Start by marking “Who's Looking Out for You?” as Want to Read:
Who's Looking Out for You?

Who's Looking Out for You?

3.4  ·  Rating Details ·  1,283 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
From the mega-bestselling author of The O'Reilly Factor and The No Spin Zone, a no-holds-barred expose of the people and institutions who are letting Americans down and what we should do about it.

Bill O Reilly is mad as hell and he s not going to let you take it anymore. In his most powerful and personal book yet, this media powerhouse and unstoppable truth-teller takes o
Published September 14th 2004 by Three Rivers Press (CA) (first published September 23rd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Who's Looking Out for You?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who's Looking Out for You?

Truthcansuck Goring
Oct 27, 2007 Truthcansuck Goring rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: dogshit
Jesus... let me synapse this book for you, shall I?

Bill looks out for the 'little guy.' How is not clear. He repeats it enough that you absorb it and accept it through osmosis if you are not paying attention, so pay attention.

Bill is nonpartisan. Bill thinks politicians are generally not honest. George Bush may (may) have fibbed on aspects of minutia dealing with inconsequential matters. Bill Clinton almost assuredly rapes puppies. Little, cute puppies. And then e-mails the photos to random nuns
Arminius
Oct 14, 2010 Arminius rated it liked it
Bill O’Reilly’s “Who’s Looking Out For You” is not a bad book. In the beginning of the book he lists what he calls “The Ten Commandants of Parenting.” They include the following recommendations: a parent should spend time with their child, provide discipline, educate them, screen their friends, and remove TV’s and computers from their child’s room et al.
He goes on to inform, or re informs in some cases, you that most institutions and the government does not look out for you. He analyzes America
Kevin Kirkhoff
Feb 07, 2009 Kevin Kirkhoff rated it liked it
Shelves: societal
As I've said before, I always enjoy reading O'Reilly's books. Some things he says I say, "Boy, you got that right". Other things I have to shake my head and say, "Bill, you really don't get it". Same with this book.

The purpose of this book is to determine who really has your best interests at heart. According to Bill, not too many people. Although I don't think he specifically says it, he gives me the impression that a lot of people have an entitlement attitude and truly feel that lots of people
Leslie D. Soule
Apr 22, 2015 Leslie D. Soule rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
This book has been on the backburner of my "to-read" list for quite some time, but it should have been right up at the top. In this book, Bill O'Reilly asks the all-important question that we all must pose to groups and individuals alike - "Who's Looking Out For Me?" And the answer, at least in part, is Bill O'Reilly, since he wrote this very helpful book to assist you in finding the answers and knowing what to look for in toxic people who are best avoided. This was a quick read, but a great one ...more
Dan
Jun 05, 2007 Dan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone.
Ok, I know. Liberals love to hate this guy, and conservaties love to treat him like he is the next coming of Christ. Truth is, no matter what side of the fence you are on, you will enjoy reading this. You will find that Bill doesn't spout off or bloviate. He just talks about common situations in your life and how he believes you should approach them.

This is a great read for everyone, and it is a short book, so it is not a big time investment.
Jamie
Dec 16, 2007 Jamie rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
I bought this book for my husband who is a conservative republican and generally enjoys talk radio, etc. We tried to read this book and I thought it was terrible. We read 3 of the 10 chapters and couldn't bother to finish the rest. It was that bad. Maybe it just wasn't what I was expecting, but it was incredibly boring.
Jim
Jul 26, 2008 Jim rated it did not like it
I really tried to keep an open mind while reading this and, truthfully, there are some points upon which I agree. But O'Reilly is such a narcissistic, sanctimonious jackass that it's hard for me to care.
Mark Savignano
Nov 16, 2010 Mark Savignano rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Let me wreck this book for you. Page 1 - title page, Page 2 - the white blank page, Page 3 - Chapter one "Who's looking out for you", First paragraph - "Nobody!"

Save yourself the money!

