Start by marking “Upon the Mountains” as Want to Read:
Upon the Mountains

Upon the Mountains

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  43 reviews

Published January 30th 2007 by Covenant Communications (first published January 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Upon the Mountains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Upon the Mountains

Mommywest
Set during World War I and the huge influenza epidemic, this story gives the reader a glimpse of what life was like for several family members and their friends in various locations. Also, one of the characters is a female studying to be a doctor, so the reader learns about women's rights and their struggles during that time period. There are a lot of characters to keep track of, but if the reader pays attention, it's not really a problem. I enjoyed learning more about World War I because World ...more
Teri
Oct 28, 2008 Teri rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone

In this very stirring and magnificent climax to this vast series, I can confidently say this novel richly deserved its being a final in two categories in the first ever LDS Whitney Awards this year. From Beacon Street in San Francisco, where Ina Bell, Kerri McKee, Bid Randall, Elizabeth and Kathryn Lund live, to Sutter Creek, Ca, where The Robinson's, Daniel, The Rosamund's and Philomene Johnson all live, to Salt Lake City, where Alaina, Eleanor, Grandpa Erickson, Mother Erickson live. Eleanor t
Tiffany
This is a wonderful story of a young LDS couple and their family and friends during World War I and the influenza pandemic of 1918. It's a great historical fiction and there are some wonderful facts about that time period at the end of the book that I found very interesting, albeit sad. It wasn't violent but it was a bit graphic regarding the aftermath of war, some description of soldiers who had been maimed and/or killed.
Irene
I really enjoyed this book.
World War I is raging in Europe. As America is drawn into the conflict, Nephi Erickson comes to believe enlisting with the Marines is not only his duty, but also his best chance at making some much-needed money. He feels he has failed in his promise to care for his wife, Alaina and their small daughter Katie. As he leaves their Salt Lake City homer for the battlefield where disease can be as deadly as the enemy, Nephi has no idea that Alaine is carrying their second ch
Rachel
This book had potential to be really good. The two issues keeping it from being better for me are 1) too many characters to make smooth reading, and 2) there was obvious a prequel to this book though the preface nor cover indicated such.

There were so many different characters in different towns it made it difficult to read. The characters and places weren't even necessarily seperated by chapters so you never knew quite where you were until a paragraph or two into each section. It just didn't fl
Rayni
Apr 05, 2008 Rayni marked it as to-read
Recommended to Rayni by: review from Cache Magazine 3/28/08
Upon the Mountains - Book 3 of 3 - Charlene Hirschi review from 3/28/08 Cache Magazine.
Review from Covenant Books:
World War I is raging in Europe. As America is drawn into the bitter conflict, Nephi Erickson comes to believe enlisting with the Marines is not only his duty, but also his best chance at making some much-needed money. He feels he has failed in his promise to care for his wife, Alaina, and their small daughter, Katie. As he leaves their tranquil Salt Lake City hillside home for a bar
Jesse Whitehead
Few books have the emotional impact that this one does. I’m not saying that it’s great writing, in fact there are parts that are so clunky that they induce cringes. What I’m saying is that the book clearly displays the characters and makes them likeable enough that it tears you apart at all the right moments.

This is probably one of the best examples I’ve ever read of historical fiction. The characters are as ignorant as they should be for their time. World War I rages across Europe and when it e
Heather
This book had so many main characters in so many different settings it made it hard to follow. It jumps around between at least 8 different settings, each having it's own set of characters to keep track of. On top of that sometimes the character is referred to by their first name, sometimes by the last name, and sometimes by a nickname. I was halfway through the book before I felt like I was really enjoying it. The last quarter of the book was pretty good, but I just didn't think it was worth wa ...more
This book tells the stories of WWI from the perspective of a wife of a marine and the wife's sister, a nurse during the influenza pandemic. The reason I love historical fiction is that I learn more about history than I would if I were to read/study a history textbook. I love that I now know that there was an influenza outbreak that killed more than the casualties from WWI, even though it was so hard for the people to live at that time.
Susan
This is book three. It is heartbreaking the atrocities of this war. On top of all that, influenza takes its own toll on the lives of these characters that are so familiar to me. I found that I couldn't wait for the war to end so that Nephi and James would come home hopefully alive.

Eleanor becomes more of a main character in this story. She is remarkable and speaks her mind so openly that it's fun.

