Start by marking “Swan Road” as Want to Read:
Swan Road

Swan Road

Standing on the cliff edge, Rhowenna let her black hair blow wildly in the sea wind, knowing the time for her destiny had come. Her gift of the Welsh "second sight" had brought a vivid vision of her future: one of a man far more passionate than the callous English prince who was her betrothed. Her true fate must be with the raiding Norseman on the red-sailed ship she saw c ...more
Published April 25th 1994 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Swan Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swan Road

Erin
''Swan Road'' By Rebecca Brendewyne has a realistic view of vikings-their way of life and their customs etc. But what really interested me was the romance between the heroine,Rhowenna and Hero,Wulfgar.
First of all, Find me a viking as sweet and endearing as Wulfgar-anyone? No? Okay.
This Guy does EVERYTHING for Rhowenna-EVERYTHING. He is more then willing to give up all he owns for her, and loves her from the moment he lays eyes on her.

The heroine, Rhowenna, who is often confused about her feel
Regan Walker
Dec 24, 2013 Regan Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads, vikings
Exciting Viking Saga Incorporating Real Historical Events!

Set in 865-866 A.D., this is the story of Wulfgar Bloodaxe, the bastard son of a Norse king who, with the advice of the “wise woman” who raised him, rises to claim his place among his people as a jarl. When Wulfgar learns that Rhowenna, Princess of Usk (in Wales) has been betrothed to the Prince of Mercia, he goes down the “Swan Road,” (the path the swans take flying south to the southern isles) to capture and hold her for ransom. Rhowenn
Lorka
Jul 12, 2015 Lorka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF - Ok I got about 60 pages into this book and I had to stop. I don't know if it was the writing or the actual story that bothered me. I right off the bat did not like all the background info that went on and on and on. So much info just to set the story up. I got bored really quickly and just wanted to get the story started already, geez. Another thing that bothered me, that never has before with Viking stories, was all the different mythical gods being described. So many different names to r ...more
Nessa
Mar 07, 2016 Nessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If this could be made into a film, it would be much more exciting to watch, especially the "mating dance" between Rhowenna and the Viking. And not to mention the gory bloodshed scenes.

I am rather fond of our HERO who is a brave, determined man who goes for what he wants and seizes it without fear. Especially when he repeatedly professes his love and lust for Rhowenna. Let's just say that his honesty is to be applauded for, even if it is considered crude in his time. Heck I think 21st century wom
ms bookjunkie
Jul 20, 2013 ms bookjunkie rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, romance, 2014
Old skool viking romance with a non-alphole, open-to-his-feelings hero. How…refreshing. Old skool beautiful, exquisitely competent heroine, but what can you expect? On the one hand, kind of fascinating. On the other hand…eek!

Warning: Contains problematic elements, including rape (though not of heroine because that would be bad *eyeroll*) and the "question" does rape matter if the rapee wasn't a virgin? *eyeroll till my eyes pop out of their sockets* All groups are "delightfully" and evenly cultu
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Aug 23, 2015 Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: thrifted
Ebon haired Welsh woman Rhowenna (LOVE THAT name!) has the gift of second sight, and with it she knows the certainty of her future. She knows for certain that her true destiny lies with the beautiful, blonde, buff, Viking hottie who is making her dreams hot. She knows her future is not with her actual betrothed; an English ass, a poncey prince.
The wild raiding Norseman wends his way into Rhowenna's heart, wanting her to be his wife, and they live happily as they sail off in his Viking ship...!!
Isabelle
Mar 13, 2016 Isabelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting historical context, based on a Viking legend. I enjoyed a lot more than I expected. Kept me interested to the end, I especially liked finding more about Vikings and their culture which of course was barbaric and cruel but they were also fearless and enjoyed the arts. Overall, a very satisfying read.
adoree
Jul 24, 2012 adoree rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Lu, il y a fort longtemps. Déjà à l'époque, je trouvais que le héros était très dur et l'héroïne une fausse femme de tête (comme les romances savent en pondre).
Définitivement pas ma tasse de thé. Mais ce n'est pas archi mauvais. Il y a un beau travail de recherche historique chez l'auteur.
Pour celle qui aime les amours à la "dur".
2 étoiles.
Pamela(AllHoney)
I felt this was a well written novel but the story itself seemed to move rather slow for me. I thought the author put a lot of work into creating a realistic world and the characters were well-developed. I want to give it more stars but I just can't.
Ann
Dec 12, 2015 Ann rated it really liked it
I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised by this story. I enjoyed it immensely! I was expecting more of a sappy romance; however, this story had it all: love, romance, battles, adventure, and intrigue. I also enjoyed the historical facts intertwined within.
Mydearloverboy
Mar 29, 2013 Mydearloverboy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
one of the best viking romance novels I have read!
A definite keeper...but an abrupt ending...I wish there was a more "complete" ending I guess..

I really loved the beautiful lines that Wulfgar delivers...so romantique;)

Overall, 5++ stars;)
Martha
Jun 14, 2015 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Swoon .... Shing!!!
4,5 Stars!
Ladyvixen
pas mal mais elle m'a habituée à mieux.
Marie
Dec 02, 2013 Marie rated it really liked it
A little wordy in the descriptive paragraphs of settings/food which I tended to glaze over for the meaty parts. A very good story.
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2012
Michelle Ladner
Michelle Ladner rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
Stephania Galeas
Stephania Galeas rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2013
Pattie Jo
Pattie Jo rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2014
Davina
Davina rated it liked it
Jun 12, 2013
Savitha
Savitha rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2012
Gina
Gina rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2012
Tina
Tina rated it liked it
May 18, 2011
Tracy Deblois talley
Tracy Deblois talley rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2012
Michelle Mccranie
Michelle Mccranie rated it liked it
May 18, 2011
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2017
Shelley Low
Shelley Low rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2013
Wendy,  Lady Evelyn Quince
Wendy, Lady Evelyn Quince rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2010
Lucille
Lucille rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2012
Tiggersnoop4
Tiggersnoop4 rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Penny Hathaway
Penny Hathaway rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Viking!
  • Sea Jewel (Viking Trilogy, #1)
  • Tara's Song
  • The Pagan's Prize (Captive Brides #3)
  • Edin's Embrace
  • Night Wind's Woman (Santa Fe Trilogy, #1)
  • My Lord Conqueror
  • Lady Of Fire (Fire, #1)
  • The Viking's Woman (Viking, #2)
  • Bond of Blood
  • Uncommon Vows
  • Escape Not My Love
  • Love a Dark Rider
  • Angel in Scarlet
  • The Taming (Cameron, #1)
  • Nightsong
  • Knight's Caress
  • The Darkest Heart
20965
Born in Knoxville, Tennessee, Rebecca lived in Knoxville and then, later, Chattanooga for the first few years of her life. After that, she and her family moved to Kansas, where she grew up, spending her summers in Alabama, visiting both sets of her grandparents. She says she's just a country girl with a dash of big city sprinkled in for spice. But having traveled extensively in the United States, ...more
More about Rebecca Brandewyne...