Where Are You Going? To See My Friend!

Where Are You Going? To See My Friend!

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Legendary author/illustrator Eric Carle pairs with Kazuo Iwamura to create a picture book full of rhyme and repetition, in a question and response format that will delight young readers.

Acclaimed author-illustrator Eric Carle and Japanese artist Kazuo Iwamura have created a unique bilingual book, half in English, half in Japanese, with each half illustrated respectively by...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about Where Are You Going? To See My Friend!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Are You Going? To See My Friend!

Koorihime-sama
CHECKED OUT THE BOOK FROM MY PUBLIC LIBRARY.

APART OF THE GOODREADS 2011 READING CHALLENGE.

Review/Rating:

5 out of 5

Ease of Reading Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 5 out of 5
Plot: 5 out of 5

Five animals and a child go on an adventure to go visit their friends.

This book is pretty much just a fun book with no kind of plot. However, I like how they put Hiragana (どこへいくの?ともだちにあいに!) with romaji next to the Hiragana and English in it. To me, it was a very creative way for children to learn something new....more
Hayley
“どこへいくの? ともだちにあいに!” Where Are You Going? To See My Friend! This is a brilliant bilingual story that skillfully marriages English and Japanese in both text and illustration.

Eric Carle’s illustrations are of an English boy on his way to meet a friend, and along the way he is asked by many animals where he is going. They all decide to come along. This version reads left to right, as is standard in English.

Meanwhile, on the back of the book, we see the cover in Japanese as portrayed by Iwamura Kazuo...more
Y R
I'm a Japanese parent, who'd been looking for a book like this. Simple but a good story with beautiful illustrations and a song at the end. A con is that My 6 years old son tries to read Japanese by reading printed pronunciation besides each Japanese word, instead of reading Japanese itself - and the original pronunciations are sometimes lost in there, so I had to hide them
Molly
This is a book I read with my son. He likes the animals and the simple repetitive story. He does not understand the structure of the Japanese portion of the story, but he does enjoy looking at that version too. I like that he is introduced to the differences in the way written languages operate around the world. I think it is neat to see the immediate retelling of the story through two different illustrators as well. I will recommend this book to my friends.
Brant Rackley
I feel this book is a great way to teach children about multiculturalism. I have this book at home and have read it to my daughter countless times. It shows many different animals interested in others are doing and what they will find on their way to the next friend. The book is also printed in Japanese. This can help children see different languages as well as learn them and hopefully gets them to ask questions about different cultures.
Katie
Very cute book about different types of animals coming together and sharing happiness... "My friend is your friend."
The Japanese is so easy, it's a real confidence booster if you're just learning, lol! There's no Kanji, just Hirigana.
I do have a qualm with the pronunciation guide though. For と the guide was "toe," and I ended up wanting to always say "toh-eh." They should have just used "toh" for that. :\
Dolly
May 16, 2009 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens, japan
A short, interesting story, fairly typical of Eric Carle's works. This time, though, there's a Japanese version that is on the other side of the book and the two meet in the middle. Each author provides his own illustrations, and it makes for an interesting contrast.
Lucero Hernandez
Promotes friendship among different cultures. The book does this with different animals who care about what others are doing and thus go on to find the other friends. This allows for students to accept others and appreciate the different cultures of others.
Nakita
This book is a great multicultural book.It is written in two languages, and promotes friendship among different cultures. I love this book. it is so cute!
Kyoko
A book with Japanese text is good for introduction. It has agates with alphabets for Japanese text. Also children can play roles of animals.
Gail
Mar 17, 2011 Gail rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Eric Carle fans, Nihongo students, kids
Shelves: kcls, fiction
I love its book design. And this is the extent of my Japanese reading and comprehension. I hope to level up soon. ^_^
Emmy Lou
Two stories, one in English, and one in Japanese that meet in the middle. Creative and I liked the art.
Melissa
Very fun for the kids, the kids had fun with the dialogue
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Keena
Keena added it
Jun 11, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around...more
More about Eric Carle...
The Very Hungry Caterpillar The Very Busy Spider The Grouchy Ladybug The Very Quiet Cricket From Head to Toe