Start by marking “Abiding Darkness: A Novel (The Black or White Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Abiding Darkness: A Novel (The Black or White Chronicles, #1)

Abiding Darkness: A Novel (The Black or White Chronicles #1)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  122 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
"Turmoil comes to what was peaceful Mississippi cotton county in 1945 when good and evil go to war at Cat Lake. Missy and Bobby Parker, white children from a privileged family, and Junior Washington, their black friend, are caught in the epicenter of the first battle.
In the aftermath, Missy takes up a life mission that fuels the fire of aggression in the evil lurking in th
Published August 23rd 2006 by Warner Faith (first published August 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Abiding Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abiding Darkness

Erin
Jun 03, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
A great Christian fiction on Spiritual Warfare.
Paul J.
Sep 14, 2007 Paul J. rated it really liked it
I have a big pile of books to read. By and large, I tackle them in the order I get them. Lately, fiction has been in the minority on my bookshelves.

I had never heard of Anderson, or this “Black Or White” trilogy. A few days ago, I cracked open the first book, “Abiding Darkness“…mainly because I was a bit tired of reading theology.

And only a few days later, I’ve finished it. That should tell you something.

Anderson is originally from Mississippi, and he sets this book in the cotton country of his
Michele
Feb 02, 2008 Michele rated it liked it
This in an Advance Reader Copy that I won through Bookreporter.com

There was turmoil in Mississippi in 1945. Race relations were tense, money segregated, and good versus evil went to war at Cat Lake. Missy Parker, a wealthy young white girl of just seven, is the target of a horrific attack. After her best friend, the son of a black sharecropper, saves her by giving his own life, she takes on a life mission she wont truly comprehend for years to come. As the families of these two children realize
Terri Timonen
Feb 14, 2014 Terri Timonen rated it did not like it
Embarrassed to give a one-star review since I should've known better and stopped reading it the moment I realized how much I disliked it. But the reading challenge only gives you credit for completed books and not "pages read" so I suffered through it.

My entire review can be summed up with an alternate title that is most befitting:

Christian Evangelism for Dummies: 0100
The remedial step-by-step guide to using Bible-Thumping power to successfully convert non-Christians.

And as a practicing Christia
Mariola Turnbough
Sep 24, 2008 Mariola Turnbough rated it it was amazing
This was a wonderful book. I really really enjoyed it.
Amy
Jul 27, 2011 Amy rated it liked it
I dont know where to start on thsi review. THIS BOOK WAS WONDERFUL. When the author is talented enought to make you feel the emotion in the book whether its love, fear or whatever you know the book is goign to be great. I am so glad that i was reading this book alone in my room during certain chapters becausr the motion was so high I had tears streaming down my cheeks. I did not want to put this book down at all. I was hooked from the first papragraph. I started this book Friday at about 11 am. ...more
Todd Greene
Feb 12, 2008 Todd Greene rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adults, teens
When I received my copy of John Aubrey Anderson's debut novel, Abiding Darkness, in the mail I was really excited. Anyone who's an avid reader knows the history of excellent southern writers. It's a huge pair of shoes to have to walk in. I know I'm one of those southern writers still hoping to break into the market and have my own books on the self.

Anderson does not disappoint with this haunting tale of angels and demons at work in the lives of some common folks of Mississippi. These are folks y
Deb
on one level this is the story of a headstrong young girl--missy parker--and the struggles she undergoes as she grows up in the south just after wwii. on another level it pulls back the curtain and allows the reader to peek into the unseen spiritual world. you see from the time of missy's youth she has been a target--a target for demonic forces who want to destroy her and those who love her. missy and those around her also suspect the involvement of forces that they can't see, as unusual events ...more
Estelle
Aug 08, 2011 Estelle rated it really liked it
I REALLY liked this book. The author is a magnificent and gifted thinker. I believe there is so much going on in the "third realm" and we are oblivious to it. It is good to be reminded that their are angels watching over us and there is the devil forever trying to frustrate us and trying to get the best of us through our unruly emotions. Once we realize that, when someone hurts us it is easier to simply say. "It was cruel of you to say that." instead of having an emotional temper tantrum. The bo ...more
Nancy
Apr 02, 2016 Nancy rated it it was amazing
This book, number one in the Black and White series is so awesome. I just finished the last of the 3 and didn't want it to end. I pray he writes more in the series.
The characters become part of the family. I want to know more!
The fight is so real...and those that know about it, know that this could be nonfiction!
Carol
Oct 10, 2015 Carol rated it it was ok
As much as I believe and understand the proselytization this book is trying to impart, I don't appreciate it being crammed down my throat. I don't know if there was one whole paragraph sans Jesus-loves-you message. The story was fine - it was just too saturated with the message and that distracted from the experience.
Melissa
Sep 12, 2014 Melissa rated it it was ok
2.5 stars White vs black. Good vs evil. Set in 40s and 50s, mostly about spiritual warfare. Heavy storyline.
Linda
Nov 14, 2008 Linda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: friends who love Southern authors, a good story, and Christian fiction.
Recommended to Linda by: gift from the author for our library
This book is a good read. I loved the setting, the characters, and the rural Southern storyline. Although I have a difficult time reading visual descriptions of spiritual warfare (as in Frank Peretti's books), I pushed myself to stick with this book to its conclusion and now can't wait to order the 2 other books in the series! Thank you Mr. Anderson for a good read with a sound Christian message!
"To know Him and to make Him known."
Linda Armstrong, Librarian
Cornerstone Christian School
24975 Hwy 2
Tiffanie Mettayer
Apr 20, 2015 Tiffanie Mettayer rated it liked it
Aweful Ending
Arliss
Jul 14, 2011 Arliss marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the two audio books I'm taking on vacation next week. Though no reviews are here under Goodreads, Amazon & Barnes & Nobles reviews were 5 & 4 & 1/2 respectively. It looks a bit different. My only concern is it is classified as a "religious novel" and although I do consider myself a Christian, I do at time have issues with some of these type of novels. We'll see... I'll write again once I've completed.
Anya
Aug 13, 2013 Anya rated it really liked it
This guy can really write; I wish he would write more.

