Start by marking “Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics” as Want to Read:
Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics

Sew What! Skirts: 16 Simple Styles You Can Make with Fabulous Fabrics

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  557 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Discover how fun it is to create these simple, colorful skirts. Sew What! Skirts assumes no prior sewing experience and doesn’t slow you down with complicated instructions or patterns. The authors offer up16 great styles, includingA-line,circle, wraparound,gored panel,tiered, layered, and more. All it takes to get started is basic body measurements (no needto buya pattern) ...more
Spiral-bound, 128 pages
Published September 1st 2006 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Sew What! Skirts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sew What! Skirts

Bend-the-Rules Sewing by Amy KarolSew What! Skirts by Francesca DenHartogLotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing by Lotta JansdotterPolymer Clay Creative Traditions by Judy BelcherStitch 'n Bitch Crochet by Debbie Stoller
Desert Island List
2nd out of 46 books — 14 voters
Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet by Debbie StollerComplete Guide to Sewing by Reader's Digest AssociationThe Creative Family by Amanda Blake SouleStitch 'n Bitch by Debbie StollerCreepy Cute Crochet by Christen Haden
Best Craft Books
29th out of 31 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Sally
I totally want to make myself a skirt or 2 from this book because nothing fits plus size petite gals! The instructions are easy, well written and illustrated and fun.
Josephine
I wish I could give this book 3 1/2 stars. I really liked the idea and concept of this book, but I ran into some frustrations with it. I made two skirts fromt this book. The first was a drawstring A-line skirt. It turned out pretty good, but I didn't know how wide to make the bottom and they didn't suggest how wide you should make it because they encourage you to "just experiment" and "do it how you like it". Well, if I've never sewn a skirt before I'm kind of at loss for how big to make it. My ...more
Elizabeth
This was not what I thought it was going to be.

This is a beginner book for people who don't want to use patterns. If you are already past the early beginner stage or the thought of sewing without a pattern terrifies you, then this book is probably not for you.

I was looking for a book that would help me create a skirt that fits me well without a ton of trial and error. I don't want to get to the point in my skirt construction that i am having to add extra darts or more fabric to make it fit...
Kelly
This book gives you a number of skirt styles on which to base your own skirt pattern.

Most of the skirts featured are not long but can be modified to be so. You'll want to make sure that if you're making the skirt longer that you adjust it just right. For instance, with the wrap skirt, I found that the longer you make it, the bulkier and wider (too wide) it becomes, but that the material is not enough to provide modest, no leg-show coverage. Thankfully, I noticed these things before buying and cu
Jayme
This was a good basic project book. I liked a few of the skirts and all of them gave me ideas for other skirts that could be made based on these designs. Definitely a good book for anyone who's not a super star sewer and who's looking for some great easy project ideas that don't require a pattern. The beginning of the book explaining how to go about making skirts without a pattern is great as well.
Meg
This is definitely a beginner's book, which I am. Having never tried working off of a pattern, I can't really say that this (only using whim and you're own measurements) is the better or easier way of doing things. I have to say being a beginner, there didn't really seem to be much explanation on to how much flare should be measured in because it was all about doing what you want (but how do you know if that is what you want if you're a beginner?).

I will however, be using tips and the informati
Lise
Sew What! Skirts is a clever book. The authors teach a framework for creating template patterns for a variety of basic skirt styles (including A-line, wrap, circle, straight and layered skirt styles), which you can personalize with your choices of fabrics, trim and other design elements. It's a fun and simple system, even for beginners. Some of the designs are quite clever - I've been inspired to dig out a few vintage tablecloths and re-style them as skirts. Some, like the Barbie Dream Skirt and ...more
Jacel Jones
Recommend for any level sewer, great tutorials that covers some basics information for beginners. I like it for nderstanding how to formulate pattern shapes for different styles and tends.
Molly
They had me at the intro where the explained the projects were arranged "from easiest to easy."

There is a very good intro with solid info on getting your hip to waist measurements right so that these skirts you labor over actually fit you properly.

I liked the retro graphics used to introduce chapters and concepts.

Projects I liked and will hopefully make some day:

- Meandering Vines
- Got No Ties (wrap skirt w/o ties)
- Polka Dotty
- Country Charm
- Nature's Child

