Start by marking “The Night Before Thanksgiving” as Want to Read:
The Night Before Thanksgiving

Read Excerpt

The Night Before Thanksgiving

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  293 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Everyone’s favorite fun-filled, family-filled, food-filled holiday is almost here! Follow along as the feast is prepared, cousins are greeted, and everyone gathers around the table, all with an extra helping of holiday fun.
Published August 6th 2001 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published August 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Before Thanksgiving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Before Thanksgiving

'Twas The Night Before Thanksgiving by Dav PilkeyI Am the Turkey by Michele Sobel SpirnThe Know-Nothings Talk Turkey by Michele Sobel SpirnA Turkey for Thanksgiving by Eve BuntingOne Is a Feast for Mouse by Judy Cox
Best Children's Thanksgiving Books
17th out of 135 books — 116 voters
The Legend Of Everwinter by Tara BehanLlama Llama Mad at Mama by Anna DewdneyMe And My Friends Around The World by Sowechhya LimbuLlama Llama and the Bully Goat by Anna DewdneyLlama Llama Misses Mama by Anna Dewdney
Awesome Picture Books To Read
11th out of 21 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Cindi
Nov 03, 2011 Cindi rated it really liked it
Natasha Wing, a former Humboldt County author, has written several The Night Before... books. The Night Before Thanksgiving written by Wing and illustrated by Tammie Lyon is perfect for sharing with youngsters at this time of year.

As the title states, this story begins on the night before Thanksgiving. Baking, planning for family, and then visions of dancing drumsticks as the children sleep are told about it rhyme. The story continues right on through Thanksgiving and ends with one of the best t
Cathi
Nov 10, 2015 Cathi rated it really liked it
We have a lot of "the night before" children's books (Easter, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, first day of kindergarten, and our favorite, the night before the night before Christmas) and they're great. They're done by different authors and illustrators, but I believe they're all published by Scholastic. This one is a lot of fun, with very detailed and lively pictures, funny rhymes, and an overall great sense of humor.
Christina Fonner
Mar 29, 2015 Christina Fonner rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-selection
I like holiday themed books because then it is easy to select a book when reading to a child(s). It is a great book of how some families celebrate thanksgiving in a nice positive and happy day. This book is about one specific family, however it is great to let students be excited or motivated to help their parents bake a cake and such in the kitchen.
Meg McGregor
Nov 22, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday-reads
Finally someone has written a companion to The Night Before Christmas!

This wonderful story recreates the perfect Thanksgiving holiday. From relatives coming in from all over, to baking the perfect pie, to playing with all the visiting cousins, this book will delight both young and old.
Kimberly
Jan 16, 2016 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
We are big fans of this series! Each one contains a fun twist on the popular classic Twas the Night Before Christmas. Wing has such an amazing talent for coming up with clever rhymes that smoothly flow from one page to the next. This book covers all of the Thanksgiving traditions: preparation of favorite foods, parade watching, excitement over family arriving, mishaps that always happen on a holiday and of course the enjoyment of leftovers the next day. The illustrations are super fun to look at ...more
Heidi
What a fun take on "Twas the Night Before Christmas," but this one using the Thanksgiving holiday. Sweet nostalgia for me with some of these parts. Will definitely have out on display for storytime, but maybe I'll give it a go for reading.
Eleftheria Walker
Nov 30, 2014 Eleftheria Walker rated it it was amazing
I used this book to teach a lesson to a second grade class and they absolutely loved it!! It is so cute and fun and creative!!! I would definitely recommend this book!!!
Melissa
Nov 24, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it
Cute holiday book just right to introduce how Thanksgiving is celebrated - just missing the Turkey Trot and watching football!
Drusilla
Nov 16, 2015 Drusilla rated it it was amazing
Set to the tune of Twas the Night Before Christmas with some similar phrasing throughout. Kindergarten loves this book!
Craig Forrester
This homage to Clement Clarke Moore's classic Christmas poem, "Twas The Night Before Christmas," is told from a child's vantage. And while it is both humorous and playful, the rhyme and meter is consistently stilted throughout, with either missed or extra syllables. This make the reading quite uncomfortable, and I found myself correcting the versification to make it read properly. It's a shame, because one could hardly find a better example of iambic poetry than this poem's eponym. With some car ...more
Relyn
Mar 13, 2016 Relyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents
Recommended to Relyn by: my Mom bought it for my daughter
I have a string of Thanksgiving books that I read to my daughter and my second graders. These will be quick reviews based on the reactions of my daughter and students. I put the date the same for each book, but I really read them in the week leading up to Thanksgiving, and on Thanksgiving Day. Under the how many times I've read it category, that will be how many Thanksgivings I've used this book.

