Three Ghost Stories

Three Ghost Stories

3.06 of 5 stars 3.06  ·  rating details  ·  245 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Charles John Huffam Dickens (1812-1870), also known as "Boz," was the foremost English novelist of the Victorian era, as well as a vigorous social campaigner. Considered one of the English language's greatest writers, he was acclaimed for his rich storytelling and memorable characters, and achieved massive worldwide popularity in his lifetime. The popularity of his novels...more
Published August 3rd 2006 by Waking Lion Press (first published 1998)

Becky
Another disappointing book. One can definitely tell, even in this short collection, that Dickens was paid by the word. Damn, so much erroneous text that it feels like it takes ages to read a single page! I read one of these stories (The Signal-Man) last night. *yawn* Better than Ambien.

The other two stories (The Haunted House and The Trial for Murder) I read this morning. Fantastic way to start the day. Boring. I wanted to go right back to sleep.

I'm sure that back when these were written, they...more
Angus Mcfarlane
I thought a set of Victorian ghost stories might be a more interesting read than Dickens' longer novels, but I was disappointed to find they weren't. While each paragraph and sentence is well constructed and evocative, they are not strung together to make stories that hold any substance (and no, I don't think this is the writers attempt at irony). With a whole 'other' realm to use for either commentary on the one we know, or intrigue as to what else might be out there, the opportunity is wasted....more
Alannah Clarke
I remember studying The Signalman at GCSE level but for the life of me, I could not remember who wrote it. I loved reading it again all these years later, I did think it was the best story out of these three stories. Overall I really enjoyed reading all three stories and it really didn't take me that long to read it. It's the perfect collection to read for Halloween.
Michael Nutt

I must confess that Dickens is an author I have avoided reading since an abortive attempt at studying his 'Hard Times' at school. I found his writing style heavy-going, with tortuous sentences and long, descriptive passages that seemed to take the story nowhere. Or, at least, that is how I remember it. And then there is the sheer length of most of his novels ...

All of which is a good reason for reading some of his short stories as a way to get into Dickens. This Kindle edition compiling three of...more
Leslie
I found the first story, "The Haunted House", disappointing. It had a promising start of possible ghostly haunting but then veers off into a detailed recounting of a dream(?) of children pretending to be a seraglio. The next two stories were much more satisfying -"Trial for Murder" and "The Signal-Man" both were more straightforward albeit supernatural.
Joseph
So often we get caught up reading "The Great Dickens." It's easy to miss these smaller gems that endeared him to so many readers of his day.

Although a bit dated, Dickens' writing is to the eye, what satin is to the hand.
Judy
Loved all three - for their vivid evocation of worldly and other-worldy atmospheres, for their penetration into normal and abnormal human psychology, and for their literary charm. Best read in the wee small hours.
Batgrl (No, GR I Don't Trust You With My Paperwhite Data)
I had multiple lengthy ebooks to read, but wanted a bit more short Christmas stories to pass the time - so of course I thought of Dickens. I suppose I should add that I was also trying to read this while others were watching tv and every now and then trying to have a conversation with me - so I'd stop, chat a bit, and then go back to reading. Short stories are usually the easiest for this sort of situation. (Previously in the past weeks I've read old Christmas, a Christmas Carol, and Cricket on...more
Pamela
The Signal-Man is by far the best story in this collection, and largely responsible for raising my rating. It pains me to give a lower rating to Dickens, but the second story, The Haunted House was so utterly bizarre that I could make neither heads nor tails of it. It gives the impression of being two completely different stories sewn together in the middle.

