Start by marking “Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain” as Want to Read:
Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain

Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain

Starting today, you don't have to live in pain.

That is the revolutionary message of this breakthrough system for eliminating chronic pain without drugs, surgery, or expensive physical therapy. Developed by Pete Egoscue, a nationally renowned physiologist and sports injury consultant to some of today's top athletes, the Egoscue Method has an astounding 95 percent success ra
Published February 29th 2000 by Bantam Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Pain Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pain Free

Elyse
Jun 17, 2016 Elyse rated it it was amazing
I teach Aqua Yoga and water fitness to 'mostly' the old fart generation. ( 'mostly' for fun as it provides a service which I can offer). Aqua Yoga is growing in popularity. It's a wonderful exercise choice for 'seniors'.....and those recovering from injuries.
While raising my own daughters, I taught Physical Education in a private school.....(Phys. Ed. Director for middle school kids). All the kids were taller than me... Not necessarily faster...but all taller.
I grew up as a gymnastic ....a swi
Darrell Reimer
Nov 09, 2012 Darrell Reimer rated it really liked it
I'm a mostly healthy guy, in my late-40s, and dealing with the sorts of mobility issues that creep up and become a big deal -- specifically Plantar Fasciitis. I skipped straight to the exercises at the end of the book, and found my fasciitis gradually improving. More significantly, I noticed while dressing that a shoulder "tweak" I'd learned to ignore over the years had disappeared.

Three things need to be said. First of all, I've yet to encounter a fitness/health book that isn't framed with an e
OddModicum Rachel
Aug 24, 2014 OddModicum Rachel rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone suffering with pain, Pain management physician, physical therapist or care provider.

Rather remarkable for severe, disabling Myofascial Pain, Chronic Fatigue, and Sleep Disorders. If you've got Fibromyalgia or related chronic pain conditions, try this method!

It just occurred to me as I was rating another title about chronic pain that I'd never reviewed 'Pain Free,' one of my very favorite titles on the subject. You haven't read enough about anatomical structure and how it relates to your pain until you've read this book! It's been a while since I read it, honestly, and am due fo
Annalisa
Jun 12, 2008 Annalisa rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people will chronic pain
Recommended to Annalisa by: Eric
Shelves: resource, non-fiction
My massage therapist lent me this book to give me exercises for my knees so I can start running again. It is a great philosophy that everything in our bodies work together. So my weak ankles from improper foot placement and shoulder slouching to compensate for my height are hurting my knees.

Pain is a body's warning sign and one should not seek to mask pain but the heal it's source. When our bodies are in pain, we naturally put less strain on that area and let the surrounding parts pick up the sl
Girish
Jul 08, 2013 Girish rated it it was amazing
What can I say about this book? It made me pain free in few days that I was struggling to get rid of for long time. I read about this book in 4 Hour Body By Tim Ferris. Out of curiosity I visited Amazon and read the reviews. I decided to buy in India where I live. I suffer from Cervical Spondolosys and pain. Gets worst in the morning. Also found I am losing my balance when I climb down the stairs. Plus feel nausiated in moving AC car/Bus. I tried Physio exercises but did not help. Note that I am ...more
Rebecca Henderson
Nov 28, 2010 Rebecca Henderson rated it really liked it
The premise of the book is that the human body is amazingly designed to maintain itself apart from drugs and surgery and that musculoskeletal pain should be aberrant rather than chronic. Written by an exercise therapist, the book was recommended to me by friends who have had success with the author’s methods, after I began having pain in my ankles during training runs of 7 miles or longer. I agree with what the author has to say about the importance of motion in freeing the body from pain, about ...more
Judi
Aug 20, 2009 Judi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who has a delibitating injury
Recommended to Judi by: Donna Ciolli
This is a first-rate book that I've recommended or given to quite a few people. It has greatly helped me recover from disabling plantar fascitis, and I've also used it in coping with and lessening knee pain and lower back problems. The author is extremely knowledgeable and highly experienced in this field and has dealt with a wide number of intractable sports injuries.

I have not finished the book, nor do I expect to do so, as I have that it is most helpful as a reference book. It has to do with
Debbie Wheeler
I recommend this book to anyone with any physical pain. it makes sense to me.
Christina
Jan 08, 2011 Christina rated it it was amazing
Clear, simple, logical advice, as always.
Claire
May 12, 2012 Claire rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone with a body, anyone who has some physical pain
Recommended to Claire by: individual with a spinal fusion who was helped by this method
Shelves: physical-health
Egoscue's understanding and knowledge is like music to my ears! I've certainly experienced pain and restricted movement - as everyone has at some point, and have lived with someone with chronic disabling pain and increasing immobility (spinal fusion) over my lifetime. It is not easy (which is an total understatement) but Egoscue seems to provide hope.

