Start by marking “L'homme qui vendit la lune (histoire du futur 1)” as Want to Read:
L'homme qui vendit la lune (histoire du futur 1)
Preview

L'homme qui vendit la lune (Future History or "Heinlein Timeline")

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  7,045 ratings  ·  85 reviews
" Par conséquent... je propose que nous construisions une fusée interplanétaire et que nous l'envoyions sur la Lune ! "
Dixon rompit le silence. " Delos, vous déraillez ! Vous venez de dire que ce n'était plus possible. Maintenant, vous parlez de construire une fusée. Je n'ai pas dit que c'était impossible, mais que nous avions laissé filer notre meilleure chance. L'heure e
Published April 1st 2005 by Gallimard (first published January 1st 1950)

To ask other readers questions about L'homme qui vendit la lune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L'homme qui vendit la lune

Stephen
3.5 stars. This set of short stories plus the title Novella is a good introduction to Heinlein's "Future History" especially the title novella and "The Roads Must Roll." The latter is my favorite from the collection and was included as one of the best short stories of all time by the Science Fiction Writers of America.
Manny
See, the government's never really going to organize a project that will send a man to the Moon, are they? Course not. Just a huge, bloated bureaucracy that's going to waste billions of dollars of the taxpayer's money without achieving a goddamn thing. The only way to do it is to have a smart, unscrupulous entrepreneur, who's determined to make it happen and is willing to bend a few rules to get there. Trust me, the profit motive is more powerful than you think.

Well, having worked at NASA, I mus
Mark
Mar 20, 2012 Mark rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Just about anybody
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a collection of short stories from the master of Science Fiction, Heinlein. I’ve been a big fan of his for years, devouring a lot of his novels. Amy bought this for me for Christmas thinking that it was a novel. I was, admittedly, a little put off from reading it initially because I don’t typically enjoy short stories. But I read the foreword and discovered that Heinlein had written several of his books with the same overarching “story” such that the events of one story are the history a ...more
Camille Mccarthy
I liked this a lot better than "Stranger in a Strange Land" because I feel that Heinlein is a lot better as a short-story writer. With "Stranger in a Strange Land" it seemed like he got a little bit carried away with some of his fantasies and the story kind of ran away with him, but in this collection of somewhat-interconnected stories, the stories are cohesive and succinct and flow together nicely, and his ideas come across well without being shoved down the reader's throat. I still feel like ...more
Raj
This is a collection of five short stories and the titular novella, all set in Heinlein's own future history. I enjoyed most of the stories, although the behaviour of the union in The Roads Must Roll (about the union that brings the America's trunk moving walkways to a halt) took me out of story completely. Mind you, this may be a trans-Atlantic difference - Americans have had a very different history with unions to Europeans, and may find this more believable.

The title story took a long time to
Darth
I go into anything Heinlein knowing he is sci-fi royalty and trying to balance my expections vs remembering many of these are 70 years old.

The stories in this collection have a definitely PULPY feel to them, lots of - "Hey chum what do you think you're doing?" - type of lines in them. A bit corny really, but all in good fun, and written in a WWII world, you have to take them with a pinch of salt.

