Taking Care of Your Child: A Parent's Guide to Medical Care

Taking Care of Your Child: A Parent's Guide to Medical Care

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The authors offer advice on hundreds of common health problems experienced by children from birth through adolescence. Includes more than 100 decision-making charts to help parents decide when to call the doctor.
Published February 1st 1990 by Addison Wesley Publishing Company (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Taking Care of Your Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking Care of Your Child

Maissaa Zahran
OK this book is not the type you read from cover to cover, it is more of a reference book, which is great. It also covers every topic/issue one can think of or come across, which is also great. It only deserved 3 stars because of the level of coverage; it addresses every topic only on a very basic level without going in depth, so if you know a little about something and need more this is not the book to go to. Part IV of the book is a very good and practical tool as it guides a parent through il...more
Teresa B
Sep 28, 2009 Teresa B rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: EVERY parent
Recommended to Teresa by: can't remember which baby shower guest 23 years ago, but if I ev
This "mom's medical reference" book is user friendly. Body systems are grouped together and individual symptoms are listed in the index. Flow-chart questions guide a parental ignorance and paranoia in the right direction, with solutions ranging from "apply home treatment" (with instructions) to "make appointment with physician" to "see physician today" to "see physician NOW!"

This remains one of the most-used gifts from my first daughter's baby shower. I STILL consult it from time to time!
Jodi
A really good reference for identifying childhood illnesses and symptoms, with instructions for home remedies, when to see the doctor and what to expect from him regarding the illness. I've thumbed through this many a time in the wee hours of the night while caring for a sick kid--VERY helpful.
Travis
For every patient who comes in bringing their kid with something they could have looked up I wish I had a copy of this book to give them. You can fish for a man and feed him for a day, or you can give him a book on fishing and hope he stops asking you. HEHEHEH
Randy
I haven't actually finished it. I have thumbed through it and it looks like it is primarily designed for reference and not actual casual linear reading. Looks pretty thorough and up to date.
Ashley
This is very informative. I relied on it a lot for my first child. I find myself re-reading passages. And the neat thing is this book covers adolence as well.
Molly
A very nice resource to have on-hand. Full of a variety of medically relevant topical helps for parents. Easy to read without being condescending.
Sara
Extremely helpful book.
Hind
Hind added it
Jul 06, 2014
Aliya
Aliya marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Cam
Cam added it
Jun 20, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
BK
BK added it
Jun 07, 2014
Erika RS
Erika RS marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Diane Ostermann
Diane Ostermann marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Natalie Lee
Natalie Lee marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Karen
Karen added it
Mar 27, 2014
Donna Petty
Donna Petty marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Nathan
Nathan added it
Feb 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Taking Care of Your Child, Ninth Edition: A Parent's Illustrated Guide to Complete Medical Care The Parent's Pharmacy: Preventing and Treating Childhood Illnesses The Common Symptom Guide A-Z Common Symptom Answer Guide: A Family Medical Reference