This is nice. Just nice. Not fabulous. I use it at home, but not really at school. It's in the pile o
Jenny
A fun Thanksgiving version of the traditional version.
Ambulur
Shelves: 2014-new
O
Neil
Dec 04, 2012 Neil rated it really liked it
Notes: The Night Before Thanksgiving, by Natasha Wing is a good book to read around Thanksgiving.

Book Review: Wing goes off the orginal version of, The Night Before Christmas but this version is all about Thanksgiving. It talks about getting ready for the party by getting the food ready, people arriving, and then eating. Students would really enjoy the pictures.

Recommend: I would recommend this book to students in grades K-3 and I would do it around Thankgiving.
Teri
Nov 01, 2011 Teri rated it really liked it
Clever and cute. I am really enjoying all the Thanksgiving themed children's books. I hadn't realized there are so many. I will have fun collecting and reading them each November to my daughter.
Here are some of the clever lines: "Dad slid out the bird. (It weighed 30 pounds.) He turned, then he tripped over one of our hounds. Up in the air the turkey did fly! Over the string beans and straight for a pie!"
I will leave a little cliffhanger for you.;)
Maria Rizo-campos
I enjoyed reading this book to my students because it is about how much fun families have together. The book is easy, understandable, and has rhymes that help students to read. The story describe all the work that families do together to have the big dinner and the role of the family members.
Tasia
It's a fun read for the kindergarteners on Thanksgiving Eve. We read it at the end of the day for a time-filler, not really using it in a lesson or anything. Just for fun, and they loved it! They especially liked the dancing drumsticks dream page.
Laura Carby
Mar 21, 2012 Laura Carby rated it it was amazing
This books is a version of "Twas the Night Before Christmas." It's a very creative way to think about the holiday and traditions of Thanksgiving. The rhyme of the story also really interest the students.
Deborah Harris
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Stefani
Feb 09, 2011 Stefani rated it liked it
Shelves: read-picture
Cute story. Rhymes were awkward at times. Still, there are few really great Thanksgiving books that this is still one of the better ones.
Dec 16, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Tells of Thanksgiving with the rhythm of Twas the Night Before Christmas. Cute to teach about Thanksgiving with relatives.
Gwhitworth
Mar 27, 2009 Gwhitworth rated it it was amazing
Very cute book for Thanksgiving, patterned after The Night Before Christmas...good trade book to do a Thanksgiving activity with
Sheila
Sep 19, 2009 Sheila rated it it was amazing
Fun, flowing, rhyming picture book all about Thanksgiving that kids will love to hear over and over!
ABC
Nov 18, 2012 ABC rated it liked it
Shelves: younger-kids
Depicts a very traditional Thanksgiving with mom preparing the food, dad serving it, and lots of cousins!
Maren Prestegaard
Nov 24, 2012 Maren Prestegaard rated it really liked it
Shelves: fall
Captured Maren's attention. The rhymes aren't perfect but it kinda works.
Crazy Uncle Ryan
This was a fun book to read to my son. He likes the pictures.
Andrea
Nov 07, 2011 Andrea rated it it was amazing
This story is so cute and my kids love the rhyming and story.
Shacoria
Dec 28, 2010 Shacoria rated it liked it
It's a really cute rhyming story :)
  • Thanksgiving Is for Giving Thanks
  • This First Thanksgiving Day: A Counting Story
  • Squanto's Journey: The Story of the First Thanksgiving
  • Over the River: A Turkey's Tale
  • Turk and Runt: A Thanksgiving Comedy
  • Thanksgiving at the Tappletons'
  • Pumpkin Circle: The Story of a Garden
  • Happy Halloween, Curious George tabbed board book
  • Gracias The Thanksgiving Turkey
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!
Why am I a writer? When I was a young girl, I wanted to be a teacher. I’d line up my stuffed animals in front of a board and teach them the alphabet and how to count. In high school I wanted to be a tennis player. I was on the tennis team, and played at our neighborhood tennis club. Then in college I thought digging dinosaur bones would be a cool job. It wasn’t until I was working at my own public ...more
More about Natasha Wing...