However, I love that even in a ghost/horror story, Dickens manages to slide in a wry or nasty comment about some social injustice or general...more
Jim Lander
I normally have only praise got anything done by Dickens. However, this collection of ghost stories was, overall, not so good. The first and last stories are good reads, not too long and sufficiently eerie to keep the story going. The last story rates five stars, but the overall rating is drug down by the next to last story.
Emily
I read the free Kindle version of this collection of stories. As implied by the title, this book is made up of three stories that are somewhat spooky. An interesting read although I wasn't clear on whether the first two stories had the same narrator.
Jane
The first story "The Signalman" was good. The second story was really enjoyable to begin with but then it seemed that the author couldn't be bothered with it anymore and went off on some weird tangent that I couldn't even finish reading. The third story was ok. Overall a really disappointing collection.
Erin
I enjoyed the first and third stories (The Signal Man and The Trial for Murder), but I got lost halfway through the second one and felt like I missed some huge detail, haha. I read The Signal Man for school and decided to finish the book on my own time.
Ravie
A satisfactorily enjoyable read, The Haunted House needs to be read fully and hence may not make much sense just by reading Dickens's two parts.

Full review: http://therarefied.blogspot.in/2013/0...
Not the best of Dickens... The endings were a little abrupt and left a lot to be desired, especially with the second ghost story. I actually really liked the first one, but wish there were a little more invested in each of the other two.
Roberta
Well, I guess I had an indigestion of gothic novels this Christmas. That's probably the reason why I could not keep my mind on these pages. The stories are fine, but not particularly engaging.
I love the film of The Signalman so wanted to read the short story. I very much enjoyed that story. The other two didn't hold my interest though and didn't talk in the story as I was reading it.
James Everington
Never really taken to Dickens's novels much, do thought I'd try this. Two of the three stories were good if not great. One just seemed a mass of digressions padding out a pretty weak plot.
Melodee
This is a nice little group of three ghost stories, although I didn't care for the ending of the second one; I thought it felt unfinished. Other than that, they are fun and not too scary.
विकास   नैनवाल

The book contains three stories by Charles Dickens :

The Haunted House : rating 2/5 .
The Trial for murder : rating: 3/5
The Signal Man rating : 3.5 /5
Overall rating: 3.5 / 5
Nav
The first story was great, as was the last. The Haunted House was just awful, towards the end I couldn't even understand it. Maybe it's just me though.
Phillip
Only read this as it contains the story entitled "The Signalman" which is excellent. The other two stories included aren't very good.
Rohit

Just read the first story...that's good enough! Don't even attemp to read the second!! And even the third one is not much good.
Lynn
These ghost stories by Dickens wasn't very good or interesting to me. I'm disappointed! I would have liked some more memorable. Oh well!
Victoria
The only story that I thought was any good at creating ghost story shivers was the first. The other two are pretty meh.
Melanie
Interesting reading...different from my experience with Dickens. I liked the first and last ones the best.
Rike Acop
was expecting a more frightening experience... but no. okay -_-
Mohit Garg
Not much to write book..
A nice small packaged book
John
Liked one and three.
Geitwn
Comme ci comme ca
  • Abbot's Ghost: A Christmas Story
  • Present at a Hanging and Other Ghost Stories
  • Four Weird Tales
  • The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Volume 3 (Large Print Edition)
  • The Gods of Pegana
  • The Red Badge of Courage
  • Books of Blood, Vol. 6
  • A Dog's Tale
  • The Gun
  • The Wisdom of Father Brown (Father Brown, #2)
  • The Hour of the Time
A prolific 19th Century author of short stories, plays, novellas, novels, fiction and non-fiction; during his lifetime Dickens became known the world over for his remarkable characters, his mastery of prose in the telling of their lives, and his depictions of the social classes, morals and values of his times. Some considered him the spokesman for the poor, for he definitely brought much awarenes...more
More about Charles Dickens...
A Tale of Two Cities Great Expectations A Christmas Carol Oliver Twist David Copperfield

“The year was dying early, the leaves were falling fast, it was a raw cold day when we took possession, and the gloom of the house was most depressing. The cook (an amiable woman, but of a weak turn of intellect) burst into tears on beholding the kitchen, and requested that her silver watch might be delivered over to her sister (2 Tuppintock’s Gardens, Liggs’s Walk, Clapham Rise), in the event of anything happening to her from the damp. Streaker, the housemaid, feigned cheerfulness, but was the greater martyr. The Odd Girl, who had never been in the country, alone was pleased, and made arrangements for sowing an acorn in the garden outside the scullery window, and rearing an oak.” 1 likes