Start by marking “The Emperor's Egg with Audio: Read, Listen, & Wonder” as Want to Read:
The Emperor's Egg with Audio: Read, Listen, & Wonder

The Emperor's Egg with Audio: Read, Listen, & Wonder (Read and Wonder)

Introducing READ, LISTEN, & WONDER!
This vibrant book-and-CD series brings the best of our Read and Wonder nature stories to life.

Each paperback title in the series includes a CD that features:
* an engaging read-aloud with sound effects
* a read-along opportunity guided by prompts
* a segment focusing on fascinating facts

Can you imagine spending the winter outdoors in Ant
Published August 12th 2008 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Emperor's Egg with Audio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Emperor's Egg with Audio

Nick Black
how am i supposed to review children's books? we bought this because we were in antarctica, and like penguins. it didn't teach me anything new, but i am 35.
Kristin Traina
The adorable book goes throughout the life cycle of the Emperor Penguin. It also gives facts about their environment, the differences between males and females and their roles. It could be used for a lesson on animal characteristics, the life cycle, or environment. I also feel like this could be used for lesson on gender roles because in the emperor penguin's case, the dad takes care of the egg and the chick while the mother goes fishing for food.
Grade: 2nd-life cycles, 3rd-Habitat
Andrea
This book would be a great read aloud for younger children about the part of the life cycle of Emperor Penguins. Students will be intrigued by the fact that it is the father who has the responsibility of sitting on the egg, while the mother is off feeding. Well illustrated with enjoyable text. I would use this with kindergarten students through third or fourth grade.
Ali Hembree
Apr 18, 2012 Ali Hembree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a cute book. I would use this book in my classroom to start the knowledge of what animals lay eggs for babies to be born and the adventure of that taking place. 3rd and 4th grades are the grades that I would use this book for my students. Activities I would use for this story would include drawing all the steps out of the egg process for the birth of the chick.
Jessica
Identifying the appropriate genre: Informational Text

Review/Summary: This book is an informational picture book about Emperor penguins. It is written in way that makes it easy for children to understand. This book has beautiful illustrations of the Emperor penguin. It shows the penguins as they go through their egg hatching and all that comes after. There are also footnotes in the book that explain some of the common questions children might have about penguins.

Writing Trait: The Emperor’s Egg
midnightfaerie
A book my 5 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
Meredith Trotter
Jul 17, 2012 Meredith Trotter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informational
Publication: 1999

Grade/Age: Ages 4-9

Annotation: This book talks about the parental behavior of Emperor penguins, focusing on how the male keeps the egg warm until it hatches and how the parents care for the chick after it is born.

Themes: Emperor penguins, parental behavior in animals, penguin habits and behavior, working together and sharing responsibilities

Ways to use the book:

Language Arts - Have the children write a poem titled, "My Father." The father plays a unique role in the story and pr
Elizabeth Roe
Oct 25, 2012 Elizabeth Roe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grade/interest level: Primary (K-3rd grade)
Reading level: Lexile, AD570L
Genre: Picture Book, Information Text

Main Characters: Emperor Penguins
Setting: The Arctic
POV: Third person

Upon looking at the cover, a reader might think that The Emperor's Egg is a non-fiction story. Although this book is set up in a story-like format, it is highly informational. The book begins by giving a brief description of Antarctica and its characteristics and location. Then the book introduces its main focus, the Emp
Matt Vagts
Informational book #8
This book is about emperor penguins and the process it takes of taking care of their egg. It gives great detail of when the egg is laid and who takes care of it and for how long they must take care of it. Then it goes on to talk about what happens after the chick is born and also gives a little detail as to what the weather is like in Antarctica.
Shannon
Back Cover: Can you imagine spending the winter outdoors in Antarctica without anything to eat at all? That's just what the male Emperor penguin does. While his mate is off swimming in the ocean and catching fish, he stands around in the freezing cold with an egg on his feet for two whole months, keeping it warm and waiting for it to hatch. Meet the world's most devoted dad!
Allison
This is all about the Emperor Penguins and how the male penguin cares for the egg while mom ventures out into the water to hunt and eat for a couple of months. The dad huddles together with other dads to keep their eggs safe and warm until they are ready to hatch. Mom doesn't come back until after they hatch and then she gives dad a break to go out and hunt for food, and she keeps the baby warm and fed.

This book is appropriate for ages 5+

This is perfect to teaching them about the Emperor Pengu
Ashley Storms
This is a great informational picture book about the emperor penguins! The way that they have to care for their eggs is incredible and almost unbelievable! Recommended for primary or intermediate students.
Sonnie Schlossmacher
Really great informational text about penguins. After I read it to my students we made a penguin out of water bottles and filled in a bubble map work sheet.
Dolly
Jun 26, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful book about the Emperor penguins of Antarctica. We've read several books about them and we are always amazed and enchanted by the way that the parents take care of their chicks and the extreme sacrifices they make to raise a family.