His approach is that "a little motion goes a long way". I believe this, and he does a good job of providing examples of how pain results from musco
Joe Noto
Oct 15, 2016 Joe Noto rated it it was amazing
Let me first say, this is a very optimistic take on body pain. Doing my best to not give a spoiler, but instead provoke you to pick up this book: The author believes that our bodies are built to last forever, but we don't use them the right way which leads to pain. Essentially, today's luxuries keep us from any modicum of natural physical exertion, and this not how evolution has built us. We experience pain because we are not using the "primary" muscles that are there for us to use, but instead ...more
Marian
Sep 03, 2015 Marian rated it it was amazing
This book was referred to me by Pam & Paola. They both are using this method and have found relief from their chronic conditions. His theory is noteworthy. His methods are easy yet will take discipline to implement like any physical therapy or exercise regime. It is drug-free.
I would consider going to a clinic to learn the proper techniques necessary for me and then I could see following the book. Personally, I learn better with an experiential approach.

I have followed one of his very basic
Rachel
Apr 09, 2015 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Wow. I've suffered from severe pain in my right hip for the past 3 years - since being thrown from an overly-excited and galloping horse. I've tried yoga, massage, kinesiology and so much more to relieve the pain. Nothing stopped it completely. Until I tried the E-cises in Pain Free. And I mean, I felt noticeable changes the same day. Serious relief. I must admit that I was skeptical, but I am a believer in the methods described in this book. If you are suffering from pain, YOU NEED THIS BOOK! I ...more
Diana
Oct 02, 2016 Diana rated it it was amazing
Excellent book that provides simple exercises that realign and balance your body. As an older and regular yoga student, I found that certain areas (lower back and hips) would get sore. One of my yoga instructors recommended this book as an alternative to medication. The author's theory is that most folks suffer from a misalignment of the spine that puts pressure on the compensating joints and muscles. Pure and simple, the exercises work. If these exercises can keep me from taking medication or r ...more
May 11, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing
I stumbled onto this book after doing some research to try and improve what had become chronic neck, shoulder and back issues. I wasn't aware of how two foot operations changed my balance and gate (which caused problems elsewhere). The exercises presented appear quite simple, but are actually very challenging. I am now keenly aware of how much body misalignment, and lack of motion affect everything from sleep to vision. I highly recommend people of all fitness levels and ages read this book.
David
Sep 15, 2007 David rated it liked it
For me, it was an "ah-ha" moment explaining how the body and muscles work and how chiropractors, physical therapists, massage therapists try to address aches and pain. There are specific sections on what exercises to do to address pains in particular areas. The exercises themselves are rather mundane, but are a good start.
Alice-Anne
Sep 24, 2014 Alice-Anne rated it it was amazing
Although I've not exactly finished reading it completely, I have followed the exercises (e-sices) in this book for the past 4+ months and it's helped me tremendously with my pain issues. If you have any pain or chronic pain anywhere--or just want to improve posture and strengthen muscles to avoid injury and pain--I would highly recommend this book. I'm so grateful I found it.
Maggie Shayne
Sep 15, 2014 Maggie Shayne rated it it was amazing
After 11 days of nonstop sciatic nerve pain that nothing could touch, I found relief immediately with this book. After doing the easy exercises it contains the pain ebbed, and I'm continuing to do the daily work and feeling better every day. I'm so glad I found this book! I know people who go through years of pain from this condition. There's no need for narcotics or surgery. Try this first!
Phil Sykora
Jan 25, 2015 Phil Sykora rated it really liked it
I'm struggling on whether or not I should add this to my account because I definitely did not read all of it; only the information that was relevant to me. I've been following the back pain program for a few days now and I've noticed a huge improvement.

I'll update later as to whether or not it pays off in the long term.

I really liked the Jack Nicklaus story, by the way.
Cassandra Kelly
Dec 01, 2016 Cassandra Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Mostly outdated now, but several oh his theories were in track with what we've come to understand in neurology and therapeutic techniques, though of course several were for wrong reasons, and some didn't pan out. But that's how scientific theories work-- build the best hypothesis with currently known knowledge. Was probably a pretty cutting edge ideas in his time.
RetroHound
Mar 25, 2016 RetroHound rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
5 stars is probably a little strong, but this book helped me stand up straight and take the curve (non-scoliosis) out of my back. It's helped with headaches also. Probably related to the curve in my back.