This being a cog in the wheel of what has come to be called Heinlein's Future History - these are req
Paige
Every time I read Heinlein, I have this moment where I pause and remember I really really like Heinlein. Really good collections of stories here, the title one's my favorite but they're all a really interesting mix of ingenuity, sadness and hope as humanity reaches for something bigger.
Jeff Yoak
There are some really good stories here. Most of them were familiar to me, though this is the first time I had many of them in audio.
Jim
The Man Who Sold the Moon is a collection of six short stories Heinlein wrote early in his career, and were part of what he called his Future History. The original collection came out in 1951 from Shasta Press, but was often cut to four stories when published in paperback. Then in the 1970s I think, they added the two cuts stories back. Most editions after the two Shasta editions dropped the introductions by Heinlein and John W. Campbell. Even in The Past Through Tomorrow, Heinlein big collectio ...more
Miska
Päätarina, "Mies joka myi kuun" on vanhahtava, ja sen vuoksi kenties teknisesti hieman naivi kuvaus yhden miehen lapsellisesta pakkomielteestä päästä Kuuhun. Sinne pääsy edellyttää kokonaan uudenlaisen kuljetusmuodon kehittämisen ja vaatii siksi suuria taloudellisia ponnistuksia. Henkilökohtaiset uhraukset ovat myös kuvauksen kohteena.
Kirja alkaa muutamalla lyhyemmällä tarinalla, jotka tuntuvat liikkuvan ainakin osittain samassa maailmassa kuin kirjan päätarina, joka on lähes romaanimittainen.
Y
Kevin
This is a collection of tales from Heinlein's Future History universe. I listed them below in the order that I read them in, which I believe is almost the publishing order.

Life-Line (1939) 3.5/5 Stars
A man discovers a way to tell when someone is going to die. He first sees it as an opportunity to get rich, but his mind soon changes... This is a very interesting story about what we think we want to know versus what we actually want to know. It brings up some interesting ideas and ends about how
Jason
It seems to me that Robert Heinlein had a lot of interesting ideas, but he never took the time to organize them into a consistent story. It is as if he had an idea, started writing, got halfway through the story and discovered some problem with the plot, then decided to ignore it and just finish his story. This would explain why so many of his books simply turn into rambling social commentaries.
In "The Man who Sold the Moon" Heinlein describes the financial manipulations of a group of business
Nicolas
L’homme qui vendit la Lune est le premier tome de l’histoire du futur d’Heinlein, récement réédité, mais que j’ai récupéré dans une version plus ancienne. Cela dit, ça n’est pas si grave, parce que les différentes nouvelles qu’on y trouve sont pour la plupart exceptionnelles. Et, surtout, elles dressent un portrait sympathique, quoique parfois effrayant, d’une valeur qui est désormais complètement périmée (même si pour ma part j’y crois) : le progrès scientifique.
Ca peut paraître un peu ridicul
Zoffix Znet
I love Heinlein and it's the only reason why this book is worth spending any time on. "The Man Who Sold The Moon" is not the only story in this volume. The book also includes "The Roads Must Roll," "Requiem," "Life Line," and "Blow-Ups Happen." All were written in early 50s, I believe, or even earlier, which is why it's hard to get any excitement over monstrous and loud rolling "roads" (ginormous safety hazard), or atom bombs as power-plants (atomic power plants are nothing new any more; and the ...more
James
"The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak." - Robert Heinlein, The Man Who Sold the Moon

Heinlein's monumental "Future History" series continues. Two scientists develop cheap solar power-and threaten the industrial status quo. The nation's cities are linked by a system of moving roads-and a strike can bring the entire country to a halt. Workers in an experimental atomic plant crack under the mental strain
Ed
A collection of short stories from Grandmaster Robert A. Heinlein. Includes a gem of future technology - The Roads Must Roll.

SciFi - Short Stories - Part of "Future History" series - contains stories: "Let there be light". -- The roads must roll. -- The man who sold the moon. -- Requiem. -- Life line. -- Blowups happen. "The Man Who Sold the Moon" and Requiem" relate D.D. Harriman's quest to establish the first flight to the moon and his dream to accompany it.
John Defrog
Short story collection featuring some of Heinlein’s first “Future History” stories. The title novella, which serves as the centerpiece, tells how billionaire D.D. Harriman manages to develop a business plan to send man to the moon, and then cash in on it. Considering this was written years before NASA even existed, it’s a neat thought exercise on how space travel and moon landings could have developed as a strictly commercial enterprise – but in a way that would avoid the inevitable political co ...more
Joe
Picked this up at the used book store; it's a collection of shorts including The Man Who Sold the Moon. Entertaining to read, but not Heinlein's best work. The characters are a bit predictable and the dialog is "of the period". I'd recommend The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Stranger in a Strange Land, or Time Enough for Love.
Izabela Kolar Furjan
Čovek koji je prodao Mesec
Dnevnik 1988

Robert Hajlajn HEINLEIN, ROBERT A. (USA) ČOVEK KOJI JE PRODAO MESEC Polaris (118), str. 118-228 1995
Robert A. Hajnlajn HEINLEIN, ROBERT A. (USA) ČOVEK KOJI JE PRODAO MESEC The Man Who Sold the Moon Supernova 7, str. 5-169 1988
Jesse
I've heard from many that I needed to read this book, and I finally got around to it.

