Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain

Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Starting today, you don't have to live in pain.

That is the revolutionary message of this breakthrough system for eliminating chronic pain without drugs, surgery, or expensive physical therapy. Developed by Pete Egoscue, a nationally renowned physiologist and sports injury consultant to some of today's top athletes, the Egoscue Method has an astounding 95 percent success ra...more
Published February 29th 2000 by Bantam Books (first published 1998)

Msm by Deborah MitchellGod's Counterpoints by Crystal LinnPerfect Nothing by Rachel  HunterCulpeper's Complete Herbal by Nicholas CulpeperNeal's Yard Natural Remedies by Susan Curtis
PAIN
25th out of 32 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Darrell Reimer
I'm a mostly healthy guy, in my late-40s, and dealing with the sorts of mobility issues that creep up and become a big deal -- specifically Plantar Fasciitis. I skipped straight to the exercises at the end of the book, and found my fasciitis gradually improving. More significantly, I noticed while dressing that a shoulder "tweak" I'd learned to ignore over the years had disappeared.

Three things need to be said. First of all, I've yet to encounter a fitness/health book that isn't framed with an e...more
Annalisa
Jun 12, 2008 Annalisa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people will chronic pain
Recommended to Annalisa by: Eric
Shelves: resource, non-fiction
My massage therapist lent me this book to give me exercises for my knees so I can start running again. It is a great philosophy that everything in our bodies work together. So my weak ankles from improper foot placement and shoulder slouching to compensate for my height are hurting my knees.

Pain is a body's warning sign and one should not seek to mask pain but the heal it's source. When our bodies are in pain, we naturally put less strain on that area and let the surrounding parts pick up the sl...more
Girish
What can I say about this book? It made me pain free in few days that I was struggling to get rid of for long time. I read about this book in 4 Hour Body By Tim Ferris. Out of curiosity I visited Amazon and read the reviews. I decided to buy in India where I live. I suffer from Cervical Spondolosys and pain. Gets worst in the morning. Also found I am losing my balance when I climb down the stairs. Plus feel nausiated in moving AC car/Bus. I tried Physio exercises but did not help. Note that I am...more
Rebecca Henderson
The premise of the book is that the human body is amazingly designed to maintain itself apart from drugs and surgery and that musculoskeletal pain should be aberrant rather than chronic. Written by an exercise therapist, the book was recommended to me by friends who have had success with the author’s methods, after I began having pain in my ankles during training runs of 7 miles or longer. I agree with what the author has to say about the importance of motion in freeing the body from pain, about...more
David
For me, it was an "ah-ha" moment explaining how the body and muscles work and how chiropractors, physical therapists, massage therapists try to address aches and pain. There are specific sections on what exercises to do to address pains in particular areas. The exercises themselves are rather mundane, but are a good start.
Lisa
Photos, science and simple common sense stretches for truly relieving chronic back/neck pain at home. It works!
Debbie Wheeler
I recommend this book to anyone with any physical pain. it makes sense to me.
Christina
Clear, simple, logical advice, as always.
Claire
Jun 23, 2012 Claire rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with a body, anyone who has some physical pain
Recommended to Claire by: individual with a spinal fusion who was helped by this method
Shelves: physical-health
Egoscue's understanding and knowledge is like music to my ears! I've certainly experienced pain and restricted movement - as everyone has at some point, and have lived with someone with chronic disabling pain and increasing immobility (spinal fusion) over my lifetime. It is not easy (which is an total understatement) but Egoscue seems to provide hope.

His approach is that "a little motion goes a long way". I believe this, and he does a good job of providing examples of how pain results from musco...more
Terry
A pretty easy read and the exercises are nothing unusual. I really want to believe the wrist exercises will alleviate my de Quervain's tendonitis, but have to admit I'm a bit skeptical. Would love to hear from anyone who might've found relief from de Quervain's using the Egoscue e-cises.
Judi
Oct 11, 2012 Judi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who has a delibitating injury
Recommended to Judi by: Donna Ciolli
This is a first-rate book that I've recommended or given to quite a few people. It has greatly helped me recover from disabling plantar fascitis, and I've also used it in coping with and lessening knee pain and lower back problems. The author is extremely knowledgeable and highly experienced in this field and has dealt with a wide number of intractable sports injuries.

I have not finished the book, nor do I expect to do so, as I have that it is most helpful as a reference book. It has to do with...more
Robert
This is a book that I will consult again and again. It's best used as a reference, while working with an Egoscue trained therapist, but it can work as a means to get started on your own. This is a wonderful method to relieve musculoskeletal pain and promote good health. I've just scratched the surface of it, but it has helped me considerably with soreness and in relieving aches and pains. The movements are simple and non-stressful. There's no building up to heavier or more strenuous workouts. It...more
Erika
One of the physical therapists I work with is utilizing many methods in this book to help correct posture, vertigo, tinnitus, and other chronic pain syndromes. I am currently doing three of the many exercises in the book to try to correct my forward head posture resultant from a dysfunctional thoracic spine and scapula plus the many hours of work leaning forward every day. I am eager to see if the methods help me, and to read the philosophy behind these positional techniques.... I'll add more on...more
Emily
It feels a bit dishonest reading this book, as I only skimmed the chapters that didn't apply to me (shoulders, hands, feet, etc.). But I believe I read it in the way the author intended it to be read and used. His philosophies seemed sound until I did the exercises (E-cises) recommended. Not only did I not feel pain relief, I felt more pain. I'm still deciding if it is worth trying again, or if I should wait until I'm under a physical therapist's supervision.

