Start by marking “The Existence and Attributes of God, Vol. 7b of 50 Greatest Chr Classics” as Want to Read:
The Existence and Attributes of God, Vol. 7b of 50 Greatest Chr Classics

The Existence and Attributes of God, Vol. 7b of 50 Greatest Chr Classics

Stephen Charnock (1628–1680) was a Cambridge graduate, Presbyterian clergyman, Puritan theologian, and chaplain to Oliver Cromwell. Virtually none of his writings were published until after his death.

"The Existence and Attributes of God" is remembered as Puritan's definitive contribution to theology proper. Charnock's meditations on God's character include:

I. The Existen
Published September 1st 2001 by Sovereign Grace Publishers (first published November 1st 1979)

Be the first to ask a question about The Existence and Attributes of God, Vol. 7b of 50 Greatest Chr Classics

Michaelpatrick Keena
Apr 20, 2008 Michaelpatrick Keena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who understand John 17:3
Recommended to Michaelpatrick by: Ron Aronold
While taking classes at Golden Gate Seminary, Southern Californina, my Systematic Theology professor complained that Charnock's Existence and Attributes of God was just too much information. How in the world can there be too much written about God? With all the books written about Him, we have yet to scratch the serface of the topic. Sorry prof, my hat's off to Mr. Charnock and his classic work. Remember, we are going to spend eternity getting to know Him!
Deva Williamson
Jan 29, 2013 Deva Williamson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aside from The Bible, this book is the most moving of all that I have read. The pictures painted and the beautiful language to describe our Creator is nothing short of awesome! I recommend this book to all who choose to live this life by faith and not sight, while we eagerly await the day of redemption.
Darby Hughes
Jan 08, 2017 Darby Hughes rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
I read most of volume 1 (of 2), but just couldn't continue. I love Puritan works, I've read dozens, and even another by Charnock. Part of it, I know, is a historical difference between the way we approach subjects compared to the Puritans, but to me this was "death by details." I was overwhelmed by repetition and over-adressed points. Charnock seems to have set the goal to say everything that could possibly be said about the subject.

The doctrine itself was biblically sound, apart from some outda
James Mcentire
I have the two volume set in one volume. I actually have only read the first volume and finished that up over a year ago. But I needed to move on to other more relevant material. Maybe I can get to the second volume at a later date.
Sydney
I couldn't stand reading this book. I'm sure Charnock probably had some good things to say, but I can't get past his thoughts on atheists. He's clearly not a man who struggled work doubt - bully for him. But I think it's ridiculous to talk down to those who do struggle.
Denny
Denny rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2007
Jason Platt
Jason Platt rated it it was amazing
Oct 14, 2015
Chuck
Chuck rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Joshua Gutteridge
Joshua Gutteridge rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2013
Tony Ludlow
Tony Ludlow rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2016
Andre
Andre rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2010
Paul Meinsen
Paul Meinsen rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Gary
Gary rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2014
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
May 08, 2013
Doug Mckay
Doug Mckay rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2014
Shawn Wild
Shawn Wild rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2016
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
PAUL NOWAK
PAUL NOWAK rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2011
Bobby Crenshaw
Bobby Crenshaw rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Colby Parker
Colby Parker rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2015
Jeffrey Thompson
Jeffrey Thompson rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2015
Logan Almy
Logan Almy rated it really liked it
May 10, 2013
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2014
Jeffery D Lammers
Jeffery D Lammers rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Holly Berry
Holly Berry rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2016
Jeremy
Sep 11, 2016 Jeremy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, non-fiction
See Meet the Puritans (pp. 144-45).
Timothy Fluegge
Timothy Fluegge rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2014
Richard Beehner
Richard Beehner rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Communion with God
  • The Mystery of Providence
  • A New Systematic Theology of the Christian Faith
  • The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination
  • A Body of Divinity: Contained in Sermons upon the Westminster Assembly's Catechism
  • The Doctrine of the Knowledge of God (A Theology of Lordship)
  • The Inspiration and Authority of the Bible
  • No Place for Truth: or Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology?
  • Who's Your Father?: Returning to the Love of the Biblical God
  • Reformed Dogmatics Volume 4: Holy Spirit, Church, and New Creation
  • The Person of Christ (Contours of Christian Theology, #7)
  • The Christian in Complete Armour
  • Worldly Saints: The Puritans as They Really Were
  • The Church (Contours of Christian Theology, #4)
  • The Holy Spirit (Contours of Christian Theology, #6)
Stephen Charnock (1628–1680), Puritan divine, was an English Puritan Presbyterian clergyman born at the St Katherine Cree parish of London.

More about Stephen Charnock...