Start by marking “A Survey of the New Testament” as Want to Read:
A Survey of the New Testament

A Survey of the New Testament

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  254 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
The third edition of this widely used textbook features a substantial revision. Most significantly, Dr. Gundry has shortened his harmonistic treatment of Jesus' life and expanded his individual treatment of the four Gospels.
Hardcover, 3rd edition, 493 pages
Published September 23rd 1994 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about A Survey of the New Testament, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Survey of the New Testament

Harold Cameron
Oct 27, 2012 Harold Cameron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"The 4th edition of this widely used guide to reading and interpreting the New Testament

This revised edition of Gundry's Survey of the New Testament goes beyond providing background information and technical introductory material and leads students to read the New Testament itself. Whenever possible general questions of introduction and background are tied to assigned readings covering the entire New Testament. In addition, comments on these readings help students with interpretation and follow
Stephanie
Jul 09, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most wonderful textbooks I have ever had. I read it during a three-week class from cover to cover, and I kept it because it was such a helpful, well-written tool to help me understand the NT.
Greg
This is a standard text in more conservative Protestant seminaries. It is a systematic presentation of the New Testament. The textbook does begin with a historical presentation of period but fails to put the text in its historical context and fails to account of the historical critical method and it massive impact of biblical studies in the twentieth century. Instead, he prefers a traditional approach to the texts and a Calvinist theological perspective. The general engagement with the lessons o ...more
Dana
Oct 07, 2008 Dana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Christians and anyone who wants to understand the NT.
I had to read this book for my NT Survey class. It serves as an excellent guide to studying the NT. It also sheds light on the intertestamental period linking the Old and New Testament times. History, culture, and language are all touched in each of the NT books as well as the chronology of the NT. I am really glad I had to read this book and learned a lot from it. Even though it is a textbook it is not dry reading at all and I hope to go back through it again in the future when I can slow down ...more
D.N.
Gundry's NT survey is probably the first proper theology textbook I owned and read. A competent and workmanlike (if dated) overview of the New Testament, which partly explains its popularity and translation into many languages.
Tyler Cox
Good Survey!
Nathaniel
Nov 26, 2008 Nathaniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a lot of great historical background in this book. The thing that this book has going for it is the same thing that I did not like about it. that is, it feels a lot like a junior high text book in it's layout, but at the same time because of the layout it is easy to find particular information concerning a biblical book. I think that anytime I begin to study a new biblical book from now on, I will begin by reading the correlating chapter from Gundry.
Anna
Mar 26, 2008 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This is a great book to expand the study of the New Testament. It explaines what was going on in history at the time the books were written. It gives insight into the lives of the authors of each book and what else was going on in the world at that time. A great way to expand the understanding of the books.
Gary
May 13, 2013 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Started reading, with yellow highlighter, as part of self study. Found a few college
Syllabi online that use this book as primary text. Am only 20 years behind
My goal of learning historical bible to match my keen interest in theological issues...go hand in hand.
Mike Jorgensen
Pretty solid but not earth-shattering. If you've ever read any set of commentaries or intro to the NT book then this one won't be very helpful but if this were used with a new Christian it would be highly effective.
Igor Pericic
Feb 24, 2013 Igor Pericic rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good and essential in understanding the New Testament context. If anyone wants to read whole New Testament this book would be a great help and could serve like a devotional reading too.
Peter
Jul 02, 2012 Peter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good introductory material for the 27 books of the New Testament. This is not a commentary, but background material and brief synopses of the books.
Trevor Binkley
A bit disappointing for a survey. Wished it had more depth, probably will never have a need to reference this book, but was required for my class.
Phil Sessa
Aug 08, 2013 Phil Sessa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great reference, I used this in school, and recently purchased it for logos bible software program. I recommend this if you do NT Survey.
Caleb Gibson
Sep 12, 2012 Caleb Gibson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great pictures = make the book amazing!
1st really big book that I enjoyed. Great explanations of the New Testament books.
Debra
Jan 14, 2014 Debra rated it liked it
A good, brief overview of the Indians who settled at Angel Mounds in Southern Indiana.
Don
May 17, 2007 Don rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talbot Course: Survey of Matthew-Revelation

It's a solid basic book covering the NT.
Bob
Oct 23, 2015 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly colorful page turner compared to the old version!
Jeff Noble
A survey of the New Testament by Robert Horton Gundry (?)
Cheryl
A well-illustrated book for the serious student
Melanie
Nathan
Nathan added it
Jul 26, 2016
Greg Stadter
Greg Stadter rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Norma
Norma marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Stephanie Zhuo
Stephanie Zhuo marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Shelly Jefferson
Shelly Jefferson marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
  • A Survey of the Old Testament (Second Edition)
  • An Introduction to the New Testament
  • Jesus and the Gospels
  • Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels: A Compendium of Contemporary Biblical Scholarship
  • The Epistles to the Colossians, to Philemon, and to the Ephesians (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • The Gospel According to John
  • New Testament Exegesis: A Handbook for Students and Pastors
  • Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar
  • Christianity Through the Centuries: A History of the Christian Church
  • Four Views on the Book of Revelation
  • Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics: An Exegetical Syntax of the New Testament
  • Encountering the Old Testament: A Christian Survey (Encountering Biblical Studies)
  • Introduction to Biblical Interpretation: Revised and Expanded
  • The Book of Revelation, Revised
  • New Testament Survey
  • Encountering the New Testament: A Historical and Theological Survey
  • The Gospel of Mark (New International Commentary on the New Testament)
  • New Testament Introduction
Robert Horton Gundry is Westmont College's Scholar-in-Residence after retiring from a teaching career of nearly forty years. His various areas of expertise include New Testament Greek, Eschatology (end times studies), the Gospels, and New Testament Theology. He received his Ph.D. in New Testament Studies from Manchester University in 1961. He has been honored with the Teacher of the Year Award thr ...more
More about Robert H. Gundry...