Start by marking “Bukowski For Beginners” as Want to Read:
Bukowski For Beginners

Bukowski For Beginners (For Beginners)

Charles Bukowski was many things: an American poet, a novelist, a journalist, a short story writer; He remains a cult figure for realists and cynics of all ages.

Unconventional, raw, and impossible to categorize, his work continues to provide powerful criticism of American culture, a society defined by excess and determined to break the human spirit.

Born in Germany in 1920
Paperback, First Edition, 160 pages
Published April 7th 2015 by For Beginners LLC (first published March 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Bukowski For Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bukowski For Beginners

Matthew Kowalski
Oct 02, 2015 Matthew Kowalski rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
As I read this book and watched the documentary; I saw much of what was my life playing through the pages and the documentary.

I don't have the same will or want for self destruction, but the happiness in aloneness he experienced I also know.

He also was very absorbed in the self, and with self destruction which to some degree I think are American values.

The good news is that the word won, until his last day it could not be stricken from him it was his comfort as much as the women he would find
Miranda (M.E.) Brumbaugh
Great introduction to Bukowski, especially since my viewpoint was that he was a superficial male with an ego who abused women like he did alcohol; understanding his past helps to refocus on the content in his writing. Next up, "Post Office" :)
Amberle Husbands
I received a copy of Bukowski For Beginners as the result of a Goodreads giveaway. I thought this was a good quick read, a good way to brush up on the writer's history. And the heavily-illustrated format was really amusing. My one thought was that, with so much illustration compared to the amount of text, a person buying the book might not feel like they got all the bang they could for their buck. There were, however, several nice examples of Bukowski's poetry included to really give you a tie i ...more
B-MO
Nov 28, 2010 B-MO rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book, I like these beginner series of books....they are graphic novel type history texts basically...that read really fast. I can usually finish one up in a couple of short sittings.

They say for beginners but I think these books are useful as a general background unless you are like a grad student specializing in this field. Although I am semi-familiar with Bukowski I did not know 75% of what was in this text.

A quick polish up.

I had always known Bukowski as the coolest writer of the beat
Luis Guillermo
Jul 12, 2015 Luis Guillermo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good quick read about the author's life. It summarizes Bukowski's evolution as a person and a writer, considering a few precise details but mostly looking at the big picture for each phase of his life.
I just tripped with this in the bookstore and couldn't put it down until I was done with it: this guy was pure badass (I've found each one his works, the ones I've read and the ones I haven't yet, extremely attractive).
Paul Greenberg
Apr 14, 2015 Paul Greenberg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Great book for the Bukowski reader (like me) or newbie. A graphic novel biography with hilarious illustrations. Read it in an evening. Reminded me why I love to read Bukowski.If you're a writer you'll find inspiration in his story. Waiting for my 15 year old to ask me who Bukowski is, so I can whip this out.
Stephen
May 14, 2015 Stephen rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book on goodreads.com !
A bit over-simplified but lays a good groundwork for wanting to find out more about Bukowski.
Digi Munoz
Mar 23, 2012 Digi Munoz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick read.

Excellent summary of Bukowski and his work. Contains a lot of great quotes from him. Reading this really makes me want to re-read some of his books and poetry.

This book really serves its purpose.
Dani Schechtel
Jun 25, 2013 Dani Schechtel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Increíble lo que este tipo ha vivido y escrito, según parece. Precioso resumen de su vida, que te da muchas ganas de leerlo.
Summer Rae Garcia
I am a misogynist junky. He is vile, but in an endearing stinky old man way.
Camila
May 10, 2013 Camila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buena primera aproximación, que da lugar a juicio propio.
Nicole Bugueño
Mar 09, 2015 Nicole Bugueño rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, library
Leído en Junio del 2013
Niamh
Niamh rated it liked it
Sep 27, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Gayle
Gayle marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Jennie Johnson
Jennie Johnson rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Kristen Pierce
Kristen Pierce is currently reading it
May 14, 2016
Mary Jtaylor
Mary Jtaylor marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Inefterno
Inefterno marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2015
Brooke Cheyenne
Brooke Cheyenne rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Petra17
Petra17 marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Venezia.
Venezia. rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2015
James Eardley
James Eardley marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Nicole Agate
Nicole Agate rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015
  • John Steinbeck, Writer
  • The Secret Miracle: The Novelist's Handbook
  • Writing in General and the Short Story in Particular
  • The Long Haul: An Autobiography
  • Lincoln's Battle with God: A President's Struggle with Faith and What It Meant for America
  • Gonzo: A Graphic Biography of Hunter S. Thompson
  • Writing With Intent: Essays, Reviews, Personal Prose, 1983-2005
  • Stories I Tell Myself: Growing Up with Hunter S. Thompson
  • Foxfire 2
  • Memories of John Lennon

For Beginners (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • African History For Beginners