The illustrations by Jane Chapman are just as wonderful as we've come to expect and the narrative is informative without being overly detailed or boring. The story interacts with the reader, bringing you into the story. This book is fun to read alo
Smbyrne
An Entertaining and informational picture book about emperor penguins.
Jes
Dec 12, 2015 Jes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, picture-book
I like the book, but it's not the greatest for story time
Casandria
Great and factual!
Kris Odahowski
Jan 21, 2014 Kris Odahowski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A natural history of the penguin with additional informative facts. The penguin is the focus of the illustrations and the landscape is not detailed compared to the effort to show the detail of the penguins body, wings and feet. I especially like the the thick feather coat and penguin feet holding an egg. Size of font and placement on page makes words another focus of the story.
Benjamin Elliott
Apr 24, 2016 Benjamin Elliott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick science lesson with excellent illustrations.
Heather Summers
Jan 28, 2011 Heather Summers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science, winter
Very factual. Options on how much to read. you can read just the story line or read the facts along with it. I think this will depend on the grade level and attention span. Fits well into winter bookshelf. Also includes index in back of book with many helpful definitions that could be reviewed before reading the book.
Luana
This book is ideal for Kindergarten - 3rd grade. I could use this book to teach about habitats and what animals live in the cold/icy habitats. This book also teaches the nature of male and female penguins. I could use this book in the engage portion and ask questions like what's different.
Brittany
Sep 11, 2010 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informative
This is an informative book that teaches children about penguins. I particulary enjoyed this book because I was able to learn but I was so engaged I could not put the book down. I would add this book to my classrooom library
Jan
Jun 10, 2012 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A picture book written in a casual, conversational style about Emperor penguins, and the father's role in incubating and hatching an egg. Cute and factual, but a bit too "chatty" for me. Will be enjoyed by 3-7 year-olds.
Modboy
Jul 05, 2011 Modboy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Modboy by: Cousins Stuart & Gail
Educational children's book about Emperor Penguins. It even has an index. Quite interesting and informative. Although the writing is certainly aimed at engaging children I found it to be a bit flat.
Megan Phillips
I would use this book with 3rd and 4th graderes to teach them about the process birds go through, while they are in the egg. Students could create their own visuals to go along with that process.
Nadia
This is a great book to introduce the concept of penguins' laying of eggs in a story-like format. I would definitely use this book if I ever teach this concept to elementary age students.
Cynthia
Nov 05, 2008 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: primary and intermediate grades
THe graphics on this book are great! It's an informational text that reads like prose. It would be a good model of how to write informational text in an interesting style.
Hope L. Justice
Nothing like championing a male animal for taking care of their offspring. It was a little one sided. The colloquialism of the book made it unappealingly male biased.
Jewel
Nov 12, 2012 Jewel marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-the-kids
Another selfish purchase, where I'm more interested than my kids, but I have actually read it and it's touching.
Full review after I read it with kids.
Dubovoyalena
This is a great book for students who love animals. This is a book that can be encorporated when studying different animals and their needs for survival.
  • Secrets of the Garden: Food Chains and the Food Web in Our Backyard
  • Bones: Skeletons and How They Work
  • Animals in Winter (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science. Stage 1)
  • In the Sea
  • Into the Unknown: How Great Explorers Found Their Way by Land, Sea, and Air
  • One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder
  • Many Luscious Lollipops: A Book About Adjectives
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • Astronaut Handbook
  • If You Find a Rock
  • The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder
  • All Pigs Are Beautiful: Read and Wonder
  • Now & Ben: The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin
  • You Wouldn't Want To Sail On The Titanic!: One Voyage You'd Rather Not Make
  • The Magic School Bus Inside a Hurricane (The Magic School Bus, #7)
  • Beetle Bop
  • The Penny Pot
  • How Did That Get In My Lunchbox?: The Story of Food
Martin Jenkins, a conservation biologist, has written several nonfiction books for children, including Ape, Grandma Elephant’s in Charge, The Emperor’s Egg, and Chameleons Are Cool. He lives in Cambridge, England.
More about Martin Jenkins...

Read and Wonder (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • A Field Full of Horses: Read and Wonder
  • All Pigs Are Beautiful: Read and Wonder
  • Bat Loves the Night: Read and Wonder
  • Big Blue Whale: Read and Wonder
  • Chameleons Are Cool: Read and Wonder
  • Dolphin Baby!
  • Gentle Giant Octopus: Read and Wonder
  • Growing Frogs
  • I Love Guinea Pigs (Read and Wonder Books)
  • Jody's Beans