This book grabbed me in the beginning but waned over the course of the chapters, otherwise I would have given it 5 stars. Without creating a spoiler, I will just say that I didn't like the character of Pat Patterson. He was a big part of the reason the book took a downward turn for me.

I am captivated enough, however, to look for the subsequent books.
Alliey Herondale
Sep 19, 2011 Alliey Herondale rated it it was amazing
this is one of the more grown-up books that i have read so far. i got this when i was 11 and didn't quite start reading it till i was almost 12. the author is genius! i cry every time that i read where jr. dies ! this is a really emotional book that i love to read when i get bored or am going through a tough time.
Pat
Aug 29, 2008 Pat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: above-par
Here I am sitting at work listening to the audio of this book and crying my eyes out. (Thank goodness it's slow today) I won't spoil it for you if you've never read it. Some may say it's a little preachy, but you know, it never hurts to look up once and awhile during our busy days and nights.
Darlene
Started off well...just couldnt get through it. That old south black-white stark imbalance thing got the better of me. Very intrigued about the role archangels could play in this type of story, may come bak to it.
Michelle
Dec 30, 2009 Michelle rated it liked it
I knew going in this was the first book in a series, but I was still caught very off guard at the ending. It just stopped!!! Now I have to find the next one!
Diana
Aug 13, 2010 Diana rated it liked it
this book was about a girl who has a guardian angel and it is a religous type book... I did enjoy it , was a little quirky.
Cecily
Jul 07, 2011 Cecily rated it did not like it
Come to the realization that Christian Fiction is not for me. The southern accents were a bit too much for me as well.
Tanya
A very touching book. Lots of thrill and excitement. I enjoyed it a lot
Will
Aug 10, 2011 Will rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Read the first 50 pages or so. Couldn't get into the book. Too confusing.
Rita
Aug 28, 2012 Rita added it
Local author and friend of my store...good read! Similar to Frank Peretti.
Meredith LeBlanc
Mar 30, 2010 Meredith LeBlanc rated it it was amazing
Book 1 of the Black and White Chronicles. A tale of spiritual warfare.
Judy Waldrop
Wonderful Book. Couldn't put it down. Had to have #2 in series.
Hope McCormick
Dec 02, 2013 Hope McCormick rated it it was amazing
Very engaging. Curious to see how the series develops.
Karen Linton
Mar 02, 2013 Karen Linton rated it really liked it
Great read. Reminiscent of Peretti.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Field of Blood (Jerusalem's Undead Trilogy #1)
  • Shade
  • The Resurrection of Nat Turner, Part 1: The Witnesses: A Novel
  • The Dead Whisper on
  • Sky Blue
  • The Hunted: A Novel
  • Head Game
  • Martyr's Fire (Merlin's Immortals, #3)
  • John 3:16
  • Let Darkness Come
  • Unexpected Dismounts (The Reluctant Prophet, #2)
  • Lucifer's Flood
  • Edge of Grace
  • Girl in the Mirror
  • Sutter's Cross
  • In Their Footsteps / Thief Of Hearts
  • The Essence of Chocolate: Recipes for Baking and Cooking with Fine Chocolate

The Black or White Chronicles (3 books)
  • Wedgewood Grey (The Black or White Chronicles, #2)
  • And If I Die (The Black or White Chronicles, # 3)