Start by marking “Richard Halliburton's Complete Book of Marvels” as Want to Read:
Richard Halliburton's Complete Book of Marvels

Richard Halliburton's Complete Book of Marvels

The Exciting Travels in the New World and Old of America's foremost adventurer-Fully illustrated with maps and photographs, 2 in 1 book.
640 pages
Published November 1960 by The Bobbs-Merrill Company, Inc. (first published 1937)

Jun 30, 2013 Miriam rated it really liked it

Aw, dorktastic! I can totally imagine some nerdy little kids of yesteryear poring intently over this tome, memorizing its factual information and dreaming of visiting these marvellous dams, bridges, and geographic features. Halliburton's voice is perfect for the book: he's just so excited about even the driest data! This delight in factual information is especially impressive in an individual so outdoorsy and adventurous, as these qualities are not often found together.

This book made a generati
Kerri (Book Hoarder)
Mar 05, 2015 Kerri (Book Hoarder) rated it really liked it
This book fascinated me as a kid - my grandmother had it as two separate books, actually... I need to check to see if she still has them! I used to reread them all the time, completely captivated, and I think that's when and how I developed my love for history.

Halliburton's writing is easily accessible and makes this easy reading for children and adults alike, and can easily instill a wonder for the world and a desire to travel. I'd definitely recommend it, even if some information will undoubt
Kelly Sedinger
Jan 01, 2015 Kelly Sedinger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
Oh, wow, this book...this is a volume that informed so much of my life, filling my youth with wonder at a time when I was particularly open to it. My mother got a copy somehow, on an interlibrary loan or something like that, when I was 14 or 15, and it just hit me between the eyes. A few years later she tracked down a copy for me for Christmas, and the book has occupied a treasured place in my personal library ever since.

(Story: My mother apparently commissioned my older sister, who lived in a l
Penelope Dreadfulle
Jun 07, 2013 Penelope Dreadfulle rated it it was amazing
This is the third book I received from my father for my tenth birthday along with The Good Master and The Singing Tree, both by Kate Seredy... But this one was different. Instead of the brand new book smell I was used to smelling on birthdays and Christmas, I smelled the old book library smell. My father had received this book for his tenth birthay from his father and chose this day to pass it on to me. He gave it to me to show me the world. For that is what this book contains, no more and no le ...more
Oct 17, 2010 Shipley rated it it was amazing
This is not a children's book, but it was the book that my father read to my brother and me every night for what seemed like years during my childhood. I have the best memories of this book -- though my memories are more about being cuddled up with my dad and brother on my brother's bed than they are about the adventures Halliburton describes.
Melanie Kendall
Apr 04, 2016 Melanie Kendall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-children
This is our favorite book for geography! We look forward to reading it every week. So well written and interesting. We are learning a lot and I highly recommend it!!
Nate Golon
Jun 16, 2014 Nate Golon rated it it was amazing
Halliburton sits on top of the Golden Gate Bridge, and there is no road far below, as it's still under construction. An amazing look at the world through the eyes of a worldwide traveler in the 1930s.
Aug 22, 2008 Ruth rated it it was amazing
As a kid I adored this book. It still colors the way I see the world. I wish I could remember who gave it to me.
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm 68 years old and I'm reading this book again to see if it conjures up the fascination it did when I first read it at age 10 or reread it at age 12. Halliburton was truly gifted in making faraway and historical places come alive in a style that could appeal to children and adults. It's a tragedy he was lost at sea when he was only 39. What marvels would he have found in the world of the 1970's? I keep trying to think of the wonders of today's world and wish there was a Halliburton to make the ...more
Sep 24, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing
This is the most amazing travel / geography book I have come across. I read it out loud to my children last year as part of our homeschool curriculum. Richard Halliburton traveled all over the world through the 1920's and 1930's, scaled mountains, swam the length of the Panama Canal, participated in pilgrimages and ceremonies most outsiders were not welcome to, and had a great respect and interest in cultures and customs. His travel books were a sensation in his time, and although some of the co ...more
Rhana Williams
Jun 17, 2015 Rhana Williams rated it it was amazing
My seventh grade English teacher had very old copies of the two-volume set at the back of the classroom. We were allowed to read from her library when we had free time, and these were the books I gravitated toward. Such adventures! Many years later I found this complete book on Alibris and immediately bought it. Halliburton's adventures still enthrall me.
Mar 26, 2014 Paul rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Paul by: Tom Nash
Why wasn't this book a part of my childhood? This 1960 reissue would have been perfect. What a great travelogue, and the pictures are spectacular. Of course, the world has certainly changed since the book was written. The addition of a section at the end, about Halliburton's last ill-fated adventure (sailing a Chinese Junk from Hong Kong to San Francisco - all hands lost at sea) was fascinating and sad and eerie.
May 20, 2015 Renee rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books from childhood. I have read this book many times since about the age of 10. Still have the 1st edition from 1960.
Aug 03, 2016 Anna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ao-year-5, 2016
You are there! Five stars with a caveat: both my son and I found the chapter on Timbuctoo (entitled "The Slave City") quite disturbing - Halliburton and his friend buy two child slaves to keep off the bats that have been driving them crazy during their stay in the city. It did provoke some discussion, but I am still not sure if it was worth the distress. There are a few other instances of racist ideas that are easily edited if reading aloud. In general it is a beautiful mix of fact and story tha ...more
May 12, 2015 Marla rated it really liked it
Fun book of travel with interesting history.
Sep 16, 2013 Will rated it really liked it
Ely and I have been reading this book before bed for months. We finally finished tonight. The book concludes with a tragic coda comprising letters, columns and cables from his ill-fated attempt to cross the Pacific in a Chinese junk in 1939. He has a wonderful writing tone. Nice work for a boy from Memphis. My grandparents gave this copy to my dad in 1970 as a graduation present from college.
Sep 14, 2007 Steve rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all
Shelves: history
My Literature professor in a Great Books class brought this in one day. I looked at it for about 10 seconds and knew I had to have one. I have since bought a copy for my own bookshelves as well as copies for friends. The easy to read and enchantingly written first hand accounts that accompany the amazing pictures in this collection make it a great read and a very good conversation piece.
Sep 06, 2008 Clare rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, travel
This is an interesting book, even though some of the wonders of the world Sir Halliburton went in search of are long gone or well-known today. When he went on this journey, traveling was not as easy as it was today. His writing portrays that derring-do of so many of his fellow countrymen as he goes in search of the ancient wonders of the world, and he doesn't disappoint.
Nov 28, 2012 Hildegart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
My grandmother gave me this book years ago. I really enjoyed it and have somehow misplaced it so I could never quite remember the title or author's name! Somehow, doing a google search for class (yes, it really was classwork), I came across a reference to this book and voila! Here it is!
May 01, 2009 Doug rated it really liked it
My dad suggested this to me when I was about 12 or 13. I was absolutely captivated by Mr. Halliburtons' adventures (like swimming the locks of the Panama Canal - since everything goes through the locks based on weight I think he had to pay all of a quarter or less.)
Feb 10, 2011 Flunderingchipper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
This book can spark your imagination more than a lot of fiction out there. It allows you to look at the world as it really is - exciting, mysterious, and romantic. This book is one of the reasons I dream about travelling all over the world. Thank you, Mr. Halliburton!
Aug 24, 2010 Capt rated it really liked it
So far so good. It is interesting to read about all of the most wonderful places on the planet, and to hear stories from their past. It is also awesome to hear of all the places one would otherwise hear little or nothing about, which are really quite fascinating.
Jan 02, 2013 Thadd rated it it was amazing
I read this astonishing book, one with great black and white photos of Yosemite and other places, at the age of ten. I wish I hadn't lost it. Grab a copy and enjoy.

