Start by marking “Prince Rupert: The Last Cavalier” as Want to Read:
Prince Rupert: The Last Cavalier

Prince Rupert: The Last Cavalier

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Prince Rupert is best known as the poster boy of the Royalist cause. He was the dynamic leader of Charles I's Cavaliers – the fearless champion of the King.

In this new exploration Charles Spencer follows the prince from his exile and three years a prisoner of war, to his exhilarating years in the Civil War.

After Royalist defeat Rupert served Louis XIV, before leading Charl
Published July 1st 2008 by Phoenix (first published June 12th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Prince Rupert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prince Rupert

Nic
There isn't, technically, a map at the front, but there are several maps, and they serve the map-in-the-front purpose, so . . . so there. Also, not an actual selection of the SILS book club, but the club chose Biography/Memoir for this month's reading theme, and I picked this one because I remembered Prince Rupert of the Rhine as an intriguing figure in my awesome Stuart England class from undergrad.

Which memory, by the way, was spot-on. This exhaustively researched and well-cited book follows R
Grady McCallie
It's hard to imagine this biography of Prince Rupert being much use to anyone who isn't already interested in the English Civil War or Restoration Eras. For anyone who is, however, it offers a very sympathetic portrait of a figure who usually shows up on the periphery of standard accounts. Spencer tells the story well, tracing Rupert's service in European Wars; on behalf of the ill-fated Charles I; as a pirate during the Interregnum; and as a cousin of King Charles II after 1660. While Spencer a ...more
Just A. Bean
The book certainly gave a nice look at the wider politics of the time, and where Rupert fit into them, which I appreciated, and Rupert himself led such a varied and interesting life that that had to hold one's attention.

However, the book spent too much time on the Civil War years, which dragged, and the author got, at times, very defensive of Rupert and went to great lengths to excuse his flaws and bad behaviour and make his rivals look bad. I get the urge to side with your guy, as it were, but
R.M.F Brown
What should a good man be? Posed Marcus Aurelius centuries ago.

Rupert, like Bismarck and Churchill after him, appear to have spent their whole lives seeking to answer this question at every opportunity. Their devotion to duty, a love of adventure over an ease of life, their calculated gambling in the best Nietzschean tradition, their refusal to die or even to surrender when the odds were against them...

All of this portrays driven men determined to make their mark on life, determined to answer th
Tony Pedley
Prince Rupert was involved in some of the pivotal moments of British and European history. Despite that he is not widely known. This book sets this right by painting a picture of a extraordinary man in extraordinary times.

Although Prince Rupert is most widely known for his part in the English Civil War, this part of his life actually only takes up 4 chapters. If anything this shows what a long and varying life the Prince had. Anyone with an interest in the civil war who is put off by this should
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘It is hard to believe that one man packed so much into a single lifetime.’

Prince Rupert of the Rhine, grandson of King James I of England, was a famed warrior on the royalist side in the English civil war. Prince Rupert was born on 17 December, 1619 in Prague, Bohemia (now in the Czech Republic) and died on November 29, 1682 in London England. His parents, Elizabeth and Frederick (the Elector Palatine) were briefly king and queen of Bohemia but were ejected when Rupert, their third child and se
Sally Moore
Charles Spencer is one of my favourite non-fiction writers, and this biography is very good. Rupert was a fascinating person, and his life was never easy. Spencer's writing style is so readable, it feels like you are reading an adventure story, but the facts and sources are thoroughly presented and examined. I read this several months ago, but it feels like yesterday because the events are so vividly rendered, and Rupert's life and challenges so poignant.
Lezley
I enjoyed every minute I spent reading this book. I've always had a soft spot for Richard III and now he has competition....Prince Rupert. What an incredible man! He never stopped moving, thinking, researching, inventing, and exploring. I look forward to more books by Charles Spencer because his non-fiction is more exciting than most authors' fiction.
Stevie Carroll
I may have a new favourite Prince Rupert biography. Rather light on the Prince's pre-reformation loves but more in depth than other single volumes on his adventures after the execution of Charles I. Another book I need to get my own copy of.
Abigail Hartman
A well-written and fairly even-handed biography of Rupert, who is best known for his role in England's Civil War. It would have been nice had Spencer given a brief background to that conflict and introduced the reader a little more thoroughly to the figures on the Parlimentarian side (he obviously has little love for Cromwell - hardly surprising). I would not call the book "riveting;" some sections dragged, since Rupert did little of significance after the war. Still, it was, on the whole, instr ...more
Maureen
I read this after I found out that my husband's family is descended from this man. I had no idea who he was, but he was a pretty fascinating guy. The biography is enthralling in parts. It did spend most of the book during the English Civil War, which is understandable, but I did wish for a little more background of other parts of his life. I enjoyed this, and I'll hold onto it in case my kids ever want to read up on their ancestor.
Jill Hutchinson
An excellent biography of the last Cavalier, written by Charles, Earl Spencer. Prince Rupert fought for the Royalists as Charles I was being overthrown in the Civil War. He continued to be a supporter of the royal dynasty even after the King was executed. He came back to England when Charles II took the throne and was a respected advisor to the King. A very interesting man in a time of unrest and revolution in England. Recommended.
Becky
This was a well written biog. of an interesting character, my olny complaint is that the book did focus on the period of the English Civil War, to the detriment of the long and eventful life Rupert lived after this period. It is obvious to focus on this action packed period of course but I did feel that the post civil war period was not covered in such great depth because of this.
Stella Riley
Informative, enjoyable and easy to read but not the best biography of Rupert. Personally, I prefer the one by Patrich Morrah. At times, I felt Spencer was relying too much on primary quotes and not enough on insight.
Yury Lyandres
Принц Руперт "Рейнский": доблестный полковник, гордый генерал, рисковый капер, непотичный адмирал. Холостяк и один из отцов-основателей "Компании Гудзонова Залива".
Mary
I have learnt a bit more about the civil war and Prince Rupert, but too much detail about all the warfare he was involved in.
Endeavour Press
This book is published by Endeavour Press
Sheryl Miller
Sheryl Miller is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Mike Mitchell
Mike Mitchell marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Mir
Mir marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Dan Story
Dan Story marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Laura added it
Jul 08, 2015
Carolyn  Tornatore
Carolyn Tornatore is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2015
Greg
Greg is currently reading it
Jun 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

Charles Edward Maurice Spencer, 9th Earl Spencer, DL is the second and only surviving son of John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer and the Honourable Frances Roche (later Frances Shand Kydd), daughter of the 4th Baron Fermoy. The youngest of his three older sisters was Diana, Prin
More about Charles Spencer...
Killers of the King: The Men Who Dared to Execute Charles I Blenheim Althorp: The Story of an English House The Spencers: A Personal History of an English Family The Spencer Family