I also love the generous use of ric-r
Carey McDonald
This summer, I've discovered the domestic goddess within. Don't laugh, I'm serious. Have been trying to teach myself how to sew to some (arguable) success. This book promises that I, too, can sew fabulous-looking skirts without even using a store-bought pattern! How cool is that?!? The book is full of helpful tips and explanations for the beginning sewer--it's got me all psyched to fill my closet with custom-made A-lines in groovy fabrics. And for my friends here on this site--I think we all kno ...more
Marjanne
Jun 21, 2009 Marjanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: seamstresses who don't like patterns
Shelves: cook-sew-etc
The best part of this book is that it shows you how to create a handful of basic skirts without using a pattern (though really it's just making your own unique pattern). The skirts themselves aren't anything amazing, basic A-line skirts, circle skirts, peasant skirts, etc. Surely most women would recognize the styles. But I love that you can really make them your own. They are fairly versatile and, really, it's often the fabric that makes the skirt, not so much the pattern. I may actually buy th ...more
Holly
If you've already done some straightforward sewing projects and know how to follow a pattern, this will be a bit easier. Also, as you experiment with creating your own patterns, it's worth doing a muslin (or a mockup with some other inexpensive, reasonably stable fabric). Getting the fit right is a bit harder than they make it out to be, particularly for a fitted skirt. Once you have this down, the book is an incredibly liberating tool; you'll never have to worry about finding the exact pattern ...more
Alison
This was OK. The gist of the book is that you don't need to buy a pattern to make a skirt. The author shows how to create a basic template for a skirt that's custom-fit, and then shows several patterns that start off from those basic shapes and go in different directions to get you started. I didn't find any of the designs particularly inspiring. I have also been finding that, right now at least, I'm not at a point with my sewing where I can forgo using patterns (heck even with patterns I am hav ...more
Heidi
This book teaches how to make your own skirt pattern and how to modify it to get a variety of different looks. I like that I now know how to make almost any kind of skirt I want and that I can customize to make it exactly how I'd like rather than trying to find a pattern close to my idea. There are two basic patterns--an a-line skirt and a pencil skirt. The book also covers a circle skirt, but it is not the basis of many variations. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to sew a skirt.
Afton Nelson
This is a well written, encouraging book on how to make darling skirts. The directions are clear and there are lots of little tips that will surely make things like sewing in zippers and making button holes much less intimidating. The skirts start out very simple and have variations on each design. I will be happy to raise the rating to a 5 if my first few skirts turn out to be as awesome as the book makes me think they will be.
KJ
Mar 20, 2009 KJ added it
Hmmmm the format of this book is awesome! Each skirt project is laid out with color photos and clear how to drawings. However, there are no patterns and the book kinda assumes you can make it all happen with tailor's chalk and guts. I just bought two yards of very expensive japanese fabric to make my favorite skirt idea, that has an asian flair. I am DEFINITELY going to go with this project to my sewing teacher!
Kelly
I checked this out from the library, but might have to buy it. The sewing terms are defined well. The book teaches how to make a simple pattern so that you can make the skirts in this book that will fit YOU. We made simple wrap skirts to start and they turned out so cute. Looking forward to trying some more of the projects in this book! A great book to motivate you and/or your kids to learn a new skill!
Dixie
I used the ease formula in this book to adapt the measurements from the A-line skirt class on creativebug.
Amanda
I love skirts. Don't ask me why--I just do. This book makes it easy to make skirts without having to buy a pattern. I already know how to sew reasonably well, so that helps too. This book is full of cute ideas. All you have to do is find the right fabric and you're set. This isavailable at the Davis Co. Library if you're curious.
Kricket
the skirts in this book are a little too badonkers for my personal style. there are also no patterns in the book, and i'm not ready to go pattern-free. however, the basic instructions for putting skirts together (found at the beginning of the book) should come in handy. i hope. i'll let you know after i try my first zipper.
Aileen
Interesting well thought out very helpful for a non sewer, good basic information
mathilda_craft
Oct 24, 2008 mathilda_craft marked it as to-read
Shelves: crafts
I'm determined to make some new skirts for my wardrobe. If I can't find what I picture in my head, then I'll make it. Hopefully my sewing will improve... with a little work.

I've been inspired by an old collegue. She made a skirt out of ties and I was very impressed with her creativity. :)
Holly Booms Walsh
Nov 27, 2007 Holly Booms Walsh rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning clothing sewers
Shelves: crafting
This book really inspired me and I cannot wait to try making a skirt (or six!). I read it through but have not had the chance to attempt making anything yet, so I'll leave it at fours tars for inspiration and revise this review if the instructions aren't all they are cracked up to be...
Nan
There are better beginning sewing books out there, with more information and the same basic patterns. I'd recommend something more comprehensive for a beginner (like SEW U or Diana Rupp's book). If you're not a beginner, this book will be too basic for you.
Jeannette
Jan 02, 2008 Jeannette rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginning and experienced sewers alike
Shelves: craft-sewing
Sew what! Skirts take you through 16 different skirt styles, instructing you how to make your own pattern by taking your own measurements. It's guaranteed to fit. It has simple enough instructions that even the most novice can benefit.
Stacey
I got a copy of this book using a gift certificate I got for my birthday. I gave up on trying to get it from the library. I am so inspired to create fun skirts and want to drop all of my other projects and start sewing.
Charlie
Its soooooo good! I love it! I want to make every single skirt in the book! The good thing about it is that you create the pattern to your unique size. I highly recommend it to everyone who loves to sew.
Amanda Stephan
If you like to sew skirts, yet hate having to buy patterns, this is THE book you need. Marvelous that I can make a skirt for both myself and my daughter without having a tissue pattern! Kudos to the author!
I didn't actually sew anything from this book before I had to return it but it looked useful and I've got it marked to check out again this summer when I will hopefully have more time to sew!
Marsha
Excellent explanation of creating your own pattern. Interesting examples to imitate or inspire. Intructions are clear and easy to follow with plenty of images to clarify tricky parts.
  • Sew U: The Built by Wendy Guide to Making Your Own Wardrobe
  • Sew What! Bags: 18 Pattern-Free Projects You Can Customize to Fit Your Needs
  • Bend-the-Rules Sewing: The Essential Guide to a Whole New Way to Sew
  • Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching
  • Design-It-Yourself Clothes: Patternmaking Simplified
  • Amy Butler's In Stitches: More Than 25 Simple and Stylish Sewing Projects
  • Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing: Patterns and How-To for 24 Fresh and Easy Projects
  • "A" Is for Apron: 25 Fresh & Flirty Designs
  • Sew Serendipity: Fresh and Pretty Designs to Make and Wear
  • Sew Liberated: 20 Stylish Projects for the Modern Sewist
  • Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects
  • Zakka Sewing: 25 Japanese Projects for the Household
  • Simple Sewing with a French Twist: An Illustrated Guide to Sewing Clothes and Home Accessories with Style
  • Sewing Green: Projects and Ideas for Stitching with Organic, Repurposed, and Recycled Fabrics
  • Last-Minute Patchwork + Quilted Gifts