Start by marking “What Color Is a Conservative?: My Life and My Politics” as Want to Read:
What Color Is a Conservative?: My Life and My Politics

What Color Is a Conservative?: My Life and My Politics

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The paperback edition of the inspirational story of the first black to hold a Republican leadership position—J.C. Watts, Jr.
Published November 11th 2003 by Harper Perennial (first published November 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about What Color Is a Conservative?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Color Is a Conservative?

Charles Jones
I found it ironic that on the same day that political leaders are dealing with the insightful idiocy that was Harry Reid’s “Negro dialect” comments recorded in Mark Halperin’s new book Game Change,I finished reading the memoir of a dark-skinned black Republican who grew up with bellbottoms and an afro; I’m pretty sure there’s some “Negro dialect” in his background. That Republican is former Oklahoma Congressman J. C. Watts.

To this point I’ve only known Watts as, essentially, Sean Hannity’s favor
Larry Thacker Jr.
It made me curious to find out what if anything he is saying now that things have changes so much since he wrote this.
Darla
Excellent, easily accessible read. Much more open and warm than Justice Thomas' writings. Congressman Watts is frank about his politics and how he came to believe as he does, aligning himself with Conservatives, not Liberals b/c they hold his same values (and that of many blacks who insist on clinging to he Democrat party!) Watts also gives some great insight and challenges to both parties in the end.
Peggy
I always loved JC as a fellow republican so when I saw his bio, figured I'd give it a shot, and I really, truly enjoyed the stories he told. Not much older than me, he came from a place so totally different than where I did, and I admire his "rising above it" - all of it. This was a great story and an easy read. Highly recommend.
Lee Ann
This is a standard political memoir. It's better than most. It is interesting and gives a good sense of the man. It's “dictated” style lets Watts' voice come through. The best parts were on his early life and his entrance into politics. He comes from quite a family.
Carl
Good Read... who would have known J.C. Watts father was one of the countries earliest house flippers, and an accomplished landlord :)
Java Davis
First third: Loved it. Second third: Liked it. Third third: Skimmed through quickly.
David Lockwood
David Lockwood marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Steve Draft-Peppin
Steve Draft-Peppin marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Josh
Josh added it
Aug 02, 2013
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2013
Katz!
Katz! marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Dionne
Dionne marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Aprylle
Aprylle marked it as to-read
May 29, 2013