With a Finger in My I

With a Finger in My I

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Contents:
All of Them Were Empty (1972)
Oracle for a White Rabbit (1969)
Love Story in Three Acts (1970)
Yarst! (1972)
Battle Hum and the Boje (1972)
With a Finger in My I (1972)
How We Saved the Human Race (1972)
The Crystal Castle (1972)
In the Deadlands (1972)
Published June 1st 1972 by Ballantine Books (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about With a Finger in My I, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With a Finger in My I

Scott
A collection of late 60s & early 70s science fiction stories by the author probably best known for "The Trouble with Tribbles."

I had read the title story before where it first appeared, in Harlan Ellison's second Dangerous Visions anthology. Filled with clever wordplay, it takes place in a world where not only does everyone interpret things literally, but reality itself seems to work on that level as well. It is simultaneously funny and sinister.

"How We Saved the Human Race" is an even more...more
Moejoo
A superb collection of stories steeped in its time more than most stuff from the period (early 1970's). There is some fluff here but the book as a whole reads like many an author's Best Of offering. Some diversity in topics also outside SF. The last title is really a long poem that captures well the fear of innocents on a military patrol without bowing (like the rest of the stories also) to the military-infusion especially prevalent during these couple decades. (Not for dummies.)
John
I read this again recently and was blown away by the quality of the stories. Almost every one felt very original even now, which is saying something because it was written in the 70's. This is one of those books I will probably go back to one day. Of course, the author is one of my favorites, so I may be a tiny bit biased. :)
C.J.
A few life-related things kept me from finishing this until today, but this first collection of short stores from the creator of "The Trouble From Tribbles" was a more than enjoyable read.
historyofnow
To be honest, this collection never felt fully developed to me. His ideas, while interesting at times, came across as juvenile. Way too many similes for my taste.
Randy
Early collection of short stories. Quality varies a bit.
Good Reader
Good Reader marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Brian Boutwell
Brian Boutwell marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Traummachine
Traummachine marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2013
Timmy
Timmy marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
Keith
Keith added it
Mar 30, 2013
Jon
Jon added it
Jan 23, 2013
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2012
Jill
Jill added it
Aug 18, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
The Man Who Folded Himself A Matter For Men A Day for Damnation A Rage for Revenge A Season for Slaughter