Start by marking “Sword of Truth” as Want to Read:
Sword of Truth

Sword of Truth (Wakefield Dynasty #1)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  1,035 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Never in his wildest dreams did Myles Morgan believe he would rise above his commoner upbringing. Then through a tragic twist of fate, he is reunited with the father he never knew: Sir Robert Wakefield, lord and nobleman. Claimed as Wakefield's rightful heir, Myles is thrown into the dizzying life at court, the confusing intrigues of love, and the struggle between King ...more
Published June 18th 1994 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published June 4th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Sword of Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sword of Truth

Loraine
SUMMARY: Two families--the Wakefields of nobility and the lower-class Morgans--are the focus of this sweeping generational saga, joined by intriguing personalities such as Elizabeth I, William Tyndale, and John Bunyan. Linking the people and events through the ages is the struggle of men and women who sought God as the answer to their difficulties.

#1: The Sword of Truth

Myles Morgan's discovery of his noble heritage introduces him to a fascinating new life in the English court and to the politica
Sasha (whispersofthesilentwind)
3.5 Stars
Review to come.
Shantelle
While Sword of Truth told a fine story of serfs and courtiers, spies and heretics, and the strangely unexpectedness of true love during the days of King Henry VIII, it just failed to really pull me in as I love a book to do.

I did like Myles, and was happy to see his story come to a lovely, solid, happy "settle-down". Hannah was also a sweet character. The story had its surprising parts, its interesting parts, its beautiful parts. William Tyndale and the journey of getting the Bible into common
Emily
This was an interesting story, but I found Myles a little too distant and too naive for me to really connect with him. I liked all the historical details, but some of them were a bit off. Forks weren't commonly used in England during this time. The whole "legitimacy is only for the rich" is an exaggeration. The dangers poor women faced that the author described were certainly real, but not to the extent that poor women never married or never knew who the father of their children was. ...more
Wen
Sep 11, 2009 Wen rated it it was amazing
This is the first in a series of books called the Wakefiled Dynasty. This one is set in the time of Henry VIII. The book follows the main character, Myles, from his early years to adulthood. He is torn between court life and helping William Tyndale bring the bible to the masses.
The characters are well written and I really liked how even court life was shown. The author showed how wild and decadent Henrys royal court was without being graphic about it.
It gives a different take/ view of the Tudo
Lauren
Feb 11, 2009 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book and can't wait to read the rest in the series in which I have found out to be six in this particular series. I was born Catholic and have several years ago changed to Protastantism and am now a Methodist church goer. So it was really interesting to read a story about Catholism and Protastantism (spelling?)
Emily
Oct 06, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
I have a weakness for Christian historical fiction. What can I say? I was raised on it. While this book does have some of that overly romantic sentiment, I do think it presents the history of 16th century England well and in an interesting way with the plot he inserts into it. My favorite part about this book is the characters. I felt like I got to know them and want to meet them.
Caitlin
This is more of like a 3.5 rating.

I'm so glad that I was able to borrow this book! I really liked reading about the people living long ago. I especially enjoyed learning about King Henry VIII, his wives, and the royal court. Although the story dragged in a few parts, I felt that overall it was interesting and entertaining.
Nathan
Dec 05, 2008 Nathan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all who enjoy romance and adventure
wow this is a wonderful series. I had a blast reading it then researching about the era it is placed in. a great book on the choices we make and how we can learn from others mistakes, and its about a family's history, which always fun to learn about.
Melissa T
Feb 11, 2010 Melissa T rated it liked it
Another fun Christian romance novel from Kate! I liked the things I read about William Tynsdale in this book, and it makes me want to read more. It's always a plus to learn something when you read a book like this.
Lacy
Feb 12, 2010 Lacy rated it liked it
This is a rather wordy historical fiction told through the perspective of Christians during the reign of Henry VIII. It's full of interesting information and details of life for a servant woman, the middle class, the upper class, and the King's Court.
Elaine
Jul 21, 2011 Elaine rated it really liked it
Wanted to read one of Gilbert Morris's books as my son was reading one of his series. Really liked this first in the Wakefield Dynasty. Plenty of reading in it and a good insight into the history of the day. Mostly set round the story of William Tyndale. A great read.
Adasa
Mar 10, 2016 Adasa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-reads
This book was the beginning of the end of my relationship with the Catholic church. Read it when i was around 15/16 and it opened up so many questions, and when i sought the answers to these questions, let's just say i left a religion that i can never be a part of again.
Diana
Sep 26, 2009 Diana rated it it was amazing
I had to add my favorite historical fiction author! I read this at least 15 years ago, but it was awesome!!!!! Wish I could read more of his books.
Tiffany
Aug 18, 2009 Tiffany rated it really liked it
This book had a little bit of everything. It was not predictable, sweet, and uplifting. Can't wait to read more in this series.
Janine
May 04, 2008 Janine rated it really liked it
Great book dealing with British History during the reign of King Henry the 8th and his break away from the Catholic Church.
Michelle
Sep 18, 2008 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Read this one through my Church's book club. Loved it and want to read the other six!! Great History review of Henry the eighth and the christen movement of the bible to England.
Rachelle Sperling
May 10, 2016 Rachelle Sperling rated it liked it
I highly enjoyed the historical setting of this series and the way historical characters were brought to life alongside the fictional characters that Morris wrote into being.
Jera Gunther
May 24, 2012 Jera Gunther rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book - it is historical fiction set in the time of William Tyndale trying to get the Bible translated into English. It's part of a series and I'll definitely read more of them.
Heather Evans
Oct 22, 2007 Heather Evans rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I loved this book and it helped awaken a love for reading that I had no idea I had. I read the entire series and have began reading all of Morris' book since. LOVE IT!!!!
Sue
Mar 17, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it
The story about a boy growing up in the time of Henry VIII. A strong Christian theme alongside realistically portrayed history. Fast-moving and alive.
Kim
Jul 26, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
I adored this series when I read it as a 13 year old. I'm afraid I'd probably laugh and throw it down if I read them today, but they're part of who I am and I'll always remember them fondly.
Jessica
Sep 17, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 14+
A very interesting look into the times of William Tyndale, Henry VIII, Anne Boleyn and the like. Quite captivating.
Donna
Feb 05, 2010 Donna rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book in the series by far. I honestly didn't think I'd get into a book that was set in the 1500's. But it sucked me in, and then into the series. Couldn't put the book down.
Joy
Jun 14, 2013 Joy added it
It was a twist of romance and royalty. Interesting how they stayed together...shows how love can be strong if you let it
Mikailah
Dec 01, 2014 Mikailah rated it it was amazing
once again, Gilbert Morris flawlessly combines likable, relatable characters and history to create informative and enjoyable books.
Karla
I have read this book before and it is even better the 2nd read. If you want a great series read this one and then move on you will not regret this series.
Liah
Liah rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2014
Sadie-Megin Daniels
Sadie-Megin Daniels rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2016
Carrie
Carrie rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2012
  • Shadow of the Mountains (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #2)
  • Travail and Triumph (The Russians, #3)
  • Kingscote (Heart of India #3)
  • The Dawning of Deliverance (The Russians, #5)
  • The Puritans (American Family Portrait #1)
  • Say to This Mountain (Shiloh Legacy #3)

Wakefield Dynasty (7 books)
  • The Winds of God
  • The Shield of Honor
  • The Fields of Glory (Wakefield Dynasty #4)
  • The Ramparts of Heaven