I loved the ending to this trilogy.
Ndshill
This was the third and concluding book of the series. I listened to this while returning home from AZ in March. It was the most interesting historically of the three. It dealt very well with WWI and the flu epidemic. I was disappointed that she wrapped everything up in a fairy tale ending. I would have prefered a hint that some relationships would mature into marriage rather than have everyone all matched up perfectly at the end.
Kisty
I loved this series! You can tell you've read a good book/books, when days after you're still thinking of the characters and their lives! The first book in the series is Autumn Sky and the second is, Until the Dawn. This is the 3rd book in the Trilogy. Each book drew me in deeper and deeper!
Tara
This book was ok. It could have been much better if the author would have focused in on just a few of the storylines instead of running so many different situations through the book. I felt like I didn't have time to connect to the characters before I was reading about someone else.
Lydia
I enjoyed this book. It is a WWI book with LDS characters. I've read a lot of WWII books but not much on WWI. It was interesting to see all the new things they were experiences--telephones in homes, still riding trains, tanks and airplanes with machine guns attached in war....
Amy
This was a good book but a very sad book. It was hard to read in some places cause you could feel the pain that the people where going through. It is a very hard sad book to read. Some places in the book were a little slow and other parts were a little hard to read.
Kara
I had to read this one becuase it is the third book in the series and the author made the characters so likable that I had to find out what more I could about them. I liked this book, although some of the descriptions were hard for me to read...too gorey for me.
Wendy
I liked this the best out of the series, although (as I found out) it wouldn't be great without reading the others. It almost came out a bit too pat, but I had a lot of empathy for the characters and loved that they were able to get back to the farm.
Tiffany Southern
If you like Michelle Bell or LDS historical fiction you'll love this book. I cried like a baby at the end. Takes place during WW1. Try and read the first two books before reading this one, but is a good book even if you haven't read the rest of the series.
Universitybabe
Okay, This book was good but probably the least favorite of the series. A lot of extra characters were thrown in and time flew without an idea of the people and their feelings. Could have been better, I felt like she was in a hurry to end the story.
Mindy
I started reading this book, and didn't realize that it had a prequel, so I stopped and went back to read the first two books, then returned to it. It tied up all the loose ends, and was a good conclusion to the story. Relatively entertaining.
Julie
I don't know much about the 1st World War so this was interesting to me. I didn't know it was part of a series, but as I got into it I realized I had read the others. I worried about influenza all day at school. Can't afford to get sick.
Tessa
This book took me forever to read! I only finished because I have a hard time not finishing a book unless it's really bad. So with this one I finished and the last half of the book was much much better than the first half.
Julie
I am kind of bored with this book, but keep reading in hopes that something will happen. It has a lot of characters to try and keep straight. I took it back to the library before I finished it.
Claudia
I learned after listening to this book on cd, that it was the last in a series of three books. It might have helped to read the first two, but I don't intend to go back and read them now.
Amber
Good story - a lot of different characters to keep track of - but enjoyed this historical fiction based on WW1 and the flu epidemic and a lot of great Utah history.
Mary
Interesting book about WWI and how people were feeling at that time. Also a look into the 1918 flu epidemic. This was book three in a three book series.
Pam
I was surprised at how much I like this book. It felt true to the era it was written in. I learned much more about World War 1. The characters felt real.
Danielle
I decided to skip certain characters in this book and had no problem reading the book without those characters. I do not like fluff characters.
Rebecca
Great book. Good insight as to what life was like during WW I and those that fought in that war. Book 3 and final book in the series.
Danica
It was a good read. Just not my favorite. I listened to the tape. Some of the voices from the narrator really drove me nuts.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Spires of Stone
  • Desire of Our Hearts
  • Grave Secrets
  • Land of Inheritance (Out of Jerusalem, #4)
  • Bullies in the Headlights
  • The Independence Club
  • Sheep's Clothing
  • The Hidden Branch
  • Blink of An Eye
  • The Deep End (Undercurrents, #3)
  • Before the Dawn
  • Midnight Whispers
  • Counting Stars
  • Methods of Madness
  • This Just In
  • The Kingdom and the Crown Set (The Kingdom and the Crown #1-3)
  • Wet Desert: Tracking Down a Terrorist on the Colorado River
  • The Ruby (The Bracelet, #4)
The Silence of God Letters in the Jade Dragon Box Belonging to Heaven Autumn Sky Until the Dawn