Jan Sydnam
Mar 07, 2009 Jan Sydnam rated it it was amazing
Very informative and well written. For anyone that wonders "what's going on" in this country...this is a must read. O'Reilly is straight and to the point.
sarg
Dec 22, 2016 sarg rated it really liked it
On one of my roamings through a local junk shop I came across a copy of Bill O'Reilly's book.
Too late in the year to start a long fiction book so took it home a did a quick two hour read of its 212 pages. Discovered some interesting thoughts about who most people believe are working in the public and more specifically ones interest. More specifically government, judicial, and the news publications. He makes a good argument that they in the most part not truly interested in our interest. Ok read
Joy
Dec 18, 2016 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is interesting to read what he thinks about Hilary becoming president and this year she did actually run. Some of those comments were incredible now looking back.
Thomas
Nov 06, 2016 Thomas rated it did not like it
Shrill O'Reilly has the intellectual chops of a toaster pastry. Yet another bunch of crap from this self-obsessed mental lackwit.
Shane Woolf
Short, sweet, and clean. You don't even have to drink the special Kool-Aid to enjoy it or to gain some perspective. I recommend this book for anyone. Although, "Trust-fund babies and corporate weasels are not allowed to read this book."

O'Reilly's thoughts on parenthood and parental responsibility are refreshing. Unfortunately, most of the folks that need to hear what he says will never read this book. He also has great insight into how and why the government isn't looking out for us.

"A democrac
Kristen
Aug 24, 2012 Kristen rated it it was amazing
My step-dad Art, loved Bill O'Reilly. I picked up this book at his house one day and boy did I learn alot! American politics at its worst. I was raised in a Republican household so I heard some stuff, not that I paid much attention. I was too busy with my social life to care about boring old politics. Well when I grew up and got my real first job and actually started paying attention, I did not like what I saw. How did we get to where we are today? Our founding fathers would be very upset to see ...more
Jenny
Apr 27, 2012 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Didn't know much about Bill O'Reilly having lived in Australia for most of his controversial career. I have to say that I liked a lot of what he said in the book. It was logical and I appreciate someone who gets outraged by people who do step on the common man. I don't find it cocky as some have put in their reviews. He jokes about his level of cockyness on his show but he also says "you don't have to believe me, you make your own judgment" which I appreciate because I don't know any other autho ...more
D
May 08, 2013 D rated it liked it
I borrowed this 2003 book from a friend, after reading O'Reilly's Killing Lincoln and Killing Kennedy books. This book was interesting, but dated. I am not super conservative, but still found myself agreeing with much of what O'Reilly said in this book, including why it was important for the U.S. to remove Sadam Hussein from power in Iraq. I've always rather liked O'Reilly's show on Fox News, although it is in the only show on that network I can watch for more than about five minutes. All in all ...more
Stephannie
Aug 02, 2010 Stephannie rated it it was ok
In an effort to hear what "the other side" had to say, I took the book from the library shelf. O'Reilly has an interesting vantage point -- who really has your interests in mind -- in this one. I appreciated that it was not all political, and particularly enjoyed his perspective on one's parental roles & obligations in looking out for their children.

This book was not as abrasive as I had anticipated. It was fascinating to learn that he believes he's looking out for public interest in his wor
Andrea Fife
Sep 26, 2008 Andrea Fife rated it did not like it
I wanted to read something different from my usual fare, and different it was. Good it was not. I really liked the premise of the book... surround yourself with people who are truly looking out for you and ditch everyone else. What I didn't like was Bill's condescending style. I read chapters 1 & 2, skimmed 3, glossed over 4, and then gave up. Mr. O'Reilly feels the need to devote entire chapters to concepts I managed to clearly grasp with nothing more than a topic sentence. Thanks, Mr. O'Re ...more
Jim Serger
Aug 27, 2014 Jim Serger rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the thought behind this book--who's looking out for you???? The answer is YOU have to look out for yourself--challenge yourself to live my morales and values, save money, invest in great friends whom cheer you on. Continue reading, studying up, read newspapers, understand your soroudings, know what is going on in your community, school district. You take care of your body; exercise, eat right....YOU are responsible for your choices so choose wisely.
Tamminh
Mar 03, 2013 Tamminh rated it it was ok
The only portion worth reading is the last few paragraphs where some sensible advices are given on how one should conduct oneself. The rest of the book follows the same pattern: All who ever have crticized the author, or ignored his accusations, or refused to appear on his show, are by default villains. Conclusion by the author: The only ones who are looking out for you are the author and his employer, Fox Network!
Barbara
Apr 24, 2009 Barbara rated it it was amazing
The book lets you have a better look at the man, how he thinks, and how intuitive he is about the people and the world around him. It is interesting to read today and see how many things he actually predicted when the gook was written in 2003.

