Start by marking “Mountain Light (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Mountain Light (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #2)

Mountain Light (Golden Mountain Chronicles #2)

Their families fought one another for generations, maintaining and age-old blood feud. But that changed when they found themselves on the same side of a new struggle - against the tyrannical Manchu dynasty. By devoting himself fully to the revolution, Squeaky Lau wins Cassia's trust - and her heart.
Published February 14th 1997 by HarperTrophy (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Mountain Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mountain Light

Dorothea
Oct 14, 2012 Dorothea rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Laurence Yep's novel Dragon's Gate was one of my favorite books when I was a child. One of the pleasures of growing up has been realizing how many other books Yep has written -- including some about the same family, the Youngs, who appear in Dragon's Gate.

I didn't realize until I found Mountain Light that this book (and The Serpent's Children, which I haven't yet read) is not only about the Young family, but about the same characters who appear in Dragon's Gate.

Mountain Light happens when Otter,
QNPoohBear
Jul 04, 2016 QNPoohBear rated it really liked it
More than 3, less than 4 Good Reads Stars - I liked it but didn't really really like it.

Squeaky Lau, the clown of his village, has come to Canton to help fight the Manchus. He has little experience and is nearly killed - by a girl! Cassia and her father, known as The Gallant, fiercely believe in freeing their home from the Manchus. Cassia doesn't know if she can trust Squeaky, an enemy from another village, especially after that his people did 6 years ago. Squeaky looks up to Cassia's father and
Sue
Nov 26, 2010 Sue rated it liked it
Second in the Golden Mountain Chronicles, this book tells of another in a continuing line of rebellions against the Manchus and how it affects the village of Three Willows and the Young clan. It also sets the stage for the events in Dragon's Gate, the Newbery Honor Book that comes next, which details life in California building the railroad. It gives insight into the Cassia and Squeaky characters and explains more about the Work. I like this series.
Amyh
May 15, 2014 Amyh added it
I think this book was great it ending was ok but other than that the book was great.
Melissa
Sep 21, 2009 Melissa rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Sherilyn, Laura
I liked what I learned about China and the Chinese coming to America to work mining gold. I guess the only thing I didn't like was that it was written very American. It didn't seem authentic while they were in China.

I would recommend this to kids in later elementary school, and adults who want to read what their kids are reading. It wasn't juvenile to me.
Ruth
Feb 29, 2012 Ruth rated it liked it
It was fun to see another perspective of the Young family. Again, it's left me thinking and that's a good sign. I was sad so many people had to die; it's probably realistic, but it's still sad.
A lot of action in this one; I think younger folks would stay engrossed because of the action.
Jan
Feb 06, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it
It was a pleasant read.
Wendy
May 24, 2013 Wendy rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Middle reader age group.
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Sally Witt
Sally Witt marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2016
Farren B
Farren B marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Evelyn
Evelyn marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Jamie Snell-perkins
Jamie Snell-perkins marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Debora
Debora marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Mckinley
Mckinley rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Kimi
Kimi added it
Aug 07, 2016
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Nathan Osborn
Nathan Osborn marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Indigo Summer
Indigo Summer marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Jade
Jade marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Livi
Livi marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Brittlover
Brittlover marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Zoe
Zoe rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Born June 14, 1948 in San Francisco, California, Yep was the son of Thomas Gim Yep and Franche Lee Yep. Franche Lee, her family's youngest child, was born in Ohio and raised in West Virginia where her family owned a Chinese laundry. Yep's father, Thomas, was born in China and came to America at the age of ten where he lived, not in Chinatown, but with an Irish friend in a white neighborhood. After ...more
More about Laurence Yep...

Golden Mountain Chronicles (10 books)
  • The Serpent's Children (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragon's Gate (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #3)
  • The Traitor (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #4)
  • Dragonwings (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #5)
  • Dragon Road (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #6)
  • Child of the Owl (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #7)
  • Sea Glass (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #8)
  • Thief of Hearts (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #9)
  • Dragons of Silk (Golden Mountain Chronicles, #10)