like it is primarily designed for reference and not actual casual linear reading. Looks pretty thorough and up to date.
Ashley
Jul 20, 2012 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is very informative. I relied on it a lot for my first child. I find myself re-reading passages. And the neat thing is this book covers adolence as well.
Molly
Dec 06, 2011 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very nice resource to have on-hand. Full of a variety of medically relevant topical helps for parents. Easy to read without being condescending.
Sara
May 08, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Extremely helpful book.
Krystal Davis
Great to have on hand.
Aleasha
Aleasha marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Azniv
Azniv added it
Jan 15, 2016
Brigitte Polyack
Brigitte Polyack marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Aleta
Aleta rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2015
Judy A Walsh
Judy A Walsh rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2015
Pepa Richardson
Pepa Richardson rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2015
Sandy
Sandy added it
Sep 08, 2015
J Hough
J Hough marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
P Sawyer
P Sawyer marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Joanne
Joanne added it
Jul 12, 2015
Sugar Ctecp
Sugar Ctecp marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015