What this book is, is a bunch of yoga-like positions that you hold for 5 or 10 minutes to get muscles stretched and bones aligned. YMMV.
Willie O
May 03, 2016 Willie O rated it it was amazing
A great resource. I don't think I'll ever be done with this book. It is one that you can periodically check back and review the methods and techniques in maintaining a healthy and well tuned body.
Elizabeth Sims
Mar 12, 2017 Elizabeth Sims rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
This book is my go-to for any kind of musculoskeletal issues. It has helped me tremendously many, many times, and I keep giving it away and buying it again.
Beverli Haroldsen
Sep 20, 2016 Beverli Haroldsen rated it really liked it
My aunt who is a massage therapist recommended this to me, as she does to all her clients. Really interesting read about how the musculoskeletal system is supposed to work and heal itself just like every other body system. The author says we are too quick to use surgery, braces, pills etc. to relieve pain when the underlying cause remains (lack of proper movement resulting in weakness and misalignment). The book includes simple stretches and exercises for healing from chronic pain, maintaining c ...more
Kara
Jun 23, 2015 Kara rated it really liked it
My massage therapist recommended this book when I continually returned to him for neck and back pain. He suggested, as this book posits, that most people live their lives in a small box in front of us: we drive, type, cook, wash dishes, etc all in a small area directly in front of us. Egoscue suggests that most pain comes from lack of motion, misalignment of the body, and certain muscles making up for weak or strained muscles, resulting in pain. He also suggests that almost all muscular pain can ...more
Justin Hill
Oct 18, 2016 Justin Hill rated it it was amazing
I had kind of given up on my sciatica and back pain, but this book has given me some hope. A week into it I'm getting 2-3 hours of relief per day, which is supposed to increase.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the author's tone of "This is the only method that works and all other methods are not only ineffective, they're dangerous!" (paraphrased) is annoying.

A lot of the exercises say "Go back to chapter 2 for a description of this exercise, but don't use a pillow like in the photo, and do i
Erika
Apr 05, 2008 Erika rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
One of the physical therapists I work with is utilizing many methods in this book to help correct posture, vertigo, tinnitus, and other chronic pain syndromes. I am currently doing three of the many exercises in the book to try to correct my forward head posture resultant from a dysfunctional thoracic spine and scapula plus the many hours of work leaning forward every day. I am eager to see if the methods help me, and to read the philosophy behind these positional techniques.... I'll add more on ...more
Robert
Jan 03, 2012 Robert rated it really liked it
This is a book that I will consult again and again. It's best used as a reference, while working with an Egoscue trained therapist, but it can work as a means to get started on your own. This is a wonderful method to relieve musculoskeletal pain and promote good health. I've just scratched the surface of it, but it has helped me considerably with soreness and in relieving aches and pains. The movements are simple and non-stressful. There's no building up to heavier or more strenuous workouts. It ...more
Kelly
Nov 21, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me, as the person who told me about it found the exercises to be very helpful. For me, I think the information provided in it is great. In regards to the exercises, I gave them a try (on more than one occasion and following his direction) and they ended up further aggravating my body. So I was a bit disappointed in that, but no fault to the author. I have continued to go back into the book because of the detailed information that's provided, and to re-read portions t ...more
Emily
Aug 22, 2009 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It feels a bit dishonest reading this book, as I only skimmed the chapters that didn't apply to me (shoulders, hands, feet, etc.). But I believe I read it in the way the author intended it to be read and used. His philosophies seemed sound until I did the exercises (E-cises) recommended. Not only did I not feel pain relief, I felt more pain. I'm still deciding if it is worth trying again, or if I should wait until I'm under a physical therapist's supervision.

So for me, the book was well written
  • 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back: Natural Posture Solutions for Pain in the Back, Neck, Shoulder, Hip, Knee, and Foot
  • Staying Healthy with the Seasons: 21st-Century Edition
  • The Genius of Flexibility: The Smart Way to Stretch and Strengthen Your Body
  • Anatomy of Movement
  • Stretching Anatomy
  • 30 Essential Yoga Poses: For Beginning Students and Their Teachers
  • Juicing for Life: A Guide to the Benefits of Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Juicing
  • Teaching Yoga: Exploring the Teacher-Student Relationship
  • Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists
  • The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief
  • Your Inner Physician and You: CranoioSacral Therapy and SomatoEmotional Release
  • Trail Guide to the Body: A hands-on guide to locating muscles, bones and more (Fourth Edition)
  • The Cortisol Connection: Why Stress Makes You Fat and Ruins Your Health � And What You Can Do About It
  • The Little Book of Energy Medicine: The Essential Guide to Balancing Your Body's Energies
  • Move Your DNA: Restore Your Health Through Natural Movement
  • Joint Hypermobility Handbook- A Guide for the Issues & Management of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Hypermobility Type and the Hypermobility Syndrome
  • The New Rules of Posture: How to Sit, Stand, and Move in the Modern World