Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  119 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Start-today strategies for a better financial tomorrow.

The Complete Idiot’s Guide‚ to Personal Finance in Your 20s and 30s, Third Edition, clearly explains everything members of this age group need to know to get a handle on their pocketbook and their portfolio, from planning their personal finances to enhancing their current financial plan to getting better returns on

Paperback, Third Edition, 400 pages
Published May 3rd 2005 by Alpha

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Personal Finance in your 20'sand 30's

Christa
Nov 22, 2013 Christa rated it liked it
Shelves: i-quit
I better hurry up and read this before I end up out of my 30s without knowing anything about personal finance.
Much of this is tied to the times in which you read it, and this is an outdated version. I don't feel a lot better about my options.
Alex Le
Jan 18, 2009 Alex Le rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid financial advices for young people to master and keep track of your money.

My take on this: use tools. Use free tools that keep track of your life automatically for you. Mint.com (best choice), or Quicken (offline only, so it's a pain, has more features you may not need them all). Mint is slim and easy to use.

Have an online bank with auto-debit that force you to save money. It's always a good thing to have extra cash somewhere that you don't know about, but can be a life-saver in emergency
Ashley
Jul 06, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lynn
Oct 19, 2010 Lynn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: money-management
Ok, this book opened my eyes up to new jargon as well as offered some foolproof tips on managing finance, mortgage, insurance, etc. I didnt like it all that much because it grated on my nerves, but somehow I knew I had to finish it. Well, I had no idea what a 401k plan was before, and money markets and some other sh!t, and am aware that what I read is for the American market.

I was hoping that I could ignore the readership fact and get as much out of it as possible, and I think I did. If the book
Katharine Rudzitis
Aug 09, 2015 Katharine Rudzitis rated it liked it
If you are a 20-something and know NOTHING about managing your money, this is worth a read. Otherwise, pick up more advanced books.
Lauren
Apr 27, 2014 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Though an old version (I took far too long to read this book after actually purchasing it), there are some illuminating topics. I found the complexity of the topics to vary pretty wildly-I was able to skip entire parts. Additionally, some of the information was generally out of date.

I would recommend this book generally to those looking to get a hold of their financial lives, but I would obviously recommend a more recent edition.

Good read, but it's probably not necessary for most people to rea
Nick ryan davis
Very basic. Most of the information is common sense.
Adrienne
Jun 05, 2007 Adrienne rated it it was ok
So far there is mostly info I already know or have already lived through, but that is no surprise considering I'm in the 30s bracket. There is some user-friendly info on how to best save and all that basic kind of stuff. I think unless you are really in a bad financial place, a higher level book would prove to be much better. The writing style is true to the title, sometimes the author speaks in a truly idiotic manner.
Mel
Jul 27, 2011 Mel rated it liked it
I think overall this is a great book... but after the first portion it didnt really add anything new or useful for me. However, being that I am in Australia, most of the information after that point wasnt really relevant. Overall, the setup of the book was very good - great for people just starting out.
Kris
Mar 20, 2011 Kris rated it it was ok
I got this for Christmas a few years ago. In my opinion, by mistake (to the wrong niece). However, I've been reviewing some items I'm not familiar with, while also literally highlighting basic items for my sister to pay attention to and learn about. This is what doing homework for your sibling feels like.
j
Feb 14, 2011 j rated it liked it
Shelves: finance
Good, solid, very informative, well thought-out. My only complaint is that there is a LOT of repetition, especially in the sections on investing. I was reading the ebook version and I swear I got a hand cramp from flicking through so many consecutive sections on the same stuff.
Jane
Dec 11, 2011 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Non-fiction about money isn't always the easiest read. It was the case here. Though very informative, there were parts that were strictly for American readers that I found didn't apply to my situation. Nonetheless, it was worth reading to get some perspective.
Anna
Dec 17, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A little bit of information about a lot of things - most of which is not applicable to me since I don't have any money, but someday it will probably be good to know! It all makes me a little sad though, how complicated everything has become.
Kaity
May 03, 2011 Kaity rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of it was old news to me, but overall it was a really great analysis of what 20-30 yos need to be thinking about as they emerge as professionals/workers. I found it to be very useful info.
Mary
Oct 30, 2011 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a nice overview of finances. Now that I have a few things defined, I'll go deeper. I might even figure out how to become a billionaire.
I didn't really read this from cover to cover, but what I did read was valuable and logical. I'll probably read it again and use it for reference.
Sawy-o
Jul 15, 2008 Sawy-o rated it liked it
An embarrassment to my read list, but fairly useful in starting to think about financial responsibility. Yay life skills!
Lindsey
Aug 03, 2009 Lindsey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Even I'm not this much of an idiot.
Feather Stolzenbach
Sep 17, 2007 Feather Stolzenbach rated it really liked it
Because I am an idiot!
Carrie Knerr
Carrie Knerr marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Hay Dee
Hay Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Kiaralaryah
Kiaralaryah marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Yousef Allam
Yousef Allam marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Hanna
Hanna marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Wanji
Wanji marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Anna-Grace
Anna-Grace marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
A
A added it
May 22, 2016
Jaclyn
Jaclyn marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
  • Your Money Map: A Proven 7-Step Guide to True Financial Freedom
  • The Road to Wealth: A Comprehensive Guide to Your Money
  • Illustrated Guide to Gardening (updated w/ color)
  • A Garlic Testament: Seasons on a Small New Mexico Farm
  • The Wall Street Journal Complete Money and Investing Guidebook
  • Prince Charming Isn't Coming: How Women Get Smart About Money
  • The First National Bank of Dad: The Best Way to Teach Kids About Money
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses
  • Straying From the Path
  • Manners
  • 1001 Things Every Teen Should Know Before They Leave Home: (Or Else They'll Come Back)
  • Inside a U.S. Embassy: How the Foreign Service Works for America
  • The Eco-nomical Baby Guide: Down-to-Earth Ways for Parents to Save Money and the Planet
  • Paula Deen's My First Cookbook
  • Blogging All-In-One for Dummies
  • Soul Hunt (Evie Scelan, #3)
  • Millionaire Women Next Door: The Many Journeys of Successful American Businesswomen
  • It's Not about the Money: Unlock Your Money Type to Achieve Spiritual and Financial Abundance