It also challenges you to look at yourself, your motives, your beliefes, your associates and your friends. It makes you see those associates and friends in a different and decide who belongs in which catagory.
Jane Fournier
Sep 20, 2016 Jane Fournier rated it it was amazing
This book was written in 2004 but I was amazed that the story is the same as today. O'Reilly's description of our country is the same as today. In other words, there is still NOBODY looking out for You. (or me or our country.) I grow weary of The Factor because I just cannot watch or listen to all the yelling and interruptions but I like Bill and after reading this book, I think he is trying in his human way to look out for you, me and our beloved USA.
Melissa
Jul 14, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. It is critical of different media sources, people and organizations and their intentions. O'Reilly gives his opinion on who he thinks is looking out for you and who is not looking our for you. There is more time spent on the ones who are NOT looking out for you. I think his goal was to give you examples of people who are not looking out for you so that you can decipher for yourself.
Brian
Sep 02, 2012 Brian rated it it was amazing
Bill O'Reilly is brilliant! Sharp shooting reality, of common politics from both sides, a great take on media bias and just everyday people in today's world. Who's Looking Out for You, zeros in on the good the bad and the ultimately disturbing of society with the "No Spin" rule book, leading the charge.
Jolene
Better than I expected. Although I am not a fan of Bill O'Reilly and his angry, bullying television personna, it seems the man genuinely believes himself to be looking out for others. Even though I may disagree on many issues, I did find some unexpected common ground, and maybe even some things to admire.
Reza
Jul 20, 2007 Reza rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: conservatives?
Dude. I totally read this book. Can you believe it? Neither can I, but I did. I think Steve and I were flying out of an airport and decided to buy it for shits and giggles. The scary thing is, I remember thinking that Bill wasn't such a bad guy. Oh my god, what's wrong with me? Did I tell you about my crush on Tucker Carlson?
Vania Melamed
Aug 12, 2010 Vania Melamed rated it it was ok
I love Bill O'Reilly; Despite his extra-marital affair, that doesn't change the fact that he's usually right about his observations of society and our wanton ways. Unfortunately, this book reads like a giant prologue. I kept waiting for the facts, the education, the thesis to be supported. What a disappointment.
Scarlett B
Jan 15, 2010 Scarlett B rated it it was amazing
I'm shocked this book has managed to scrape together a 3.37 given the obvious bias a lot of reviewers seem to have! Kudos Billy!

I actually HAVE read the book, unlike a lot of raters here, and I enjoyed it. It really preaches the importance of looking out for ulterior motives. It's my favorite of the O'Reilly books I've read.
Roxanne
Sep 21, 2015 Roxanne rated it really liked it
I really like Bill O'Reilly. Liberals hate him but I like he states the truth of our country in a big way. At the end of the day the government is not really looking out for us and we have to reliant on ourselves. There is so much stuff in Wash. D.C. we know nothing about.
Danice
I enjoyed the first and last chapters more so than the rest. I think combining the first and last chapters of this book, with the last chapters of The O'Reilly Factor and the No Spin Zone, would make a nice self-help motivational book.
  • Let Freedom Ring: Winning the War of Liberty over Liberalism
  • Power to the People
  • See, I Told You So
  • Godless: The Church of Liberalism
  • Arrogance: Rescuing America From The Media Elite
  • The Enemy Within: Saving America from the Liberal Assault on Our Schools, Faith, and Military
  • State of Emergency: The Third World Invasion and Conquest of America
  • A National Party No More: The Conscience of a Conservative Democrat
  • Glenn Beck's Common Sense: The Case Against an Out-of-Control Government, Inspired by Thomas Paine
  • God, Guns & Rock'N'Roll
  • Useful Idiots: How Liberals Got It Wrong in the Cold War and Still Blame America First
  • Winning the Future: A 21st Century Contract With America
Bill O'Reilly is an American television/radio host, author, syndicated columnist, and political commentator. He is the host of the cable news program The O'Reilly Factor. Prior to hosting The O'Reilly Factor, he served as anchor of the entertainment program, Inside Edition.

O'Reilly also hosts The Radio Factor, a radio program syndicated by Westwood One, and he has written seven books.

More about Bill O'Reilly...