Also, this was one of a handful of books in our house, a place in a small town in Michigan.
Jul 04, 2011 Thadd rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this fun book when I was a kid. The photos of Yosemite, the Panama Canal and other places inspired me, made me want to travel to these places. Years later, while visiting Yosemite, something I did several times, I felt as I was living out a dream.
Jul 19, 2007 Jrobertus rated it really liked it
halliburton is one of the greatest adventure travelers and takes his audience, aimed at children, but good for anyone, along for the ride (1937). the narrative is interesting and amusing with refreshingly breathless prose. a truly wonderful read.
Sarah-Lambert Cook
Being read stories from this book over and over by my mother when I was a little girl planted in me a love of adventure and travel. It's a seed I'm still watering and letting grow and grow into a life of exploring.
Dec 20, 2007 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a two book set that covers travels around the world before WWII. He even refers to WWI as "the great war". I have read these over and over and they never get dull. Best travel books I've ever read
Matt Howard
Apr 14, 2007 Matt Howard rated it it was amazing
I read this for the first time when I was 12 or 13. It lit an interest in the world. I made a special point of visiting Carcasonne in France because of this book.
Nov 01, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
AMAZING. Shaped my childhood brain.
Aug 23, 2007 Karen rated it it was amazing
My favorite book of all times.
  • This Country of Ours
  • The Court of the Last Tsar: Pomp, Power and Pageantry in the Reign of Nicholas II
  • Crowfall
  • How the Heather Looks: A Joyous Journey to the British Sources of Children's Books
  • Anzac Girls: The Extraordinary Story Of Our World War 1 Nurses
  • Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs
  • The Story of the World: Early Modern Times from Elizabeth I to the Forty-Niners Activity Book 3: History for the Classical Child (Story of the World: History for the Classical Child)
  • Then Sings My Soul
  • The Blue Sky
  • Women of the Twelfth Century, Vol 1: Eleanor of Aquitaine and Six Others
  • The World Crisis, 1911-1918
  • Parables from Nature
Writer, Lecturer, and World Traveler, Richard Halliburton published numerous books during his short lifetime. During his world travels, he visited exotic locales such as the Taj Mahal in India, climbed the Matterhorn, flew across the Sahara desert in a bi-winged plane, and swam the entire length of the Panama Canal. He also roamed the Mediterranean Sea retracing the route followed by Ulysses in Ho ...more
More about Richard Halliburton...