Start by marking “Prelude to Glory, Vol. 5: A Cold, Bleak Hill” as Want to Read:
Prelude to Glory, Vol. 5: A Cold, Bleak Hill

Prelude to Glory, Vol. 5: A Cold, Bleak Hill (Prelude to Glory #5)

In the Summer of 1777 with an army still half the size of the British forces, General Washington could not survive a head-on battle but could only pick a favorable time and place. After two disappointing defeats and a near disastrous winter at Valley Forge, the American army gets help from two lively characters - Baron Friedrich von Steuben and the Marquis de Lafayette.
Published August 1st 2001 by Bookcraft

To ask other readers questions about Prelude to Glory, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prelude to Glory, Vol. 5

Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
290th out of 503 books — 448 voters
The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.Eldest by Christopher PaoliniThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
The Mesh
28th out of 35 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Cheryl
Oct 11, 2013 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: hf-phd
A Cold, Bleak Hill, the fifth volume of the Prelude to Glory series, focuses on the times in Valley Forge. I continue to learn so much about the Revolutionary War that I have never known before. I am so amazed by the true heroism of these American men and women who suffered so tremendously as they fought to secure liberty and freedom for our nation. These truly are the greatest heroes of all times with none to compare. One also sees the hand of God in the American Revolution as overwhelming odds ...more
Delene
May 08, 2008 Delene rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Delene by: A friend at the Senior Center
I just finished this book last night and I wish to say that if I were teaching American History in the schools. This set of books would be on my list for students to read. I have learned more by reading about the life styles of the Colonists, their thinking, pasttimes, how they perpare for the winter, how the widows tried to bring in income for their families.

It broke my heart to read about Valley Forge. The hungar, the cold, and the feeling of having no hope of survival.

I marveled at the german
Sheila
Oct 21, 2008 Sheila rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
The summer of 1777 proves to be a difficult and discouraging time for General George Washington and his poorly equipped and undisciplined Continental Army. Campaigning along the eastern seaboard, they are pitted against General William Howe and his superbly trained and better provisions British forces. The inspired Americans make a good showing at the battles of Brandywine Creek and Germantown, but in the end they absorb two disappointing defeats. The atrocities suffered by the American in the " ...more
Garry Adams
May 24, 2016 Garry Adams rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed learning details about the revolutionary war I had not known. The novel paints a human picture of many historical figures that makes them more real than just a name in history. I have enjoyed the entire series and look forward to reading the next volume.
Kristin
Feb 05, 2016 Kristin rated it really liked it
I really enjoy learning about this time in history. I can't believe they made it through Valley Forge.
Jenifer
Feb 24, 2008 Jenifer rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this whole series because it allowed me to learn much more about our countries beginnings than I ever learned in school--but I enjoyed it this time. A fictional family and their friends make the journey through the revolutionary war and on into the establishment of the United States government and the rough economic times that followed the war. Book 9 jumps ahead in time to the war of 1812.
Kathi Salter
Jul 12, 2015 Kathi Salter rated it really liked it
This is a 9 book historical fiction series about the Revolutionary War. It is written very well. His writing style is very similar to Gerald Lund's writing style. It gave me even greater respect for our Founding Fathers and all the brave men and women that helped to give us the freedoms we enjoy today. Don't forget to read the footnotes for interesting information.
Karina
Feb 22, 2013 Karina rated it liked it
I actually liked this book more than most of the others. Not sure why. As in all the others, I don't really like the way they author has chosen to deal with the timeline of events. I think I'm finally really liking the characters and their stories, and maybe that's why I'm enjoying it more. Too bad it's taken halfway through the series to get to this point:/.
Kristen Weller
Apr 09, 2011 Kristen Weller rated it it was amazing
Valley Forge- oh my goodness. After reading this book I told my husband that it was obvious that God wanted the Revolution to happen, because it certainly couldn't have been won without His influence. Such humbling circumstances those soldiers were in.
Dan
A fun series with a great mix of well researhed history of the US Revolutionary War (with footnotes) and fictional personal items to bring the story to life. The fictional characters are well placed to bring the story out.
Becky
Nov 28, 2015 Becky rated it it was amazing
Nothing can prepare you for the tragedy of Valley Forge. Our country was built from the sacrifice of the men who served during that fateful winter. You cannot read this book and come away unmoved or ungrateful.
Kim
Jun 23, 2008 Kim rated it really liked it
I loved reading this series! I learned a lot about the revolutionary war. I especially loved the little captions at the end of the chapter telling a little about what happened historically.
Christine
Jul 10, 2009 Christine rated it it was amazing
This is a great series with lots of information that they can't take the time to teach you in school. Very interesting.
Jenny
Mar 09, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed this whole series, discovering the founding of the nation from a "common" persons perspective.
Ann
Dec 03, 2013 Ann added it
Great descriptive passages providing the reader with insights into the trials of the early patriots
Edith Hill
Jun 29, 2013 Edith Hill rated it it was amazing
What an awesome book. I enjoyed reading about Washington and what it took
to save America/
Liesl
Jan 05, 2011 Liesl rated it really liked it
This is a really good series and goes into great detail on the revolutionary war.
Annette
Sep 10, 2009 Annette rated it liked it
This is a great way to learn about a segment of the Revolutionary War (in novel format).
Chris Johnson
Jun 05, 2013 Chris Johnson rated it it was amazing
Love historical fiction and this series of books are about the best I've read.
Kira
Apr 28, 2008 Kira rated it it was amazing
This series was so amazing to help me grasp the feel for the Revolutionary War.
Melissa
Jan 15, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Too much war not enough story. But I liked learning about the time period.
Lisa
Oct 22, 2007 Lisa rated it it was ok
The history is interesting, but there is way too much detail in these books!
Justin Metcalf
Aug 15, 2012 Justin Metcalf rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2002
Outstanding. The greatest, most gripping novel of the series.
Vicky Gallman
Jan 14, 2009 Vicky Gallman rated it it was amazing
Loved the story line and historical nature of this series.
Nov 11, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
Masterful and amazing. This series is beautifully done.
Sharleen
Aug 17, 2013 Sharleen rated it it was amazing
I think this was the best in the series so far!
BCoats(gov)
Jun 13, 2015 BCoats(gov) rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed the history very much.
Clarica
Aug 26, 2010 Clarica added it
Shelves: historical
Another marvelous book in the series!
Stefie
Jul 22, 2008 Stefie rated it it was amazing
And then there were more! Even better!
Francie
Jul 15, 2013 Francie rated it really liked it
Great historical novel series.
  • Faith of Our Fathers: One Nation Under God (Volume Four)
  • So Much of Life Ahead (Hearts of the Children, #5)
  • Come Unto Me (The Kingdom and the Crown #2)
  • Pillar of Fire (The Promised Land, #1)
  • 'Til the Boys Come Home: A World War I Novel
Ron Carter was born in Salt Lake City and reared in Twin Falls, Idaho. He served received a bachelor’s degree in industrial management from Brigham Young University. He received a juris doctor degree in 1962 after attending the law schools at George Washington University and the University of Utah. Recently he has been a research and writing director for the Superior Court system of Los Angeles Co ...more
More about Ron Carter...

Prelude to Glory (9 books)
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 1: Our Sacred Honor