So for me, the book was well written...more
Chrystalin
In theory it makes sense to me. Now for practical application!
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
I used their method almost 20 years ago when I had plantar fasciitis and it worked wonders. I am much older now and I have done something that is causing knee pain. The book contains E-cises that are designed to get your body back in alignment and stop the pain. They worked for my feet and they are working for my knees. They do take a lot of time as you have to hold certain positions for up to 45 minutes but are much better than surgery or drugs. Check the book out if you are experiencing any ty...more
Eileen Huber
Much of the reasoning makes sense. Now to put it into practice and see how effective it is.
Lincoln
The logic behind his concepts remind me a lot of the concepts in eating a paleo diet, which has worked well for me and so far the exercises have helped me, after doing rolfing and chiropractic work as well as working with a doctor, this makes the most sense to me. I may make an update after further investigation. The pigeon toe exercise surprise me as my back began popping just standing that way, almost as good as my chiropractic adjustments, did I mention I did Chiropractor visits for two years...more
Karen
This book saved my knee pain and planter pain from destroying my life.
Adam
VERY interesting theories. I find it annoying how the author constantly talks about our evolution but refers to the body's function as "by design." What doesn't leave me confused, though is the method he proposes for alleviating chronic muscular and skeletal pain. The few exercises I've started doing (and doing half-heartedly) have already begun changing my posture and they've decreased the amount of pain I've had in various joints. Definitely worth the read.
Joni
The authors explain very clearly how the body works and how to eliminate many forms of chronic pain most people now suffer from in this fast read.

I think it would be easier to use if there were complete instructions for the e-cises in each menu, but that would make the book too large. And I never like it when books have text boxes interspersed, especially when they don't coincide with the end of a paragraph or section.
Asrai Devin
The reasoning behind pain is easy to realize once you read the book: bad, off-balance posture.
The e-cises are simple. but really once you commit to doing them EVERYDAY, they make a huge difference in just a few days. I only have to do my problem areas a few times a month and then the rest is just maintainence (which is outlined at the end of the book). Highly reccomend for anyone who has any short of pain.
Cara
My shoulder has been screwed up for three years and getting worse all the time. I'm a week and a half into the three week program of e-cises to fix it, and I can't believe how much better it is. Even just one session made a huge difference. If all the stuff in the book works as well as the shoulder stuff has worked for me, this guy should get a medal. It's unbelievable.
Mary
I can't give any health book a 5 star rating if it claims to be the only thing you need for good health or pain-free or whatever. The body is way more complex than that. That said, I do feel differences when I actually keep up on the positional exercises. I will probably keep this up even after my back pain is gone.
Moethedog
While this is a decent book, it is misleading in that there is no such thing as pain free for the chronic pain patient (of which I am one). It makes many good points and shows one ways of reducing pain but not everyone can do all that is suggested and indeed some might be detrimental depending on one's condition.
Jim Razinha
What a load of malarkey. Even goes the extra step of using a capital letter for his BS "Method". Exercise...and your pain goes away. Yeah, right.

Not only not recommended, but going into the donate pile. Good thing I found it on the HPB clearance shelf for only a buck.

4 plus stars?? Serious?
Nita
This stuff really works. Cured years of back pain in a few months. See my previous review of _The Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion_. This book is more specific to many areas of the body. I've used it for back, knee, hip, shoulder pain and headaches. Sounds too good to be true, but it's not.
Nancy Long
Lots of good ideas in this book. I've been using several of the exercises and find them very effective. There have been two instances where I completed the entire routines for hips and back to bring much needed relief. I highly recommend this book to anyone who lives with chronic pain.
Emily
Crazy to start to feel a difference after just doing some exercises, but the pain I've had in my upper back is almost completely gone and my headaches aren't coming in the unstoppable frequency that was really starting to worry me. Definitely recommend this if your body is in pain.
  • 8 Steps to a Pain-Free Back: Natural Posture Solutions for Pain in the Back, Neck, Shoulder, Hip, Knee, and Foot
  • Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists
  • Anatomy of Movement
  • Energy Medicine for Women: Aligning Your Body's Energies to Boost Your Health and Vitality
  • The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • Yoga: The Iyengar Way
  • Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic
  • The Way of Qigong: The Art and Science of Chinese Energy Healing
  • Reiki, the Healing Touch: Japanese Reiki Techniques and Hayashi Healing Guide
  • Juicing, Fasting, and Detoxing for Life: Unleash the Healing Power of Fresh Juices and Cleansing Diets
  • The Anatomy Coloring Book
  • The Breathing Book: Good Health and Vitality Through Essential Breath Work
  • Nature-Speak: Signs, Omens and Messages in Nature
  • The Grey Album: Music, Shadows, Lies
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Barefoot Running Step by Step: Barefoot Ken Bob, The Guru of Shoeless Running, Shares His Personal Technique
  • Between Heaven and Earth
The Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion: Revolutionary Program That Lets You Rediscover the Body's Power to Rejuvenate It Pain Free for Women: The Revolutionary Program for Ending Chronic Pain Pain Free at Your PC Pain Free Living: The Egoscue Method for Strength, Harmony, and Happiness Egoscue Method of Health Through Motion (2 Cass)