And I'm glad I did. I really enjoyed Heinlein's future history, and his uncanny ability to hone in on the current sentiment is amazing. I have to assume that these were issues in society 60 years ago as well...but what makes me worried is that we are still dealing with them...and losing...

Anywho, great quick read.
Aries

D. D. Harriman is a billionaire with a dream: the dream of Space for All Mankind. The method? Anything that works. Maybe, in fact, Harriman goes too far.

But he will give us the stars....

(Source: back cover)

Melody
A collection of short stories written in 1949. In retrospect the future wasn't as Mr. Heinlei envisioned it. However the response of politicians and the government to change and new possibilities was spot on. A very interesting read.

Steve C
I find Heinlein an exasperating author, but this collection of early stories is more than satisfactory. Pick of the bunch is "The Roads Must Roll", an acknowldeged classic. If I've any criticism of the writing (and I do) it's a tendency for lumps of exposition to appear in the narrative.
Dev Sodagar
This is a fantastic future history comprised of a series of short stories. I would recommend looking at the time line and reading them in the chronology of the universe, as the published order has a few discrepancies that make little sense. The book still shows a little of Heinlein's right wing tendencies which can grate a little, the feeling that even a woman who is a world renowned biologist is only doing that until she can play homemaker for the man she clearly needs and his love of big busin ...more
Mandy
Max
This is a fantastic collection of sci-fi shorts, all interlinked by Heinlein's 'Future History'. Each book can be taken in its own right but the book is more than the sum of its parts, weaving the stories together and building the 'history' from an unknown future perspective. New transportation, energy production and even a shot at the moon are undertaken in this pretty forward looking (if not radically unbelievable in parts!) book for its time.
The title short is a great book, although the follo
Anachie Stayrook
An educational look into the world of marketing centered around a man's single minded quest to one day walk on the moon.
Viktor Davion
A book about one man's dream. All Heinlein's short novels are united with specific spirit of hope and aspiration. But some heroes didn't aspire their aims though they did a lot of things for it. Delos Harryman is a man of real insight, he is not afraid to make a step into the unknown and he has the power to pull other people with him. But after all IMHO he was betrayed by his companions, they killed his dream and so they killed Delos (because he lived only for his dream). In another Heinlein sho ...more
Chris Stutts
A few of his earliest pre-ww-2 stories, plus "Man" from the late 40s.
Don Gubler
Not Heinlein's best by any stretch but it is redeemingly short.
  • Earth Is Room Enough
  • The Green Brain
  • Against the Fall of Night
  • Trader to the Stars
  • Neutron Star (Known Space)
  • The Years Of The City
  • Close to Critical (Mesklin, #2)
  • Gray Lensman (Lensman, #4)
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2A
Robert Anson Heinlein was an American novelist and science fiction writer. Often called "the dean of science fiction writers", he is one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of "hard science fiction".

He set a high standard for science and engineering plausibility and helped to raise the genre's standards of literary quality. He was the first SF writer to break into mainstre
More about Robert A. Heinlein...

Future History or "Heinlein Timeline" (4 books)
  • The Green Hills of Earth
  • Methuselah's Children
  • The Past Through Tomorrow (Future History, #1-21)
Stranger in a Strange Land Starship Troopers The Moon is a Harsh Mistress Time Enough for Love The Puppet Masters

“Damnit! Nationalism should stop at the stratosphere!” 22 likes