Start by marking “What Color Is a Conservative?: My Life and My Politics” as Want to Read:
What Color Is a Conservative?: My Life and My Politics

What Color Is a Conservative?: My Life and My Politics

The paperback edition of the inspirational story of the first black to hold a Republican leadership position—J.C. Watts, Jr.
Published November 11th 2003 by Harper Perennial (first published November 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about What Color Is a Conservative?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Color Is a Conservative?

Todd Stockslager
Jun 08, 2015 Todd Stockslager rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
With Chriss Winston

So five years after J. C. Watts retired from Congress and returned to private life, in the midst of the Obama revolution in American politics, the better question for this book in 2008 might be: "Where is J. C. Watts?" His removal from the public eye, to the casual observer, appears to have been remarkably successful (unlike those athletes who retire to "spend more time with their family" and instead spend more time on Entertainment Tonight!). So googling his name, I find that
Deborah
Very interesting story by JC Watts chronicling life and politics.
Charles Jones
Jan 12, 2010 Charles Jones rated it liked it
I found it ironic that on the same day that political leaders are dealing with the insightful idiocy that was Harry Reid’s “Negro dialect” comments recorded in Mark Halperin’s new book Game Change,I finished reading the memoir of a dark-skinned black Republican who grew up with bellbottoms and an afro; I’m pretty sure there’s some “Negro dialect” in his background. That Republican is former Oklahoma Congressman J. C. Watts.

To this point I’ve only known Watts as, essentially, Sean Hannity’s favor
Darla
Jan 14, 2010 Darla rated it really liked it
Excellent, easily accessible read. Much more open and warm than Justice Thomas' writings. Congressman Watts is frank about his politics and how he came to believe as he does, aligning himself with Conservatives, not Liberals b/c they hold his same values (and that of many blacks who insist on clinging to he Democrat party!) Watts also gives some great insight and challenges to both parties in the end.
Peggy
Nov 25, 2012 Peggy rated it really liked it
I always loved JC as a fellow republican so when I saw his bio, figured I'd give it a shot, and I really, truly enjoyed the stories he told. Not much older than me, he came from a place so totally different than where I did, and I admire his "rising above it" - all of it. This was a great story and an easy read. Highly recommend.
Lee Ann
Jun 24, 2009 Lee Ann rated it liked it
Shelves: history
This is a standard political memoir. It's better than most. It is interesting and gives a good sense of the man. It's “dictated” style lets Watts' voice come through. The best parts were on his early life and his entrance into politics. He comes from quite a family.
Carl
Mar 31, 2008 Carl rated it liked it
Good Read... who would have known J.C. Watts father was one of the countries earliest house flippers, and an accomplished landlord :)
Larry Thacker Jr.
Mar 30, 2014 Larry Thacker Jr. rated it liked it
It made me curious to find out what if anything he is saying now that things have changes so much since he wrote this.
Kelli
Kelli rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2013
Steven Banks
Steven Banks rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2013
elizabeth a taylor
elizabeth a taylor rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2017
Phillip
Phillip rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2010
Charlie
Charlie rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
Marvin
Marvin rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2009
Devin
Devin rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Aug 14, 2012
WALLY GARLAND
WALLY GARLAND rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2014
Caroltis
Caroltis rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2009
Chris Hultgren
Chris Hultgren rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2014
Dave
Dave rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2008
Keely Godwin
Keely Godwin rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Andy Biggs
Andy Biggs rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2009
Justin Holt
Justin Holt rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2011
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2012
Mark Trujillo
Mark Trujillo rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2015
Jeff
Jeff rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2012
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2009
William
William rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2009
Fayola
Fayola rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2009